Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

It doesn't really take a stretch or "super PC climate" to see that it's a problem but I doubt he was thinking of that when he said it. Sounds like a regional folksy thing that he never thought about.

Yeah it’s more of a “dude, not cool anymore” thing rather than something people should be legit mad about. Like someone calling something “gay” as a pejorative. You should definitely correct them that it’s no longer a thing to say, but painting them as a super homophobe is probably overboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I really don't think his intent was racial in anyway. I mean it's something you shouldn't be saying these days but an old guy growing up in the midwest has probably heard that phrase used a million times and got excited during the game and used it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I feel like it's a bit of a stretch to flame someone for using a Foghorn Leghorn saying, but a dude commenting on NBA for a living should probably know better.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lockback posted:

I feel like it's a bit of a stretch to flame someone for using a Foghorn Leghorn saying, but a dude commenting on NBA for a living should probably know better.

Yeah I mean, you’re in a job where the large majority of players are African American, maybe you should banish anything that could possibly be perceived as racist from your lexicon ASAP.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

'I'm gonna assume "cotton-picking" is a regional dialect of "cherry-picking," which would be a valid comment for Russ' board hunting

but yeah, that dude needs a talking to

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

"I've got black friends. I employ black people. I don't employ them because they are black; I employ them because they are the best people who applied for the cotton-picking job."

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

'I'm gonna assume "cotton-picking" is a regional dialect of "cherry-picking," which would be a valid comment for Russ' board hunting

It is not

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

It's not, but I do think it's one of those things that definitely has a racist origin but then became ingrained to the point that people probably don't bother to think before using it as much as they should

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The okc commentators are bad and I hope they both get replaced for any reason needed

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
remove cotton-pickin from the announcer lingo? what a gyp

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i've heard cotton-pickin' a bunch in Tennessee and it's normally from very old folks or middle aged dudes trying to be folksy but jeeze that's not a word announcers ought to be using. i feel like it's in the same category as gyp where people don't really think about it until it's pointed out to them. but oof that's a bad clip

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 12, 2018

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

They have some new show called Shotmakers that I'm aware of....for some reason? Like a gameshow of golf trick shots.
If it's anything like trick shot billiards it's probably lot of fun to watch.

fast cars loose anus posted:

They used to! And furthermore it was skins for real money lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkjrxu6SCm4
I'm trying to think of a joke about how degenerate you have to put up thousands of dollars on a game of high-stakes Putt Putt but honestly just the idea of it on it's own is funny.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

they should hire these guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lmao what a game

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i've heard cotton-pickin' a bunch in Tennessee and it's normally from very old folks or middle aged dudes trying to be folksy but jeeze that's not a word announcers ought to be using. i feel like it's in the same category as gyp where people don't really think about it until it's pointed out to them. but oof that's a bad clip

this was me. i had no idea about the gyp thing, i thought it was just getting screwed out of something. boy was my face red when someone pointed it out to me lol

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://deadspin.com/thunder-call-out-announcer-for-saying-russell-westbrook-1825225445

apparently the thunder realized it was bad

quote:

“We think obviously the use of that term was offensive and inappropriate, and I expressed that to Brian last night,” Mahoney said Thursday. “Brian assures me that it was not meant in any derogatory way, and he apologizes. But again, we feel strongly that it’s inappropriate and offensive.”

sure am glad he's gonna have to apolo-

quote:

Mahoney said that they wouldn’t force him to apologize or address his comments on a future broadcast. “That’s really up to Brian,” he said. “Again, we’ve expressed to him strongly that it was offensive and inappropriate, and that’s all we can do for right now.”

oh

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Comcast is dropping BTN in every state that doesn't have a B1G school in it. This includes dropping New York and Washington DC.

I'm guessing this is just them grandstanding to set up a new deal before football season.

https://twitter.com/BFQuinn/status/984540460835274754?s=19

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

most of new york is either what used to be cablevision or what used to be time warner cable

but yeah, dc's hosed

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Vertical Lime posted:

most of new york is either what used to be cablevision or what used to be time warner cable

but yeah, dc's hosed

It’s not like NY wanted BTN. They only added Rutgers to the conference in order to get BTN carried in NY. No one seriously thinks they’re worthy of being there.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Speaking of Papi appreciation. Ken Tremendous wrote a piece about The Lebatard Show for Slate. As you might expect, it's good. Though there is one hell of a correction.

quote:

*Correction, April 13, 2018: This story originally misidentified the ocean that’s visible from the Clevelander Hotel. It’s the Atlantic, not the Pacific.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Island Nation posted:

It’s not like NY wanted BTN. They only added Rutgers to the conference in order to get BTN carried in NY. No one seriously thinks they’re worthy of being there.

Vicious propaganda from a clear Enemy of Rutgers Athletics

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

They left off Iowa and Nebraska, but I'm guessing those two states don't have Comcast at all.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 13, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

They left off Iowa and Nebraska, but I'm guessing those two states don't have Comcast at all.

Yeah I know Nebraska doesn't.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

They left off Iowa and Nebraska, but I'm guess those two states don't have Comcast at all.

Yeah, those states are dominated by Charter.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Timby posted:

Yeah, those states are dominated by Charter.

Iowa is almost entirely Mediacom and Cox I think but either way Comcast isn't available in the state

E: Cox could be part of charter I don't really keep up

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 13, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MourningView posted:

Iowa is mostly Mediacom I think but either way Comcast isn't available in the state

poo poo, I forgot about Mediacom. For whatever reason I thought they had been swallowed by Charter already.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Not that anyone likes their cable company but Mediacom was memorably awful and I'm really glad to be far away from anywhere stuck with them

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

MourningView posted:

Vicious propaganda from a clear Enemy of Rutgers Athletics

I don’t hate them in particular, I just don’t like college sports.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

lol gently caress you delaney you pile of human excrement

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Goddamnit now what am I gonna do without my Northwestern/Minnesota 9 a.m. epic clashes

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Benne posted:

Goddamnit now what am I gonna do without my Northwestern/Minnesota 9 a.m. epic clashes

me, unironically

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/986347436460388352

where espn+ would air some cards currently seen on fs1

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

it's really dumb but i laugh hysterically every time they play that clip of Mina Kimes yelling dramatically about Ohtani on PTI. I hope they never stop.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/986347436460388352

where espn+ would air some cards currently seen on fs1

This is a big deal because, UFC needs big money because the new owners are highly leveraged. There was talk that Fox could jump into bed with WWE and replace UFC with WWE (which, two years ago would be laughable but current UFC is such a loving mess right now).

But because ESPN wants content for ESPN+, Fox is going to then be able to pay less, but UFC is still going to get all up, near the amount of money that they want.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DC Murderverse posted:

it's really dumb but i laugh hysterically every time they play that clip of Mina Kimes yelling dramatically about Ohtani on PTI. I hope they never stop.

See, that's the thing about ESPN's afternoon shows. Yeah they have a few hot takes here and there, but it's not like First Take or Undisputed. They still know how to have fun, even if it's lost a bit of luster over the years.

Highly Questionable owns and you can't convince me otherwise.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm almost never home to watch midday ESPN but pretty much everyone in the extended LeBatard crew is really good and fun and they've increasingly started building it mostly around them. Even Around the Horn, which used to be the dirt worst, has its moment now because it works people like Pablo, Bo, and Mina into the rotation a lot. If they could just dump all the old newspaper hot take guys from when the show started it'd probably be genuinely good.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

MourningView posted:

I'm almost never home to watch midday ESPN but pretty much everyone in the extended LeBatard crew is really good and fun and they've increasingly started building it mostly around them. Even Around the Horn, which used to be the dirt worst, has its moment now because it works people like Pablo, Bo, and Mina into the rotation a lot. If they could just dump all the old newspaper hot take guys from when the show started it'd probably be genuinely good.

i like tony reali a lot even if hes like bill simmons and talks about the wire a lot

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/986968435128184832

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/987006273802547201

lmao

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
you"re blocked

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/308283757645938689

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Can they put it on ESPN News just to gently caress with the NFL?