Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Probably more like Channel Awesome revenue + youtube revenue is a living wage but youtube revenue alone isn't.

Bet there’s some bad news coming about Channel Awesome revenue though.

Especially if they can’t just limit themselves to just two horrible responses and have to do a video that’s at best going to turn out like the Trump pussy-grab video.

At worst it will be the parody video someone imagined above where they reenact what “really” happened by making their two actors play Holly Brown as a drooling yokel in a straw hat and overalls who can’t read a contract, or Lindsay in an ss uniform with the female symbol in place of the skulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Remember when Doug had a tantrum about Tommy wiseau flagging his The Roomvideo so he made a response video where he Put on a bad wig and yelled in a bad polish accent for twenty minutes? I'm betting their video response will be like that except with Doug playing everyone else.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 12, 2018

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I like Guru Larry and had no idea he was part of Channel Awesome. That's disappointing. I probably didn't know this because I haven't visited CA's website more than once or twice because I have always found the Nostalgia Critic to be completely insufferable. Watching him screech loudly and pretend to fire a gun in poorly lit amateurish videos makes me bleed from my ears and eyes. Thank God we don't have smellovision or else it would be offensive to all of my senses.

e X posted:

True, but there is a difference between having a personal, subjective admiration for something and being obsessed with it. Like, if SMB3 was such an important game to him, good for him, but that doesn't mean that everything that everything published past 1989 is crap. Hell, even that would be fine if he had any arguments for it that isn't just Jocks :argh:

Moviebob needs to get over highschool. Goddamn. He should love Ready Player One because he's as much of a pathetic neckbeard as Ernest Cline is. He makes me want to go play some Madden and Halo.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Apparently Tamara and Malcolm tweeted near identifical refutations of the claims.

https://twitter.com/TamaraLChambers/status/984280859242106880?s=19

https://twitter.com/MalcolmtheRay/status/984285932995207169?s=19

Feels like they're quoting right from a Michaud press release. Tamara's account had one extremely close to Malcom's in wording but it was deleted.

Sad to hear assholes are apparently hounding them as well. They don't deserve it as they're locked into contracts.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I kinda wish we were privy to the response CA made to each contributor who left. I'm curious if CA tried to persuade people to stay or if it was just a "kay" response. It really seems like they're attempting to only make themselves look good, which is really looking like they're focused solely on the youtube channel and Nostalgia Critic.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Back in the day, when it was pretty active, I was a semi-regular on Spoony's forum. A lot of other CA folks posted there at the time. One thing I remember is that there was one guy with a weird, random account name who was apparently Michaud. Either he said he was, or other people confirmed that he was, or both, but in any case, pretty certain it was him. Anyway, he had like 20 posts and all of them were pretty much just him coming out of nowhere to go off on people who posted mild criticism of CA. I don't think I ever had any interaction with him though, just noticed him going off on other folks.

Also, I'm half-expecting the video response to feature the return of Douchey McNitpick or whatever he was called.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

rujasu posted:

Also, I'm half-expecting the video response to feature the return of Douchey McNitpick or whatever he was called.

They are that tone deaf aren't they?

Oh funny. They only put NC up on the main site this week, likely afraid of the YouTube community's response.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 12, 2018

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mokinokaro posted:

They are that tone deaf aren't they?

Two weeks ago I'd have said they weren't that stupid. Now? I wouldn't be surprised by anything.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
"May truth prevail" is one of the scariest FAKE NEWS lines that you know Michaud wrote their tweets for them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leal posted:

I kinda wish we were privy to the response CA made to each contributor who left. I'm curious if CA tried to persuade people to stay or if it was just a "kay" response. It really seems like they're attempting to only make themselves look good, which is really looking like they're focused solely on the youtube channel and Nostalgia Critic.

You're forgetting that several once-key contributors have been fired with a brief Skype message and discovering they no longer have access to their account on the CA website along with their videos being removed.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Maybe Tony Goldmark is trying to rebuild some bridges.

https://twitter.com/tonygoldmark/status/984340403590610945

https://twitter.com/tonygoldmark/status/984345011733970944

https://twitter.com/Obscurus_Lupa/status/984343092022169600

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A little humility is always welcome.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Just look at how easy it is to stop or slow the bleeding after stabbing yourself repeatedly. You can’t reverse damage or repair a relationship, but just by sincerely taking responsibility it is possible to just end it and then you can keep going.

And they couldn’t even do that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Apparently Tamara and Malcolm tweeted near identifical refutations of the claims.

https://twitter.com/TamaraLChambers/status/984280859242106880?s=19

https://twitter.com/MalcolmtheRay/status/984285932995207169?s=19

Feels like they're quoting right from a Michaud press release. Tamara's account had one extremely close to Malcom's in wording but it was deleted.

Sad to hear assholes are apparently hounding them as well. They don't deserve it as they're locked into contracts.
Didn’t know CA was owned by Sinclair.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

As someone who never really paid attention to Channel Awesome in the past, I've certainly learned some interesting things in the past week or so. Like them filming a movie in the desert and not giving their actors water or even paying them, and having a scene in a movie where Linkara rapes Lindey Ellis. What the gently caress?!

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
The CA response is even more hosed than you think. I would strongly recommend not paying attention to twitter for the next few days or weeks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

See, the thing about humans is, they theoretically can change and better themselves. It's not easy or as common as it should be, but the possibility is always there.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Internet Personality + Review Thread 3.0+1.0: And another thing...

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Michaud once heard that when caught in a scandal you should never admit wrongdoing, because that's a thing that big corporations and CEOs do right?

Like, it's an awful enough thing to do on its own, but I've never imagined that someone could be so bad at it. :psyduck:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Disregard

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

There might be a CA story being unveiled soon and I hope we can keep reactions civil until we know how the dice dropped. Cause if what I was told is true hooo boy.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Bakeneko posted:

I’ve just read that disgusting joke of a response from Mike and… wow. I feel the need to repeat my comment from a while ago about Mike being a shittier and shittier person every time I hear about him.

It’s hilarious that, even when he’s trying to provide evidence to back up his claims, he still can’t get it right because it doesn’t say what he thinks it says:

Except, if you look at the chat log in question, in no way does it “clearly demonstrate” that this was the first time they were hearing about the allegations. All it proves is that they were discussing the situation in January 2013 before they finally resolved a month later to kick the guy out. Frankly, from the way it’s worded it sounds more like a last straw situation and that they had dealt with similar complaints before.

Also, intentionally or not, they've given the Internet Journalist brigade a nice convenient time slice to figure out who all the unnamed parties are in this case.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Larry Bundy Jr writing the ED page about CA at the same time he was trying to join, years ago.

Wouldn't surprise me if he is sticking around just for drama

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
And somehow I don't think we've hit the nadir yet.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I'm surprised to see this but pleasantly surprised. :kiddo:
An essay about John Wayne and his movie "The Cowboys"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia95Yl0fu-Y
Oh and if anyone is interested in John Wayne/Mccarthyism/anything Hollywood history I recommend the "You Must Remember This" Podcast. It's amazingly well made and probably my favorite podcast out there. I would start with the Charles Manson season but it's all really, really great.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/gookygox/status/984338265762418688

Jesus loving Christ. Can we retitled the thread to "You Will (Not) Apologize"?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zedd posted:

There might be a CA story being unveiled soon and I hope we can keep reactions civil until we know how the dice dropped. Cause if what I was told is true hooo boy.

so what you're saying is there's worse stuff about ca we haven't heard yet? :stonklol:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

so what you're saying is there's worse stuff about ca we haven't heard yet? :stonklol:
Please do not go looking for the fire yet, but there is a lot of smoke building up yes.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

While I definitely understand the urge to be happy about having potential drama, I feel like we should avoid this kind of "ooooh, there's mysterious MORE DRAMA!!!" just because it encourages speculation.

I'm happy to just sit and wait for the schadenfreude.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Larry Bundy Jr writing the ED page about CA at the same time he was trying to join, years ago.

Wouldn't surprise me if he is sticking around just for drama

Oooooh! If this is correct, then the man is an evil genius and he is going to release one hell of a video series when everything is all said and done.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Puppy Time posted:

While I definitely understand the urge to be happy about having potential drama, I feel like we should avoid this kind of "ooooh, there's mysterious MORE DRAMA!!!" just because it encourages speculation.

Yeah fair enough, Kinda stoking the fire I'm tying to keep unlit due to it being up in the air here.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Puppy Time posted:

yeah, it's kind of weird when people go "oh boy! more terrible poo poo!!"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's a gossip thread, anything else is window dressing

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Alacron posted:

Michaud once heard that when caught in a scandal you should never admit wrongdoing, because that's a thing that big corporations and CEOs do right?

Like, it's an awful enough thing to do on its own, but I've never imagined that someone could be so bad at it. :psyduck:

The amazing thing here is that the wrongdoing is largely just "we were crappy and rude and bad at our jobs." Like, admitting that you maybe weren't the best at running a website with 40+ contributors scattered over the globe isn't exactly criminal admission. There's a few in there that are much more delicate, but they could just straight up mea culpa everything else because promising a newsletter and then cancelling it after two months isn't a crime.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah that really is the amazing part in all this.

If CA had outright admitted they are/were bad at running things it might have blown over. I mean they have the perfect excuse of not being experienced early on.

Instead they seem to want to double down on the awful behavior.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

It's funny, I remembered Pan-Pizza talked on his podcast once after Allison was fired that he was actually going to join Channel Awesome after he got picked up in their talent search thing. He didn't get to join though because he missed a Skype call.

Sounds eerily familiar.

When I first heard about Pan's experience with that Skype call thing I got the impression that Michaud didn't care for bringing new people on but as the last month has revealed no he's like that to producers on the site.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i dunno, doing things like having an extended rape joke in their movie goes beyond just 'we're bad at managing things' imo

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
MarzGurl has just confirmed that JewWario was the producer who was kicked off Channel Awesome for grooming an underage fan. After CA’s management covered it up for a year. Oh, hell.

https://twitter.com/marzgurl/status/984390105681969153?s=21

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this is getting into some really dark and bad places and i don't want anymore ca drama thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
oh, no