Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

Remember when Doug had a tantrum about Tommy wiseau flagging his The Roomvideo so he made a response video where he Put on a bad wig and yelled in a bad polish accent for twenty minutes? I'm betting their video response will be like that except with Doug playing everyone else.

I forgot which video producer it was but someone else got their video on The Room taken down and was ready to get pissed about it but it was apparently quickly resolved and he got his video back. These things are rarely personal and treating it as such is pretty immature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean let's not pretend any of us are better than those who slow down when passing a traffic accident

I don't think you get what we are trying to say. Like look at the last thread and this one. Hell yeah did people (me included) revel in how amazingly much these goopers have hosed up after the fact but treating anything beyond that as a freakshow is really weird.
And I really dont think that I would slow down to gawk at a literal traffic accident.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Sarcopenia posted:

There is also a victim in the midst of this so excuse me if I'm not dragging out a big tub of popcorn to revel in that mess.

3 victims. At least. Plus all the random content creators who are gonna be harassed forever by gamergate shitlords about this. Plus his family. I mean gently caress CA management and gently caress him but this isn’t something worth celebrating. Take solace in the fact that he can’t hurt anyone else and that the people who knew and did nothing are watching their empire crumble around them and move on.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Sarcopenia posted:

And I really dont think that I would slow down to gawk at a literal traffic accident.

No one does.

And yet we all do. Psychology yo.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
:yikes: :piss:

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarcopenia posted:

I don't think you get what we are trying to say. Like look at the last thread and this one. Hell yeah did people (me included) revel in how amazingly much these goopers have hosed up after the fact but treating anything beyond that as a freakshow is really weird.

I personally would like to understand how what came off as a close-knit nerd community was harboring and covering up a potential rapist

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

business hammocks posted:

It was never really fun. There were economic consequences for blameless people at every step of these events, and relationships strained or broken, and fresh waves of harassment, and fresh disclosures of real abuse. CA management is dumb and their responses have been unbelievable, but there has been a human cost to what has happened. Let's not ignore how it was already hard for everyone caught up in CA's bad choices.

You're probably right. I never followed this channel awesome stuff until like 2 days ago so I guess I didn't know a lot about this other than "Doug Walker and Linkara make annoying unfunny videos". That and Spoony went crazy.

People tell me Lindsay Ellis is decent but I was never interested in her stuff because she was part of Channel Awesome and went by "the Nostalgia Chick". I thought "she hung out with Doug Walker? Ewww. Probably some weirdo nerd." Guilt by association is pretty unfair, I know. Ex-channel awesome people probably get that a lot. And they're going to a lot more now.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Is there somewhere to view the chat logs where they discussed the grooming and how they were going to release him?

Please don't drag anymore of this into here. You should be able to google the CA response from yesterday if you honestly want to have a go again, but don't start even more speculation.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I personally would like to understand how what came off as a close-knit nerd community was harboring and covering up a potential rapist

See: Catholic Church, Penn State, Michigan State, Hollywood

Large groups tend to favor the stability of the group above all else.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StealthArcher posted:

Please don't drag anymore of this into here. You should be able to google the CA response from yesterday if you honestly want to have a go again, but don't start even more speculation.

Ok sorry I don't want to drag it out I guess, but there are a lot of people talking around what happened but I really can't seem to google anything on this other than some dude with a boba fett avatar replying to deleted tweets.

Edit: ignore me i found the response you mentioned.

A Gnarlacious Bro fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 12, 2018

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

This is my perspective on this, because it's all too human to ignore certain oddities from someone you're close with because, hey, you're close to them and surely it isn't what that gut feeling you're having thinks it is.

poo poo, this isn't hypothetical for me; part of my social circle fractured when we learned that one of us did some things JewWario is said to have done. How some people reacted to the news broke some friendships.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mel Mudkiper posted:

See: Catholic Church, Penn State, Michigan State, Hollywood

Large groups tend to favor the stability of the group above all else.

Sure I know how it goes, I'm mainly interested in this because my little brother was a JewWario fan and spoke with hime more than a few times.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No one does.

And yet we all do. Psychology yo.
Probably.
I can't drive but me and my family have driven up a really lovely road through the mountains in Tanzania to get to my mothers hometown. The roads used to be so lovely that big trucks would always tilt over. You would have to stop and wait for the road to clear and never once would I want to look out the window. I might be a little scarred from my dad telling me about gasoline trucks that tilted and people ran up to it to collect the gasoline only to get horribly burned. It happened twice at the same turn and there were still marks on the road until they fixed it like 5 years ago. So nah personally I'm good.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i don't want to talk about the ca shitshow anymore, it's making me feel bad.

Lightning Knight posted:

I also generally think that a lot of these types of exercises are overly colored by nostalgia and overemphasize older games with good gameplay and little meaningful narrative over newer games that have good gameplay and narrative.

again, i think this comes down to 'timelessness', for lack of a better term. to put it succinctly, i feel that by the end of the nes' life, good developers had really nailed down how to make a really fuckin well-playing 2d game and that by the snes and genesis era, they were able to take the gameplay loop that they had perfected and then build onto it. conversely, adding in that third dimension has made games age much faster and more poorly. it just seems like getting a 3d game right is a hell of a lot harder and the continued improvements really obsoletes a lot of those games that did feel like they had gotten it right at the time they came out. it's harder to consider a newer game as one of the best ever made when it feels like a better one of those is coming out every couple of years than it is to consider super mario world one of the best games ever made because nintendo never topped that game and arguably neither has anyone else (as far as 2d platformers go anyway).

again, you could also take this argument that i've just laid out as its own argument as to why 'best games' lists are dumb to begin with.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I dunno if it's appropriate for this thread but reviews for God of War are coming out (SkillUp's) and it's drawing universal praise and 10/10s, which is not what I expected tbh.

^ I think that "best [thing]" lists are dumb when you use them as a vehicle to post your favorite [thing], but that they can have value as retrospective historical pieces. Unfortunately, most writers are hacks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pirate Jenny posted:

Can someone do a statistical analysis of the accusations they "refute" and how many are from women (and Hope Within Chaos, a man alleging sexual harassment) vs. how many people are just in that Google doc? I would but it kind of makes me ill to look at chat logs I made in 2012 being used to refute a point that... wait it didn't actually refute anything did it.

I'm just saying holy poo poo did they disproportionately focus on women.

Wow goddamn you're right, this trainwreck just gets worse and worse

Lightning Knight posted:

I dunno if it's appropriate for this thread but reviews for God of War are coming out (SkillUp's) and it's drawing universal praise and 10/10s, which is not what I expected tbh.

^ I think that "best [thing]" lists are dumb when you use them as a vehicle to post your favorite [thing], but that they can have value as retrospective historical pieces. Unfortunately, most writers are hacks.

The new God of War strikes me as Video Game Oscarbait that's trying to do the whole "video games are art guys like look at this it's just like a Hollywood movie" thing. The combat looks pretty drat awkward and it strikes me as being really derivative of current industry trends. I don't know if it's something that video game critics would really give a fair assessment of, because its something the average game critic will want to like from the outset for "proving that games have matured". I'm open to being proven wrong but that's just how it comes across to me.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 12, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

I don't think that people understand that even if you are close to a person you don't always know if someone is an abuser.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i don't want to talk about the ca shitshow anymore, it's making me feel bad..

I prefer to look at this whole thing sociologically rather than personally. It's a fascinating breakdown of a unique social organization

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
This post was gonna be another lovely thread title suggestion post, but I just cant.

gently caress.

gently caress this.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jesus

loving

Christ

The JW stuff is a heartbreaking development.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Abusers are in fact extremely good at hiding and rationalizing away their behavior. It’s normal for cases like these and partially how they implicitly or explicitly intimidate their victims into silence—it’s where part of the force of “no one will believe you” comes from.

Twice I’ve found out that a colleague was a rapist and both times I would never have thought of either if someone had told me I had a rapist as a coworker.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I prefer to look at this whole thing sociologically rather than personally. It's a fascinating breakdown of a unique social organization

Yeah, but that by definition means you're ignoring a whole bunch of damage and pain folks are dealing with as a result of the breakdown itself.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Urgh.
Well I tried posting some content before so have one more from the same content creator Coldcrashpictures
About one of my favorite directors Paul Verhoeven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaPlyLYFZkg

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sarcopenia posted:

I don't think that people understand that even if you are close to a person you don't always know if someone is an abuser.

Honestly, even if you do know about it, it can be incredibly difficult to speak up about it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, but that by definition means you're ignoring a whole bunch of damage and pain folks are dealing with as a result of the breakdown itself.

Absolutely. Everything has a human cost and at some point you have to allow yourself some level of detachment or else you will spend the whole of your life weeping.

I sympathize with those personally affected but they aren't in this thread and I am not talking to them. This is a group of observers and yeah, I feel a certain level of detachment from it all because of that. Unless one of you is secretly MarzGurl or someone else we are all outsiders watching this happen.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

business hammocks posted:

Abusers are in fact extremely good at hiding and rationalizing away their behavior. It’s normal for cases like these and partially how they implicitly or explicitly intimidate their victims into silence—it’s where part of the force of “no one will believe you” comes from.

Twice I’ve found out that a colleague was a rapist and both times I would never have thought of either if someone had told me I had a rapist as a coworker.

Yeah that's kind of what they do. People think abusers and rapists are shady dudes with moustaches who own vans, guys wearing black hoodies at night or dudes in wife beaters who open the door with a beer in one hand. The stereotypes get caught quickly while the rest of them are really good at hiding their darkside and specifically puts effort into pleasing people and making everyone like them enough for them to be trusted.

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 12, 2018

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Absolutely. Everything has a human cost and at some point you have to allow yourself some level of detachment or else you will spend the whole of your life weeping.

I sympathize with those personally affected but they aren't in this thread and I am not talking to them. This is a group of observers and yeah, I feel a certain level of detachment from it all because of that. Unless one of you is secretly MarzGurl or someone else we are all outsiders watching this happen.

Um, I don't think you've been paying attention. There are indeed quite a few people who are directly involved with this stuff in the thread.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure TheyCallMeTXT/TGWTGFansTXT/Bane (even money they're the same dude) is gonna jerk himself raw over this. Something about SJWs supporting a pedo perhaps hmmmm???

Also love how the thread wants to get quiet now hmmmmmmmmm??? Not so funny hmmmmm??

(EDIT:The last paragraph is insincere)

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 12, 2018

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I’m reminded of H.Bomberguy’s video that started with him taking about some beloved British personality that was later revealed to be a pedophile

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

I’m reminded of H.Bomberguy’s video that started with him taking about some beloved British personality that was later revealed to be a pedophile

Is there something I missed about Sherlock Holmes?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As someone who is a victim of abuse I really, really disagree with you. Is everyone supposed to just robotically look at people with no empathy from a far? That's super pessimistic and makes me kind of weary of you. I sure hope that if I share the tough things I've been through that even if they were a stranger they wouldn't be that cold and callous.
And lol Allison and Lindsay are literally here dude or are you just talking about the victims of the sexual abuse?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

Jimmy Saville

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

somekindofguy posted:

Also love how the thread wants to get quiet now hmmmmmmmmm??? Not so funny hmmmmm??

Suck a gently caress sperg shitter.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 12, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

Suck a gently caress sperg.
That poster can gently caress of but could you not use that word?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Jimmy Saville

Yeah, dude managed to hide it up to his death

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Suck a gently caress sperg.

C’mon now.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

My bad, first part still stands though.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

But yeah like Jim, it’s sucks to learn people you liked or looked up to turned out to be monsters

I liked Jewario’s Karen Rider videos

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
gently caress everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

As someone who is a victim of abuse I really, really disagree with you. Is everyone supposed to just robotically look at people with no empathy from a far? That's super pessimistic and makes me kind of weary of you. I sure hope that if I share the tough things I've been through that even if they were a stranger they wouldn't be that cold and callous.

There's a difference between someone talking to you and hearing about what happened.

Yes, hearing your story from you would provoke a stronger emotional response than if I read it in a newspaper. If we all reacted in equal empathy to all tragic experiences we confront every day we would rendered unable to function. The proximity and intimacy of that knowledge determines that.