Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

18 Character Limit posted:

Texas makes a decent DR location for this same reason too.

We had similar logic when doing our DR plan.

It relies heavily on azure being available, but if a disaster is big enough to take out the West US region and our corporate headquarters, we’ll have other concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Pretty pricey, tapes don't like hot/cold, so you'd need a pretty robust box to store them in long term, with some pretty great AC and heat.

Not to mention the weekly tape rotation to the Titan offsite facility is going to be MAD expensive.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Truga posted:

How much would a DR site on the moon cost these days? :v:

It would be astronomical.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
A ticket came in:

"I don't think the <device> is communicating with the DC. We can't login."

I ask what the error is.

"Authentication failed"

:cripes:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jaded Burnout posted:

nice

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

:thurman:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaded Burnout posted:

:downsrim:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Jaded Burnout posted:

:drat:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

??

They were complaining about the gigabit link and got a 45 Mbps link instead? Or was it they were complaining about not having *enough* bandwidth on a shared gigabit link, and a dedicated T3 was enough?
They were blaming their lovely network configuration on us.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Rudager posted:

different system date formats?

Ask me, an Australian, who has to run some servers with American date formats or certain software loving spaz's out when it rolls over to the 13 day of the month!

YYYYMMDD is the one true date format.

Fight me.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

No.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I use YYYYMMDD in my comments if it's absolutely necessary that I get across exactly when I did a thing without any confusion. Otherwise I use MMDDYYYY.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I use yyyymmdd everywhere all the time, often broken up by /, even though the standard here is dd.mm.yyyy, because gently caress that noise that doesn't sort

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Update your process to this

Kurieg posted:

I use YYYYMMDD in my comments. it's absolutely necessary that I get across exactly when I did a thing without any confusion.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanatosian posted:

Yep

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
YYYYMMDD on the streets, Napoleonic in thensheets

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

tactlessbastard posted:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

tactlessbastard posted:

:swoon:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Thanatosian posted:

Fight me.
YYMMDD ought to be enough for anybody.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Thread winner

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kurieg posted:

I use YYYYMMDD in my comments if it's absolutely necessary that I get across exactly when I did a thing without any confusion. Otherwise I use MMDDYYYY.

CYYMMDD

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
1523575690 or get the gently caress out

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Dates prior to 1970 don't matter.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

tactlessbastard posted:

"Home in TODAY()+3, don't wash"?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A friend of mine once talked about an old job where he had been tasked with coming up with a file naming scheme that encoded the date of each file as part of its filename... in 8.3 format.

To conserve space in the filename, he used a single letter for the month, like a = January, b = February, etc.

I told him "That doesn't take into account years with more than 26 months in them."

The split nanosecond where he actually thought about it and a look of alarm flashed over his face—it made the subsequent shoulder-check into the bushes worth it

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

RadicalR posted:

Sounds like you need to talk to lowtax! Please do the needful!

Spoke to Lowtax and got some stuff installed on the backbone network.

Malek fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 13, 2018

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Malek posted:

Spoke to Lowtax and got some stuff installed on the backbone network.

:drat:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Data Graham posted:

A friend of mine once talked about an old job where he had been tasked with coming up with a file naming scheme that encoded the date of each file as part of its filename... in 8.3 format.

To conserve space in the filename, he used a single letter for the month, like a = January, b = February, etc.

I told him "That doesn't take into account years with more than 26 months in them."

The split nanosecond where he actually thought about it and a look of alarm flashed over his face—it made the subsequent shoulder-check into the bushes worth it
:master:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

Is this a one hand clapping kind of thing?

How can you say you have a DR environment if there's no hardware? Is it just an empty room where the execs go to cry when they realize the money they're losing far outstrips the cost of a DR?

We have some of the hardware, and can our core application from there, because the people who run that have the budget for that. Even if we had the hardware, its not a full DR situation as a lot of poo poo is hardcoded to specific addresses, so routes have to be manually changed. The problem is, we simply can't get the buy in from senior management to get the tools, the time or the expertise to fix it.
poo poo, we are growing so fast we can barely keep on things now. And the expansion never stops.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

We have some of the hardware, and can our core application from there, because the people who run that have the budget for that. Even if we had the hardware, its not a full DR situation as a lot of poo poo is hardcoded to specific addresses, so routes have to be manually changed. The problem is, we simply can't get the buy in from senior management to get the tools, the time or the expertise to fix it.
poo poo, we are growing so fast we can barely keep on things now. And the expansion never stops.

Well, there are certainly worse things than rapid growth. But that will come to screeching halt if you have catastrophe strike.

I’m not sure how easily it can be done, but the best ammunition you have is to present the revenue impact on the company due to an inadequate BC plan. If you can get someone in finance to supply the numbers, you could probably put together a convincing business case if you frame it in lost revenue per day.

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
User reported "the internet is slow", and sent a screenshot of their speedtest results as proof.

Well, it's certainly slow in one direction...

As it turns out the provider and IP don't match either of the lines we provide on site, both of which appear to be working fine, so who knows what mystery connection they were using!

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
I'm the 0ms latency. Thats a bold claim.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Okay so the last two times we did this upgrade during the overnight maintenance window, everything went tits up and we had to roll it back.

But certainty this time will be better, so let's do it at noon on a Friday

What can possibly go wrong??

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sormus posted:

I'm the 0ms latency. Thats a bold claim.
Pinging over quantum entanglement.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

Okay so the last two times we did this upgrade during the overnight maintenance window, everything went tits up and we had to roll it back.

But certainty this time will be better, so let's do it at noon on a Friday

What can possibly go wrong??

Sounds good. You guys are on call this weekend, right?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Heh. Had a request come in to clean up a couple security groups that had people who'd transferred positions, so once I finished, I emailed them and said "I've deleted the security groups as asked. Wait, no, I've deleted FROM the security groups as asked."

They're a good sport, so after their heart calms down, they should laugh.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thanatosian posted:

Sounds good. You guys are on call this weekend, right?

I'm not!

It's someone else's problem!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The best kind of problem.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
A couple of days ago the CIO was in the next row over, discussing an issue with the operations people where office applications are crashing randomly, probably due to last months lovely patches.

Felt so good to know that dealing with it was definitely Not My Problem, I did my time with desktop management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah Word had random crashes due to a lovely patch. Every loving month there are new Office problems. Yay!