Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just an FYI to everyone: Amazon has now dropped the price of the Acer Predator XB271HU to £549.98, the lowest it has ever been. Was scared I'd missed out on an awesome deal, but for some reason, other retailers have dropped their prices and Amazon has followed suit to stay competitive.

The i7-8700k is also a few bucks away from being the lowest it has ever been. I'd buy it, but I need a new mobo and RAM, and I'm waiting for RAM prices to drop sometime towards the end of this year.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Q8ee posted:

Just an FYI to everyone: Amazon has now dropped the price of the Acer Predator XB271HU to £549.98, the lowest it has ever been.

I paid £550 for that monitor nearly 2 years ago :shrug:

Creativeforce56
May 26, 2016
Quick question. Texting from my S9+ in a foreign language results in ???? on the iphone user reciever. Thanks in advance!

Edit:
Trump lover title? Nice!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Creativeforce56 posted:

Quick question. Texting from my S9+ in a foreign language results in ???? on the iphone user reciever. Thanks in advance!

Edit:
Trump lover title? Nice!

It’s probably not sending Unicode because android is hilariously stupid

Creativeforce56
May 26, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It’s probably not sending Unicode because android is hilariously stupid

Thank you. Is it the software install on my end? I got the top one from the store.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

repiv posted:

I paid £550 for that monitor nearly 2 years ago :shrug:

Yeah, it's not a huge discount, but tightarses like me appreciate any discount. The price has been sitting around the £600 mark for the past few months, with a weird 3 month stint where it was closer to £700 for some reason.

How are you enjoying your monitor two years on? I'm really excited for mine to arrive.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Q8ee posted:

How are you enjoying your monitor two years on? I'm really excited for mine to arrive.

It's still great :)

I did have some weird discoloration develop in the panel after a while but Acer replaced it no questions asked, their UK RMA service seems to be better than what I've heard of their US service.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Been wanting to go dual monitor setup for years, but never had the cash, and never wanted to half measure the job by buying a crappy monitor. Really can't wait, Wednesday is going to be a good day.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Xpost from part picking thread. I’m building my pc right now and have a ab 350m mobo. When installing my ram, should I use the two slots closest or furthest away from the cpu, or does it not matter?

Tia

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

numerrik posted:

Xpost from part picking thread. I’m building my pc right now and have a ab 350m mobo. When installing my ram, should I use the two slots closest or furthest away from the cpu, or does it not matter?

Tia

There's a lot of different AB 350M motherboards because asrock and gigabyte both use the name and have different models. Check the manual, it should have a ram configuration diagram.

txwdYu
Apr 5, 2018

Statutory Ape posted:

Have you alternated which stick youre trying when you just use one? Do they both work individually ?

Yes, they both work individually, I've run memory test on both, none of them has a problem.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Okay, my T480 issue has recurred and keeps recurring, like 5 or 6 times now. It will crash to a screen with blocks of static, then when turned off and turned back on go into something resembling sleep mode. I have to open the case and reseat the memory for it to work again, and doing that fixes it consistently. I updated the display driver and BIOS and it's still happening. Any final thoughts before I RMA it? The pinhole reset button doesn't work either

Here's a video of both the static screen and the sleep-like cycling

https://streamable.com/vn6bx

https://streamable.com/3vshx

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 10, 2018

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Creativeforce56 posted:

Thank you. Is it the software install on my end? I got the top one from the store.

I would guess, though I honestly am not familiar enough with non-default messengers on android to know for sure

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Received a Asus VG245H yesterday and today it resets, i.e. screen turns off and on quickly, then shows me "ASUS HDMI-1". It still remembers its configurations though. Should I be concerned?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I keep blasting everyone's ears off in Discord, because Windows keeps setting my microphone volume to max whenever I open applications / games. I have no idea why. It's set perfectly, everyone's happy, I'm not rupturing ear drums. But then I'll open a game and people have to let me know I'm way too loud and it's painful for them. It's like Windows keeps resetting my mic volume to 100 which is ridiculously high.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Q8ee posted:

I keep blasting everyone's ears off in Discord, because Windows keeps setting my microphone volume to max whenever I open applications / games. I have no idea why. It's set perfectly, everyone's happy, I'm not rupturing ear drums. But then I'll open a game and people have to let me know I'm way too loud and it's painful for them. It's like Windows keeps resetting my mic volume to 100 which is ridiculously high.

Is there an automatic gain setting enabled somewhere?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

there must be, but I've got no idea where to check to even see it.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Right click the volume icon, hit recording. Highlight your mic in the device list and click configure (or maybe properties?) You'll find your way from there.

FE: wait, when you go to turn it back down how are you doing it?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Right click the volume icon, hit recording. Highlight your mic in the device list and click configure (or maybe properties?) You'll find your way from there.

FE: wait, when you go to turn it back down how are you doing it?

by doing this. applications are hijacking mic volume and I don't know how to prevent it. means I have to keep alt-tabbing on game startup to set it low again.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Then you are not seeing an automatic gain setting, I presume.

E: nvm it's not just discord.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 13, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a PC buying/recommendation thread? I figure there is, but I can't find it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Is there a PC buying/recommendation thread? I figure there is, but I can't find it.

Top Sticky: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409

OP is real out of date, look at the last few pages for ideas.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I recently bought a laptop with a 1050 ti graphics card. It runs nicely when plugged in but it's slower on the battery alone. Is there some setting I'm not seeing that controls graphics power on battery vs plugged in? The specific app I'm experiencing problems with is retroarch. Atari 2600 or NES emulation runs like poo poo on battery power for some reason.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

plape tickler posted:

I recently bought a laptop with a 1050 ti graphics card. It runs nicely when plugged in but it's slower on the battery alone. Is there some setting I'm not seeing that controls graphics power on battery vs plugged in? The specific app I'm experiencing problems with is retroarch. Atari 2600 or NES emulation runs like poo poo on battery power for some reason.

It's likely using the integrated graphics when on battery power instead of the GPU.
You should be able to force the GPU for specific apps. Here's a how-to for Autodesk but you can change it to whatever program you are using
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...InfraWorks.html

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

plape tickler posted:

Emulation of old consoles is much more likely to depend on CPU performance than the GPU. Likely your laptop has some power saving modes set. I've haven't messed around with Windows 10 power modes myself, but it looks like you can access the general setting from the battery icon in the notification center, or set throttling on a per-application basis.

FCKGW posted:

It's likely using the integrated graphics when on battery power instead of the GPU.
You should be able to force the GPU for specific apps. Here's a how-to for Autodesk but you can change it to whatever program you are using
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...InfraWorks.html

Even integrated graphics should be sufficient for NES emulation, though I suppose that might depend on how many fancy scaling options you've set.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 19, 2018

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks, I tried the usual settings in power management. Turned out to be "battery boost" in the geforce experience killing retroarch performance. Didn't realize there was a setting in that mostly useless program for the battery.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Are there any difference between a USB3.0/USB 3.1 gen 1 compatible cable and one for USB 3.1 gen 2? All of the articles I've managed to google just talk about usb-c, but I'm wondering about type-a. I've ordered a couple of 1m extension cables that are listed as USB3.0 and I'm wondering what if the same cables would support 3.1gen2 should I eventually end up with a gen 2 device to pair with the two gen2 type-a ports on the back of my pc.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I bought 2x8GB 1866 DDR3 RAM at the end of last year to upgrade from a 2x4GB 1600 set that I’ve had since 2011. Is it worth it to try to sell the older sticks, or should I just plug em back in and run 24GB (it would all run at 1600, right?), despite not doing anything that would ever require that much memory? Is the resale value of 7-year old RAM worth it?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

plape tickler posted:

Thanks, I tried the usual settings in power management. Turned out to be "battery boost" in the geforce experience killing retroarch performance. Didn't realize there was a setting in that mostly useless program for the battery.

Just realize that using discrete graphics instead of integrated when your laptop isn't plugged in to the wall will drain the battery a lot faster.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
So I benched a new computer I built, and it seems like the RAM preformed poorly:

I have done zero tuning so far, so my question is: could this be explained due to said lack of tuning, or is it because I bought a relatively cheap motherboard (GA-AB350M-Gaming 3-CF)?

(Or could it be that I just got unlucky?)

Thanks!

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Your RAM is running at 2133 instead of 3200. You'll need to head into the BIOS/UEFI and either select an X.M.P. profile or set the timings manually.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Actuarial Fables posted:

Your RAM is running at 2133 instead of 3200. You'll need to head into the BIOS/UEFI and either select an X.M.P. profile or set the timings manually.
Oh hey! Thank you so much :toot:

The only other thing is apparently my SSD is apparently unusually slow, but I really doubt it matters that much

vvvvv Userbenchmark

crime weed fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 26, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

what benchmark is that?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yikes??

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Qubee posted:

Yikes??

Your ram is running at 1333 instead of 1600. Not sure about the other ones but I wouldn't worry too much about benchmarks if it's doing what you want. You can also overclock nvidia cards pretty safely with MSI afterburner if you want to.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

My cousin just dropped my new (non-SSD) hard drive that just came into the mail.

Is there anything I can do besides run CrystalDiskInfo to know if it's not hosed? Because if so I can send it back right now.

Here are the results, by the way, but I can't understand what anything means:

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 27, 2018

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mystic Stylez posted:

My cousin just dropped my new (non-SSD) hard drive that just came into the mail.

Is there anything I can do besides run CrystalDiskInfo to know if it's not hosed? Because if so I can send it back right now.

Here are the results, by the way, but I can't understand what anything means:

Was it still in the protective packaging when it got dropped? If so, it's probably less abuse than what it suffered on the way to your house.
CDI screenshot looks fine.

This is probably the only time where having Windows run a full disk check could help. If it finishes that and no warnings pop up in CDI after (be sure to refresh it), it's probably fine.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Geemer posted:

This is probably the only time where having Windows run a full disk check could help. If it finishes that and no warnings pop up in CDI after (be sure to refresh it), it's probably fine.

How would I do that? I dunno if what you are talking about is just running chkdsk in the cmd.

Speed results:

Thanks for your help!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I’ve dropped a lot of hard drives in my day, and as long as they weren’t powered on at the time they’re generally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mystic Stylez posted:

How would I do that? I dunno if what you are talking about is just running chkdsk in the cmd.

Yeah, chkdsk /r from an administrator command prompt.