Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shenmue is the kinda game that lives best in your memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I was going to say why would they bother bringing that to Switch when Shenmue 3 is PC/PS4 exclusive but apparently the Western release of Shenmue 1&2 HD is PC/PS4/Xbone lol

Guy Goodbody posted:

Shenmue is the kinda game that lives best in your memory

I replay it and Shenmue 2 every couple years and really enjoy it.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
That's a shame. I say this sincerely, as a huge fan; the amount of meandering time-wasting poo poo in those games would have been ideal for a handheld console.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Isn't Sega ages their current mobile label :whitewater:

e: ah, no, that's Forever. Still looking forward to the sonic port somehow not being either the whitehead or M2 versions, same for the latter and the other ports
e2: and obviously they can't just c/p the 3D Classics onto the switch, but port/compilation quality going wildly up and down has always bugged me

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 14, 2018

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

DLC Inc posted:

so basically, sega smash pack.

not gonna lie I'd rather have the updated Sega M2 games on Switch or even the GBA enhanced Shining Force instead of the barebones ports we'll likely receive

oh poo poo megadrive mini

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/984970008651444225

Good news it's being done by M2!

https://gematsu.com/2018/04/sega-announces-sega-ages-for-switch

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Not Operator posted:

Seaman Switch.

I hope they make a joycon attachment with a mic

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

oh good, nevermind then lol

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

Shenmue 1 and 2 HD got announced

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Takoluka posted:

Command Mission will appear as DLC for anyone who owns both.

For real?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whoa nice, guess we'll get the cool modified versions after all

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Motto posted:

Isn't Sega ages their current mobile label :whitewater:

e: ah, no, that's Forever. Still looking forward to the sonic port somehow not being either the whitehead or M2 versions, same for the latter and the other ports
e2: and obviously they can't just c/p the 3D Classics onto the switch, but port/compilation quality going wildly up and down has always bugged me

Personally I'm in the "If you want to make a proper upgraded port cool, but if you're just going to slap the rom onto an emulator and sell it...that's cool too" camp

I mean this is the switch thread, it's not like most people here haven't been saying "VC when" for a year and a month already

at least sega seems to know that providing the originals regardless of if they are/aren't in the process of making fully console-specific ports is a good move

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oh poo poo. I’m excited for this now, especially if it’s as hackable as NES/SNES Classics.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SeANMcBAY posted:

Oh poo poo. I’m excited for this now, especially if it’s as hackable as NES/SNES Classics.

That's for Sega Ages that got announced, I have no idea who is working on the Mega Drive Mini.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Comedy answer: it's any one of the random genesis plug n plays sold at a premium off nintendo's mini success

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

You won't know unless you drop those funds!!!!!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

No, even though I'd be ok with that.

As a real big Megaman X fan I want both halves but even I don't really want to pay for X6 and X7. Bleh.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

drat I was hoping for command mission. They could at least their in the Xtreme games

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can see it being Shenmue 1 and 2 HD.

I am a loving prophet.

Shame it isn't on Switch, Ryo's perfect console.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I am a loving prophet.

Shame it isn't on Switch, Ryo's perfect console.

Time to spam Sega everywhere. Worked for the Ages collection so maybe it’ll work with this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I played the phone version of Skies of Fury and the controls were garbage, but the game was really fun despite that. Looks like the controls are good on Switch, so this will be on my list of things to get. Probably next game will be either this or Rogue Aces. I'm gonna see what Giant Bomb thinks of Rogue Aces on Sunday before making a decision.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GreatGreen posted:

Oh hey cool, MegaMan X Collection 1 will have X1 - X4 for $20, and MegaMan X Colleciton 2 will have X5 - X8 for $20.

Thanks for saving me $20, Capcom!

I've only played 1-3, how bad are 5-8, and is X4 still good at least? Never got around to playing them once they went to PSX.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

X4 represents Capcom's unforgivable betrayal of Nintendo

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've only played 1-3, how bad are 5-8, and is X4 still good at least? Never got around to playing them once they went to PSX.

4 is pretty great, 5 is alright, 6 is the most awful trash, 7 is somehow worse in its own unique way and 8 does some stuff well and isn't bad as those but highs don't really make up for the lows.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The first time I played X6, I selected a stage at random and played through until I found a hidden Dr. Light capsule off the beaten path. I got some upgrade and was like hey cool. Then I realized I didn't have the ability required to leave the hidden area and had to commit suicide in a pit to get out.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

What are the odds Shenmue actually is coming to Switch and Nintendo just told Sega to hold off announcing it so they can announce it at E3?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Lobster posted:

What are the odds Shenmue actually is coming to Switch and Nintendo just told Sega to hold off announcing it so they can announce it at E3?

my sources are more reputable than any other journalist's sources, and mine say YES*

*my sources are Jack, poo poo, and my gut feeling

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

DLC Inc posted:

so basically, sega smash pack.

not gonna lie I'd rather have the updated Sega M2 games on Switch or even the GBA enhanced Shining Force instead of the barebones ports we'll likely receive

oh poo poo megadrive mini

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/984970008651444225

Aw yeah. I mean it's no SNES Classic but it will be cool enough.

I'm gonna get one.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've only played a little bit of X4 but I liked it. General opinion is that it's good. Never played 5-8 but they're supposed to be trash.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 14, 2018

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

spit on my clit posted:

my sources are more reputable than any other journalist's sources, and mine say YES*

*my sources are Jack, poo poo, and my gut feeling

Good enough for me! :D

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

X4 is probably my favorite X game.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

The completionist in me says get both Megaman X collections for my collection. The voice of reason says, "You loving dumbass. You literal turdbrain. You cunthead. What are you attempting to do with our money?"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
X4 is cool and good although X's VA is hilariously terrible

which makes the game even more badass imo

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

The Lobster posted:

The completionist in me says get both Megaman X collections for my collection. The voice of reason says, "You loving dumbass. You literal turdbrain. You cunthead. What are you attempting to do with our money?"

yeah i'm a hardcore mega man fan who greedily laps up yearly releases and thinks mega man battle network is friccin' cool

I consider even just experiencing x5 and x6 as a significant misstep in my life, don't let it trick you folks! The games might look like X4 but no they're just poo poo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If Policenaut's theory of Sega sitting on complete Shenmue HD ports is correct, I can see them not realizing they wouldn't have needed to port them to a Nintendo console five years ago. They might be scrambling to get a Switch port going.

Part of my brain forgets that these games are nearly twenty years old and can't wrap my head around the possibility of Switch being able to handle the awesome power of the Dreamcast.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

KingSlime posted:

X4 is cool and good although X's VA is hilariously terrible

which makes the game even more badass imo

Time to get serious!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Detective No. 27 posted:

If Policenaut's theory of Sega sitting on complete Shenmue HD ports is correct, I can see them not realizing they wouldn't have needed to port them to a Nintendo console five years ago. They might be scrambling to get a Switch port going.

Part of my brain forgets that these games are nearly twenty years old and can't wrap my head around the possibility of Switch being able to handle the awesome power of the Dreamcast.

There have been reports/leaks/rumors for years now that Sega's been "sitting on" the Shenmue HD remakes for some time.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/03/16/shenmue-hd-is-finished-claims-report
http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/01/13/shenmue-hd-shenmue-iii-pushed-back/

Maybe they'll come to Switch later? Sega of America/Europe was pretty forthcoming in saying that they were for PC/PS4/Xbox One on top of the big emotional debut with the Sega of Europe guy crying while cosplaying as Ryo for the announcement and I figure if they were immediately Switch-bound then they would have just announced it today. If they're coming I'd bet they're definitely one of those "early next year randomly pops up during a Nindies direct" announcements. They announced a big Switch thing at this same festival, so it's not like they're being coy about Switch support.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Sam Faust posted:

Time to get serious!

but

cannot let it fall into dactah wahweeh's hands

you must recovah all the energy immediately, w-megah man

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
i'm playing kirby star allies and i'm realizing that kirby is lowkey the most batshit franchise.

not like lore wise, but that's crazy too. i mean the games. i never really see people try to do in depth analysis of a kirby game and it's gameplay mechanics. i just typed "Kirby analysis" into youtube and nothing came up.

and that's a shame, because kirby is nuts. it's like dozens of ideas being thrown at the wall constantly with no regard for "principles". it's like straight up hedonism design wise.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 14, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'd really like to play it but for like $30 maybe

Oh well, back to DQ Builders with me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Been playing a ton of Wipeout VR lately and it makes a pretty strong case for the much reviled Blue shell in Mario Kart. Without something comparable, someone has basically won the race half way in. It's such an annoying boost but I see why it's there now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Odd Mutant posted:

i'm playing kirby star allies and i'm realizing that kirby is lowkey the most batshit franchise.

not like lore wise, but that's crazy too. i mean the games. i never really see people try to do in depth analysis of a kirby game and it's gameplay mechanics. i just typed "Kirby analysis" into youtube and nothing came up.

and that's a shame, because kirby is nuts. it's like dozens of ideas being thrown at the wall constantly with no regard for "principles". it's like straight up hedonism design wise.
The Kirby series has taken to the eshop pretty well, with robobot minigames acting as demos for more full fledged eshop games.
HAL did a bunch of kirby spinoffs early in the franchise when it realized it had a hit, but was too cash strapped for more full games.
Kirby star stacker, pinball, golf.

The mario series has been around so long and is so big spinoffs just kinda naturally congeal over time.

Kirby is small enough that its spinoffs stand out.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 14, 2018

• Locked thread