Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JaySB posted:

1. Why can't you try the techniques?
2. I use them all the time in gi.

From my limited Korean, they dont allow leg stuff at all at this gym (including kneebars which my last gym back in the US were cool with even for white belts). I don't even see it at the higher up guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Shameless but topical plug:

https://www.wyrdapparel.com

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well now I just have to have that shirt and patch combo.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Shameless but topical plug:

do you have any plans to make a south american ground karate shirt? I'll slip a crisp canadian bill in your pocket for it

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Wangsbig posted:

do you have any plans to make a south american ground karate shirt? I'll slip a crisp canadian bill in your pocket for it

Yeah, I would go in go one of those as well

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

If we're making requests, same but a tank top.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Same but rash guard.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Same same, but also rash guard and spats.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Same but a tuxedo

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

That gym sounds like a garbage fire. The righteous course of action would be to beat her old teammates in competition by throwing them so hard that it leaves a crater.

I been talking about this exact same course of action with my judo club. Since our club got banned from cross training at her old gym for being "too rough", we are going to show her foot sweeps and Osoto Gari, the very things they complained that was hurting their members. Is it spiteful and peity? Hell yes but that is why every other club in Judo NB call us the Cobra Kai of the Province.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

out of all the gnarly poo poo you do to people in judo it was osoto gari that did her in?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
You've got an opponent who probably has no concept of when to concede to a throw, and that continued resistance will only make the eventual throw more devastating. That opponent also practices ukemi rarely and has possibly never been thrown full-speed by a skilled judo player. They've got no muscle memory for tucking their chin. Bells get wrung, feelings get hurt.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

out of all the gnarly poo poo you do to people in judo it was osoto gari that did her in?

Seriously. I find Osoto to be like the nicest fall, whereas Drop Seonagi on the other hand is always rough.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Hey guys I asked this question over in the Martial Arts thread but am hoping maybe Ill find an answer here: Is there a name for the submission whereby I grab my opponent's foot and drive my elbow into their shin? (Its a sure tap from the pain) Typically done if someone takes my back but they done have their hooks in quite properly. I was shown this move from one of the FPJJ black belts who came up to visit from Sao Paulo. I know its kind of a dick move, but so are wrist locks. I managed to use it this morning and was playing around with the timing for catching it but I have no idea the name for it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Defenestrategy posted:

Seriously. I find Osoto to be like the nicest fall, whereas Drop Seonagi on the other hand is always rough.

At top speed Osoto is way way way worse than seoi nage. Anything where people go over straight backwards is bad news for novices with weak breakfalls.

e. but that doesn't make that club not wimps.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Also Osoto has the leg reap that is useful when BJJ fighters are in that common low hunchback position when they are doing standup. Like what CommonShore and ihop said, anyone who gets thrown by Osoto gari at full force, speed and having your weight fall on your opponent is going to have a bad time when they don't know how to breakfall.

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 13, 2018

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Also Osoto has the leg reap that is useful when BJJ fighters are in that common low hunchback position when they are doing standup. Like what CommonShore and ihop said, anyone who gets thrown by Osoto gari at full force, speed and having your weight fall on your opponent is going to have a bad time when they don't know how to breakfall.

Osoto makes your back twist in a way that even breakfalling well it sucks. Love that throw.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

New to the thread (thanks JaySB for pointing me here). Thought I would introduce myself. Blue Belt training out SDBJJ in San Marcos, CA.

Unfunny Poster posted:

From my limited Korean, they dont allow leg stuff at all at this gym (including kneebars which my last gym back in the US were cool with even for white belts). I don't even see it at the higher up guys.

From the US perspective I think that most of everything is now allowed (at least to be learned) starting at the blue belt level.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Hey guys I asked this question over in the Martial Arts thread but am hoping maybe Ill find an answer here: Is there a name for the submission whereby I grab my opponent's foot and drive my elbow into their shin? (Its a sure tap from the pain) Typically done if someone takes my back but they done have their hooks in quite properly. I was shown this move from one of the FPJJ black belts who came up to visit from Sao Paulo. I know its kind of a dick move, but so are wrist locks. I managed to use it this morning and was playing around with the timing for catching it but I have no idea the name for it.
I've never seen anyone use this and I'm a blackbelt that has been doing BJJ for 12 years at one of the biggest gyms in the U.S. I have a hard time imagining tapping from this.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

I've never seen anyone use this and I'm a blackbelt that has been doing BJJ for 12 years at one of the biggest gyms in the U.S. I have a hard time imagining tapping from this.

When that blackbelt performed it on me, I literally could only take a couple seconds of the pain. Its really, really bad. Ill keep trying to find a video of it, its got to exist somewhere.

edit: Found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSSx8QeYh3g

I know, kind of a dick move, but holy poo poo is it effective.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 13, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

When that blackbelt performed it on me, I literally could only take a couple seconds of the pain. Its really, really bad. Ill keep trying to find a video of it, its got to exist somewhere.

I don't mind dick moves. The guy in the video has zero hands protecting his neck and his demonstration partner lets him have both hands free. That would be really hard to get against someone with decent back control.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

That wouldn't even be remotely effective.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

This is magical

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

this looks really stupid and a good way to get neck cranked by your now annoyed training partner

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Wangsbig posted:

this looks really stupid and a good way to get neck cranked by your now annoyed training partner

Kind of like a wristlock!

Here is a video that goes into it a little more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVhJRHQDsyE&t=82s

Interesting because he shows a way to block someone from choking from the back while going for this.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 13, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I saw a catch wrestling version of that shin lock on a guard pass which was much more effective, at least positionally. It was one of those vids with a big hairy dude in a speedo and wrestling shoes. He inside stapled his opponent's thigh when passing and then reached back to shin lock the leg.

It's mechafunkzilla who loves the shin locks, right? Is that the style that you love?

e. outside staple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1VIHciUb5E

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 13, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

As I said in the other thread and I completely agree with Yuns, I can't imagine tapping to that before putting you to sleep.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Just karate chop his feet dude

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

From the US perspective I think that most of everything is now allowed (at least to be learned) starting at the blue belt level.

Right which is where I'm coming from, I was training under George McGinnis in PA (Rogerio Taborda blackbelt) and they were all find with kneebars as a white, heel hooks etc. had to be done at purple. Where as here, as you mentioned it in the MA thread in A/T it being a bit thin of a line for danger, they're totally cool with you going for a wrist lock.

It's a bit of a confusing thing to transition to at first. I'm 6 months in at this school and it still gets me a few times.

As an aside we did our promotions last night and went out for Korean BBQ. The amount of drunk Koreans all trying to talk to me in English at once was pretty comical.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 14, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CommonShore posted:

I saw a catch wrestling version of that shin lock on a guard pass which was much more effective, at least positionally. It was one of those vids with a big hairy dude in a speedo and wrestling shoes. He inside stapled his opponent's thigh when passing and then reached back to shin lock the leg.

It's mechafunkzilla who loves the shin locks, right? Is that the style that you love?

e. outside staple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1VIHciUb5E

Yeah, this is the stuff.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I tapped a guy while I was working a pass using a Shin Lock after talking about it here a few weeks back.

I was 100 pounds heavier and he was a five month white belt but I don't see how that's irrelevant.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I think of myself as a bigger dude most of the time (6'1 180 lbs) but hell, a few new huge guys joined our gym and it's given me perspective. One of the guys is 6'4 230lbs of muscle. It's given me a new perspective/respect for the 5'7 150 lb dudes I spar with.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

This Kasai event has been pretty good

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

JaySB posted:

This Kasai event has been pretty good

Yeah, that was a great event.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Do we have a muay thai thread? It's offered at the gym I do jiu jitsu at (for the same price so I'm doing it just because why not) and I've got some questions.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

spacetoaster posted:

Do we have a muay thai thread? It's offered at the gym I do jiu jitsu at (for the same price so I'm doing it just because why not) and I've got some questions.

there's a catch-all thread in a/t, almost all the people that post here that do ma contribute there and it's a fairly active thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790003

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Marching Powder posted:

there's a catch-all thread in a/t, almost all the people that post here that do ma contribute there and it's a fairly active thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790003

Thank you.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacetoaster posted:

There is not. I asked about starting one about a year ago but was suggested to just use the kickboxing thread here instead. The MA thread seems better overall as it wont be burried amongst 50 WWE rumor threads.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Guess I'll be trying this out tomorrow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kas2W3GmyE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Guess I'll be trying this out tomorrow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kas2W3GmyE

When does his dvd series drop on BJJ Fanatics? You know that poo poo is going to sell fast.