Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aleph Null posted:

With their budget, Hell will be an abandoned warehouse with flames painted on the walls.

I don't think I've ever seen hell pictured in TV that doesn't look like a bunch of corridors in an industrial warehouse.

Off the top of my head: Hell in Preacher, Hell in Lucifer, at some point Hell in Supernatural was literally a corridor with a long queue. If I gave more thought I could probably list more.

At this point I would honestly take the flames painted on the walls as a bonus.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Elentor posted:

I don't think I've ever seen hell pictured in TV that doesn't look like a bunch of corridors in an industrial warehouse.

Off the top of my head: Hell in Preacher, Hell in Lucifer, at some point Hell in Supernatural was literally a corridor with a long queue. If I gave more thought I could probably list more.

Salem did the proper Biblical Hell -- fire, brimstone, devil and hordes of the damned. That show properly committed to it, and was pretty insane.

Not a standout show in most respects, but it did have gumption.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Elentor posted:

Proper "pits of fire" Hell:
Spawn.
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey. (also has corridors of individual Hells)
Bedazzled.

That's all I've got.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Constantine the movie.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

GreenNight posted:

Constantine the movie.

Which is a decent movie if you pretend it has absolutely nothing to do with Constantine.

Although if you watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeLo3E30A9o you've seen the best scene.
The movie does have a super creepy "that uncle that touched you inappropriately" version of Lucifer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I never knew of Constantine before the movie, so now Keanu is my default.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

Spawn.
Bedazzled.

That's all I've got.

Don't forget about King of the Hill!

Robot Hell looks better than regular Hell does most of the time.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Salem did the proper Biblical Hell -- fire, brimstone, devil and hordes of the damned. That show properly committed to it, and was pretty insane.

Not a standout show in most respects, but it did have gumption.

I didn't know anyone watched that show. The show's quality was inversely proportional to the attractiveness of the cast. That is the cast was really, really, good looking.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bamhand posted:

I didn't know anyone watched that show. The show's quality was inversely proportional to the attractiveness of the cast. That is the cast was really, really, good looking.

It had really good production value and some fun physical effects work.

Okay okay okay. And Lucy Lawless.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Aleph Null posted:

Spawn.
Bedazzled.

That's all I've got.

South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

ashpanash posted:

South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

You know what

You loving know what

I saw that in theaters

And I only just now got the penis reference.

GOD DAMMIT

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CornHolio posted:

You know what

You loving know what

I saw that in theaters

And I only just now got the penis reference.

GOD DAMMIT

Yeah that whole movie was a big gently caress you to the MPAA with barely disguised (or not disguised at all) innuendo and explicit violence.

But still... the title was so blatant. I mean I think their latest game's title, The Fractured, But Whole, is more subtle.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Elentor posted:

Hell is the absence of God, and being trapped in a horrible corridor for eternity is Hell for most people.

But, you know, pop culture things like Santa, The Easter Bunny, Sky Daddy, Pitchfork Demons With Fire Pits sort of work their way into public consciousness on their own.

Aleph Null posted:

Which is a decent movie if you pretend it has absolutely nothing to do with Constantine.

Or if you just chillax for like an hour or so, it's a good movie.

GreenNight posted:

I never knew of Constantine before the movie, so now Keanu is my default.

It's not 100% the original source material, but it's close enough. It's not a travesty like, say, Steel or Catwoman.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

are there any shows/movies where hell was depicted as a frigid, cold-as-gently caress?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

double nine posted:

are there any shows/movies where hell was depicted as a frigid, cold-as-gently caress?

I think there are elements of this in What Dreams May Come, but I don't recall that clearly. I might be thinking of other really Dante-inspired images from the movie, though.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

real life

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

listen, washington isn't that cold, okay?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

double nine posted:

The TV show Lucifer leans this way. It's like a Fritz Lang dystopia with doors off to each persons individual Hell.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Same for Preacher. Preacher's Hell is Terry Gilliam's Brazil via an underground concrete prison/warehouse with individual Hell experiences run by technology that breaks down occasionally and needs to be repaired.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Xealot posted:

I think there are elements of this in What Dreams May Come, but I don't recall that clearly. I might be thinking of other really Dante-inspired images from the movie, though.

Yeah, if you're looking for really ambitious Hell representations What Dreams May Come really goes for it (as well as some very interesting Heaven ideas). Its just really a kind of beautiful and intriguing exploration of the idea of the afterlife. Its not a great movie but its a really pretty one that is like 75% on the artistic design.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

I think it's funny how the movie and the tv show are basically opposites. The movie is pretty decent, but Keanu is in no way, shape, or form John Constantine. While the tv show is pretty rough but Matt Ryan just loving nails the character of John Constantine. I'm glad he gets to be Constantine on Legends of Tomorrow now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gonz posted:

Same for Preacher. Preacher's Hell is Terry Gilliam's Brazil via an underground concrete prison/warehouse with individual Hell experiences run by technology that breaks down occasionally and needs to be repaired.

Is this in the show? I dropped it after I got tired of it just being people with redneck accents being lovely to each other.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A big chunk of S2 is set in Hell. They... address your concern at the end of S1.

I still have no idea what I think of Preacher after two seasons. I guess I enjoy it because I keep watching it?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The thing about Preacher is that a lot of the stories are predicated on Cassidy and Jesse being best friends, but they're lovely to each other from the start and we never see the friendship develop or even them having fun together.

In AoS, we watch the characters become close, so we give a poo poo when things go bad between them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that seems fair. I guess a big part of it is that I can kind of see why Jesse and Tulip put up with each other since they have so much history but I don't really get why Cassidy feels so much loyalty to Jesse when Jesse's just kind of always been an rear end in a top hat since they met.

Still I keep watching and its not like a chore thing or anything. So I guess I'm enjoying it. I think its just weird enough that any time I might tap out something new pops up to make me say "Huh?"

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah that whole movie was a big gently caress you to the MPAA with barely disguised (or not disguised at all) innuendo and explicit violence.

But still... the title was so blatant. I mean I think their latest game's title, The Fractured, But Whole, is more subtle.

I know, I've always got everything else, but it's like that one was too blatant or something.

Almost twenty years later and I'm all "AHHHHH, I GET IT, I SEE WHAT THEY DID THERE!"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

IIRC, in both instances they had a more explicit title (I know the game's was The Butthole of Time,) and talked down to what they released as.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
All this Hell talk and no love for Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Final episode of the season's title revealed: "The End"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CornHolio posted:

I know, I've always got everything else, but it's like that one was too blatant or something.

Almost twenty years later and I'm all "AHHHHH, I GET IT, I SEE WHAT THEY DID THERE!"

I just now put that together.

double nine posted:

In video games, I'm pretty sure Dante's Inferno ultimately ends in a frozen area, the very lowest level of hell. And that is literally all that's coming to mind.

I don't remember a whole lot but wasn't like, satan frozen in ice or something?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 13, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

I just now put that together.

In video games, I'm pretty sure Dante's Inferno ultimately ends in a frozen area, the very lowest level of hell. And that is literally all that's coming to mind.

I don't remember a whole lot but wasn't like, satan frozen in ice or something?

Yeah, and I think its Lucifer not Satan. It's the 9th circle of hell and it's a frozen wasteland and Lucifer is trapped and frozen solid in a lake in the center of the 9th circle, IIRC (It's been ages since I've read a translation of that)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Satan is Hebrew for "Adversary," and is more of a title than a name... in the Book of Job, a Satan tests Job's faith and loyalty to Yahweh, in a story that's supposed to answer the question "why do bad things happen to good people?"

Beelzebub (Ba'al Zebub) translates to "Lord Of Flies," (Ba'al simply means "Lord") and is a Hebrew burn on a rival Philistine god, who they likened to a big pile of poo poo that attracted flies.

Lucifer is a whole other dude that rebelled and was cast out of Heaven.

Modern American Evangelical Christianity sometimes... mixes stuff up. There's no such thing biblically as The Antichrist or The Rapture as seen in popular media. An antichrist is someone against Christ, it's not some Romanian weirdo with a hilarious made up name, and the Rapture is... very different and only mentioned in passing.

Weird, wild stuff.

:eng101:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, weather "The Devil" is a real dude, a fallen angel, an idea, or what is a huge topic of debate in Christianity. The Pope even had some drama the other week splitting hairs over whether Hell was a physical thing or a theological state.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh great, the show is interrupted because loving Trump wants to start a war.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol I caught up for tonight and we're gonna get pre-empted by loving Trump

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

As if I needed another loving reason to hate Trump :argh:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

this is the worst thing Trump has ever done

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I'll... just watch this on Hulu tomorrow, I think. :geno:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh hey they're starting from the beginning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Blegh, no sense in watching now that drat near twenty minutes have passed. When does the show go up on OnDemand?
Welp, I was wrong about that