Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The youtube channel will persist. 30000 lost subscribers in a matter of weeks is significant, but not for a channel with a million + subs.

It's absolutely the end of Channel Awesome as a brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

He's also recently unretired his video game critic show, so I guess ghost chasing didn't pay the bills? I'm going to make myself stop typing now. I got most of this information from the irate gamer sucks blog, which I check in on from time to time. I know it's pretty pathetic to read a blog dedicated to hating on someone, but I can't help it. Irate Gamer is so captivating to me; so fascinating. I can't look away. If nothing else, it's a bit of a respite from the Channel Awesome drama, which just makes be feel bad :(

There's always room for laughing at figures such as Chris and (in my case) DSP, as it's mostly just laughing at sheer incompetence. DSP will always be the very greatest of the lolcows.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So who's got the writing chops to do the "death of the wcw" book about CA when things quiet down?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Kim Justice posted:

There's always room for laughing at figures such as Chris and (in my case) DSP, as it's mostly just laughing at sheer incompetence. DSP will always be the very greatest of the lolcows.

I constantly feel guilty for following DSP stuff but then a new mrhuth video pops up and I cannot help myself

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Arcsquad12 posted:

The youtube channel will persist. 30000 lost subscribers in a matter of weeks is significant, but not for a channel with a million + subs.

It's absolutely the end of Channel Awesome as a brand.

How tho? If no one is making content for it, that is. And hopefully no creators in their right mind would join.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Just to note; She makes it clear in a follow-up tweet that it's purely precautionary.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

FreezingInferno posted:

Where can I see this? Because I need to see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbHxTaufDDk

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lightning Knight posted:

How tho? If no one is making content for it, that is. And hopefully no creators in their right mind would join.

You realize it's not like Doug himself is going to stop making his terrible videos, right? Just because their lovely web 2.0 website has imploded is not going to stop their Youtube channel anytime soon.

The Day the Awesome Died. Elton John would be proud.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 13, 2018

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'm now imaging Larry lighting a cigar on the flaming wreckage of channel awesome before peacing out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lightning Knight posted:

Doug isn't gonna leave his own site, dude. Unless the dude actually straight up retires he ain't going anywhere

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Even if, let's face it, things like Tamara's Never Seen are viewed by about 3 people each time...yeah, NC is more than big enough to support the YT channel on his own. Indeed, considering that the site is now just a raging fire and flashpoint for the brand's complete and total collapse, binning the site and sticking solely to the YouTube channel (with a rebrand, perhaps) would by this point be the smart thing to do.

Which is why it won't happen

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The real danger is they'll lose advertisers but I guess he can always start a patreon

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Arcsquad12 posted:

You realize it's not like Doug himself is going to stop making his terrible videos, right? Just because their lovely web 2.0 website has imploded is not going to stop their Youtube channel anytime soon.

No I honestly don't, I've never heard of this place until it came up in this thread since last month. :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lightning Knight posted:

No I honestly don't, I've never heard of this place until it came up in this thread since last month. :colbert:

Well, fair enough then. But no, the website dying won't mean much since the majority of his viewers are on Youtube now.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I constantly feel guilty for following DSP stuff but then a new mrhuth video pops up and I cannot help myself

I'm just imagining DSP running CA right now to be honest

WHAAAAAT, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO? It's not my fault! I was BLOCKING them on Twitter! How did they release the log? I DIDN'T DO THAT! The loving scrubs CHEATED! ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK *snort*

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Arcsquad12 posted:

To be fair, it's not unreasonable to expect Doug to do what a lot of celebrities (I know, I know) do when they suffer a PR nightmare like this and disappear from the public eye for a while, maybe do one or two low-key things, and then come back after the heat's cooled down and their crimes have largely faded from public memory.
Of course, generally speaking, celebrities that do this are those that have some measure of shame and/or sense. I think it's pretty clear by this point that Doug and friends, as has been mentioned elsewhere here, are basically Trumpian in their detachment from reality and narcissistic delusion.

Anyway. I've never actually bothered with these threads before - didn't even know that Lindsay and Allison posted here - and just wanted to thank you two for lots of excellent videos over the years and also to extend my condolences to anyone affected, victims or unknowing friends, by the whole JW reveal.
This poo poo went from 'haha, what loving morons' to 'holy poo poo what monsters' fast and hard :smith:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/LarryBundyJr/status/984621004491194370

Larry is claiming it's down to him and Brad. There's no confirmation either way.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kim Justice posted:

Even if, let's face it, things like Tamara's Never Seen are viewed by about 3 people each time...yeah, NC is more than big enough to support the YT channel on his own. Indeed, considering that the site is now just a raging fire and flashpoint for the brand's complete and total collapse, binning the site and sticking solely to the YouTube channel (with a rebrand, perhaps) would by this point be the smart thing to do.

Which is why it won't happen

Isn't Tamara's Never Seen pretty popular? I could easily see it eclipsing NC in the future, especially if they let her start a separate channel for it. I mean, I haven't been watching it lately because I don't want to support Channel Awesome, but I'd definitely start watching it again if Tamara left CA and they let her keep doing it; I just kind of assumed that there were a lot of other people in the same boat.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Allison was always one of my favorites because she was the only one who seemed to actually like the movies she covered. Most of the big names and many of the small ones got ahead by pretending movies were insufferable and rage inducing but it's like, b-movies are fun and everyone knows this. So just have fun with them, right?

I guess Hagan was also that way, which is maybe why I watched her even if I hated the skits.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

https://twitter.com/LarryBundyJr/status/984621004491194370

Larry is claiming it's down to him and Brad. There's no confirmation either way.

The ship has gone vertical and is making its final plunge, imploding beneath itself as the ocean consumes it. Only two men remain onboard, one of them clings to the railings with all his might and weeps in dread; the other stands defiantly atop the letters TITANIC - LIVERPOOL, cackling madly, firing a revolve into the air and shouting at the other man, "Nice night fer a swim, innit?!"

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 13, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So now its down to a guy who is loyal to a fault and will absolutely not let go, and the other guy who will only leave if he is the very last one. I put my chips on CA just letting Brad and Larry go at this point, neither will go their own way.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

The site is already basically vestigial to their business, so whether the site becomes an actual boneyard or actually gets taken down is largely irrelevant to their actual operation.

However I give equal weight to Michaud leaving it up out of ego and taking it down to save a few bucks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So... uh... wow. I'm so sorry, former CA people here. Virtual hugs to everyone. :sympathy:

Anyway, now for something completely different: Pushing Up Roses has an episode up about EA*KIDS, a short-lived division of EA dedicated to publishing edutainment titles in the '90s!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB2tYqUXkQ8

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Brad just got done livestreaming his review of Rampage and is probably unaware of how bad this has gotten. He's probably going to wake up to this tommorrow.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flubby posted:

Brad just got done livestreaming his review of Rampage and is probably unaware of how bad this has gotten. He's probably going to wake up to this tommorrow.

Or he's just doing what he said he would earlier and "staying out of the drama."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I know this is kinda digging into personal life stuff, but I'm sure it's common knowledge: is the redhead in Brad's videos his wife? I've kinda been lax on watching his stuff.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

At this point I'm just part of everyone egging Larry on to beat Brad. It's like an underdog winning the Royal Rumble and it would be a great thing to happen on Rusev Day

I also made a poll

https://twitter.com/KimxxxJustice/status/984623288050765824

The results are currently as expected

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kim Justice posted:

At this point I'm just part of everyone egging Larry on to beat Brad.

I'm gonna double down on the Toxx: Brad nor Larry will willfully leave, either CA closes down and removes them OR they'll stay as the 3 amigos.

E: Also the answer is DSP

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Kim Justice posted:

At this point I'm just part of everyone egging Larry on to beat Brad. It's like an underdog winning the Royal Rumble and it would be a great thing to happen on Rusev Day

I also made a poll

https://twitter.com/KimxxxJustice/status/984623288050765824

The results are currently as expected

Honestly? At this point, same. The idea of the site's last known survivor being a guy nobody even knew was one there, and who is clearly taking the piss this whole time, is amazing.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So my wife just alerted me to this scene from Kickassia. For some reason, it feels appropriate to all of this:

https://youtu.be/NJuz70OHrxE?t=3008

(In case Youtube fails at timestamps, it's 50:07ish to 51:47ish)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think it's important to remember how many people just watch NC on their YouTube feed and are done with it until next week. They're not reading comments or looking at Twitter and being exposed to all this.

Doug himself would have to do some hosed up poo poo ON the show to really hit rock bottom.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nine-gear crow posted:

The ship has gone vertical and is making its final plunge, imploding beneath itself as the ocean consumes it. Only two men remain onboard, one of them clings to the railings with all his might and weeps in dread; the other stands defiantly atop the letters TITANIC - LIVERPOOL, cackling madly, firing a revolve into the air and shouting at the other man, "Nice night fer a swim, innit?!"

"I knew that stupid bastard couldn't turn fast enough" is a powerful choice for last words and I respect it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pants Donkey posted:

I think it's important to remember how many people just watch NC on their YouTube feed and are done with it until next week. They're not reading comments or looking at Twitter and being exposed to all this.

Doug himself would have to do some hosed up poo poo ON the show to really hit rock bottom.

also yea this, CA will survive because most of Doug's audience is like my boyfriend who just watches him on Youtube when sees a video about a movie he liked and has no idea what the deal is. Until Doug personally does something insane on actual NC's feed he's insulated.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Or they lose enough advertisers but I don't see that happening.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Inadvertently related:

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/984608269460160512

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pants Donkey posted:

Bear in mind there's apparently a video response coming.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neil deGrasse Tyson was born in 1958 and grew up in the 60s and 70s; in his day, "awesome" had certainly already diluted in meaning to the point of being used for food and TV shows. :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So did Larry win king of poo poo Mountain?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So did Larry win king of poo poo Mountain?

Viceroy, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was looking at the Channel Awesome forums and it seems they made a discord for themselves in the event that the forums get shut down.