Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I like parsley on eggs, whether an egg cake (eggs, milk and a bit of flour beaten to a homogeneous mix, then put in an oven pan and baked, and served with thick-cut bacon either in the pan or sprinkled on top), or on top of rye-bread with butter, eggs and tomatoes. Also a really good topping for ramen when it comes with an egg. I guess what I'm really saying is that parsley goes well with eggs.

Only way I can think of to link surreal manga to food is Splatter Film from Shin Yami no Koe - Kaidan by Itou Junji. Perhaps it's for the best that there isn't much manga that mixes horror/surreal with food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Kumika is about food too!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

D. Ebdrup posted:

I like parsley on eggs, whether an egg cake (eggs, milk and a bit of flour beaten to a homogeneous mix, then put in an oven pan and baked, and served with thick-cut bacon either in the pan or sprinkled on top), or on top of rye-bread with butter, eggs and tomatoes. Also a really good topping for ramen when it comes with an egg. I guess what I'm really saying is that parsley goes well with eggs.

Only way I can think of to link surreal manga to food is Splatter Film from Shin Yami no Koe - Kaidan by Itou Junji. Perhaps it's for the best that there isn't much manga that mixes horror/surreal with food?

More "fantasy" than surreal, but have you read Delicious in Dungeon? It's fantastic.

EDIT: I guess I'm in a pensive mood today, but I think it's remarkable and awesome to see just how many mangas that were dug up in this thread over the years ended up with their own threads, and some of them even their own anime series. Just off the top of my head we've got:

- Assassination Classroom
- The Truth Is, I'm ...
- Hinamatsuri
- My Neighbor Seki-Kun
- It's Me, Sakamoto
- Hakumei & Mikochi
- Flying Witch

Probably a bunch of others I'm missing too, but I'm really proud of how good this thread is at finding interesting, off-kilter gems. :unsmith:

Now, if only we got a Sumire-16 anime....

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 24, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, it's a solid thread for finding good recommendations I probably normally wouldn't have read because of their tags. I certainly wouldn't have read Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa, and Sakamoto Desu ga is definitely one I would've pegged as something for me.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Started reading Gokushufudo. The chronicles of a big time Yakuza enforcer turned dedicated house husband.

It's a little hit and miss, but the art is fantastic and a few of the chapters did make me laugh out loud.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 3, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

Started reading Gokushufudo. The chronicles of a big time Yakuza enforcer turned dedicated house husband.

It's a little hit and miss, but the art is fantastic and a few of the chapters did make me laugh out loud.

This is a great find. I'm having a blast -- but the hugest shock here is BATOTO STILL EXISTS?! Like, dude, I thought it had shut down??

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Far as I'm aware the current 'bato.to' is a scraping site that likes to try and install bitcoin miners on your PC so unless anything's changed recently you might want to avoid it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mangadex is new bato.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Hitoribocchi finally updated again and she makes a new friend!!

SennyYak
May 10, 2010

In related news, Hitoribocchi is getting an anime!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Tsubana, creator of The Wandering of Girls' Group No. 7, a favorite of mine, is making a new manga called Wakusei Closet. It's also about kids wandering through alien landscapes, but there's an element of horror too!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new Senryu Girl

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I think Senryu Girl is the cutest manga I'm following right now.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Komi-San Can't Communicate: The Next Generation, Encounter At CutePoint

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Aw hell why not. This one is dope you guys. I love Komi's semi-permanent :stare: face.

EDIT: I can't unsee the guy's hair as a weird flower/mini palm tree.

Hahahaha

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 29, 2018

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
This time on sleepy princess:
Everyone looks inside the Princess' mouth.

Oh, also

E: god drat april fools chapter. I hate when scanlators do this.
On the bright side, she has a shark kigu :3:

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 1, 2018

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

April Fool's chapters are so tired and overused at this point that the real prank would be to do a normal release.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Heres the real Madoromi-chan

Capitalism ho!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Wakusei Closet 3-5

It keeps getting weirder and spookier! I like how new elements are being laid every single chapter, how each one raises more questions. It's very dreamy and surreal and slightly frightening.

EDIT: Anyone know what happened to +Tic Neesan? It was pretty surreal, fit this thread perfectly. Last I heard it got an anime, but did the group stop translating it? Did it get licensed?

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 2, 2018

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I've been reading While Killing Slimes for 300 years I became Max Level Unkowingly which, despite being an Isekai, has a protagonist that's doing her best to just live a peaceful life and so far it's turning out super slice-of-life with just extremely short battle scenes, so I feel it would fit in this thread.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Seems fun so far!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
That is very cute and good!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Gloomy Rube posted:

I've been reading While Killing Slimes for 300 years I became Max Level Unkowingly which, despite being an Isekai, has a protagonist that's doing her best to just live a peaceful life and so far it's turning out super slice-of-life with just extremely short battle scenes, so I feel it would fit in this thread.

This manga is full of smiles that need protecting.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Dat smile can protect itself. Dat smile strong

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Sleepy Princess is getting released in English by Viz.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Yaaaaay! A definite buy from me.
I wasn't aware that anyone other than us called it "Sleepy Princess".

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Goblin is Very Strong
How are the duke boys heroes gonna get outta this one?

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Huzzah! posted:

new Goblin is Very Strong
How are the duke boys heroes gonna get outta this one?

If this has been linked before I've definitely missed it, but Goblin's got some top tier faces.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
She is also very strong and has good friends :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Wakusei Closet

First contact is made.

:f5:

I love this, it's so dreamy, yet weirdly grounded. It has some of the surreal dreamy feel of Arrival.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Senryu Girl
Four balls and a stick on the edge of a table...

edit: tiny prez

Huzzah! fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 9, 2018

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Huzzah! posted:

new Senryu Girl

I feel like this is the first time I see something that looks like a real date in a manga.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

new Senryu Girl

This chapter had such an alarming title, but it was cute in the end :3:

Also, I think in French, the moment of falling in love is described as 'a flash of lightning', or something similar. I dunno if it was the author's intention, but I thought it was cool.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

OK, it's not SDL, it's straight-up sci-fi, but since the author's previous thing -- Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru (And Yet The Town Turns) -- was a perennial in this thread, I'll link just so you can get a leg up on what he's doing right now.

Tengoku Daikmakyou (The Grand Devil's Cave of Heaven)

In a post-apocalyptic world, some kids, raised in a perfectly safe controlled environment, start to wonder what's "Outside of the outside".

Unlike Soremachi it's not comedic at all, and there's sci-fi mystery and intrigue! But it's very good, well-written, and I'm a big fan of the author's style. I'm eager to see where it goes!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

A bunch of new chapters of City (by the author of Nichijou) just dropped all of a sudden!!

EDIT: But I'm not going to link to them because they're just scans of a licensed manga!!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 13, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh poo poo i gotta get on that

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Was going to mention that it was about time the fan translations caught up because the official English release of volume 1 was like 2 weeks ago, but from checking it looks like these are just scans of said official English release.

On that note, volume 2 of City is supposed to be released in English June 12th.

EDIT: Okay yeah these are just exact scans from the licensed release of Volume 1. Everything from translation to font and way of handling sound effects is exactly the same.

DrSunshine posted:

Oh poo poo it's licensed? Dang, good catch!!

Not only that, but all of Nichijou and the compilations of Keiichi Arawi's side stuff, Helvetica Standard Bold and Italic have licensed releases too. Vertical Comics seem to have just more recently gotten the rights to his stuff and has been speeding through it all to catch up to City.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 13, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Black Mage Knight posted:

Was going to mention that it was about time the fan translations caught up because the official English release of volume 1 was like 2 weeks ago, but from checking it looks like these are just scans of said official English release.

Oh poo poo it's licensed? Dang, good catch!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Sleepy Princess
Giant! Giant! Giant! Become unstoppable!