Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Well it's about a quarter of the price of the Sydney stadium thingie in a city that actually likes sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Robodog posted:

So is this better than theNSW govt. Sydney stadiums stuff or worse or what.

Better, it is AFL.

Nah, a third or so of the costs are going to 'community grounds' which yes does include Princes Park, Kardinia Park, Eureka Stadium and Casey fields but also actual community grounds with change rooms for girls. The rest is an elevated concourse above Brunton avenue to Richmond station, with bars and food trucks, a new entertainment precinct for Docklands with an extra footbridge across the railyards and also bars and cafes and restraints there, plus the AFLs own investment into a 7 star hotel where AFL House is and a possible new music venue where Channel 7 HQ sits now on the northern end of the stadium, to replace Festival hall (or be similar anyway)

From what is gathered:

$10m for Princes Park (matched by AFL or federal government probably plus council & club contributions)
Final stage for Kardinia (no clue, 20-40m?)
Stage 2 for Eureka, stage 1 was $15m and included resurfacing and lighting. Stage 2 could be ~10m?
Whitten Oval upgrades $???
Victoria Park upgrades $???
Casey Fields upgrades $???
Moorabbin Oval upgrades $???
Docklands precinct upgrades $225m
MCG southern stand capacity boost & concourse $???

Local grass roots clubhouse upgrades $???

The footyshow (ugh) had this, which looks like like animations from the government, no doubt to be released in full at tomorrows press event
https://twitter.com/AFLFootyShow/status/984384711089840128

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

We are screaming for more space at my local, we have 240 registered people at a club that had like 60 players 5 years ago. 95 women. The change rooms are fine but holy lol the storage space for the gear, the pavillion, the councils ongoing refusal to kick the soccer kids off oval next door by installing lights on the actual soccer pitch 30 seconds walk to the south, it's putting a strain on.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
We'll find out more info in like 10 hours when the press conferences are happening but apparently the MCG upgrade is closer to 1bn than 300m. Seems the AFL or Fed Gov will be kicking in a bunch of cash. If it isn't a full tear down and rebuild job I wonder what they'll do, a fifth tier of seating that overlaps the fourth? Extend the 4th tier back like 10 more rows?

$240m for the suburban ovals (which is to say AFL club aligned suburban ovals, as well not just grass roots but they will get a chunk of that)

Princes Park getting $20mil, Moorabbin Oval getting $13mil, Casey Fields getting $10mil. not sure on Vic Park and Whitten Oval but that would mainly be AFLW investment so changerooms for two extra teams as well. So possibly $150m for local clubs around Victoria, possibly more if the AFL or feds kick in funding too.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 12, 2018

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

drunkill posted:

We'll find out more info in like 10 hours when the press conferences are happening but apparently the MCG upgrade is closer to 1bn than 300m. Seems the AFL or Fed Gov will be kicking in a bunch of cash. If it isn't a full tear down and rebuild job I wonder what they'll do, a fifth tier of seating that overlaps the fourth? Extend the 4th tier back like 10 more rows?

$240m for the suburban ovals (which is to say AFL club aligned suburban ovals, as well not just grass roots but they will get a chunk of that)

Princes Park getting $20mil, Moorabbin Oval getting $13mil, Casey Fields getting $10mil. not sure on Vic Park and Whitten Oval but that would mainly be AFLW investment so changerooms for two extra teams as well. So possibly $150m for local clubs around Victoria, possibly more if the AFL or feds kick in funding too.

A giant roof with a glass floor so spectators can watch from above

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
I just found out I tipped all 9 games correctly last Round, and missed the Blues/Pies margin by 1 point. I’m pointing this out because I’m fairly sure it’s never happened before, and I doubt it’ll happen again.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I've picked one away team this week, pray for MMG

Thanks for the Adelaide Oval advice guys, looking forward to it despite the weather. Next trick is to figure out how to smuggle rum in.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Huh.

Channel 7 and Foxtel to sign the cricket rights today. So 9 and 7 swapped cricket and tennis.

I wonder what this means for AFLW as that airs while late summer cricket is still running.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dr. Dirt posted:

I just found out I tipped all 9 games correctly last Round, and missed the Blues/Pies margin by 1 point. I’m pointing this out because I’m fairly sure it’s never happened before, and I doubt it’ll happen again.

Aha, so that's you, bloody well done. I find the tipping at this end of the season to be the miraculous time the better one does, simply because there's always a few surprises. You know the good teams will win away and the bad teams lose at home. Yeah Saints, you bloody turnips. I punted on GWS and Suns but they lost, I guess Freo is playing better at home this year and GWS still have to find a way to win at the SCG.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
richmond has 90,000 members :captainpop:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

snaeksikn posted:

:bandwagon:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Haha fuckin what - 20,000 is a ridiculous swing.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Adelaide claimed 80,000 today too but that includes 3 game memberships and digital memberships which the afl no longer counts, still; healthy numbers.

I guess the mcg upgrades cannot come soon enough.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

gary rohan's wife gave birth to twins but only one survived. poor family.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

snaeksikn posted:

Does this mean it's the optimum time to invest in microwaves?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

snaeksikn posted:

Oh poo poo that has to be the absolute peak of ambivalence. I can't even begin to imagine.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Thats shithouse. Plus his horrific injury last year when he tried to decapitate himself.

Here is the total funding breakdowns from the Vicgov announcement:

Maybe this thread could just become the sports upgrade thread, not only Melbourne Park and the MCG.

• The AFL Grand Final to be hosted at the MCG until 2057.
  • The Melbourne Cricket Club have committed to a $1bn+ redevelopment of the Great Southern Stand at the MCG, no taxpayer money involved.
  • $225m for upgrades around the Docklands stadium precinct and a new footbridge over the railyard. Possibly a new entertainment venue to replace Festival Hall on the site of the Channel 7 HQ. More places for bars, restaurants and offices surrounding the stadium precinct, possibly decking of a section of Wurundjeri Way.
A new 7 star hotel overlooking the waterfront including a grand ballroom to be built ontop of AFL House (using AFL money not this 225m)

• $64m to redevelop and upgrade the State Hocket/Netball Centre
  • $20m for Princes Park to become the home of AFLW. Pratt stand to be demolished with new facilities built under a new grandstand plus new lighting for night games
  • $15m to upgrade Albert Park, Yarra Bend and other key suburban sporting precinct
  • $13m for Moorabbin Oval to host AFLW and VFL & VFLW games
  • $10m for Casey Fields upgrades, new changerooms no doubt and a thousand or two more seats on top
  • $10m for Whitten Oval, new change rooms no doubt
  • $2m for Victoria Park womens changerooms and other minor upgrades

Plus:
  • $60m for suburban community sporting facilities upgrades
  • $17.7m for the Significant Sporting Events Program
  • $15m for Female Friendly Facilities Fund
  • $5m for the Community Sports Infrastructure Loans scheme

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Getting the MCC to fully fund a $1bn upgrade is a seriously good effort. I look forward to paying for it in my membership fees :argh:

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

snaeksikn posted:

Legit members or like, in total with all the one match a year members and baby members and make my cat a member bullshit ones?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Another etihad rail bridge would go into the back of the police complex being built?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Probably, unless they punch a hole in the DFO building.

Or it might come out on a 45 degree angle from the Bourke St footbridge and go towards the northern end of the ground, who knows, no actual plans released, just concept art with big flashy screens overlooking the railyards (lol)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Bec Goddard has left the Crows AFLW coaching position and gone back to Canberra to continue with the AFP full time

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

That's a full months worth of cheese and pate budget for the mcc, hope they'll be ok

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

drunkill posted:

Huh.

Channel 7 and Foxtel to sign the cricket rights today. So 9 and 7 swapped cricket and tennis.

I wonder what this means for AFLW as that airs while late summer cricket is still running.
I think the ODIs are on Foxtel only (no real loss) so that's what that means.

Anyway what's the MCG upgrade actually going to involve? The Great Southern Stand doesn't look that tired (I'm old enough to remember the old one and it was a minor miracle it didn't go up in flames considering how many durrie butts ended up on it)

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 13, 2018

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Bec Goddard has left the Crows AFLW coaching position and gone back to Canberra to continue with the AFP full time

That's a shame, she came across as a cool coach

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

MysticalMachineGun posted:

That's a shame, she came across as a cool coach

I agree, it is a shame that she is in fact a fascist pig

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The afl has offered an olive branch to non Victorian clubs

1) the afl will continue to allow non Victorian clubs to play in the afl
2) the afl will address the home game advantage for Victorian teams in the grand final by requiring non-Victorian teams to play a percentage of their home games at the MCG

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

snaeksikn posted:

:smith:

The story is a little more complex than I first thought, they knew that one of the girls would not survive more than a few hours at the 11 week scan due to a fatal condition which causes parts of the brain and skull to under develop. They seem like pretty amazing people in the way that they've handled the awful situation.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Solemn Sloth posted:

The afl has offered an olive branch to non Victorian clubs

1) the afl will continue to allow non Victorian clubs to play in the afl
2) the afl will address the home game advantage for Victorian teams in the grand final by requiring non-Victorian teams to play a percentage of their home games at the MCG

Actually they did throw in a bone. Interstate grandfinallists will now get chartered flights to melbourne aka first class and extra chances to train at the mcg in the week before the match.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Spedman posted:

:smith:

The story is a little more complex than I first thought, they knew that one of the girls would not survive more than a few hours at the 11 week scan due to a fatal condition which causes parts of the brain and skull to under develop. They seem like pretty amazing people in the way that they've handled the awful situation.

I've known a few people that had to make a choice like that, and another set of family friends had two baby boys in a row where the urethra didn't develop and they died of renal failure

What I'm saying is that everyone should at least consider adoption

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

Getting the MCC to fully fund a $1bn upgrade is a seriously good effort. I look forward to paying for it in my membership fees :argh:

Oh poo poo you poor rich person maybe sell yet another Picasso to cover the next year's dues hey?

Maybe daddy and mummy could allow you a little bit more out of your allowance? Or not buy that Range Rover this year and God help you have to use last year's model to go up to the snow this year God I hope the Baillieu's from down the road don't notice this.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The people should adopt line is trotted out a lot, but many people would be surprised at how difficult it is to adopt.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

realbez posted:

The people should adopt line is trotted out a lot, but many people would be surprised at how difficult it is to adopt.

Oh I'm aware, it can be a real prick of a thing years in the making. My cousin finally got another kid in through adoption after a couple of years of fuckery and they take in foster kids frequently, it would be even harder if you weren't able to prove a track record of being a decent parent.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wow, what a miserable night for footy!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

hiddenmovement posted:

Oh I'm aware, it can be a real prick of a thing years in the making. My cousin finally got another kid in through adoption after a couple of years of fuckery and they take in foster kids frequently, it would be even harder if you weren't able to prove a track record of being a decent parent.

Which is completely loving ridiculous given how many children there are that would benefit enormously from adoption and how many people out there are desperate to have children but can’t for whatever reason. The state of the system is disgusting and it angers me, greatly.

Anyway, the news of the Rohan’s trouble is very sad, but I’m glad it wasn’t a surprise. They at least had time to do some grieving before the arrival of their healthy girl.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Wow, what a miserable night for footy!

Not so bad if you're under cover. Gonna be a poo poo game though, first wet weather one always is

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I don't want to be that guy but the light show earlier was tacky as gently caress.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I mean I'll still be that guy because I love having a bitch about glitzy tacky poo poo.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
All afl light shows are bad and also teams playing obnoxious noises after goals should be banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

the eagles do a big dumb drum thump sound as the letters G-O-A-L appear one by one on the big screens, i was kind of disappointed they didnt go all in and scare half the crowd each time with a loud af eagle shriek instead