Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I assume it was a budget thing, but I wish they'd played up how ostentatious Mao's ships are. The interiors (at least the guest areas) are largely indistinguishable from something like luxury accommodations for foreign dignitaries on Earth. The exteriors are covered in murals that essentially nobody will see because Mao docks at private stations--like, not his company's, but his stations.

I wasn't a fan of Bobbie's suit getting knocked out so easily. I get that they did it so that the power failure would add tension to the EVA, but it's not the first time they've undercut the strength of the armor.

All that said, it was a great episode, and I look forward to guessing wrong and being surprised as the show continues to diverge from the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Pharmaskittle posted:

The Razorback looked siiiick

it's a loving beauty

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Toast Museum posted:

I assume it was a budget thing, but I wish they'd played up how ostentatious Mao's ships are. The interiors (at least the guest areas) are largely indistinguishable from something like luxury accommodations for foreign dignitaries on Earth. The exteriors are covered in murals that essentially nobody will see because Mao docks at private stations--like, not his company's, but his stations.

I wasn't a fan of Bobbie's suit getting knocked out so easily. I get that they did it so that the power failure would add tension to the EVA, but it's not the first time they've undercut the strength of the armor.

All that said, it was a great episode, and I look forward to guessing wrong and being surprised as the show continues to diverge from the books.

They also did that so they could show off the sick murals and gold plating on the outside of Mao's ship that you mentioned!

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Really glad we finally got to see the full gimbaled crash couches described in the books.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pharmaskittle posted:

The Razorback looked siiiick

Please tell me they arm that loving thing to the gills.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Matt Zerella posted:

Yes? These are two book series I loved so I thought I'd check out the shows and I was not familiar with SyFy being Skinemax in HD.

Then you're either blind or willfully retarded

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Milo and POTUS posted:

Then you're either blind or willfully retarded

Why not both?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I loved season 2 except for the fact it ended so abruptly, I always felt it was missing an episode or two

Last episode felt like the missing one from season 2 for me, and it would have been a much better season 2 finale:

- Sadavir consummates his betrayal by dennouncing Chrisjen to the president
- Chrisjen flees with Bobbie
- Roci crew decides on their new mission
- the war is declared

A perfect moment to end a season, imho

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Agreed. Watched season 2 for a refresher prior to S3 launch. Also, it's the expanse so I'll just go back and watch it periodically anyway. I get the cliffhanger sorta thing they were going for, but it seems like it fell kinda flat.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I loved season 2 except for the fact it ended so abruptly, I always felt it was missing an episode or two

Well, it kinda is! They keep ending the seasons halfway through a book. I guess the way TV works nowadays it's nice to have a big book ending setpiece for the midseason finale, but it means you get season finales in weird spots like the Rocinante crew ripping off Alien while Bobbie and Avasarala are still trapped on Mao's ship.

Also, for book readers: PLEASE don't comment at all when people speculate. I read through some of the last thread between seasons and I could just SEE show-watchers getting pissed off because people couldn't help spilling book knowledge over every comment. If someone asks "Is that the last we see of Miller?" they don't actually want you to tell them "no, Miller shows up as a ghost later because of reasons." And even if that particular person DOES want the spoiler, you're kinda loving over everyone else when you answer that question with a chunk of black text, because now they know there's more to it than "yes, he's dead." I didn't read the books until after season 2, and I was sure I was watching him die forever when they crashed into Venus.

That dude earlier who said "I'm so pissed that Prax hid the protomolecule on the Roci"? That's not something you should be responding to. I was just waiting for someone to post "No, the monster left it. Don't worry about it, it'll just be a minor plot point when they remove it two seasons from now." Just let them speculate! Even offhand comments like "I love the weird TVIV theories" lets everyone know that A: their speculation was way off base and B: there's no point speculating because half the people here know the plot and are just gonna roll their eyes. And I LIKE seeing those weird theories. It'll be fun seeing them eventually figure it out!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They also did that so they could show off the sick murals and gold plating on the outside of Mao's ship that you mentioned!

:doh: I missed the mural. It's definitely fancier than other ships we've seen; the books just gave me the impression that it was more over-the-top (especially inside), and the fact that basically every ship on the show is prettier than the office-building-on-its-side looks described in the books narrows the gap further.

Edit: also, I agree with this:

Phenotype posted:

Also, for book readers: PLEASE don't comment at all when people speculate. I read through some of the last thread between seasons and I could just SEE show-watchers getting pissed off because people couldn't help spilling book knowledge over every comment. If someone asks "Is that the last we see of Miller?" they don't actually want you to tell them "no, Miller shows up as a ghost later because of reasons." And even if that particular person DOES want the spoiler, you're kinda loving over everyone else when you answer that question with a chunk of black text, because now they know there's more to it than "yes, he's dead." I didn't read the books until after season 2, and I was sure I was watching him die forever when they crashed into Venus.

That dude earlier who said "I'm so pissed that Prax hid the protomolecule on the Roci"? That's not something you should be responding to. I was just waiting for someone to post "No, the monster left it. Don't worry about it, it'll just be a minor plot point when they remove it two seasons from now." Just let them speculate! Even offhand comments like "I love the weird TVIV theories" lets everyone know that A: their speculation was way off base and B: there's no point speculating because half the people here know the plot and are just gonna roll their eyes. And I LIKE seeing those weird theories. It'll be fun seeing them eventually figure it out!

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 13, 2018

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

the little racing boat is awesome

draper needs better batteries for her power armor

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Having decided to watch inhale this show after youtube threw a random autoplay of the Canterbury 'battle' at me, and I got 30 seconds into it before deciding to avoid spoilers, I am now mainlining season 3 straight into the veins :dominic: and I've also bought the first book, which I'll read when I get a chance.

The racing boat was rad inside and out, I want one.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

As a person that has put a bunch of hours into elite dangerous, damnit I want that racing ship in the game.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

dog nougat posted:

Agreed. Watched season 2 for a refresher prior to S3 launch. Also, it's the expanse so I'll just go back and watch it periodically anyway. I get the cliffhanger sorta thing they were going for, but it seems like it fell kinda flat.

yeah, but "what happens to chrisjen and bobbie now that they fleeing and chrisjen is wanted as a traitor and the war started?" its cliffhanger too and a better one. I dont think nobody ever though Chrisjen and Bobbie would just die at that ship, from the moment Bobbie puts on the power armor is obvious that they are going to escape.

Is this and in everything, season 2 finale felt like part 1 of a 2 episode finale, except they transfered part 2 to the next season

Phenotype posted:

Well, it kinda is! They keep ending the seasons halfway through a book. I guess the way TV works nowadays it's nice to have a big book ending setpiece for the midseason finale, but it means you get season finales in weird spots like the Rocinante crew ripping off Alien while Bobbie and Avasarala are still trapped on Mao's ship.

Yeah, Ive never read the books, but Ive rewatched season 1 & 2 last month and the ending of season 1 also dont feel like a season finale much. Episode 5 of season 2 is probably where season 1 should have ended

edit: anyway the expanse aint perfect but is still my favorite space political drama and Im so happy is back

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 13, 2018

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I agree with this so hard. Having read all the books to this point.

Phenotype posted:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

These are all good points, but you also kind of just did the very thing you are saying not to do...

Maybe leave it like this so non-book-readers are not tempted with their stupidity:

quote:

Also, for book readers: PLEASE don't comment at all when people speculate. I read through some of the last thread between seasons and I could just SEE show-watchers getting pissed off because people couldn't help spilling book knowledge over every comment. If someone asks "Is that the last we see of Miller?" they don't actually want you to tell them if he's really dead or maybe going to come back. And even if that particular person DOES want a spoiler, you're kinda loving over everyone else when you answer that question with a chunk of black text, because now they know there's more to it. I didn't read the books until after season 2, and I did not expect what happened.

Just let them speculate! Even offhand comments like "I love the weird TVIV theories" lets everyone know that A: their speculation was way off base and B: there's no point speculating because half the people here know the plot and are just gonna roll their eyes. And I LIKE seeing those weird theories. It'll be fun seeing them eventually figure it out!

Also, everyone quoting the wall of black-text makes it much more likely that some dumb-dumb mouses over it, making that idiotic complaint valid!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Elias_Maluco posted:

Last episode felt like the missing one from season 2 for me, and it would have been a much better season 2 finale:

- Sadavir consummates his betrayal by dennouncing Chrisjen to the president
- Chrisjen flees with Bobbie
- Roci crew decides on their new mission
- the war is declared

A perfect moment to end a season, imho

They did this in S2 as well. Juliemolecule and Miller in episode 5 was like S1 finale

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I like the sequence of flyers painted on the side of the Razorback - Icarus, Wright Flyer, Spirit of St. Louis, Boeing 707, Space Shuttle, fictional space plane, Solomon Epstein's yacht, Razorback

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

I like the sequence of flyers painted on the side of the Razorback - Icarus, Wright Flyer, Spirit of St. Louis, Boeing 707, Space Shuttle, fictional space plane, Solomon Epstein's yacht, Razorback

The fictional space plane is Virgin Galactic's thing, I think. Which doesn't really make much sense but it has a more distinctive profile to paint on the side of the spaceship than a Dragon capsule or whatever Blue Origin is building.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Repost from a few pages back

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Can a book reader spoil me with a single-word answer. Do we see Ashur from Spartacus again?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cingulate posted:

Thanks, I tried reading from the start but there was some preseason argument, and then suddenly book spoilers, so I jumped to the newest page and hoped for more judicious spoiler tag usage

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Ego-bot posted:

Can a book reader spoil me with a single-word answer. Do we see Ashur from Spartacus again?

Cotyar played a very minor role in the books, to the point where I honestly don't even remember what happened to him. His role on the show has diverged enough at this point that I don't think anybody could tell you what's going to happen.

I like that Abraham and Franck aren't shy about rewriting the story as they go along to make a more TV-friendly narrative. It means you can enjoy both forms without having to say "the book/show did it better"

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Also, for book readers: PLEASE don't comment at all when people speculate. I read through some of the last thread between seasons and I could just SEE show-watchers getting pissed off because people couldn't help spilling book knowledge over every comment. If someone asks [redacted] And even if that particular person DOES want the spoiler, you're kinda loving over everyone else when you answer that question with a chunk of black text, because [reasons]

That dude earlier who said "I'm so pissed that Prax hid the protomolecule on the Roci"? That's not something you should be responding to. I was just waiting for someone to post [redacted] Just let them speculate! Even offhand comments like "I love the weird TVIV theories" lets everyone know that A: their speculation was way off base and B: there's no point speculating because half the people here know the plot and are just gonna roll their eyes. And I LIKE seeing those weird theories. It'll be fun seeing them eventually figure it out!

I agree with this in principle, but the Prax speculation thing was just so dumb, even from what we saw in the show. I would have reacted exactly the same way without having read the books. The blob was clearly in the hole the creature made, while Prax was sealing up the breach in the exterior door. The idea that Prax had anything to do with it is crazy.

I guess I might have been motivated by the fact that the guy declared that Prax was a scumbag, when Prax is in fact a beautiful innocent plant man. (Not book spoilers. We've seen that in the show already.) If it was more speculative and less declarative it wouldn't have been as worth a comment.

The other thing you mentioned was totally legit and it was annoying last season when people were coy about it.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 13, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm all for mentioning spoilers in spoiler tags, really, at some point it's on you to remember to put the cursor somewhere safe before scrolling down. We oughta have some place to say "They did X much differently in the show, how is that going to affect Y next season?" and this show isn't big enough for a bookreader thread like Game of Thrones. I was really just asking for people not to involve themselves in speculative comments from show-only fans. The Miller stuff was just an example of how you can give a lot away even with spoiler bars when you're responding to people who are just wondering out loud about the show's future.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Rocksicles posted:

Please tell me they arm that loving thing to the gills.

I mean, at that point it's Star Wars or BSG. If small fighter ships were a thing we'd of seen then by now, I think proper military ships only come a bit smaller than the Roci. Probably hard to fit a proper railgun or even missile system on a ship that small.

Now what they should actually have a ton of is smaller drone ships, it seems like a rad that would work in at least a defensive level with pdcs and whatnot, or as a remote kind of landmine where you set up 10-20 of them somewhere and turn them on later to surprise someone and wreck their day. I've always been a sucker for bits in Gundam, so I'd love to see stuff like that.

Based on how well the Roci was able to remote pilot that missile maybe you can just leave those suckers lying around and then activate a bunch as an ambush or surround tactic, that'd be a fun wrinkle to set up a character as a strategic badass. I guess anywhere you'd actually want them set up someone can probably easily see the propellant as you put them there, but maybe you just do it while you're blazing around and traveling. I dunno, I just want to see a good old fashioned Macross-style missile swarm, why not. Maybe with the war on I'll see at least some of my wild space combat dreams come true.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I'm all for mentioning spoilers in spoiler tags, really, at some point it's on you to remember to put the cursor somewhere safe before scrolling down. We oughta have some place to say "They did X much differently in the show, how is that going to affect Y next season?" and this show isn't big enough for a bookreader thread like Game of Thrones. I was really just asking for people not to involve themselves in speculative comments from show-only fans. The Miller stuff was just an example of how you can give a lot away even with spoiler bars when you're responding to people who are just wondering out loud about the show's future.
I mean, this show has a bookreader/spoiler thread.

No one's posted there since the show came back though.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Eiba posted:

I mean, this show has a bookreader/spoiler thread.

No one's posted there since the show came back though.

It's gone pretty far off the page for episode 1, so there isn't much to discuss, yet. :shrug:

Ego-bot posted:

His character was basically a blank in the books, his only purpose being to give Avasarala intel and then fly the Razorback, so his show-character is much more fleshed out and interesting. I don't think it could be speculated what will happen to him.

Cingulate posted:

Yeah, the writers admitted they stole the art from Virgin, so it is an homage to Branson...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, can we take all the black bar stuff to the spoiler thread please? It's what it's there for.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
This may blow your mind, but the black bars are called "spoiler tags". They are called that because they are used to tag spoilers. If you have a mental condition that forces you to compulsively mouse over every one of these tags, maybe the problem is at your end?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

His character was basically a blank in the books, his only purpose being to give Avasarala intel and then fly the Razorback, so his show-character is much more fleshed out and interesting. I don't think it could be speculated what will happen to him.

Yep. Drummer's the other big change at the moment, the show's currently at the end of book two and I don't think Drummer is even in the series until book... five? Maybe three? Definitely not this early.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I just know Drummer is going to be a much bigger part of the show because she's been showing up at all the season 3 public events that the cast have been attending.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Only problem with Drummer this season is she hasn't shot anyone in like an entire episode.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I haven't read the books, but the impression I got was that drummer was a composite of a bunch of Fred's lackeys and the actress killed it so much they're increasing her role?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Only problem with Drummer this season is she hasn't shot anyone in like an entire episode.

:agreed:

I’m still trying to figure out how someone took Prax staring out a hole into freaking space and being triggered to a flashback of almost being killed by the Proto Monster to mean he secreted some bit of of the PM.

Not only did he *weld* those loving plates in place, Amos and Alex were working on pipes behind a *removable* access panel. And the PM was shown to be buried in the bowels of ship buried in pipes and superstructure. There’s no loving way it’s something Prax planted, and I for one will not let you besmirch his good name.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 14, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

I haven't read the books, but the impression I got was that drummer was a composite of a bunch of Fred's lackeys and the actress killed it so much they're increasing her role?

Nah, Drummer is a character in the book. The character in the TV show is different in characterization.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

StashAugustine posted:

Kind of, but it was also an Avasalara/Bobbie thing where they introduced a character early to pad out the cast and give Fred someone to speak with consistently who is on his team. Otherwise Tycho seems like Fred runs the whole station single-handedly.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
tv drummer owns and she deserves more scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

bloom posted:

This may blow your mind, but the black bars are called "spoiler tags". They are called that because they are used to tag spoilers. If you have a mental condition that forces you to compulsively mouse over every one of these tags, maybe the problem is at your end?

It's just a matter of time until some rear end in a top hat quotes a giant black bar post and makes a :airquote:subtle:airquote: joke that gives away the whole topic. Don't pretend like this doesn't happen constantly.