Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Warren posted:

In an attempt to not hurt my soul further, do you guys have any recommendation for old Computer styled youtubers like Kim and LGR? I watched the ZX Specturm homebrew video from Kim and have gone down a wonky little rabbit hole into PAL computers and I have a desperate need to watch more things like the two of them.

The 8-bit Guy is pretty good. He reviews and restores a lot of old systems, and has done several small documentaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
I will definitely check out the 8-Bit guy. The original fascination was from LGR's hardware video's but as with Mel, after watching the ZX Spectrum videos and finding out this entire computer world I never heard of I just really wanna find out more about it. It's just fascinating to check out, especially things like the Amiga series of computers and entire Operating Systems I've never heard of or touched.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean all I know about you is that I made a total of 3 posts in the thread and you were already trying to bite my head off so I am not exactly surprised someone thought you took things too seriously

I was in the top 10 posters in the previous thread, and you were being an rear end in a top hat. You still are.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

lornekates posted:

I was in the top 10 posters in the previous thread, and you were being an rear end in a top hat. You still are.

I am slowly learning that the people in this thread are generally more empathetic to the people being discussed in this thread that the subforums I am used to (i.e. wrestling and football). I get that I have to learn how to better mesh into the culture here if I want to continue posting, but a mod and top 10 poster attacking a newcomer for not understanding the unstated "decorum" of a thread is a excessive and frankly a little alienating

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I’m sorry to hear that Lorne. :( Your really cool and I hope you do stick around.

Internet Personality + Review Thread: The Internet was a mistake.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thought you were a good mod, Lorne. I hope that without you this place doesn’t turn into those episodes of MASH after McLean Stevenson quit but before the Dragnet guy showed up.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There's always the Spectrum Show!

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am slowly learning that the people in this thread are generally more empathetic to the people being discussed in this thread that the subforums I am used to (i.e. wrestling and football). I get that I have to learn how to better mesh into the culture here if I want to continue posting, but a mod and top 10 poster attacking a newcomer for not understanding the unstated "decorum" of a thread is a excessive and frankly a little alienating

If you felt alienated because you couldn't be an rear end in a top hat, then maybe the thread isn't for you.

For reference, one of your first posts out of nowhere, after the doc dropped, and it explicitly said "The victims don't want themselves or the abuser identified", and the thread collectively said "we are going to respect their wishes", you come strolling along and do this:

I let you off with a warning, even though you were trolling for information that was asked to be left alone *AND* accusing an innocent person of being a rapist. Not banning you my mistake. Because you obviously didn't learn anything from that because now you're all:

You are an rear end in a top hat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

you fools are missing the real problem with The Last Jedi

There is no reason why it should matter if the capital ship was running out of fuel because in the vacuum of space there is no friction to slow inertia. The chase should have gone on forever.

While I fully agree with you on your point (I thought the same thing), I think just for sake of argument you could just wave it off as they're burning fuel running the ship's systems as well.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

In memoriam for CA you better have a framing skit or two where you badly cosplay characters from the game. Also point a gun at a console (with a wig on it) you don't like and pretend to shoot it in a hilarious skit.

Now I'm picturing some sort of weird YouTube "tribute album" to CA; the biggest problem would be a variation of Poe's law; it'd be nearly impossible to distinguish a parody of peak CA cringe from the real thing. So who's in? :getin:

Also, Down The Rabbit Hole has scheduled a live reading for this evening. At this point I'm kinda loathe to listen to any more of it because frankly, the fallout from the response has taken this far from schadenfreude territory. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y02UX9g0DQE

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-

Kunster posted:

There's always the Spectrum Show!

Most appreciated! Thought his does have the unintended side effect of me going on ebay trying to find a ZX Spectrum.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Augus posted:

I dunno how I feel about purple-haired captain. Like, I didn't dislike her or anything but I also didn't really find any reason to be attached to her. It feels like a weird character to give the most visually-impressive heroic sacrifice in the series. It's like they came up with the lightspeed scene first and then nobody could agree on who should be driving the ship

For the record though, the scenes between Rey and Kylo are some of the best material to come out of Star Wars

Spoiler text edited in for the poster who hadn't seen the movie yet.

Holdo works because you aren't supposed to be attached to her character. She spends the movie being Leia but without the audience familiarity with and trust in Leia, because we would have a harder time distrusting Leia over Poe. Holdo's presence allows Poe to act even more unfiltered than before, which gets him in over his head, and allows us to be with Poe every step of the way until Leia comes in.

Also the day/night cycle, which someone brought up, I just assumed was a factor of "these planets have different rotations."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Spoiler text edited in for the poster who hadn't seen the movie yet.

Additional spoiler text for the poster who hasn't seen the movie yet

whats wrong with you go see Star Wars

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lornekates posted:

Been waiting for a lull in the CA traumadrama to post.

So a certain admin, FactsAreUseless, has decided to demod me. This was out of nowhere, and without any consultation with me, or with any other admin. The only reason I got is that I was being "too professional", and enforcing rules. The only way I can read this is that someone didn't like their probe, and complained to their admin friend. Just my feeling. (FYI: it wasn't anyone in this thread. Y'all are cool and I love you).

This, needless to say, hurts quite a bit. I've been wanting to participate more in the recent discussion, but I'm a bit heartbroken. Being perfectly honest, I don't know if I'll do any more than lurk. On the other hand, I'll sleep on that for the weekend. If I do go away, please be not-assholes to each other.

Any discussion I've had with other mods or admins seems to boil down to "no one but FAU seems to have decided this, so nothing we can do". So if you want any more information about what happened, or reinstatement, that's something you'll need to discuss with the admin of your choice.

Given that RDG basically only has 6 threads of note, and only 2 of them produce mod reports, I'm completely baffled as to how anyone can think too much time is spent on mod reports for a particular thread. It's-- literally just statistics.

Anyways, I'll try not to rant too much. Continue on the discussion.

My contribution (if it's my last): Diamanda Hagan just dropped a review of Chirpy 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6-CH750yqY If you don't know what Chripy is, Google her original review of it.

It's about a horse loving a bird. yup.

And FWIW, I just became a top-tier Patreon of hers, so sometime in the future there'll be a ep-by-ep TV series review of my choice, and a possible cameo.

baba booey

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t think laser swords would work like that either. How would they know when to stop coming out of the handle?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

business hammocks posted:

I don’t think laser swords would work like that either. How would they know when to stop coming out of the handle?

the force, duh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A new BOTW and a new Report of the Week food review? What a lucky Friday the 13th!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I keep hoping they go back to wheel of the worst and hit Strong Kids, Safe Kids.

Me and my friends in high school used to smoke weed and watch that video, its amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7QGjIMv7bU

Behold, a dude who looks disturbingly like noted pedophile Pete Townshend singing a song about genitals to children

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 13, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

stillvisions posted:

In memoriam for CA you better have a framing skit or two where you badly cosplay characters from the game. Also point a gun at a console (with a wig on it) you don't like and pretend to shoot it in a hilarious skit.

Hellllloooo I'm the bad games critic, I LP it so you don't have to!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Leal posted:

Hellllloooo I'm the bad games critic, I LP it so you don't have to!

Would it be too inappropriate to have a crate of wailing and tormented souls labelled "contributors"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Additional spoiler text for the poster who hasn't seen the movie yet

whats wrong with you go see Star Wars

I don't give money to the Disney entertainment conglomerate. gently caress Disney.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

I don't give money to the Disney entertainment conglomerate. gently caress Disney.

That's just why you haven't watched it legally.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Dude, I'm basically crossposting through the entire forum and never had to "learn to better mesh with the culture"

Face it and own it, you're an rear end in a top hat :colbert:

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Here's some content to be buried under Star Wars talk, I did a video on "The Wish Giver" by Bill Brittain, where I discuss why somebody might write a monkey paw story for children.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Is Mudkiper BotL's alt?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

tbh this subforum, and espescially this thread, doesn't deserve a mod

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Junpei Hyde posted:

tbh this subforum, and espescially this thread, doesn't deserve a mod

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FoldableHuman posted:

Is Mudkiper BotL's alt?

you flatter me

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

FoldableHuman posted:

Is Mudkiper BotL's alt?

Too few mentions of "ascetics"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Honestly everyone just needs to use the ignore button way more liberally.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FoldableHuman posted:

Is Mudkiper BotL's alt?

I wish

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Lots of content creators post in this thread and we like to have them around and value their input. Reveling in their misery and being a jerk is a good way to piss them off and make them leave. So don't do that. They get enough poo poo on twitter they don't need it coming from us.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
if you don't assume you're just allowed to act like a dick all the time you won't ever have to apologize for that assumption.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"Don't be an rear end in a top hat" is pretty basic decorum for anywhere.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Looks like an rear end in a top hat is taking advantage of the lack of mods in the CA forums and is posting some truly awful things.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Free LorneKates.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfneJVfrtHg

Good Bad or Bad Bad talks about the films of Shihyun Wang, a goddamn auteur imo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So going off twitter, you may want to avoid the CA forums.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It seems Brad did not leave the site yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
I can imagine it’s a real poo poo-show over there. Are there ANY mods left who can deal with it?

I’m assuming it’s the usual litany of victim-blaming and threats. Gross.