Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big boi
Jun 11, 2007

How dare you discuss stats which are unflattering to Jokic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
KAT being in the mix on a lot of plays but not really super effective at affecting shots matches the eye test.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

I think what you are trying to say is Joel Embiid for DPOY.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Pau had a low-key good year for a 37 year old

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Hey Dokmo, I keep being an idiot and have forgotten to payup on my bet yet

I'll get it done this weekend, assuming I don't die of trivia related madness

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/984839719648464897

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

pubic works project posted:

Yikes. Just reminded myself of the Batum contract. I mean, I wouldn't mind him on my team (especially since he always lights us up), but not at $24 - $27 mil.

Ah another "this deal isn't that bad because the cap just went up so it's not as much as it sounds" deal that ends up being bad

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Ah another "this deal isn't that bad because the cap just went up so it's not as much as it sounds" deal that ends up being bad

Actually, its good because that's just how much you had to pay Batum to sign him that year.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Is Meeks on the active roster? I haven't watched many Wizards games

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/984841260593709057?s=21

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I was against trading for Batum in the first place — even though it cost them basically nothing — because it wasn't hard to this exact sequence of events coming. The market still forced their hand, though. I don't know that they'd be significantly better off without him.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/984841260593709057

Wiz are a cursed franchise

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

I don't remember how batum was the season before but if he didn't turn to poo poo the contract isn't bad

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jodie Meeks is still in the league

huh

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jabari gone. Welcome to Sacramento!
https://twitter.com/mkebballhour/status/984574940086185989

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

morestuff posted:

I was against trading for Batum in the first place — even though it cost them basically nothing — because it wasn't hard to this exact sequence of events coming. The market still forced their hand, though. I don't know that they'd be significantly better off without him.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/984841260593709057

Wiz are a cursed franchise

That explains the Ty Lawson signing yesterday.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/UziVerd/status/984273595105988610?s=19

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

I don't remember how batum was the season before but if he didn't turn to poo poo the contract isn't bad

Yeah, 20% of your cap for good-Batum is ok. Not good, but not bad either. But he signed before the 2016-17 season and just never got back to that early Portland level. I don't think he's been healthy for years.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

He was playing hurt this year, but last season mostly seemed like an effort thing

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
It hurts my brain to see Adams hitting these shots even in an open gym. One day I hope tries in-game
https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/984853329065971712?s=09

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hmmm. Looks like after 2 blockbuster trades for Paul George and over-the-hill-Melo, the Thunder's record improved by...... 1 game. :thunk:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mr. Mambold posted:

Hmmm. Looks like after 2 blockbuster trades for Paul George and over-the-hill-Melo, the Thunder's record improved by...... 1 game. :thunk:

MVP.... MVP.... KISS THE TRIPLE DOUBLES

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

MVP.... MVP.... KISS THE TRIPLE DOUBLES

But unironically

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

Yeah, 20% of your cap for good-Batum is ok. Not good, but not bad either. But he signed before the 2016-17 season and just never got back to that early Portland level. I don't think he's been healthy for years.

Dinged up and varying levels of effort are part of Batum's MO, it was a concern when they first traded for him, so the "it was a good deal except that" arguments never held water with me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Dinged up and varying levels of effort are part of Batum's MO, it was a concern when they first traded for him, so the "it was a good deal except that" arguments never held water with me.

Those are risks you take, right? Batum has had several seasons where 20% of the cap would be a good deal, but you have the caveat of injury (and effort I guess, but I'm not sure that thats not just a dude playing hurt). Sometimes those deals become Steph Curry, more often they fail. But with a finite pool of players to draw from you have to start taking risks.

I'm not defending the Batum contract specifically, but fans in general and this board in particular is starting to get into the "Every Contract Is Bad" mode that makes discussing contracts pointless. Its a finite pool of players competing in a market with finite resources, you need to take risks or else congrats on the perpetual 30 win seasons, at least you are winning the imaginary game of contract value.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The bigger issue with the Hornets is that their draft pick sucks as even as a back-up big

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

Those are risks you take, right? Batum has had several seasons where 20% of the cap would be a good deal, but you have the caveat of injury (and effort I guess, but I'm not sure that thats not just a dude playing hurt). Sometimes those deals become Steph Curry, more often they fail. But with a finite pool of players to draw from you have to start taking risks.

I'm not defending the Batum contract specifically, but fans in general and this board in particular is starting to get into the "Every Contract Is Bad" mode that makes discussing contracts pointless. Its a finite pool of players competing in a market with finite resources, you need to take risks or else congrats on the perpetual 30 win seasons, at least you are winning the imaginary game of contract value.

Or in Charlotte's case continue to be a perpetual 30 win team.

Batum wasn't an unknown quantity when he signed that extension. He signed that when he was 27 and in the league for like 8 years, you knew what you were getting because there was a sufficient track record of it. An oft-injured sometimes lacking effort super utility guy. That's not at all like the Curry gamble and even back then Curry was a way more impactful player than Batum was at his peak.

A bad deal is a bad deal and people here are just rubberbanding from the "every contract is actually good because of the cap spike" mindset that was just as pointless

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I want to see a Westbrook/Wiggins/Batum/Melo/Dwight superteam of pure frustration

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Tae posted:

The bigger issue with the Hornets is that their draft pick sucks as even as a back-up big

Yeah, seven lotto picks became one All-Star in Kemba and two decent role-players in Zeller + MKG. Monk is TBD but will always be overshadowed by Mitchell. Any one of their whiffs goes the other way and they're fine.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Boredumb posted:

Pau had a low-key good year for a 37 year old

Vindicated

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Lockback you can't make fun of people who think every contract is bad when you think every contract is good

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I want to see a Westbrook/Wiggins/Batum/Melo/Dwight superteam of pure frustration

Switch Batum to sixth man, move Meto to the 3, start Blake

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Metapod posted:

It hurts my brain to see Adams hitting these shots even in an open gym. One day I hope tries in-game
https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/984853329065971712?s=09

Simmons shoots (and makes) 3s in practice too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I5QPoy_DH4
https://twitter.com/jcameratonbcs/status/960914058517020672

It's so frustrating that he doesn't in game

maybe next year

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

morestuff posted:

Yeah, seven lotto picks became one All-Star in Kemba and two decent role-players in Zeller + MKG. Monk is TBD but will always be overshadowed by Mitchell. Any one of their whiffs goes the other way and they're fine.

Yeah. If you're going to have to ask for context in regarding a contract being good or not, you have to go the whole way. Is giving a oft injured and not motivated utility player a huge deal a good idea for a team with a lot of holes and no ability to find talent in the draft or free agency

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lockback you can't make fun of people who think every contract is bad when you think every contract is good

Yeah, if the incoming cap crunch says anything it's that the "no deals are bad with this cap spike" mindset was wrong

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Welcome back to Chicago Jabari

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

that Adams video of him shooting threes makes me wonder if there are other bigs out there that could one day shoot threes. I wonder if there's a way we can kind of predict that, it would be fun. Maybe starting from big FT% and work from there?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

that Adams video of him shooting threes makes me wonder if there are other bigs out there that could one day shoot threes. I wonder if there's a way we can kind of predict that, it would be fun. Maybe starting from big FT% and work from there?

not really what your asking. But Adams shooting unguarded 3s on fresh legs in practice means almost nothing, and certainly does not mean he will ever shoot them well in game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

I specifically said the Batum contract wasn't good though.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

IcePhoenix posted:

Switch Batum to sixth man, move Meto to the 3, start Blake

Meto World Piece

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Paul Zuvella posted:

not really what your asking. But Adams shooting unguarded 3s on fresh legs in practice means almost nothing, and certainly does not mean he will ever shoot them well in game.

these dudes have spent their entire lives loving around on a basketball court i would be shocked if there was a single player in the nba who couldnt hit 3s during practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Ghost Dog posted:

these dudes have spent their entire lives loving around on a basketball court i would be shocked if there was a single player in the nba who couldnt hit 3s during practice.

DeAndre Jordan?

• Locked thread