Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

bongwizzard posted:

I want to run a gimmick party using the members of the Wu Tang Clan as my NCPs. So far I have;

RZA (PC) — Chanter/Shattered Pillar Monk
GZA — Chanter/Wizard
ODB/Dirt McGirt — Chanter/Barb
Method Man — Chanter/DrugMonk

But I am suck on my last pick! Small parties suck!

Any suggestions would be appreciated tia.

I've tried a Chanter-Skald/Ranger-Stalker a few times and the synergy is nice.

You're in melee and your pet is close by all the time, so you can load up on the short range defensive auras to benefit both, as well as take advantage of all those Chanter Invocations with the tiny cone range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Scorchy posted:

I've tried a Chanter-Skald/Ranger-Stalker a few times and the synergy is nice.

You're in melee and your pet is close by all the time, so you can load up on the short range defensive auras to benefit both, as well as take advantage of all those Chanter Invocations with the tiny cone range.

Sure, but I still don’t know who to pick and who to leave out. Like, Raekwon had maybe the second best solo album, but Ghostface Killah was a huge part of it. It seems wrong to pick one over the other.

I could do Inspechah Deck as a Chanter/Cipher, but idk.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
U-God/Golden Arms, Chanter/Goldpact Knight.

Monopthalmus posted:

Does anyone have any advice for playing a melee-centric party on PotD?

I find myself always slipping back into a party of two tanks up front grabbing all the engagement and then four ranged damage/cc guys in back. It just seems like by far the easiest way to play since you can exploit choke points most of the game and its often frustrating/impossible to get all your melee dudes on the target. But I'd like to try something different and experiment with classes like monks and barbarians that I haven't before.

I know I can pretty much do whatever I want on hard, but PotD seems to demand a less experimental approach so I'm looking for some advice as to how to have a more melee-centric party this time around.
I've played PotD mostly without acknowledging that choke points or shields exist. The key to that is just lots of CC and offensively built melee characters. My first PotD party was a custom one with a Monk, a Barbarian, a Rogue, a Druid, a Cipher and a Wizard. The Monk was actually a little subpar in that one because, usually, only half the enemies would be capable of doing anything at a given time. If you keep a high enough number of enemies locked down with CC a Barbarian is all the tank you'll ever need. You just need to kill enemies fast enough to make sure you don't run out of CC eventually, but that's not really something that party ever had a problem with.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

bongwizzard posted:

I want to run a gimmick party using the members of the Wu Tang Clan as my NCPs. So far I have;

GZA — Chanter/Wizard

Dr. Octogon - Chanter/Priest

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Airfoil posted:

Dr. Octogon - Chanter/Priest

Kool Keith is more of a sci-fi thing imho.

Ropekid, for your next game please make an isometric turn-based science-fiction crpg with heavy Afrofuturist and sexual overtones tia.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I’ll pledge five figures to get Mr Gerbik as a playable character.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
+1 would buy

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

frajaq posted:

Obsidian that's nice and all but we really want a voiced protagonist too, it breaks my immersion when all my companions are talkative with nice expensive voice actors but my PC is this mute weirdo.

I'm okay with being a mute weirdo, but something that bothered me on this recent replay was how little personality there is to your own character's responses. You get a little bit here and there, mostly in White March, but for the most part I found it difficult to connect to or care about my character when they are incapable of any sort of emotion, almost exclusively communicating by blandly saying either "How can I help? or "I won't help you." Even when you get a larger list of choices that are tied to the tracked personality traits, they still all feel so safe and generic.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

GZA — Chanter/Wizard

I think I need to do Killah Priest -- Chanter/Priest. Although not a Wu member, his verse on 4th Chamber is insane and B.I.B.L.E is a great loving song. Anyone with that much material on the best solo album is welcome in my Wu Tang gimmick party any day.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

wait what do you mean Edér and Aloth are voiced by the same person? what the gently caress?????

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

rope kid posted:

It's extremely rare that anyone brings up non-PC interface questions like, "How would this work on a tablet?" or "How would this work on a console?" and my answer is always, "I don't know or care."

If we develop a game that's intended to be cross-platform, I have no problem entertaining those questions, but Pillars and Deadfire are both being developed for Windows/Mac/Linux, and that's it. I am not willing to compromise any aspect of the game's design for the possibility that maybe someday someone will want to put it on another platform.

Just checked out this thread again for the first time after re-registering my account and lmao.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i've been busy learning pyqt

hopefully out before release

features
-edits giant json files with a neat ui
-not much else

todo
-search crashes a lot probably because its so large and/or i'm bad at pyqte: I was bad at pyqt
-export data in a way that's sustainable in the future (the way mods work you can't set an order, so if you had 3 of these doing separate things only one of them would load. but if you had one file that edited max level, one that edited attack speed, and one that changed xp rate, they wouldn't conflict)
-make a giant list of preset drop boxes for non-numeric entries (eg cast speeds aren't in the data as "slow" "medium" "fast", the actual values are long entries likes 09188oj01l3kj10uf)
-maybe make some presets tick boxes or something for the lazy

mbt fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 14, 2018

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Oasx posted:

They just announced that every line of dialogue in the game will be voiced.

lol this is trill

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mymla posted:

But what if my character is not a pasty white nerd?

That is also a problem in games where the player character is voiced

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

cappadonna, shifter... the verses on winter warz are pure fuckin' beast mode.

was gonna roll as a wael priest/cipher, but now that laura bailey is the voice of xoti, gotta ride with the boss and two of the same class is just balls. guess I can save that character for my dread pirate run though, doin' crime for 'MYSTERIOUS REASONS!!!'

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

jfood posted:

my dread pirate run

every run is a dread pirate run :colbert:

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Having played Dragon "That's what my Qunari sounds like?" Age Inquisition, I'm pretty happy to keep the player character text-only.

jfood posted:

cappadonna, shifter... the verses on winter warz are pure fuckin' beast mode.

was gonna roll as a wael priest/cipher, but now that laura bailey is the voice of xoti, gotta ride with the boss and two of the same class is just balls. guess I can save that character for my dread pirate run though, doin' crime for 'MYSTERIOUS REASONS!!!'

You can make her a single-class monk, right?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

yes

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

rope kid just release the drat game already you're on your like 754th playthrough

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The Crotch posted:

Having played Dragon "That's what my Qunari sounds like?" Age Inquisition, I'm pretty happy to keep the player character text-only.

:same:

Voiced protagonists and fully-customized/blank slate protagonists most often do not mix well.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The Crotch posted:

don't like monks, aside from gun monks

gunner is a ranger only talent

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Crotch posted:

Playing a big Qunari with the British Male voice is hilarious

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Your Parents posted:

Just checked out this thread again for the first time after re-registering my account and lmao.
:confused:

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

thats the last post i was on and now theres gonna be console versions. not saying anything was compromised.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Ravenfood posted:

I'd be interested in playing a game that had some kind of negative progression, preferably one based around constant loss themes. You'd start at a high level with a ton of abilities or whatever, and as you progress through the game you'd have to sacrifice something, either in the form of stats, abilities, items, companions, etc. It'd be a game about mitigating losses and trying to eke out extra power from creative combinations as your overt power slips more and more away. No idea how well that'd actually work in practice (the potential loss of flexibility as you go further in the game seems pretty lovely and would definitely need to be addressed) but it could be neat if someone a lot smarter than me took a crack at it.

There's a really good short story about this, actually.

Levarr Burton read it on his podcast iirc

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You could play the Mummy line of World of Darkness but it doesn’t make a whole ton of sense

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Your Parents posted:

thats the last post i was on and now theres gonna be console versions. not saying anything was compromised.

This is the way to do it imo, just make it for PC first and let someone else figure out if/how to make it run on a tablet.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i've been busy learning pyqt

hopefully out before release

features
-edits giant json files with a neat ui
-not much else

todo
-search crashes a lot probably because its so large and/or i'm bad at pyqte: I was bad at pyqt
-export data in a way that's sustainable in the future (the way mods work you can't set an order, so if you had 3 of these doing separate things only one of them would load. but if you had one file that edited max level, one that edited attack speed, and one that changed xp rate, they wouldn't conflict)
-make a giant list of preset drop boxes for non-numeric entries (eg cast speeds aren't in the data as "slow" "medium" "fast", the actual values are long entries likes 09188oj01l3kj10uf)
-maybe make some presets tick boxes or something for the lazy

Nice! I made some of a mod manager using Electron to handle load order and export merged files, but lost steam doing an editor. (also Electron projects build to 200mb minimum and it feels embarrassing for a mod manager)

I'll just finish the non-editing parts now and put it out there.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
This is a dumb question but will PoE2 be a direct sequel? Should I grit my teeth and finish my play through of the first game if I want to comprehend the second one?

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Monopthalmus posted:

Does anyone have any advice for playing a melee-centric party on PotD?

I find myself always slipping back into a party of two tanks up front grabbing all the engagement and then four ranged damage/cc guys in back. It just seems like by far the easiest way to play since you can exploit choke points most of the game and its often frustrating/impossible to get all your melee dudes on the target. But I'd like to try something different and experiment with classes like monks and barbarians that I haven't before.

I know I can pretty much do whatever I want on hard, but PotD seems to demand a less experimental approach so I'm looking for some advice as to how to have a more melee-centric party this time around.

It's a Baldur's gate sequel, casters are mandatory bud. You can have DPS melee if you want but you always need 1-2 classes, perfectly possible to go two tanks then a full fighter for AOE

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

sunken fleet posted:

This is a dumb question but will PoE2 be a direct sequel? Should I grit my teeth and finish my play through of the first game if I want to comprehend the second one?

Yes but I doubt you will need to have played the first one to understand whats happening. The fact there is the option to import your choices from 1 does mean it will be super obvious its a sequel though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
oh this should be added to the OP:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maybe fix the typo before it’s enshrined!

(Looks great though.)

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

What's the deal with inspirations and afflictions? I've seen them mentioned in the thread.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Subjunctive posted:

(Looks great though.)

Hah!

It's not my chart, just something Maxquest over on the official forums put together.

UrbicaMortis posted:

What's the deal with inspirations and afflictions? I've seen them mentioned in the thread.

see: chart, above

Basically almost all buffs and debuffs are now classed as either "inspirations" or "afflictions." You can cast an inspiration on a stat to cancel out an affliction on the stat and vice-versa.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 14, 2018

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

UrbicaMortis posted:

It's the buff/debuff system in Deadfire.
Someone with more up to date information may correct me, but the important thing is that inspirations & afflictions of the same attribute type cancel each other out. So for example if you have a party member that is Dominated, you can cancel that out with a buff that adds the Smart inspiration. Likewise if an enemy has Energized himself, you can remove that buff by Staggering him.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Feels like Dex inspirations could use a buff. Other than that though I find the rest of them pretty compelling.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Anno posted:

Feels like Dex inspirations could use a buff. Other than that though I find the rest of them pretty compelling.

Yeah, that's pretty much the consensus on the official beta boards currently.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

(Looks great though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bless.

• Locked thread