Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Phillip: Hey Paige, if any of this is getting to me you can always talk to me or your mom

Liz: gently caress FEELINGS. FEELINGS ARE FOR THE WEAK. YOU RUINED EVERYTHING

Yeah Paige is gonna kill somebody by the finale. Probably herself :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Elizabeth's going to have blind loyalty toward The Cause until the bitter end.

e- This is not the NHL GDT.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 12, 2018

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Ok that may or may not have been a gigantic red flag from Stan's girlfriend

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phillip can't pay his bills. I guess he isn't working magic at the travel agency.

Why do I feel like Sofia is going to be the victim of domestic violence in the next episode?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Elizabeth's going to have blind loyalty toward The Cause until the bitter end.

I wouldn't want it any other way :ussr:

DarklyDreaming posted:

It's ok, Stan told her she's too old to join the FBI :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DarklyDreaming posted:

I see it differently. A KGB operative would know the age limit and would not have asked in the first place. It would have been more suspect if she'd asked about a civilian position at the Bureau. Also, even if she were the right age, they'd never see each other and it'd cripple their relationship.

Now, if he *counters* with that civilian job idea in the next episode or so, we might be able to infer she's socially engineering him, but Stan's smart enough to know that her working near/with him is a *horrible* idea. And the first chance he gets, he's going to say "you're not going to believe what Renee said the other night" to either Dennis *and/or* Phil.

And, she'd never pass the clearance process even for a civilian job at the FBI if she's a first-generation illegal operative. It's the whole reason they're even bothering with Paige. This settles the "is Renee a *Russian* operative" question in my mind. It still doesn't put to rest the idea that she might be someone *else's* operative, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 12, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It'll be amazing if she turns out to be legit, somehow worms her way into the FBI, and solves the Jennings' case instantly with all the same information Stan had.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oh, and even with Philip showing himself to be *extra* careful in watching for tails (since it was light when he got out of the car and dark when he got to the park), Oleg should know better about meeting with a Directorate S operative *right after* a former FBI counterintelligence agent pays him a courtesy call that lets him know he's being watched.

Also, having gone through the clearance process myself, I'm trying to wrap my head around who Paige's references would be. They sure as hell can't use Claudia, and Father Tim is ~away~ somewhere. Her entire support network is comprised of iffy people with with even 'iffier' (wow, 'iffier' is actually a word) credentials. Wouldn't *that* be a loving pip - if the mighty KGB is foiled by the SF-86 questionnaire...or Paige's first polygraph. The second they tell her for the first time that "we have reason to believe you're being evasive" she'll crack like cheap china.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 12, 2018

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I wonder if Elizabeth is going to have to kill someone every episode of this season. And this time there was no Paige loving up so she can redirect her feelings to blaming her.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, that guy *had* to die. There was no way he wasn't going to mention the 'security audit' to his 'works in the building's security' girlfriend, even though he signed the NDA.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, having gone through the clearance process myself, I'm trying to wrap my head around who Paige's references would be.

There's always Stan, and some of the people who work at the travel agency.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

howe_sam posted:

There's always Stan, and some of the people who work at the travel agency.

Red flag on the latter, simply because they work for her father and might feel tempted to say glowing things, but yeah, Stan would work. Probably a handful of teachers as well.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, that guy *had* to die. There was no way he wasn't going to mention the 'security audit' to his 'works in the building's security' girlfriend, even though he signed the NDA.

Yeah, they've all had to die. But she should have known that guy's girlfriend worked with him, just like she should have been able to work the general to know that he wasn't going to cooperate. She's under too much pressure and she's making mistakes which mean she has to kill people. I'm enjoying it, it's a good storyline.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah Paige is gonna kill somebody by the finale. Probably herself :smithicide:

The series continues to signal that Paige isn't cut out for her parents' line of work, through her actions, the comments of their colleague and Elizabeth's own comments ("anyone else would be DONE!"); and also that Elizabeth is oblivious to this (and making her own mistakes).

It would be entirely unsurprising if Paige gets killed, gets someone else killed, gets all of them arrested or some combination of the above.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Skipping the replies until I see the full episode, but I'm catching up now and I'd watch a series about Dupont Circle Travel starring Philip Jennings.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Watching Philip try to motivate his people like Michael Scott is a more painful watch than making that dead chick fit into the suitcase back in season whatever.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Annual Prophet posted:

It would be entirely unsurprising if Paige gets killed, gets someone else killed, gets all of them arrested or some combination of the above.

more heartbreaking: ends up working with her dad against Elizabeth, after multiple seasons spent showing this special relationship they have as she's learned about Russia

bvlah
Aug 21, 2003
A stupid typo
Can someone explain what that whole derail of tuition with the school official about? Is it just showing Phil's business is slowly declining?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ekeog posted:

more heartbreaking: ends up working with her dad against Elizabeth, after multiple seasons spent showing this special relationship they have as she's learned about Russia

I want this

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

bvlah posted:

Can someone explain what that whole derail of tuition with the school official about? Is it just showing Phil's business is slowly declining?

It could be that, tied in with the reference in the last episode to the agency losing a big contract. It could also be keeping Henry somewhat relevant in spite of the writers sending him to his home planet boarding school.

ekeog posted:

Elizabeth's :ussr: indoctrination of Paige seems to be self-serving, though Paige does seem to be at least partially genuinely curious. It backfiring would be a fun twist.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

It could be that, tied in with the reference in the last episode to the agency losing a big contract. It could also be keeping Henry somewhat relevant in spite of the writers sending him to his home planet boarding school.

Elizabeth's :ussr: indoctrination of Paige seems to be self-serving, though Paige does seem to be at least partially genuinely curious. It backfiring would be a fun twist.

it seems both self-serving (as shown by how Claudia has formalized it) and authentic simultaneously - plus it's reminding Elizabeth how much she hates capitalism and resents perestroika/reform while Phillip's completely opposite position has crystalized as well

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

bvlah posted:

I'm not sure. I wonder if we're supposed to read that as they're getting less financial support from Directorate S and they're expected to be more self reliant.
We've never seen the Jennings' have any kind of financial struggle. They live in a nice neighborhood in a well furnished house, Philip bought a Camaro essentially on an impulse, and Elizabeth and Philip have closets full of nice clothes.
This could be a setup for the idea that Philip is not cut out for civilian life and the 9-5 schedule.

That scene with the FBI intercepting Gennadi and Sofia was great. Loved the impotent rage and protests of their Soviet handlers.

ekeog posted:

Could be that Gennadi and Sofia's story is foreshadowing something like this. Stan dropped a truthbomb on Gennadi that there's no scenario in which he gets to see his son again because the three of them need to go into hiding and Sofia wants a divorce.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Phil needs to layoff some people and lease out the extra space or move the office to some suburban strip mall. If he makes it past 1992 he can start quoting "ALWAYS BE CLOSING" type motiviations to his staff.

He will also need to pre-emptively murder the Priceline/Hotwire/Expedia people.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I get that "diplomatic immunity" was a cause and reason for those two to get approached by the FBI in an official capacity in public, what does it really imply? Are they pretty much giving themselves to the US, and Russia can't touch them now?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The FBI came in and claimed they were seeking political asylum. Officially that protects them from the Soviets trying to extradited home to answer to espionage charges. Unofficially, well that's what Elizabeth is for :commissar:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
lol at trying to convince the Directorate S brass that you need more money for a private parochial school.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

lol at trying to convince the Directorate S brass that you need more money for a private parochial school.

"Keeping up appearances."

Paige is way more likely to get into the position where they want her in if she comes from a successful family.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The bigger challenge would be explaining it to the IRS.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Nah, a travel agency is a probably a pretty good front for laundering money if you're a state actor. Those incentive bonuses that Phillip was pushing could easily be set up by a Totally Not Soviet front group in the Bahamas or whatever. Like a $5k incentive on a $2k trip. You could sell them for $1k a piece and still pocket 2 grand per.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I see it differently. A KGB operative would know the age limit and would not have asked in the first place. It would have been more suspect if she'd asked about a civilian position at the Bureau. Also, even if she were the right age, they'd never see each other and it'd cripple their relationship.

Now, if he *counters* with that civilian job idea in the next episode or so, we might be able to infer she's socially engineering him, but Stan's smart enough to know that her working near/with him is a *horrible* idea. And the first chance he gets, he's going to say "you're not going to believe what Renee said the other night" to either Dennis *and/or* Phil.

And, she'd never pass the clearance process even for a civilian job at the FBI if she's a first-generation illegal operative. It's the whole reason they're even bothering with Paige. This settles the "is Renee a *Russian* operative" question in my mind. It still doesn't put to rest the idea that she might be someone *else's* operative, though.

The whole thing was a feint to push Stan to share job details out of a sense of pity. At this point Renee has to be an operative because as well as it being the subtext of her every scene, there's no way she's genuinely naive enough to throw an FBI career switch out there without having thought it implausible. There was some interesting speculation last year that her popping up right around the time Stan was trying to bail Oleg out of forcible recruitment implied that she might be CIA, but I don't really know that a years-long romantic relationship for very little return is supposed to be in their toolbox. Whereas if she is Directorate S then even the fact of them having been together all that time can be used as last-resort leverage, along with the fact that a straight majority of Stan's adult friendships and romances have been with active KGB agents.

I also think Philip's financial troubles do simply stem back to him expanding the travel agency to absorb his free time and finding out there's not the extra business to match it.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 13, 2018

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

What was the Russian dish they made?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Old James posted:

Okroshka, I think.Zharkoye. A good deal of them are listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Russian_dishes

They were talking about making Golubtsy and Solyanka.

Kvass was mentioned last season - that agricultural guy mentioned trying to make it for himself.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 13, 2018

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Keeping up appearances."

Paige is way more likely to get into the position where they want her in if she comes from a successful family.

They likely would pay for anything they needed. But Philip is obviously not asking for help from them anymore. He wants to make it on his own the American way.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hi hello this season continues to be amazing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, having gone through the clearance process myself, I'm trying to wrap my head around who Paige's references would be. They sure as hell can't use Claudia, and Father Tim is ~away~ somewhere. Her entire support network is comprised of iffy people with with even 'iffier' (wow, 'iffier' is actually a word) credentials. Wouldn't *that* be a loving pip - if the mighty KGB is foiled by the SF-86 questionnaire...or Paige's first polygraph. The second they tell her for the first time that "we have reason to believe you're being evasive" she'll crack like cheap china.

It shouldn't be too hard. She's a young adult from suburban America. She's not going to have very much shady stuff in her past that investigators would pick up. The investigators talking to her references would be asking about her, not them. Pastor Tim would be the absolute worst person to pick for a reference. As soon as the investigator starts asking if he has any reason to think Paige shouldn't receive a clearance, wheels might start turning in his head and he might start talking about her spy parents. Also, a polygraph is really easy to beat. It's not that hard to get a clearance unless you have a poo poo ton of foreign contacts, you have a lot of debt, you've committed a bunch of crimes, or you're still smoking weed. You can quit smoking weed long enough to pass a drug test, say you've smoked it a million times and still get a TS/SCI as long as you make it clear you aren't doing drugs right now.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Old James posted:

It's zharkoye

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh god how can there only be 7 more episodes

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Before this season is through, I may well have to write several paragraphs on how beautifully realized a character Elizabeth is. The writing's so drat good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
dat leonard cohen needle drop :vince:

i love Midlife Crisis Motivational Speaker Philip and Murdercrazy Chainsmoker Liz

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, did anyone else wonder why the General was packing such a dinky little pistol?
I guess if I wasn't a dickhead I would say that concealed carry firearms are small on purpose and if you google modern concealed carry you would find even smaller weapons are popular today. I don't know why I know this or why I don't just skip over this like the 'muricans that care about poo poo like this have but I guess i'm a big ol' oval office. A pistol license where I am from requires a lot of effort and I certainly don't have one or even think people should carry but I also like being the opposite of ignorant sooooo

no ?

I hope this has been both helpful and incredibly condescending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Phillip literally preaching capitalism was quite a nice scene. Cabbage based foods, not so much.

• Locked thread