Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

syscall girl posted:

Eh, I fixed mine and I'm not super coordinated or very bright really
Buy contact cleaner. Spray it at the switch. You just fixed it no matter who you are.

That this isn't common advice blows my mind. I was having logitech G100s have double clicking issues after 1-2 months of use at one point, and contact cleaner fixed it for me. And mice I sprayed it on never had the issue again, not even a year later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Contact cleaner can work but opening up the mouse is a pain in the rear end. I don't want to gently caress up the Teflon feet.

My Deathadder that I used for way too long years and years ago would have intermittent double clicking issues that I just sort of ignored until it went away, annoying but manageable. Eventually the wheel started having issues where scrolling down would leave me further up the page than I started and that's when I finally got a new mouse.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
$6 for replacement feet

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'd still rather just buy a new mouse and have it running in a minute than spend a couple hours carefully disassembling and reassembling and hoping I didn't make a careless error along the way. :shrug: I'm sure it gets easier with practice but mouse failure is infrequent enough that I don't mind using it as an opportunity to upgrade and shelving the old one for emergency use or setting up new machines.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Audax posted:

$6 for replacement feet

If i don't drop my MX Performance pro to death I may bite the bullet on these. With them half falling off it sticks on fabric

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Audax posted:

$6 for replacement feet

Just bought new feet to replace those on my G403, and they're wonderful. Really revitalizes a worn mouse.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

isndl posted:

Contact cleaner can work but opening up the mouse is a pain in the rear end. I don't want to gently caress up the Teflon feet.

My Deathadder that I used for way too long years and years ago would have intermittent double clicking issues that I just sort of ignored until it went away, annoying but manageable. Eventually the wheel started having issues where scrolling down would leave me further up the page than I started and that's when I finally got a new mouse.
Depending on the mouse and feet, you can just jam a screwdriver straight through them with no ill effect beyond a cosmetic hole. Feel around for the dip where the screw is. It reduces surface area slightly, but it feels identical while using it and won't snag or anything. Trust me, I have mouse autism.

It beats the hell out of having to deal with putting feet back on. Usually good for the logitech mice with big feet. Not good for mice manufacturers that cheap out and give poo poo plastic feet (cm, probably others). But uh, the CM feet also don't really go back on well so you're screwed either way there and will want replacement feet.

I usually just do my own feet because corepad's prices are insane. You could buy 100 of your own feet for the price of 2 sets from corepad, and dealing with the raw material isn't that annoying. A lot of times with replacement feet you gotta go through the same hassle of pressing down on the edges with a metal object anyway. Which is the entire annoying part of doing it yourself in my opinion.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 4, 2018

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Khorne posted:

You could buy 100 of your own feet for the price of 2 sets from corepad

But then I have a lifetime supply of useless Teflon. It'll take me a decade to go through two sets anyway; why deal with cutting the mats to size myself?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

But then I have a lifetime supply of useless Teflon. It'll take me a decade to go through two sets anyway; why deal with cutting the mats to size myself?

Slip and slide for ants?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

MeKeV posted:

I got a Contour Unimouse off ebay a week or two a go. Have been using it full time since, predominantly in CAD software.

I've found a very comfortable position, which is actually in full vertical adjustment.

It doesnt feel expensive in any way, it's really light weight and basic plastics all over. But all the functional aspects are solid i.e theres no movement in the hinges and adjustments once you set them in position (though maybe there might be after time and wear)

BUT, the sensor seems a little twitchy. I think an element of that is I'm mousing at a slightly different angle, so my muscle memory is out a bit. But I dont think the sensor is as good a quality as I'm used to with the 10 year old Logitech G5 than I'm coming from. It's not severe, but it's enough to make wonder whether I'll stick with it long term.

The confusing thing is the Mouse itself has a DPI/Sensor adjustment, 10 increments. And the driver also has "Cursor Sensitivity Control" with 11 increments. I cant really figure out which way round to set them!

Does anyone know whats really happening here with these, on devices sensitivity and driver sensitivity? Blindly experimenting hasn't really thought me anything.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

MeKeV posted:

Does anyone know whats really happening here with these, on devices sensitivity and driver sensitivity? Blindly experimenting hasn't really thought me anything.
Not having used the software you're referring to: the 11 tick is probably the same as the windows mouse sensitivity setting, which if you don't already have strong opinions about you should leave exactly at the middle setting. You can verify this by seeing if changing that slider affects the Windows Pointer Speed slider in Mouse Properties > Pointer Options.

The DPI adjustment is fine to mess with to however you like, assuming they didn't put non-native resolutions in the increments. Low DPI makes finer-grained motions easier, but sweeping across the whole screen becomes hard.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

My logitech G400s is finally kicking the bucket. I loved this mouse. It was pretty much perfect.

What are the consensus best optical, corded mice options these days?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

pmchem posted:

My logitech G400s is finally kicking the bucket. I loved this mouse. It was pretty much perfect.

G502 is the spiritual successor imo but I haven't tried a million options, I just used that body of mouse for 10 years

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

pmchem posted:

G502 is what you want

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I went from MX518 (several of them over about 7 years) to Rival to G502 and the G502 is the proper successor I'm pretty sure. Ignore the stupid batmobile aesthetic and feel it in your hand, you'll agree. I like three weights in the back and one in front, but play around, see how you like it.
What did you prefer about the G502? I've been using a Rival for a couple years and pretty happy with it except for a slight wheel issue (I used 518s for years too). Just hate how nerdy the G502 looks but might have to try it out finally.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Spyde posted:

What did you prefer about the G502? I've been using a Rival for a couple years and pretty happy with it except for a slight wheel issue (I used 518s for years too). Just hate how nerdy the G502 looks but might have to try it out finally.

I can't really say exactly what it is - the weird aesthetic of the G502 is throwing off my ability to estimate dimensions. I had a Rival for a few years too, and it sort of satisfied, but I hated how the G502 looked. I bit the bullet when I found it on sale and needed a new mouse, and now I split my time between a CST L-Trac and G502.

Buy one from Best Buy; if you don't like it, you can return it, and they'll price match Amazon as long as it's sold by Amazon. Most other online stores, too.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Some ones to consider: Roccat Kone Pure line, Mionix Castor (slightly smaller imo), Logitech G402 (can be found for $25-30), Logitech G403/G603/G703 line. I've also had a good experience going for an ambi shape that fills the palm i.e. Nixeus Revel. I've used all of these in one way shape or form and while they can't beat the 518 I think they're all decent mice.

Haven't used a G502 though since I had a G402 at the time and didn't see the need.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
Forgot to mention I have big rear end hands which was probably partially why the Rival appealed to me when I got it. I'm not sure that's something that matters as much as I think though because even with this mouse I can't really palm it. As suggested, I'll probably try a G502 from Best Buy and see if I like it/can justify it.

The Roccat Kone looks like it would be a good fit too but never used any of their products. Don't find ambidextrous mice as comfortable usually but maybe that's just because I'm so used to this style.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Does anyone know if there's a way (natively or 3rd party) to make Windows 10 recognize more than 5 unique mouse buttons? I'd like to have the extra buttons on my G602 recognized as mouse 6, mouse 7, etc, when I set up bindings in games if that is possible.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

internet celebrity posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way (natively or 3rd party) to make Windows 10 recognize more than 5 unique mouse buttons? I'd like to have the extra buttons on my G602 recognized as mouse 6, mouse 7, etc, when I set up bindings in games if that is possible.

Install the Logitech Gaming Software. Allows you to map all the buttons on the mouse to just about whatever you wish.

What I did with my G700 is bound the side buttons to Alt+ a number, and set the profile to only activate in the game. Back in Windows they go to no binding/default (back and forward).

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

internet celebrity posted:

Windows does not permit this. I've been requesting it periodically for close to 15 years now. It is unlikely they will change their minds. Creating keystroke macros in LGS is the only way to make this happen.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Yeah I did more research after posting and found a lot of people in the autohotkey community griping about it. I ended up binding everything over 5 to its corresponding numpad key for the time being. At least the numbers are consistent between the G buttons and the keystrokes so that'll help a bit.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I specifically liked Corsair Utility Engine because i could bind buttons to F13-F24 to avoid collisions.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I ended up going with the G403 to replace my G400s, after it was recommended on another forum I frequent. It arrived today and really does feel like the spiritual successor to the G400s. Similar form factor, button layout, etc. Much improved scroll wheel design. If for some reason I don't dig it in a week I'll try the G502, but...

I love it so far!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

pmchem posted:

I ended up going with the G403 to replace my G400s, after it was recommended on another forum I frequent. It arrived today and really does feel like the spiritual successor to the G400s. Similar form factor, button layout, etc. Much improved scroll wheel design. If for some reason I don't dig it in a week I'll try the G502, but...

I love it so far!

The G403 reminds me more of the Deathadder, honestly. I know that the MX518 shape basically is what Razer was attempting to improve with the DA, but this feels like the same thing in the other direction, ending up one more step removed from the 500/518/400/etc shape. This is very subjective, but that's why I landed on the 502 instead of the 403. Both are great mice though!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Goo, I have a feature request! Can your next G502 equivalent have a removable and replaceable USB cable? It seriously has been the only point of failure of my Logitech mice for the last 10ish years and I'd love to just buy a cable rather than a whole mouse.

Somewhat related, I finally bought 3 additional G502s before they leave manufacturing and go from $50~ to $250.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Any recommendations for an inexpensive wireless (bluetooth or dongle) IntelliMouse/DethAdder-shaped mouse? I need one for my HTPC because the little logitech thing I have drives me crazy (it's too small) and not sure I want to shell out $70+ for the Mamba...

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I want a good wireless gaming mouse with a lot of buttons and the Logitech G602 is only $35 on Amazon. Yes or no?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just bought a Kensington Expert and a Logitech MX Ergo Plus and I can't decide which one I love more. Trackball supremacy.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I went ahead and ordered a G602 and it should be coming today. I wanted a wireless gaming mouse with a lot of buttons so it's easier for me to play Fortnite certain games.

Edit: I got my G602 and I'm really liking it so far. How it feels in my hand reminds me of my old MX1000 that I had years ago.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 13, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Corsair Glaive RGB went on sale for $50 a few days ago so I finally pulled the trigger in it. I really like it!

It's normally $70 and has been dropping to $60 frequently.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Bought the Logitech G440 mouse pad to replace my ancient Icemat. It's kind of hard for glass to wear out but people complain about hearing it on voice and I'm not sure the rough surface is actually helping me at all.

I was thinking about the Corsair MM600 but it is ugly and expensive.

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!
Are there any other mice that have the tactile clicky action of the G502's wheel? I'd get a G502 but I'm not crazy about the way the wheel is loose and rattles around.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pottsdam posted:

Are there any other mice that have the tactile clicky action of the G502's wheel? I'd get a G502 but I'm not crazy about the way the wheel is loose and rattles around.
The wheel being “loose” isn’t actually a problem, just something to complain about.

I say that as someone who got an RMA for it. It’s all in your head.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Just wondering a couple things. I'll preface my questions by saying I have a Rival 300 and really like it.

(1) I'd like to know if anyone has tried the newer TrueMove3 sensor, and how it compares to something like the 3310?
(2) Specifically if anyone has used both the Rival 300 and 310, how do they compare?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
MOUSEPAD TRIP REPORT

Logitech G440
Hard pad, polypropylene, polystyrene core and rubber backing
$25

Surprising no-one it's a solid, firm pad of medium thickness. It's described as low friction and it really achieves that compared to a cloth pad but it has a rough feeling that I wasn't fond of. It's also noisy with my G502 mouse.
I didn't hate it but the surface feel was not what I'm after.

Asus Whetsone
Cloth with silicone backing
$39.99

Medium thickness, not floppy like a cloth pad but rolls up. Slightly smaller than the Logitech pads but with a difference in texture due to the raised pattern. The pattern gives you feedback as you move the mouse so the lower friction compared to the G240 is countered by the feeling of the ridges.
This has a really nice premium feel but begs the question, why the gently caress would you make a textured mousepad as your only option? Is there really a market for a bumpy pad? This would be lower friction than the G240 but I don't know . If they made this with a smooth surface it could be a winner.
Price is excessive for a cloth mousepad but it claims to be spill resistant and easy to wash.

Logitech G240
Cloth with rubber backing
$20

Slim, cloth pad. The only thing to really talk about is how slim it is and how good the surface is. The lack of depth works against it giving no cushioning to your wrist and there's no reinforcement to the edges, with such a thin mat I think it's going to fray and wear at the edges over time.
Make it 3mm deep and I wouldn't have much to complain about.

In the end the G240 wins out due to the surface. I can live with the lack of depth. I would be interested in trying the Corsair cloth pads but I'm already wasting money returning two pads.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 22, 2018

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

nesamdoom posted:

Just wondering a couple things. I'll preface my questions by saying I have a Rival 300 and really like it.

(1) I'd like to know if anyone has tried the newer TrueMove3 sensor, and how it compares to something like the 3310?
(2) Specifically if anyone has used both the Rival 300 and 310, how do they compare?

I never had a rival 300 but I do have a 310 now and I am super pleased with it. I used to have a death adder elite but I can’t imagine going back to it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

What do you guys use to keep your mice clean? I've been trying to remember to wash my hands before heavy PC usage, but of course I start to see spots from my fingers after a week.

I want to keep this one as clean as possible. Are alcohol wipes good or too harsh?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

DizzyBum posted:

Are alcohol wipes good or too harsh?

I believe that there are a few reports of alcohol literally melting away some of the padding of mice. I can't confirm first hand, but I'd be careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I believe that there are a few reports of alcohol literally melting away some of the padding of mice. I can't confirm first hand, but I'd be careful.

prob fine on hard plastic, best to avoid on soft-touch surfaces i'd say

DizzyBum posted:

What do you guys use to keep your mice clean? I've been trying to remember to wash my hands before heavy PC usage, but of course I start to see spots from my fingers after a week.

I want to keep this one as clean as possible. Are alcohol wipes good or too harsh?

just wipe it with soapy water or somet