Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Symetrique posted:

It's not the scale you asked for, but Eduard recently released this limited edition kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1122478-eduard-2121-riders-in-the-sky-1944

One of the marking options is a B-25 from 224 squadron.

Yeah I saw that in my search, might go with it if the 1:32 scale is only set to release in the latter half of this year. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Apollodorus posted:

Hello!

I recently watched Master and Commander again, and then listened to the unabridged audiobook (which is cool but different), and concluded that my childhood obsession with sailing ships appears to have returned. I was going to spend $200+ to get a vintage LEGO pirate ship on eBay, but then realized that maybe I should actually build a more accurate scale model that I can paint myself.

Having wasted hundreds or thousands of dollars on painted hundreds or thousands of Warhammer miniatures in my time I'm pretty comfortable with attaching pieces of stuff together and painting them, but I feel like my Games Workshop/P3/other acrylic minis paint may not be the best option for painting a sailing ship, especially because it requires priming with primer that can obscure the fine details.

So, assuming that I do want to keep using acrylic paints, what can you recommend for primers that don't risk destroying details, and what paint would you recommend I use on something like this:

https://www.hobbylinc.com/revell-germany-uss-constitution-plastic-model-sailing-ship-kit-1:146-scale-05472

Or should I just suck it up (blow it out) and finally get an airbrush? There's so much fine detail on sailing ships I can't imagine I'd get TOO much use out of it, but...eh. Maybe it's worth it if I want to do more than one of these.

If you are going to do this, man up and go all in, make this one - http://www.amazon.com/Model-Shipways-Constitution-Long-MS2040/dp/B01GIFZQ1I or this one http://www.bluejacketinc.com/kits/ussconstitution.htm or even this one! https://www.model-space.com/us/build-uss-constitution-us.html

:v:

Don't do this, 90%+ complicated wooden ships never get finished if they are your first wooden ship. Start simple if wooden ships interest you at all.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Apollodorus posted:

Hello!

I recently watched Master and Commander again, and then listened to the unabridged audiobook (which is cool but different), and concluded that my childhood obsession with sailing ships appears to have returned. I was going to spend $200+ to get a vintage LEGO pirate ship on eBay, but then realized that maybe I should actually build a more accurate scale model that I can paint myself.

Having wasted hundreds or thousands of dollars on painted hundreds or thousands of Warhammer miniatures in my time I'm pretty comfortable with attaching pieces of stuff together and painting them, but I feel like my Games Workshop/P3/other acrylic minis paint may not be the best option for painting a sailing ship, especially because it requires priming with primer that can obscure the fine details.

So, assuming that I do want to keep using acrylic paints, what can you recommend for primers that don't risk destroying details, and what paint would you recommend I use on something like this:

https://www.hobbylinc.com/revell-germany-uss-constitution-plastic-model-sailing-ship-kit-1:146-scale-05472

Or should I just suck it up (blow it out) and finally get an airbrush? There's so much fine detail on sailing ships I can't imagine I'd get TOO much use out of it, but...eh. Maybe it's worth it if I want to do more than one of these.

You're current acrylics would be just fine to paint the parts of a sailing ship. You'd be painting wood, and wood is probably the most forgiving surface to put paint on. Primer isn't really required either. It won't hurt to use it, but it's not really needed like it is for plastics and resins.

Edit: Oh wait, I just saw your link was for a plastic sailing ship. In that case just use some Tamiya Fine Surface Primer in the rattle can.

Although, I'll say I did do a plastic ship when I was a kid, and even back then I wasn't particularly impressed with the quality of the kit or the finished product.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 28, 2018

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

The Locator posted:

If you are going to do this, man up and go all in, make this one - http://www.amazon.com/Model-Shipways-Constitution-Long-MS2040/dp/B01GIFZQ1I or this one http://www.bluejacketinc.com/kits/ussconstitution.htm or even this one! https://www.model-space.com/us/build-uss-constitution-us.html

:v:

Don't do this, 90%+ complicated wooden ships never get finished if they are your first wooden ship. Start simple if wooden ships interest you at all.

I already have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Lindberg-130-scale-Jolly-Roger/dp/B000N3NT5C that my grandfather (RIP) got me when I was like 8 that I partly assembled but never finished. I kind of want to finish it, except the parts of it that are painted are done in gross Testor's enamels that I never want to use again if I can help it, and also I am a WAY better painter now 20+ years and 1000+ miniatures later.

But seriously a wooden model would be cool, however, I would rather do something smaller and cheaper now while I am still a grad student and then save the 3' long wooden model for, I dunno, retirement?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You're current acrylics would be just fine to paint the parts of a sailing ship. You'd be painting wood, and wood is probably the most forgiving surface to put paint on. Primer isn't really required either. It won't hurt to use it, but it's not really needed like it is for plastics and resins.

Well I would rather go with a plastic model at present, for cost reasons if nothing else.

EDIT: okay I will look at Tamiya--I know their paints are much better than the overpriced GW crap, for sure.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 28, 2018

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just saw that, so I updated my original post at the bottom.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Apollodorus posted:

Well I would rather go with a plastic model at present, for cost reasons if nothing else.

EDIT: okay I will look at Tamiya--I know their paints are much better than the overpriced GW crap, for sure.

You can absolutely do a decent job with miniature paints:

The base on that plane is rotting flesh. (Either Citadel or Vallejo Game Color I don't remember) the only thing that is for sure Vallejo Air is the red.

All brushed on, Vallejo primer I think.

You don't need an airbrush. You can get thicker brushes if you need more coverage.

You already know how to THIN YR PAAAAAAAINTSSSSS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_VuPIS2c

edit: I'm wrong, that is Airbrushed. :blush:

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

On a tall ship I prefer brushpainting vs airbrushing . They only had brushes themselves back then so you actually DON'T want to look your paintwork as uniform as an airbrush would do. Brushpainting also makes it easier to simulate wood by just layering a variety of colors on top of each other.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I'm just a 40kid and probably don't belong here but is there any resource for painting Invasion Stripes (those black and white bandy things on Allied wings and fuselages around D-Day)?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

An allegedly fully functional MiG-21

Something never before seen in nature!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Apollodorus posted:

Amazon actually has the Model Shipways wooden longboat for only $50. I think I remember someone saying it was a decent starter kit?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Colonial Air Force posted:

Amazon actually has the Model Shipways wooden longboat for only $50. I think I remember someone saying it was a decent starter kit?

It's $49.99 direct from Model Shipways, and they throw in this with your first wooden ship model:

New to wood ship modeling? Place an order for your first ship model kit and receive a complimentary copy of our 88 page book, How To Build First-Rate Ship Models From Kits, regularly $19.99. Remember to ask for it in your order comments section.

Also, Model Shipways regularly has 30%-50% off sales, you just have to watch their website -- http://modelexpo-online.com/

Get on their mailing list and they'll send you their flyers with the specials on them (or they used to, I haven't gotten one in a long time).

I'm not sure if the Longboat would be a good first kit compared to the Pinnace kit, which is currently on sale for $39.99. The Pinnace is larger, so depending on whether you like tiny vs bigger, and the Pinnace has no masts/rigging so it's probably simpler. I have both kits but have assembled neither one, and I was honestly surprised by how very small the longboat is. Of course if you normally make 1/700 or 1/350 scale stuff that shouldn't be a problem!

Both kits are designed by the same guy so should have similarly good instructions.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Schadenboner posted:

So I'm just a 40kid and probably don't belong here but is there any resource for painting Invasion Stripes (those black and white bandy things on Allied wings and fuselages around D-Day)?
Draw it on in pencil and paint between the lines. Alternatively you can mask off everything but the area you want, spray it white, then mask off the white stripes, and spray black over.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

They also do really neat metal and wood (mostly metal) artillery kits. I've built two, the Napoleon gun-howitzer and the Whitworth gun and enjoyed building both. Those are also worth checking out if you want to try something a little different.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fearless posted:

They also do really neat metal and wood (mostly metal) artillery kits. I've built two, the Napoleon gun-howitzer and the Whitworth gun and enjoyed building both. Those are also worth checking out if you want to try something a little different.

They make really crazy and big airplane skeleton kits too, using wood and metal.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Locator posted:

They make really crazy and big airplane skeleton kits too, using wood and metal.

I haven't checked those out, but I am putting some serious thought into making another stab at wooden ship building. I tried building a model of the Bluenose about 10 years ago and failed miserably. I might start with the Shipways cutter before making that leap to something larger. Proud Nova Scotian that I am, I'd like to give Bluenose another go and do it right.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fearless posted:

I haven't checked those out, but I am putting some serious thought into making another stab at wooden ship building. I tried building a model of the Bluenose about 10 years ago and failed miserably. I might start with the Shipways cutter before making that leap to something larger. Proud Nova Scotian that I am, I'd like to give Bluenose another go and do it right.

There are several different companies that make a Bluenose kit, so before you buy one hop on modelshipworld.com and search for that name and go through some of the build logs and see which kit looks like the best quality and will be what you want. I know it's a popular subject so should be plenty of logs to review!

The thing to realize about Model Shipways is that they in general have decent kits, are made in the US, and have great customer support, but they do user cheaper woods, primarily basswood and walnut. The european companies tend to use nicer hardwoods, but have basically no instructions, and depending on the kit and the company can be very good or very difficult to build a good model from.

MS is cool because if you just massively screw up and break a bulkhead or fail at planking 3 times in a row, all you have to do is contact them, tell them what parts you need, and they'll send you new ones free, for your 4th and 5th planking attempts!

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

The european companies tend to use nicer hardwoods, but have basically no instructions,

This has generally been true, but they are now also reorienting. For their new kits Artesania Latina have enhanced their instructions to a level I've not seen before with any other manufacturer. The manuals (plural) for their new Belem kit weigh in at 300 pages and over 1500 pictures.

https://www.artesanialatina.net/en/home/59146-wooden-model-ship-modeling-kit-belem-1896.html

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Locator posted:

It's $49.99 direct from Model Shipways, and they throw in this with your first wooden ship model:

New to wood ship modeling? Place an order for your first ship model kit and receive a complimentary copy of our 88 page book, How To Build First-Rate Ship Models From Kits, regularly $19.99. Remember to ask for it in your order comments section.

Also, Model Shipways regularly has 30%-50% off sales, you just have to watch their website -- http://modelexpo-online.com/

Get on their mailing list and they'll send you their flyers with the specials on them (or they used to, I haven't gotten one in a long time).

I'm not sure if the Longboat would be a good first kit compared to the Pinnace kit, which is currently on sale for $39.99. The Pinnace is larger, so depending on whether you like tiny vs bigger, and the Pinnace has no masts/rigging so it's probably simpler. I have both kits but have assembled neither one, and I was honestly surprised by how very small the longboat is. Of course if you normally make 1/700 or 1/350 scale stuff that shouldn't be a problem!

Both kits are designed by the same guy so should have similarly good instructions.

I like the rigging, it's what I'm most interested in, but starting simple isn't a bad idea. And it's always good to have options!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Greyhawk posted:

This has generally been true, but they are now also reorienting. For their new kits Artesania Latina have enhanced their instructions to a level I've not seen before with any other manufacturer. The manuals (plural) for their new Belem kit weigh in at 300 pages and over 1500 pictures.

https://www.artesanialatina.net/en/home/59146-wooden-model-ship-modeling-kit-belem-1896.html

Awesome, glad to see they are making this kind of change!

I like the rigging, it's what I'm most interested in, but starting simple isn't a bad idea. And it's always good to have options!

When it comes to rigging, something to keep in mind is that this is the area that most kit manufacturers cheap out on us. When a model really should have 7 sizes of rigging rope and blocks, they put in 2. The quality/appearance of the rigging line and blocks in most kits is garbage too.

I built my first model with the kit rigging blocks, but even that first kit I replaced all the rigging rope, because it wouldn't even fit through the holes in the rigging blocks! This is one area that I am not sure will ever improve, because quality line and rigging blocks are expensive when mass producing kits, but aren't a huge investment IMO when I'm spending a year building the drat thing.

I buy all my rigging rope and blocks from here - http://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/about-us.php

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah that looks really cool but I think the idea of starting with a smaller project is a good one.

Little boats look cool too!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've never heard of this person before. But look at the dioramas she built, and the purpose she used them for!

https://jezebel.com/the-mother-of-miniature-murder-found-her-calling-in-her-1824119792

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
All this ship-talk is getting my juices flowing, so I got myself a cutie in 1:72:

It's the daughter-boat of a larger rescue vessel. What's a daughter-boat, you ask? Well if mommy-boat and daddy-boat love each other very much, they go to a dry-dock and nine months later, this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqkK1UBdnzg&t=10s

Oh god, writing this post I got distracted watching rescue ships on youtube for way too long.
Well anyway, have an action-shot of the class of boat the model is of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOKxKnghPpc

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Just found out there was a scale model of the ranger from Interstellar made a few years ago but you can only find it for extortionate prices now :ohdear:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Just found out there was a scale model of the ranger from Interstellar made a few years ago but you can only find it for extortionate prices now :ohdear:

I saw the tested video about it and was interested until I saw that it's pretty much unattainable.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Scharnhorst issue 38

Closing up the second hull section. Nothing much to say about this really.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I built Dragon's Stug IV:

This is a great kit without much competition but I read that Dragon is discontinuing it for some reason.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Frenz posted:

I built Dragon's Stug IV

Very nice job on the camo!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Sweet StuG. I like the camo, great job on the muffler too. You should do something to break up the surface a little next, maybe something like oil dots or colour modulation.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm building a humvee similar to the one in this picture. What is the white thing on the bottom? Is that supposed to be a white plastic gas tank?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm building a humvee similar to the one in this picture. What is the white thing on the bottom? Is that supposed to be a white plastic gas tank?

Yeah--that's the fuel tank.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Completed some stowage chests for the ship. I could see some inexperienced builders getting tripped up on this step, as you get to it and the instructions are all "build these using all those offcuts you saved". It seems obvious in a build like this to keep your offcuts, but as far as I can tell nowhere does it tell you previously to hang on to your offcuts, so I'm sure some people were just tossing out their extra bits of wood up to this point.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Once you've been modelling long enough you just know to keep any spare bit of material that comes with a kit. You never know when you need ground clutter for a diorama, gubbins to detail up a wreck, or something to just melt down for gap filling.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Nice chests. Basically what happened was that your cross-section originally was an extension of another part work, where they spent the first two dozen issues reiterating that any cutoffs should be kept. By the time the cross section happened, subscribers were primed to never throw anything away ever. Of course when they released the cross sections as a stand alone subscription, they never updated the manuals.....

Scharnhorst issue 39

A big step ahead. We get to plank the entire third hull section. With about 110 strips layed down in the last two issues next weeks intermission is going to be quite welcome.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Quick little review.

I recently bought some balls of Sea Grass, and they're a great little addition to the modelers kit of basing supplies. They naturally occurring balls of dried sea grasses that collect on beaches. Once they're fully dried they make excellent dead grass and foliage matter to add to a base. You can also stain them to different shades, even to bring them back to "life" with a nice live green shade. Not sure if you can find them on north america beaches, as everyone selling them seems to be in europe. But I got a large amount from this italian seller on Etsy for about $10. Enough for basically a lifetime of modelling. Definitely worth checking out if you like doing bases for your models.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Those are cool. Thanks for the info.

Finally started working on the Gorch Fock again after a 7 months pause where I was fed up with uncooperative planking strips. Reached the 25% point. First planking is done and the second is now going up.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I took the plunge back into wooden ship modelling. I've got a Model Shipways long boat coming in a couple of days to bang away at. I'm looking forward to doing this one right-- I've done tons of plastic, resin and metal over the years but wood's something I have yet to master.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
It's done! And it really is the cutest little bote.

The kit is pretty nice, very little mold-lines and similar to clean up, just some minor sinkholes on two of the thicker parts. I had to do almost no fillings sanding.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've also been doing some light woodwork. To unkink my brain I started making a 1/72 Trumpeter M4A3 76W, [a later model sherman.] On 1/72 kits, one personal bugbear I have is when kitmakers mold the repair/pioneer tools straight on the hull, as it is very difficult to paint properly. This time, I just took a razor blade and cut the handles off. Then, I've been messing around with a razor saw and craft popsicle sticks. I need timber for stowage/improv armor anyway, so I've been crafting the wood handles, then staining them with a oil wash to darken them a bit.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I got a start on that longboat yesterday and have been able to start planking the hull. It's kind of daunting at first, particularly where past projects have lent themselves to rapid assembly. I've got two pairs of planks on so far and I swear I am learning something new with each plank as I go and each new one looks better and better. I've learned not to rush this, but the process of bending each plank so that it fits just so is therapeutic in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I really enjoy planking for some reason, and each plank really does become it's own model that has to be carefully shaped and bent until it fits just right.