Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Gray loves walking terrible hitters to set up big innings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

Once hicks has his legs back and is playing center, it really is going to open things up for the yankees. The more they can alternate Stanton/Judge DH/RF the less they have to give them days off.

Also explaining the importance of getting to the ballpark early to my girlfriend is very difficult!

I had this experience for my first visit to the game. she saw all the crowds of people we had to deal with coming out compared to the breeze we had walking in and she agrees she likes coming early. more time to ogle exhibits in the stadium too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

Gray loves walking terrible hitters to set up big innings.

I don't understand why he refuses to throw strikes in a Yankee uniform. I thought it was some acclimation poo poo last year and he didn't give up too many runs but jfc.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

lol

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Wade looks terrible. Looks like he’s a AAAA player at best.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Carlosologist posted:

I dunno where everyone's gotten the idea that Gray can't go deep into games; he's gone six or more innings in 90 of his 124 career starts, are those last six starts he made really more indicative of who he is now than before? let's be serious people!

I’m not happy about it, but I feel vindicated with Gray failing to get past 3 innings today.

Also “Sonny Gray” is currently the #3 trending topic on Twitter.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It’s not ideal that they had such a good win last night and come out looking completely dead tonight.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

It’s not ideal that they had such a good win last night and come out looking completely dead tonight.

Just a totally listless team most of the time so far.

Also Gleyber is 100% coming up for Monday's game.

EDIT: Oh poo poo some life!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 13, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Parker Lewis posted:

I’m not happy about it, but I feel vindicated with Gray failing to get past 3 innings today.

Also “Sonny Gray” is currently the #3 trending topic on Twitter.

I'm kind of starting to wonder if Gray has some sort of mechanical issue that's affecting his command. i've watched some of his Oakland starts and even when he was hurt and bad in 2016 he still had a much better sense of the zone. his stuff is good but it is all over the place.

another thing to watch as the season develops

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cone was trying to push the idea that its a mental thing where he's still used to playing for Oakland where he never got run support so he tries to be too perfect and overthink everything and need to just learn to trust he'll get some run support and chill out.

I have no idea if that is actual sensible pitcher psychology or is just pitcher magic mumbo jumbo. Then again I'm not sure there's a difference between those two things.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think in this case it makes sense, like Cone’s always been good at blending his knowledge of analytics with his experience as a player. So to me it seems credible if only because all the other boxes that help inform us of what’s wrong with a player aren’t readily evident (Stuff is still good, not obviously injured, mechanics seem the same)

I will continue to cape for Gray tho

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Is anyone at all confident about the starting pitchers on this team? Every single one of them is a question mark.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I trust Severino and Tanaka. Honestly Gray is the guy who concerns me the most right now.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Watching Gray completely unable to throw strikes last night was rough. There was some dude who sounded like blackout drunk Barney Franky who yelled "SONNY GAY SUCKED" after every ball and I heard it so much

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Inspector_666 posted:

I trust Severino and Tanaka. Honestly Gray is the guy who concerns me the most right now.

I feel comfortable saying Montgomery is the 3rd best starter on the team, or at the least the 3rd least cringe inducing

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Gumby does have stretches where he can't find the plate and he labors hard. but he's young so I expect him to figure that out

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

Cone was trying to push the idea that its a mental thing where he's still used to playing for Oakland where he never got run support so he tries to be too perfect and overthink everything and need to just learn to trust he'll get some run support and chill out.

I have no idea if that is actual sensible pitcher psychology or is just pitcher magic mumbo jumbo. Then again I'm not sure there's a difference between those two things.

I don't necessarily buy that because it's not like Gray pitched this way in Oakland. His FIP, SIERA, FIP-, etc all went the wrong way by a pretty big jump in 2017 when he came to the Yankees. The trade wasn't for a guy who could shine with a change of scenery and was under-performing on a bad team.

Carlosologist posted:

Gumby does have stretches where he can't find the plate and he labors hard. but he's young so I expect him to figure that out

He's also a guy who never had bad walk numbers in the minors.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Welp, looks like Cashman hugged prospects a little too hard in his pursuit of Cole. Good luck finding pitchers anywhere near his potential in the next three years. Also holy hell is Betances bad.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

Welp, looks like Cashman hugged prospects a little too hard in his pursuit of Cole. Good luck finding pitchers anywhere near his potential in the next three years.

I get where you're at here, but I have a hard time building up too much regret over trades that weren't. It takes two to tango and we don't know what the actual ask was.

Plus in Cole's case, they've somehow managed to increase his spin rate in Houston. Who knows if the Yankees would have been able to unlock this type of performance.

(I wanted Cole anyway, but honestly I never thought he would change to be this good.)

(Also if I was another Pirates starter right now I would be looking so loving askance at the pitching coaches right now.)

ihatepants posted:

Also holy hell is Betances bad.

I'm almost heartened that at least he can throw his FB for a strike this year, even if it's way too hittable. That seems theoretically easier to fix than his inability to even throw it at the plate last year?

Also I don't have a problem with how long Boone left him in tonight, honestly. It's how/when he uses him next time that will be the illustrative thing.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 14, 2018

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

ihatepants posted:

Welp, looks like Cashman hugged prospects a little too hard in his pursuit of Cole. Good luck finding pitchers anywhere near his potential in the next three years. Also holy hell is Betances bad.

Watching Gray’s start yesterday and then seeing Cole strike out 14 in 7 innings today :negative:

Hindsight is 20/20 and all but the Astros struck gold with Verlander last season and now Cole this year while the Yankees rotation is looking.. not too good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

Relax a little on Cole... They yankees also have the ammo to go out and get the best available pitcher at the deadline too.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Relax a little on Cole... They yankees also have the ammo to go out and get the best available pitcher at the deadline too.

The problem is that pretty much every pitcher I would even want on the Yankees are already on playoff caliber teams or on teams that would absolutely refuse to deal with the Yankees (unless it’s extremely lopsided) because they’re in the same division. I would be absolutely stunned if they got someone that is actually elite (or even very good) during the deadline. Get ready for Jaime Garcia part 2.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think the odds of adding someone at the deadline are pretty decent, if only because the race still hasn’t clearly developed yet. Since more teams are trying to tank for prospects and MLB is fine with it, I expect players to be available sooner rather than later

The second wild card totally killed the trade deadline, they should have moved it back two weeks to compensate

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Flexed to 7pm.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I thought they also canceled the 7 pm game

Too many unscheduled off days, our boys are being thrown off and can’t get into rhythm yet

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Gray will be fine although I, like everyone, hate watching him pitch. I wish they would have just claimed Verlander and eaten his salary. More than I really wanted to keep Kaprielian.

Freaking out after two weeks is stupid. Betances may indeed be broken but even that's early, I'm not particularly worried about the team. But I think there's a decent chance Boston might be really good this year.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Until Betances proves otherwise I think he is who he is. Someone capable of brilliance but also prone to the long ball and breakdowns with runners and control. It means you can't count on him as one of the top arms in your pen and need to have a short leash when you use him in high leverage situations. That sucks but luckily the Yankees have the arms to make him like the best 4th or 5th arm in the pen in MLB.

Until Gray proves otherwise I also think he is who he is. Which is basically a good 4/acceptable 3. Which I can live with. Obviously it makes the rotation less that shut down but that's what it was last season and what it was this season and it was clear the Yankees made the choice that there wasn't anyone available at the right price or the right level to secure that to be worth it. Which in hindsight we can feel bad about Verlander and maybe we will about Cole but I think it was a reasonable decision at the time. And the Yankees will likely have the means to make a move mid season if in they're in the position and need for help there and someone is available.

Yeah, I just kind of hate the "live and die" by every week/game aspect of some baseball fandom ("cubs posting"). Its why I love baseball more than football or other sports. Because you really do have to live and die each week in football. And a bad 2 week run in hockey or basketball could seriously tank your season. But in MLB its all a little diminished so while these games count and its possible losing some of these games will hurt at the end of the season, no one kills their season in April playing .500 ball. So you don't have to lose you poo poo over a bad series or lose hope in the season. Yankees aren't playing great right now. Maybe its the weather. Maybe its the schedule. Maybe its bad luck. Maybe its deeper. 148 games left to find out.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

Until Betances proves otherwise I think he is who he is. Someone capable of brilliance but also prone to the long ball and breakdowns with runners and control.

I think people made way too big of a deal about the baserunners and it totally hosed up his head. It he goes back to 39 K% and <.200 BAA it doesn't really matter if a dude can take second on him.

Not that it's just a switch that Dellin needs to flick or anything, but the SBs only matter so much because everything else got so hosed up. (Again, Syndergaard is loving terrible at holding runners too. You can survive as a pitcher if that's the only glaring breakdown in your game.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maybe but it basically just makes his margin for error smaller since giving up another single means blowing the game.

I mean, I think its safe to say that Betances' "problem" isn't really a single problem and is just a bunch of things that on their own could be fine but when grouped together become a potential for disaster. Which is why I think he's far too valuable to write off or reduce to a long man. But he's gotta have a really tight leash until he proves otherwise.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I totally agree with that. I just think people are focused on his inability to hold runners when that's a secondary or even tertiary issue, really.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Gray will be fine although I, like everyone, hate watching him pitch. I wish they would have just claimed Verlander and eaten his salary. More than I really wanted to keep Kaprielian.

Freaking out after two weeks is stupid. Betances may indeed be broken but even that's early, I'm not particularly worried about the team. But I think there's a decent chance Boston might be really good this year.

Boston has had a hilariously easy schedule and has like 5 players playing way over their heads. They will come back to earth.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Torres was just pulled out of the game in the fifth inning and I am praying he isn't injured.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

Torres was just pulled out of the game in the fifth inning and I am praying he isn't injured.

He must be. No way they would bring him up 2 days before the service deadline.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/RobertMurrayFRS/status/986055826346577920?s=20

edit:
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/986056271341195265?s=20

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 17, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Can the Yankees play Miami like, every game this season?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Me: Oh poo poo we scored 12 runs I bet Giancarlo busted out in a big way!

Me 12 seconds later: Oh.

Is Gleyber coming up for sure once the service time issue is sorted out? I've been out of the loop for like 3 weeks, has he been playing well in the minors? Is the idea to put him at second so people can move to third and get Andujar back to the minors?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'd like Torres to take over 2B and send Wade back down.

Also in 42 PAs in AAA this season Gleybaby is hitting .385/.405/.564, and he hit .309/.406/.457 there in 96 PAs last season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its a safe bet Torres will probably be up soon. And with Drury's head issues coming to light I think Andujar's probably safe to find time to find his groove.

Judge, Sanchez, Hicks, and Didi all seem like they're going good.

And if there's one guy on the Yankee roster I'm not terribly worried has suddenly gotten bad at baseball its Giancarlo Stanton.

The pitching staff is my only real question and I'm willing to cross my fingers that they'll settle in as the weather warms up.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Is Judge really a true talent .320/.440/.600 hitter? Because holy poo poo is he so out of this world

Bubble wrap that man every offseason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Carlosologist posted:

Is Judge really a true talent .320/.440/.600 hitter? Because holy poo poo is he so out of this world

Bubble wrap that man every offseason

No.

.280/.400/.550 probably, which is more than good enough.

• Locked thread