Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Everything that happens in those plot lines are that the characters fail and fail and finally realize how to accept the failure and the loss and figure out a way to actually do something that eventually saves the day.

The only character that doesn’t win is Kylo Ren because he cannot embrace his failure. He cannot fail. Therefore he fails the most.

Just like Channel Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
So, honest question, if other people knew about the jew wario thing, why were they complicit about not mentioning it? Was the institutional pressure actually on the level of MSU/Penn state or were they bound by some weird contract? And why is it bad that he was unmasked as an abuser?

I haven't honestly watched anything by the CA people since spoony fell off the internet nearly a decade ago, so I'm not really up to date on the groups goings on other than it all being on fire at the moment.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
The last few pages make me want to stop following the thread, because it's getting really depressing. At the same time, I feel like if I do, then I'd be out of the loop about this stuff.

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/NJ4K1/status/984648820624572416

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 13, 2018

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

FoldableHuman posted:

Simulated image:

Blessed image.

Can someone edit Larry into the Highlander with Cinema Snob as the Kurgan?

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Valliantstu posted:

So, honest question, if other people knew about the jew wario thing, why were they complicit about not mentioning it? Was the institutional pressure actually on the level of MSU/Penn state or were they bound by some weird contract? And why is it bad that he was unmasked as an abuser?

I haven't honestly watched anything by the CA people since spoony fell off the internet nearly a decade ago, so I'm not really up to date on the groups goings on other than it all being on fire at the moment.

It seems that the victims didn't want the story revealed because they feared a witch hunt.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Mischalaniouse posted:

It seems that the victims didn't want the story revealed because they feared a witch hunt.

That makes a bit more sense if it was the victim's wishes. Thanks for answering.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Valliantstu posted:

It’s basically fear of the fans’ retaliation. If you take down an admired figure, people are going to defend them. Hard. The idea that this person they love and admire is actually pretty bad is something that really messes with some people.

And some people will get nasty about it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Max Wilco posted:

The last few pages make me want to stop following the thread, because it's getting really depressing. At the same time, I feel like if I do, then I'd be out of the loop about this stuff.
broadly speaking that's completely fine

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://twitter.com/LarryBundyJr/status/984576447712055296

lol

It'd be poetry if this ended with the last remaining Channel Awesome producer being fired for being disrespectful to the site

Augus fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 13, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It’s basically fear of the fans’ retaliation. If you take down an admired figure, people are going to defend them. Hard. The idea that this person they love and admire is actually pretty bad is something that really messes with some people.

And some people will get nasty about it.

Hard to break out of the first stage of grief...and few were as loved and admired as he was as one of the most positive figures in the whole community, especially after his death. Not more than a few days ago I said that I regretted never having a chance to know him...that's not aged well.

Perfectly understandable why it took so long for it to come out really...I mean, people have invoked Savile comparisons (although Jimmy Savile turned out to basically be the very ultimate in terrible) but even in his case, people made jokes and poo poo about his proclivities so much when he was alive that the big cover up seems so obvious in retrospect - the surprise wasn't so much that he did bad poo poo, it was how incredible in scope the bad poo poo was. Making accusations about JewWario following his passing must have felt more akin to trying to take down Mr. Rogers.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

IronicDongz posted:

it's full of tertiary characters and plotlines that go nowhere and it doesn't know when the gently caress to end. by the time they got to the salt planet I was 100% in "why is there still more movie left" mode

The whole chase plot makes no sense and the film is still mostly wallowing in the shadow of the original trilogy instead of making use of its more interesting original characters (even tho Mark Hamil is 100% A+ gold every moment he's on screen). I liked the purple-haired lady tho and thought Po was an rear end.

It's unfortunate that a large swath of the internet has decided to hate the new Star Wars movies for being "SJW liberal trash" and I feel compelled to defend them or at least point out that their criticisms are wrong, because I don't like the new Star Wars films and think they're boring nostalgia bait. :/

Hbomb's videos making fun of the "Star Wars is SJW now!!!!" crowd were really funny tho.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 13, 2018

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

PO's arc felt like a wankfest for COs written by a CO, Finns arc felt like Disney just whimpering in a corner "Please don't actually expect us to let the black character do anything relevant!", Luke/Rey/WideloadKen arc was legit great though.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Playstation 4 posted:

PO's arc felt like a wankfest for COs written by a CO, Finns arc felt like Disney just whimpering in a corner "Please don't actually expect us to let the black character do anything relevant!", Luke/Rey/WideloadKen arc was legit great though.

I really like Rey, and I really, really like Finn. They keep hyping up "the scene where Finn gets to kick someone's rear end" and then takin' it away from him. :mad:

But yeah I think that the Last Jedi is really tedious and has bad pacing, the chase scene as a conceit was really bad, and they almost did something cool with the big fight scene in the throne room and then pissed it away at the last second by choosing the only one of three options that was boring and predictable. There's a lot of things I like about the movie conceptually, certain characters, and visually, but I just am not on board with their approach to narrative, plotting, and world building.

Of course, the internet has decided that the worst thing about these movies is that POC are in them and there's a lady with purple hair who correctly owns a white man for being stupid, as opposed to any actual problems with the film.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Kim Justice posted:

Hard to break out of the first stage of grief...and few were as loved and admired as he was as one of the most positive figures in the whole community, especially after his death. Not more than a few days ago I said that I regretted never having a chance to know him...that's not aged well.

Perfectly understandable why it took so long for it to come out really...I mean, people have invoked Savile comparisons (although Jimmy Savile turned out to basically be the very ultimate in terrible) but even in his case, people made jokes and poo poo about his proclivities so much when he was alive that the big cover up seems so obvious in retrospect - the surprise wasn't so much that he did bad poo poo, it was how incredible in scope the bad poo poo was. Making accusations about JewWario following his passing must have felt more akin to trying to take down Mr. Rogers.

I cried when he died. I even said in a previous version of this thread he was the best of us. I'm pissed and devastated, but that's nothing compared to what the people who knew him personally in real life must be going through right now.

The Saville comparison doesn't work for me either, because with Saville, everybody pretty much said that in hindsight, well, duh. I have no such hindsight with Justin.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lightning Knight posted:

I really like Rey, and I really, really like Finn. They keep hyping up "the scene where Finn gets to kick someone's rear end" and then takin' it away from him. :mad:

But yeah I think that the Last Jedi is really tedious and has bad pacing, the chase scene as a conceit was really bad, and they almost did something cool with the big fight scene in the throne room and then pissed it away at the last second by choosing the only one of three options that was boring and predictable. There's a lot of things I like about the movie conceptually, certain characters, and visually, but I just am not on board with their approach to narrative, plotting, and world building.

Of course, the internet has decided that the worst thing about these movies is that POC are in them and there's a lady with purple hair who correctly owns a white man for being stupid, as opposed to any actual problems with the film.

I hear more opinions in line with yours then I do about SJW or whatever.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Lightning Knight posted:

It really is sad on the Finn front, an absolute waste of Boyega's talent onscreen.

The entirety of Holdos arc is really stupid, not because "Omg womz", but because she acts like a typical CO high on their own farts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Poe is a brash rear end in a top hat. He thinks he's entitled to be a hero, that he deserves to be in command. But he doesn't. He can't just take a breath and let someone else run the show. It was all about him winning the day by shooting the bad guys.

Until the end when he decided to figure out a plan using logic, and reason, that didn't involve shooting. It took a while, but he got it at the end.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Playstation 4 posted:

I haven't seen Last Jedi yet, but didn't Finn get his back/spine grazed with a lightsaber and left in a coma at the end of Force Awakens?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

EVEN DURING ALL THIS

EVEN DURING ALL THIS

WE STILL FIND TIME TO ARGUE ABOUT loving STAR WARS

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alaois posted:

EVEN DURING ALL THIS

EVEN DURING ALL THIS

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

CelticPredator posted:

Poe is a brash rear end in a top hat. He thinks he's entitled to be a hero, that he deserves to be in command. But he doesn't. He can't just take a breath and let someone else run the show. It was all about him winning the day by shooting the bad guys.

Until the end when he decided to figure out a plan using logic, and reason, that didn't involve shooting. It took a while, but he got it at the end.

Or, you know, he wants confirmation that the fore plan isn't "We die". Surprise, the movie has him instantly go along with one when its presented, no hemming or hesitation whatsoever, almost like that was all that's ever needed.

All Holdo needed to do was tell the person who both this and the previous movie have confirmed as brash yes, but not even in the slightest disloyal or traitorous, the plans basics and none of the movie happens. But the new CO can't help but play high school favorites instead of being a Commander and whoops, things happen.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Alaois posted:

EVEN DURING ALL THIS

EVEN DURING ALL THIS

Dude, this is really loving horrible for some people. Kindly let them come down for a space and talk about other things in the thread if they need to.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CelticPredator posted:

I hear more opinions in line with yours then I do about SJW or whatever.

I've personally met a lot of people who weren't strictly alt-right or GamerGaters or what have you but were really mad about the purple haired lady talking down to the sick fighter pilot hero and that type of stuff. It's there, but it depends on what kind of circles you observe.

Playstation 4 posted:

Or, you know, he wants confirmation that the fore plan isn't "We die". Surprise, the movie has him instantly go along with one when its presented, no hemming or hesitation whatsoever, almost like that was all that's ever needed.

All Holdo needed to do was tell the person who both this and the previous movie have confirmed as brash yes, but not even in the slightest disloyal or traitorous, the plans basics and none of the movie happens. But the new CO can't help but play high school favorites instead of being a Commander and whoops, things happen.

This isn't actually how military organizations work. He doesn't need to know poo poo. There's a reason that the movie, while it stupidly waffles on whether or not he or the admiral lady is right, comes down on her side by having Leia, the embodiment of moral rightness in the film, taze the poo poo out of Po for being an rear end in a top hat.

But this all ignores that the entire conceit of the chase scene is a stupid mechanism that actively makes no sense in terms of time flow or internal consistency and easily could've been done with a different excuse plot.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Alaois posted:

EVEN DURING ALL THIS

EVEN DURING ALL THIS

I mean, do you want the thread to go back to discussion of eventual gater chuds harassing every CA contributer?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm more surprised that it's not about the Prequels.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lightning Knight posted:

I've personally met a lot of people who weren't strictly alt-right or GamerGaters or what have you but were really mad about the purple haired lady talking down to the sick fighter pilot hero and that type of stuff. It's there, but it depends on what kind of circles you observe.

Yeah, this is fair. Honestly the only people I met that loved the film as much as I did, are Star Wars nerds where anything and everything Star Wars is good, including, and especially, the books and poo poo.

I grew up with it and it's a part of my childhood, but I don't love all of it. I mean, I kinda let it go for almost a decade because I was sick of all the bullshit things Lucas was doing to the OT. I was stoked for TFA, and I liked it, but didn't love it... but TLJ struck a chord with me on a super personal and emotional level. I wish I could discuss these things with people IRL, but I can never find them.

Movies are weird.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

This isn't actually how military organizations work. He doesn't need to know poo poo. There's a reason that the movie, while it stupidly waffles on whether or not he or the admiral lady is right, comes down on her side by having Leia, the embodiment of moral rightness in the film, taze the poo poo out of Po for being an rear end in a top hat.

It’s a resistance movement, though, not an army. You can’t expect a group of mostly untrained volunteers to all have that level of discipline. They’re fighting against the First Order because they don’t want to live in a totalitarian society where authority must never be questioned.

I think it was a bad decision on Holdo’s part to withhold that information, but treating Poe in such a condescending way made it worse. Not only in-universe, but from the audience’s perspective as well, since he was a well-liked character from the previous movie and she was a total newcomer.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, this is fair. Honestly the only people I met that loved the film as much as I did, are Star Wars nerds where anything and everything Star Wars is good, including, and especially, the books and poo poo.

I grew up with it and it's a part of my childhood, but I don't love all of it. I mean, I kinda let it go for almost a decade because I was sick of all the bullshit things Lucas was doing to the OT. I was stoked for TFA, and I liked it, but didn't love it... but TLJ struck a chord with me on a super personal and emotional level. I wish I could discuss these things with people IRL, but I can never find them.

Movies are weird.

Hey, there's enough of it I like a lot that I'm quite open to gushing about if you are.

Also, aside, someone asked me about Mertokur today due to some twitter poo poo that happened and I repeated what I remember hearing here, that he was an rear end. Guy asked me how so and I guess I just don't want to hard dig the twitter, anyone remember stuff in this thread about him or am I misremembering? I'm at work so I guess I can look when I get home, but I figure no harm in asking.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bakeneko posted:

It’s a resistance movement, though, not an army. You can’t expect a group of mostly untrained volunteers to all have that level of discipline. They’re fighting against the First Order because they don’t want to live in a totalitarian society where authority must never be questioned.

I think it was a bad decision on Holdo’s part to withhold that information, but treating Poe in such a condescending way made it worse. Not only in-universe, but from the audience’s perspective as well, since he was a well-liked character from the previous movie and she was a total newcomer.

Yes, but the movie is deliberately making a point. This is one of the few things I genuinely thought was brilliant about the film. They brought in an unconventionally attractive female authority figure, they granted sympathetic POV to the rear end in a top hat fighter jock, they made it seem like he was going to show her up, but in the end, she was completely correct and the movie comes down like a ton of bricks on him. In fact, he gets off fairly light all things considered.

Also, generally speaking, the resistance should be based on the former army of the whatever, New Republic or whatever they're calling it in the new trilogy, so they should be more professional than the original Rebellion. They aren't, because the new movies are obsessed with visually referencing the original trilogy and cribbing notes from it wherever possible.

The problem with the way they set up the conflict between Po (Poe? whatever) and Holdo is that the scenario surrounding it is stupid, so the audience gets confused because the movie is unintentionally sending mixed messages.

Edit: to clarify, the movie makes it really seem like they might actually be hosed and they're not telling people the plan because there is no plan (and no you should not be honest about that because that's how you destroy the morale of an army), but then at the last minute pulls out a "solution" from a hat and thus the preceding drama surrounding the lack of a plan is nonsensical.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 13, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bakeneko posted:

Her decision also causes a mutiny because everyone else also thinks there's no plan. There's also no larger resistance movement to betray or whatever, because it's been made abundantly clear that the people on that ship are IT.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Bakeneko posted:

Even without this, the absolute second everyone realizes "They're tracking us through hyperspace". SOP is done, you're in an existential crisis; :decorum: and hard hierarchy ain't saving you.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Playstation 4 posted:

Even without this, the absolute second everyone realizes "They're tracking us through hyperspace". SOP is done, you're in an existential crisis; :decorum: and hard hierarchy ain't saving you.

I mean the core problem with the chase plot is "why didn't they just FTL a ship immediately into the bad guy ship if that was always the back up plan?"

Or alternatively "why did they forgot that was a thing they could do until the most dramatic last possible moment?"

The answer is because the movie wanted to have its cake of "the drama of 'is there a plan or not? I don't think there can be we might be hosed'" and then eat it by presenting a previously unmentioned solution nobody has clearly remembered existed until Holdo does it.

The narrative is built on a house of cards and it stinks of bullshit because it is bullshit. Which is a shame because the FTL scene is really pretty.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

The Resistance is explicitly not an army and is basically a bunch of volunteers that grouped together to try and act as a counterbalance to the First Order. There's no way an incipient government like the New Republic was going to let Leia and co. go around the galaxy forming an extrajudicial armed force.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Max Wilco posted:

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/NJ4K1/status/984648820624572416

Larry winning Channel Awesome is the only genuine joy that can come from this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean the core problem with the chase plot is "why didn't they just FTL a ship immediately into the bad guy ship if that was always the back up plan?"

Or alternatively "why did they forgot that was a thing they could do until the most dramatic last possible moment?"

The answer is because the movie wanted to have its cake of "the drama of 'is there a plan or not? I don't think there can be we might be hosed'" and then eat it by presenting a previously unmentioned solution nobody has clearly remembered existed until Holdo does it.

The narrative is built on a house of cards and it stinks of bullshit because it is bullshit. Which is a shame because the FTL scene is really pretty.

Yes, why wouldn't they destroy their only capital ship left so casually? :thunk:.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The lightspeed scene was never the plan. It was a quick, spur of the moment, there is no other choice thing.

The whole plan was to sneak out of there undetected while the First Order is focused on the main ship. I mean, I don't think the film is flawless, although I think a lot of the issues are way over blown or just misunderstood. But I will say the film might've worked better if the plan was stated, but Poe still found issues with it and did what he did.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Vanderdeath posted:

The Resistance is explicitly not an army and is basically a bunch of volunteers that grouped together to try and act as a counterbalance to the First Order. There's no way an incipient government like the New Republic was going to let Leia and co. go around the galaxy forming an extrajudicial armed force.

Are you implying the Resistance was already a thing before the New Republic fell? That doesn't make sense. Did the New Republic not have a standing army? Did the Rebellion just never disband after forming a regular government?

Of course not, these are silly questions. The answer is that they wanted to reuse the Rebellion aesthetic and visual style in a different context because nostalgia.

Any kind of resistance as organized as presented in these movies is going to have a military hierarchy anyway, that's why the characters explicitly have ranks and Po's actions are explicitly framed as a mutiny, i.e. a rebellion against established military order.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, why wouldn't they destroy their only capital ship left so casually? :thunk:.

Given the circumstances they're in this isn't an unreasonable decision, imo. They unironically could and should've done it much sooner. They had other ships to evacuate people to before the big dumb chase sequence and they could've safely jumped away.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

CelticPredator posted:

The lightspeed scene was never the plan. It was a quick, spur of the moment, there is no other choice thing.

The whole plan was to sneak out of there undetected while the First Order is focused on the main ship. I mean, I don't think the film is flawless, although I think a lot of the issues are way over blown or just misunderstood. But I will say the film might've worked better if the plan was stated, but Poe still found issues with it and did what he did.

Yeah ysee, that would work, because as it is the script paints the character as 150% willing to go along the moment it's uttered.

If he'd kept hemming and bitching it would solve a lot.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Playstation 4 posted:

Yeah ysee, that would work, because as it is the script paints the character as 150% willing to go along the moment it's uttered.

If he'd kept hemming and bitching it would solve a lot.

Yes, let's have all the characters know everything and do everything right with no mistakes or opportunities for character growth.

There's a plan.
Execute plan.
Win.

Beep boop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It would be interesting to see him gently caress up the plan due to his arrogance and his need to fight.

I loving love "Don't fight what you hate, fight for what you love". That owns and is really cool.