Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Love the recruiters who ask outright insist on getting your contact details before they provide any information on jobs they may or may not have. No TEKsystems employee, you do not get to waste 30 minutes of my day if you can't even take 10 seconds to copy paste the job description into a box on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Company B, when telling me it was a no, said it was a "marginal decision" not to hire me, and they would welcome me to interview again with them in the future

If company A rejects me then I dunno what to do, these are already the only other 2 companies I would want to work for here (that I know of so far)

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Company A said yes, will get a call from them tomorrow to see what their offer is

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Valeyard posted:

Company A said yes, will get a call from them tomorrow to see what their offer is

:yotj:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Valeyard posted:

grats

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Valeyard posted:

:yotj:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Valeyard posted:

Woot

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

cool i applied to a place that sent me 2 emails to confirm they received my resume:
the first saying my password would be in another email and then the same email again except with "#SECURE#" in the subject and my password at the bottom of the message.

now i'm kind of wondering what happened to the password i put in when registering an account.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

asked for a signing bonus to offset losing my retention bonus, was told that was a deal breaker. got an email from thier automated system that i was not a good fit, welp

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Waiting on an offer from a fast food company lol.

Also had an interview scheduled for this week but the invite said last week come and go because derp recruiter.

And now I'm about to interview with a work out company.

Welp

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i forgot how to do a for loop in one of those codepen interviews lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HoboMan posted:

asked for a signing bonus to offset losing my retention bonus, was told that was a deal breaker. got an email from thier automated system that i was not a good fit, welp

"wait he actually wants to be paid? nevermind"

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HoboMan posted:

wow, gently caress that

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

so they want to move our office to florida and i am going to have a call with the new coo about moving to florida. no one else on the team is interested in moving there. i dont want to move but should i pretend i am willing to forestall my eventual layoff???

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 13, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
florida sucks rear end

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Had to beg for my first temp to hire role and now I get to choose between two to four offers. Feels good. Also, figgies.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

HoboMan posted:

Congrats on dodging that bullet.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

got a take home test after a successful phone interview, but it looks fairly substantial and has no expected amount of time given and somewhat ambiguous requirements. how long do you feel is reasonable to spend on a take home assignment for an interview?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
So apparently I'm much faster at algo stuff than objectmodel stuff.

I really hate doing object models under a clock ticking away because you end up coding yourself into a corner :|

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

HoboMan posted:

Rofl.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Shaggar posted:

florida sucks rear end

listen to this goon

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Some places suck slightly less within FL

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
The interview where I quickly did substring matching between two strings but didn't do sudoku quickly passed, but did so quickly :unsmith:

burritoplace is taking its time :smith:

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Shaggar posted:

florida sucks rear end

im not gonna move, i am wondering if i should lie about being willing to in order to string my employer along

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HoboMan posted:

im not gonna move, i am wondering if i should lie about being willing to in order to string my employer along

surely there are circumstances that you would, for at least a while.... so its not really a lie and their fault for not paying you enough/offering remote/etc right

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I would highly recommend lying frequently to your employer

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

qhat posted:

I would highly recommend lying frequently to your employer

If you matched your employer's lies to you on a lie-to-lie basis can you even tell them the time?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Space Whale posted:

If you matched your employer's lies to you on a lie-to-lie basis can you even tell them the time?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Bought the book Cracking the Coding Interview today because I've had many people recommend it. So far I've not seen any problems that I wouldn't know every solution for in about a minute. It scares me that this drivel is recommended material for people to base interviews on too.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qhat posted:

Bought the book Cracking the Coding Interview today because I've had many people recommend it. So far I've not seen any problems that I wouldn't know every solution for in about a minute. It scares me that this drivel is recommended material for people to base interviews on too.

was there a point with this post or were you just going for the usual ego massage you usually crave?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

carry on then posted:

was there a point with this post or were you just going for the usual ego massage you usually crave?

You've got a real hard-on for me eh. The point was I've seen this book recommended a lot, and I would never use it to interview someone. It's almost like an implied covenant, if you can answer a bunch of notoriously Microsoft/googly questions that are listed exhaustively in a book, then obviously you're good enough for a Microsoft/Google interview and by extension good enough for us.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

qhat posted:

You've got a real hard-on for me eh. The point was I've seen this book recommended a lot, and I would never use it to interview someone. It's almost like an implied covenant, if you can answer a bunch of notoriously Microsoft/googly questions that are listed exhaustively in a book, then obviously you're good enough for a Microsoft/Google interview and by extension good enough for us.

doesn’t sound like you have much real world interview experience

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

qhat posted:

oh yeah, no, you should never ask questions from ctci in an interview, they’re worthless

but programming interviews are total dogshit where nobody knows what they’re doing and so they’re the sort of questions interviewers ask a lot, so it’s useful to study them if you’re an interviewee

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

last place I interviewed asked to reverse a string and solve a graph problem in the span of thirty minutes, for a job that was 99% boring ETL poo poo

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

AWWNAW posted:

doesn’t sound like you have much real world interview experience

I've interviewed hundreds of people and I'd feel extremely uncomfortable with hiring someone based on how well they can solve a palindrome question, as opposed to like whether they can actually do the specific job we need them to do. When I have to ask myself "what information does this actually give me about the person?" and I struggle to think of an answer, it's not a good sign.

qhat fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 15, 2018

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

qhat posted:

I've interviewed hundreds of people and I'd feel extremely uncomfortable with hiring someone based on how well they can solve a palindrome question, as opposed to like whether they can actually do the specific job we need them to do. When I have to ask myself "what information does this actually give me about the person?" and I struggle to think of an answer, it's not a good sign.

well congrats then because you’re one of the few good interviewers.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

AWWNAW posted:

last place I interviewed asked to reverse a string and solve a graph problem in the span of thirty minutes, for a job that was 99% boring ETL poo poo

that actually sounds pretty relevant to etl problems?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

my job is 100% reversing linked lists all day

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that actually sounds pretty relevant to etl problems?

no it doesn’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Basic string manipulation is entirely relevant to ETL. The nebulous "graph problem" may or may not be relevant to ETL.