Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I quite liked the second one as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Quiet Place is actually part of the Reign Of Fire multiverse.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If they have electricity, it should be trivially easy to set up some wifi and give everybody a cellphone for texting.

If they only went within the vicinity of the house and nothing further, but they're constantly really far out so there's nothing practical about a cell phone.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Quiet Place is actually part of the Reign Of Fire multiverse.

What are the others?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

bushisms.txt posted:

What are the others?

Blue Thunder, Last Tango in Paris and Snow Dogs.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
That SMG post was like 1/10 on the Zizek Scale, I demand a refund.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Forgot to mention earlier a great moment in my screening - in the context of how this movie makes audiences super-aware of the noises they make in the cinema space during the silent passages - just after the moment where it was revealed that mother and baby were fine, two people simultaneously and loudly cracked open obviously smuggled-in beer cans. Gave a great moment of relief laughter to the audience.

I'm curious if others had an interesting 'audience noise self-awareness' story.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 12, 2018

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Hi guys. I hear with a cochlear implant and saw this movie today. AmA

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Criminal Minded posted:

Thank you for your service against the xeno threat

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It's a good thing this was movie was so good otherwise I don't think I would be able to get past the concept of "aliens that are easily killed by shooting them in the face take over the world"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

bushisms.txt posted:

What are the others?

I can’t think of too many other fantasy movies that are as cavalier about the premise being like “this world is exactly like ours except death angels (or dragons) have inexplicably appeared and started systematically killing people”.

You do get a very similar approach to creature design - using sci-fi stylings to ‘legitimize’ goofy mythical creatures - in The Cave and Hallow, though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Even Xenomorphs can die by getting shot in the face

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

But they never took over the world

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They took over a world once.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

Do they need regular upkeep and fine tuning from qualified experts? Or is it like a pacemaker, where once it's set up it's good to go for many years?

Does the external device actually transmit sound waves that can be picked up on a microphone, or does it just transmit data that gets interpreted by the implant?

What did you make of the movie, vs similar movies that don't revolve around sound and noise as the central conceit?

Matinee fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 12, 2018

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Matinee posted:

Do they need regular upkeep and fine tuning from qualified experts? Or is it like a pacemaker, where once it's set up it's good to go for many years?

Does the external device actually transmit sound waves that can be picked up on a microphone, or does it just transmit data that gets interpreted by the implant?

What did you make of the movie, vs similar movies that don't revolve around sound and noise?

It depends. Lots of people will go in for regular fine-tuning of their audio map (sort of like a personalized equalizer, unique to that implant), but I haven't hosed with my settings in a long, long time. I just got a newer model about a year ago and I actually had to go in for several visits with my audiologist until I got it to sound satisfactory to me, because they kept discovering all these new features buried deep in the settings that even they were unfamiliar with, which clipped the audio and dynamically equalized it depending on the audio profile of a given setting, etc. I don't gently caress with any of that poo poo. The biggest upkeep is just keeping it clean and dry and functioning: a dehumidifier that I store it in overnight, replacing the filters which go over the microphones to keep out sweat and grime etc., charging the batteries every night, scraping accumulated gunk off it occasionally.

I'm fortunate in a few regards, mainly that I got my implant at a very young age and very shortly after I lost my hearing from bacterial meningitis, so it sounds practically crystal to me, with only some iffy handling of very high frequencies. You can find various articles online which will present you with differing audio clips to purportedly simulate the experience of hearing with a CI - my friend once sent me one and asked me if that's how I heard. I remember it featured two clips of the opening riff of "Sunshine of Your Love," and the "CI" clip was totally muffled and squashed to poo poo. I assure you, that's not how *I* hear, anyway.

The biggest difference for me is simply that I only have one implant (two implants = two surgeries), so it's like hearing in mono. I can struggle with direction: yell my name in a crowded bar, and I know somebody is calling for me, but I have no idea where they're calling from. Likewise, things can run together in particularly loud environments, which can make discussion difficult at e.g. a concert. But day-to-day I mostly just have to ask "What?" if I'm not paying attention, once in a while. I actually serve tables at an extremely loud and busy restaurant, go figure.

As far as whether or not that feedback trick would actually work...I really don't know. Not with mine, anyway, but there are dozens (hundreds?) of CI models at this point, and I can only vouch for my particular experience. The basic way a CI works is that it processes sound waves through microphones on the back of the unit, which it then transmits into the processor, which converts them into electrical impulses which travel through a cord onto a flat disc (held onto your head with a magnet - fun party trick, sticking my CI to a refrigerator) which stimulates nodes which have been surgically implanted on your cochlea. That's about as technical as I can get. The other thing is, this is a movie where a dude is basically hacking and modding CIs, so I assume that sort of thing is possible given the particular circumstances of the film.

Setting aside the aforementioned controversy over CIs in the deaf community, which is very real (and in my opinion frankly nuts but that's neither here nor there), one thing did ring particularly true of my experience with other people who have CIs: they're strictly a tool, and some of them frankly hate using them except when absolutely necessary. Hence the girl in the film constantly turning hers off, because what's the loving point. Most people are not as fortunate as I am to hear clearly enough to love music, freely converse, see movies in theaters, etc. etc. I'm a fortunate byproduct of very particular circumstances.

The other thing that really got at me...despite my comparative success with CIs compared to 99.9% of others, it is still, at times, a very alienating and lonely experience, being deaf. I can remember for instance a time in college when I was out with friends at the bar and we had kind of each broken off into our separate conversations with some girls we were chatting up, and the one I was talking to got so frustrated at my inability to clearly here her that she just gave up and left. That's an extreme example, but on a daily basis, it can leave you feeling very left out when you miss a joke or a snippet of conversation (ask any of my friends how I feel about the phrase "Never mind"), or even excluded entirely if you're at a place loud enough that keeping up with the conversation is almost entirely futile. The girl's particular frustrations in this film, feeling left out and even unloved, hit me right in the heart.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Matinee posted:

Forgot to mention earlier a great moment in my screening - in the context of how this movie makes audiences super-aware of the noises they make in the cinema space during the silent passages - just after the moment where it was revealed that mother and baby were fine, two people simultaneously and loudly cracked open obviously smuggled-in beer cans. Gave a great moment of relief laughter to the audience.

Nothing too funny, but I had a strong urge to clear my throat but waited until the movie was over to do it. Any other movie and I would have just done it, even during a quiet part.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I enjoyed the film and a large part of that was some old dude in the theatre yelling 'WELL IT'S ABOUT loving TIME' when she shotguns it in the face

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

God I wanted to like this movie so bad. I love John Krasinki and thought he was outstanding in 13 Hours.

But holy poo poo what a disappointment.

1-The pregnancy thing was downright absurd and I know that's been discussed but COME ON. This would have been WAY more effective had she maybe just gotten pregnant before the invasion, and they changed the days accordingly. Have it be day 50 when the kid gets eaten and she's already starting to show or something. At least that way it'd be justifiable and not really by choice. In the other case, it's just completely wreckless and caused us to resent them as parents since they already have two young kids they're trying to shepherd through this. While the birthing scene was definitely suspenseful, and was by far the scene that I was most invested in, the whole time we found ourselves resenting the parents for putting the mom in that situation.

2-The alien in the basement not being able to find the baby in the open casket while it's whimpering but yet locks on with perfect focus to a floorboard creak, or monopoly dice that don't land on a blanket. You've got to be kidding me- when the casket was open I thought for SURE the baby was dead and that would have been the ultimate gut punch, a twist that would have absolutely kicked the audience's rear end and been an amazingly aggressive turn of events, but instead Emily Blount walks over, and there's the baby, happy as can be, whimpering away while an alien with supposedly magnificent hearing (to the point that they make sure you see the humans walking on sand the entire time) walks around aimlessly like "Durrrrrr where da baby at!?".

3-"Hey, I just gave birth, ran around a whole bunch, blasted an alien in the face with a shotgun, but I'm gonna smile and cock this bad boy while my daughter gets ready to blast the frequency on the microphone cause we just figured out how to kill ya'll! Also, I have like 5 shots left, but LOCK AND LOAD!" What a poo poo ending.

The fiancee (who is an absolute horror encyclopedia and LOVES scary movies) tore it to shreds afterwards. We both agreed that the premise was really cool, but the execution failed miserably.

It's super disappointing because I think it could have been great with a few tweaks :(

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 12, 2018

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
All that stuff you mentioned is good, actually.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

All that stuff you mentioned is good, actually.

Hahahaha

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Thanks for setting us straight on this movie we all liked.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Not even going to provide some counter-arguments? Fly away, troll.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

*me watching John McClane step on glass* my fiance would just jump over it

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

Not even going to provide some counter-arguments? Fly away, troll.

You replied "All that stuff is good, actually." It's not, and I explained why in my post. But it's fine.

Dan Didio posted:

*me watching John McClane step on glass* my fiance would just jump over it

Heh! That was a close comparison.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

TheKevman posted:

God I wanted to like this movie so bad. I love John Krasinki and thought he was outstanding in 13 Hours.

But holy poo poo what a disappointment.

1-The pregnancy thing was downright absurd and I know that's been discussed but COME ON. This would have been WAY more effective had she maybe just gotten pregnant before the invasion, and they changed the days accordingly. Have it be day 50 when the kid gets eaten and she's already starting to show or something. At least that way it'd be justifiable and not really by choice. In the other case, it's just completely wreckless and caused us to resent them as parents since they already have two young kids they're trying to shepherd through this. While the birthing scene was definitely suspenseful, and was by far the scene that I was most invested in, the whole time we found ourselves resenting the parents for putting the mom in that situation.

2-The alien in the basement not being able to find the baby in the open casket while it's whimpering but yet locks on with perfect focus to a floorboard creak, or monopoly dice that don't land on a blanket. You've got to be kidding me- when the casket was open I thought for SURE the baby was dead and that would have been the ultimate gut punch, a twist that would have absolutely kicked the audience's rear end and been an amazingly aggressive turn of events, but instead Emily Blount walks over, and there's the baby, happy as can be, whimpering away while an alien with supposedly magnificent hearing (to the point that they make sure you see the humans walking on sand the entire time) walks around aimlessly like "Durrrrrr where da baby at!?".

3-"Hey, I just gave birth, ran around a whole bunch, blasted an alien in the face with a shotgun, but I'm gonna smile and cock this bad boy while my daughter gets ready to blast the frequency on the microphone cause we just figured out how to kill ya'll! Also, I have like 5 shots left, but LOCK AND LOAD!" What a poo poo ending.

The fiancee (who is an absolute horror encyclopedia and LOVES scary movies) tore it to shreds afterwards. We both agreed that the premise was really cool, but the execution failed miserably.

It's super disappointing because I think it could have been great with a few tweaks :(

1. People don't just stop loving.

2. The crib has already been shown to be semi sound prood and it's floating in moving water. I would say the baby not screaming coming out was less unbelievable, but it's a movie and my toddler bloodlust was already sated.

3. Who gives a poo poo it was rad. Also, ever heard of people doing extraordinary things when someone's life depended on it?

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 12, 2018

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

2. The crib has already been shown to be semi sound prood and it's floating in moving water. I would say the baby not screaming coming out was less unbelievable, but it's a movie and my toddler bloodlust was already sated.

It was open...

bushisms.txt posted:

3. Who gives a poo poo it was rad.

:ughh:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why would they stop fuckin. They gotta repopulate the planet

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
"A Quiet Place" Discussion: Never Stop Fuckin

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Matinee posted:

My co-audience was so into it that the only noise I heard besides the movie was the occasional recliner adjustment. It was amazing. One of the best movie going experiences of my life. The beer sounds funny though.

banned from Starbucks posted:

It's a good thing this was movie was so good otherwise I don't think I would be able to get past the concept of "aliens that are easily killed by shooting them in the face take over the world"

I think the hard part of that is getting them to stand still long enough to get the shot off. And I'd have to watch again to verify, but I got the impression that the kill shot was only effective because of the creature opening up its face armor while it freaked out about the noise. I'm probably wrong about that though.

edit - Added extra spoiler tags just in case.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 12, 2018

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

TheKevman posted:

It was open...

:ughh:

The most perfect baby ever barely makes a sound, especially compared to the running water. The movie is building on visuals to present a story. Running water sideways is almost as effective as water falling. The thing was tracking it though, in the water where sounds are magnified. It's why she then walks behind the thin trickle of water.

It's just weird to me that your complaint is something the movie sets rules for and not something that goes against "common sense" with how terrifically quiet the baby actually is.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

LloydDobler posted:

I got the impression that the kill shot was only effective because of the creature opening up its face armor while it freaked out about the noise. I'm probably wrong about that though.

Nah, that's explicitly what happens.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I forgot, where was all the water coming from anyway?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A broken pipe

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
I like that the movie is sparse in its exposition because otherwise things get nitpicked to death by NERDS. Have the aliens taken over the world? We don't know, but we do know they've effectively taken over this part of the world where the movie takes place. It's not hard to imagine that there's an active military resistance protecting more populated areas with high walls and sonic-based rifles. Or maybe a libertarian boat-city because I doubt these things can traverse the ocean. Maybe Australia is just fine for that reason.

When they don't tell you everything you can fill in the blanks. Hell, you can make your own head movie

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It’s actually pretty important to ask what kind of apocalypse this is.

Since the dead kid plot is so bog standard, the most/only interesting part of the film is the repeated emphasis on this being a financial apocalypse. Dude’s trying to maintain his own medical stuff, mom’s sewing replacement pieces for the monopoly board, doing laundry by hand because the machine doesn’t work anymore, etc. Poverty is a more plausible monster than the Death Angels.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I doubt these things can traverse the ocean. Maybe Australia is just fine for that reason.

Australia is already full of creatures that want to kill you so the aliens didn't bother.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Anyone else unnerved by the corn suffocation I wanted to squirm around in my seat, but it would have been too loud and I would have certainly been shamed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

As someone who doesn't know anything about CIs other than they exist and maybe this is better left for a A/T thread in itself; how do they work exactly? What does the operation entail and does it work for all types of deafness? Are there other types of deafness? Again, I'm an absolute idiot in this regard and I'd love to know more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Remote User posted:

Anyone else unnerved by the corn suffocation I wanted to squirm around in my seat, but it would have been too loud and I would have certainly been shamed.

I was trying to explain this as a Nebraskan who lives in New Hampshire to my friends and they didn't get it. We had it drilled in our heads from a young age that you do NOT gently caress around with corn silos.