Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Any goons gonna be at Charleston Race Week?

I'll be there on the red C&C 99, Your Move!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Aluminum is good, but make sure it’s not in direct contact with anything steel. Even if you stay in fresh water.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Aluminum is good, but make sure it’s not in direct contact with anything steel. Even if you stay in fresh water.

NEVERMIND, I'M WRONG

boxen fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 16, 2018

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

FrozenVent posted:

Like stainless steel hardware?

ETA:

boxen posted:

Aluminum against stainless should be fine as I recall, it's non-stainless you don't want in direct contact with aluminum.

Cool if true.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Aluminium is anodic to stainless steel, you'll get galvanic corrosion between stainless and aluminium as well.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Aluminium is anodic to stainless steel, you'll get galvanic corrosion between stainless and aluminium as well.

Yup, I was wrong.

http://www.ssina.com/images/corrosion/galvanic-series.gif

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah. I think I’m still going to go ahead and use aluminum. Seems like it’s widely used for backings and the only hardware that wouldn’t have this problem would be zinc coated, but that would be trading one problem for many.

Plus, like Don Casey points out in This Old Boat that Al corroding will helpfully indicate my bedding is suspect.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Put Tef-Gel on the threads of the bolts, and a dab under the washers. It'll stop the galvanic corrosion and keep the SS hardware from galling. I use it for SS and Ti hardware all the time in seawater.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ya aluminum backing plate is fine, as long as you insulate fasteners with Tefgel/Lanocote. You can also prime and paint the aluminum for extra protection. Only put bedding/sealant on the above-deck hardware, if it gets past that you want it to go all the way through so you don’t rot the deck if cored or get crevice corrosion on SS.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Someone gave the inexperienced "Sail the Caribbean!" couple a new boat for $1. Hopefully they'll spend more time learning to sail before setting out for a multi-day trip again, but they probably won't.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/Couple-whose-dream-boat-sank-gets-a-bigger-better-boat-for-a-buck_165898742

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 7, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Someone gave the inexperienced "Sail the Caribbean!" couple a new boat for $1. Hopefully they'll spend more time learning to sail before setting out for a multi-day trip again, but they probably won't.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/Couple-whose-dream-boat-sank-gets-a-bigger-better-boat-for-a-buck_165898742

'Merica... rewarding stupidity is what we do!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
I’m got a spot on a Catalina 22 pulling sheets in a few regattas this spring. This will be my first time racing.
I’ve got a fair-ish understanding of sail trim and rigging from dicking around in my own ‘22, and we’re not in a spin fleet so there shouldn’t be too many new-to-me moving parts on the boat.

Most of the advice I’ve found by googling has been to bring beer and a good attitude. Anyone have any advice or good resources for noob crewman?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

monsterzero posted:

I’m got a spot on a Catalina 22 pulling sheets in a few regattas this spring. This will be my first time racing.
I’ve got a fair-ish understanding of sail trim and rigging from dicking around in my own ‘22, and we’re not in a spin fleet so there shouldn’t be too many new-to-me moving parts on the boat.

Most of the advice I’ve found by googling has been to bring beer and a good attitude. Anyone have any advice or good resources for noob crewman?

How do I get in on this sort of thing?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Beach Bum posted:

How do I get in on this sort of thing?

Ask around or email your local yacht club. Check sailing forums related to your area.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Dumb luck. There isn’t much of a scene here anymore but my old roommate’s dad had been crewing ‘away’ races on a friend/competitor’s boat. Unfortunately his arthritis is making crewing difficult so he introduced me to the skipper.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

monsterzero posted:

Don't worry if someone is yelling at you to do something, it's hard to hear when things are going crazy so people yell to make sure they're heard.

Also bring beer.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

monsterzero posted:

You're better equipped than most people I throw to the wolves as crew.

if its my boat bring bourbon that's pre-flasked

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

TrueChaos posted:

Don't worry if someone is yelling at you to do something, it's hard to hear when things are going crazy so people yell to make sure they're heard.

Also bring beer.

To be fair, I’m usually the one yelling so this could be a nice change. Nobody I sail with knows the name of anything so there is usually quite a bit of yelling.

Crunchy Black posted:

You're better equipped than most people I throw to the wolves as crew.

if its my boat bring bourbon that's pre-flasked

I may not know poo poo for tactics but I’m going to do my best to make that genny look good.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

monsterzero posted:

To be fair, I’m usually the one yelling so this could be a nice change. Nobody I sail with knows the name of anything so there is usually quite a bit of yelling.

I may not know poo poo for tactics but I’m going to do my best to make that genny look good.

That's why I keep my happy rear end forward of the mast and out of the cockpit.

Anytime we do a custom crew shirt for a particular boat I request this be on the back of mine

First Club Champion Trophy race is today, looking like excellent J24 weather.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 10, 2018

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Crunchy Black posted:

That's why I keep my happy rear end forward of the mast and out of the cockpit.

Anytime we do a custom crew shirt for a particular boat I request this be on the back of mine

First Club Champion Trophy race is today, looking like excellent J24 weather.

That looks pretty light for J24's, it'd be fun if the gusts were the sustained. I'm mid deck on a shark - I fly, launch, and douse the spin, run the genny upwind, and occasionally when we're shorthanded I'll cleat the spin (and pass one of the lines to the skipper to break it in an emergency) and go gybe it myself.

It's fun when it's howling, sustained 25+ knots with the spin up, surfing the waves. We were managing to keep pace with a J95 in 25knt winds who was carrying way too much sail - until the gust hit, and their spin blew out.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

TrueChaos posted:

That looks pretty light for J24's, it'd be fun if the gusts were the sustained. I'm mid deck on a shark - I fly, launch, and douse the spin, run the genny upwind, and occasionally when we're shorthanded I'll cleat the spin (and pass one of the lines to the skipper to break it in an emergency) and go gybe it myself.

It's fun when it's howling, sustained 25+ knots with the spin up, surfing the waves. We were managing to keep pace with a J95 in 25knt winds who was carrying way too much sail - until the gust hit, and their spin blew out.

Oh it is, I was mostly talking about temps. J's get real fun when it starts blowing 25+ (:getin:)

I've got a system down where my pit runs the actual foredeck in light conditions (~5 or less) and I get the beers/run pit and she does pit and I'm forward any time it blows harder. We've got a phenomenal custom built carbon pole (which is class legal now!) so foredeck is just so beyond easy. We had a good day, won our fleet and actually corrected over a few of the slower Melges 24 in 10-12kts over a 2 mile course in 3 races.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
My puddle duck had it's mast stepped last night. An 18' tall mast on a 7'8" boat is quite an impressive sight.

http://realtinker.blogspot.com/2018/03/a-spring-puddle-duck-update.html

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 13, 2018

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Oooooooooooops

How does something like this even happen?

Edit: Direct Youtube Link

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mental Hospitality posted:

Unfortunately that YT video has already been removed, so all we get is that short gif.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Oooooooooooops

Investigation still in progress but I’m betting engine control system failure.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

USS Fitzgerald helmsman's ego was writing checks his body couldn't cash, got busted down to sailing container ships full of rubber dogshit to Karachi.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRmbkQXtxWk

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
How dumb would buying an old Hobie Cat be? Like a Hobie 16. Supply and parts seem plentiful. Seems like older ones with sold hulls go for 1500 and under, and even if new sails were required, that would be less than 1k more, I think.

Would have a place to just leave it and drag it into the water whenever needed.

e: used to sail dinky little sunfish/butterfly boats quite often a real long time ago.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 14, 2018

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

gvibes posted:

How dumb would buying an old Hobie Cat be? Like a Hobie 16. Supply and parts seem plentiful. Seems like older ones with sold hulls go for 1500 and under, and even if new sails were required, that would be less than 1k more, I think.

e: used to sail dinky little sunfish/butterfly boats quite often a real long time ago.

I used to know someone that had an older hobie cat at his cottage, it was a ton of fun getting two to four people together, drag it into the water from its home up off the beach, seeing just how fast we could get it going, hanging off the sides in harnesses, and then intentionally tipping it over in the middle of the lake. I never had to deal with maintenance but AFAIK all he ever did with it was replace the sail once over like 15 years. It was a ton of fun and extremely easy to use.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

I'm going in the morning to lace the tramp on my father in law's Hobie 16 tomorrow. It's an old one, and he spent $200 or so on various bits and bobs a couple years ago, and $200 on a new tramp this year. They're lots of fun, we're all going to try and start teaching my 6 year old nephew to sail.

He keeps it on the beach anchored to a tree at his bay house during the summers, pretty easy for a single person to throw on the sails and go for a ride in short order.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

gvibes posted:

Extremely not - dumb. They're an absurdly fun boat for the money.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've been wanting to get a boat for years now but I just don't have the time (or money) to own a keel boat so the idea of a Hobie Cat or similar small sailboat is becoming more appealing. When I first learned to sail cruising around on a little dinghy was a blast and it's been a few years now that I would love to do that again.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So I'm not a boat guy, but I found this series on Youtube about a couple guys building a 38' wood sailboat from scratch (as in, they even cut the trees down) and it's amazing. I apologize if this has been linked here before, but it seems like something you folks would appreciate.

Here's one of the more interesting videos so far, pouring a lead keel for the boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1cpJBtWnQg

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cool series, hadn't seen it before. That's a life goal of mine, probably not on that scale though.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Got any suggestions for small vehicles that can tow 1500 pounds of boat and trailer? I'm open to new/old. Just got a 68 Boston Whaler and need to figure out a tow solution that is also good for city parking.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Snowy posted:

Got any suggestions for small vehicles that can tow 1500 pounds of boat and trailer? I'm open to new/old. Just got a 68 Boston Whaler and need to figure out a tow solution that is also good for city parking.

Most domestics are rated for 1500lb I think? I know the Ford Focus is, unless it's an ST, in which case it's rated for not towing at all because it has more power! Or maybe because of the center exhaust.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I'd budget for at least 2000 lbs to tow a 13' whaler. You're probably looking at 1000lbs, maybe a bit more for boat, engine, all your gear, etc. Another several hundred for a trailer. You probably aren't going out boating for the day alone, so passengers and the beer cooler.
Also, vehicles rated for towing 1500lbs usually don't take hill starts up a steep launching ramp into account. Working around the water I've seen some hilarious failures with small FWD cars trying to tow boats up a steep wet ramp.

Subarus are pieces of poo poo, so I don't suggest you buy one, but I had a forester that towed my bullseye like a champ. Even with a stickshift it had no problem pulling up a ramp.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

You launching in salt or fresh water? My BMW handled towing my Whaler 15’ but I hated doing it because I didn’t want to give it a salt bath all the time. What I’m saying is get a car you don’t care about if launching in salt.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Big Taint posted:

You launching in salt or fresh water? My BMW handled towing my Whaler 15’ but I hated doing it because I didn’t want to give it a salt bath all the time. What I’m saying is get a car you don’t care about if launching in salt.

If you know what you're doing and the ramp doesn't suck, the only part of the vehicle that gets salty is the back wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

There are more variables at play. Trailer length is a factor, my trailer is relatively short so a lot of it has to go in. Launching is easier because I can just stick the rear end of the boat in and drive it off the trailer.