Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Corn. The corn silo scene was awesome, but had an inconsistency that really took me out of the moment. Pre-monster they are drowning in the deep sea of corn, and then after the monster comes, they are standing in it, holding a metal door on top of themselves. It would have made sense if the monster spilled corn out by ripping a hole in the silo, but as far as I can tell it only does that on its way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

[spoiler]It looked to me like they were holding themselves up by the metal door. It’s got a huge surface area, so it’s not going to sink.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Megasabin posted:

Corn. The corn silo scene was awesome, but had an inconsistency that really took me out of the moment. Pre-monster they are drowning in the deep sea of corn, and then after the monster comes, they are standing in it, holding a metal door on top of themselves. It would have made sense if the monster spilled corn out by ripping a hole in the silo, but as far as I can tell it only does that on its way out.

I don't remember them standing, they're laying down a la the T-Rex scene in Jurassic Park.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Pretty drat good until the writing suddenly gets super sloppy and confused and mind-bogglingy absurd.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

“Oh hey I can work with electronics enough to set up a NASA command center but my secret plan is not to remotely wire a noisy device but use pyrotechnics that require me to physically go out and light them”.

And these are hypotheticals- this isn’t even addressing the weird stuff we see them do, like use a GODDAMN TRUCK to go 100 yards.

curlys gold fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 14, 2018

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I like how so much of the discussion around this movie is "how dare they have a child!"

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like how so much of the discussion around this movie is "how dare they have a child!"

It could have been a much, much stronger emotional plot point, like what Cormac McCarthy did in The Road. Felt like a missed opportunity to me.

If you’re already going to go down the path of emotional conflict over whether or not children can be protected, the baby should at least be a source of concern because it represents a big decision.

curlys gold fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 14, 2018

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

All he did was disengage the parking brake on the truck and it rolled downhill. Whether you still think that's a significant plot hole is up to you.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

TOOT BOOT posted:

All he did was disengage the parking brake on the truck and it rolled downhill. Whether you still think that's a significant plot hole is up to you.

But there is no reason to.

Plus, there is no way in hell thats a truck coasting to the house. We see them driving down an extended lane.

curlys gold fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 14, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

curlys gold posted:

But there is no reason to.

to...escape??

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

to...escape??

Yes the truck is quieter than walking, the thing they’ve been doing fine with for the entire running time.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

curlys gold posted:

Yes the truck is quieter than walking, the thing they’ve been doing fine with for the entire running time.

The truck offers a modicum of protection and was clearly being used as a last resort-type option to get back to safety. It’s not that hard to see that.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Braincloud posted:

The truck offers a modicum of protection and was clearly being used as a last resort-type option to get back to safety. It’s not that hard to see that.

But it isn’t a last resort.

And you compromise your safety with each successive sound you make. They lead a sonic trail all the way back home. It isn’t a niggle, it’s a joke that someone would toss out in the writer’s room.

”Ok, dad just sacrificed himself and it’s a sad moment now what.”

“I know! They drive away in a truck! Haha!”

curlys gold fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 14, 2018

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
a tactical place

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Magic Hate Ball posted:

a tactical place

The tactical maneuver of not driving a truck.

It’s a truck.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
the theater is dead quiet except for the sound of goons furiously scribbling calculations in the dark

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Magic Hate Ball posted:

the theater is dead quiet except for the sound of goons furiously scribbling calculations in the dark

This is facetious back-bending to make driving a truck equivalent to rocket science.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

curlys gold posted:

But it isn’t a last resort.

And you compromise your safety with each successive sound you make. They lead a sonic trail all the way back home. It isn’t a niggle, it’s a joke that someone would toss out in the writer’s room.

”Ok, dad just sacrificed himself and it’s a sad moment now what.”

“I know! They drive away in a truck! Haha!”

My goodness sir.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

My goodness sir.

Trucks, visually, are associated with lots of sound. The film goes silent as it shows an overhead shot of them driving. Maybe they thought that if you could hear the rumbling engine and the crackle of wheels it wouldn’t make sense?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

curlys gold posted:

the rumbling engine

It was in neutral, and rolling.

The engine wasn't on.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

GoldStandardConure posted:

The engine wasn't on.

But it’s a flat cornfield.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
no it's not

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

GoldStandardConure posted:

The engine wasn't on.

This.

Seriously, it’s not that hard to comprehend.

It doesn’t matter if the truck could start, it wasn’t there for that. Just think of it as a big, enclosed wagon at the top of a hill they could use to get to the bottom of the hill quickly in an emergency.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Braincloud posted:

This.

Seriously, it’s not that hard to comprehend.

It doesn’t matter if the truck could start, it wasn’t there for that. Just think of it as a big, enclosed wagon at the top of a hill they could use to get to the bottom of the hill quickly in an emergency.

You’re suggesting that they drove a truck to the top of a hill as a planned safety precaution.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Maybe I’m blind as hell because I didn’t see a hill but if everybody else did I’ll shut up.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Or pushed it there just in case, that part is a little more iffy. Like a lot of other things people have pointed out, why the truck is there or how it got there aren't really touched upon in the film. What was addressed was the fact that the engine wasn't on and it was rolling (backwards?) down a hill, there's a shot of the kid pulling the brake handle then they come rolling (backwards?) to the house. AT first it struck me that they had waited in the truck for a bit before pulling the handle because the sky is noticeably lighter when they come rolling home, while mere seconds earlier on screen dad's getting torn into smithereens under a pitch dark sky. That rolling truck would be loud as all hell mind you and in my mind while watching and should have attracted them based on what we saw them do in the film.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 14, 2018

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
^^ Yes, that. The change in night/daytime while the truck is rolling is a legitimate nitpick. Why the truck was there is not.

curlys gold posted:

You’re suggesting that they drove a truck to the top of a hill as a planned safety precaution.

Or it was pushed there from nearby. Or it was already parked there near the tool shed because it’s a farm. Or you can nitpick over a really trivial detail you don’t even remember completely.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 14, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When you're done with this truck tangent, could you remind us why the water in the Earth's atmosphere would kill the aliens in Signs? I'm really in the mood for pendantery.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
me reading this thread

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

me reading this thread

(Screaming internally)

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Detective No. 27 posted:

When you're done with this truck tangent, could you remind us why the water in the Earth's atmosphere would kill the aliens in Signs? I'm really in the mood for pendantery.

It isn’t pedantic if you’re legit blind and dumb and thought the truck was running.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So three trucks are parked in neutral on the edge of a cliff...

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Lt_Tofu posted:

So three trucks are parked in neutral on the edge of a cliff...

Are they numbered 1, 2, and 4?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I had a real good time in the the theater with this. In the deaf scene from the girl's perspective when a monster crashes out of the corn field behind her and she's oblivious, a tiny voice from the audience wailed out "noooooooo", and there was a cathartic chuckle

Real "PUT YOUR 3D GLASSES ON NOW" style fun

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 14, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

curlys gold posted:

Maybe I’m blind as hell because I didn’t see a hill but if everybody else did I’ll shut up.

It's on a hill, which is why you never hear the engine as it rolls down the hill to a stop.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
One of the reasons this film is so good is the way it efficiently establishes its rules and doesn't over explain what's happening. So of course it will attract the dumbest of nitpicks that are missing the point entirely. How these people are able to enjoy any film is beyond me

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I enjoyed the waterlogged room scene with the creature rising up from the water in front of Emily Blunt and her baby. I got the sense it was beckoning to her to offer the child up as a ritual sacrifice or something. Very cool touch with the baby floating in the basket too.

But yeah. It felt like a worse Signs and it didn't really stick with me at all. Also that ending.. after an obligatory shotgun blast to the head the creature lies there convulsing and bleeds out resident evil style. Super funny

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

As someone who doesn't know anything about CIs other than they exist and maybe this is better left for a A/T thread in itself; how do they work exactly? What does the operation entail and does it work for all types of deafness? Are there other types of deafness? Again, I'm an absolute idiot in this regard and I'd love to know more.

I don't have a CI but I know a little bit about them. The cochlea basically exists to convert mechanical vibrations into electrical signals. Sound waves are vibrations in the air; they vibrate the ear drum, which in turn vibrates some tiny little bones, which in turn vibrate a little membrane in the cochlear wall, which vibrates the fluid that fills the cochlea. Embedded within the cochlea are two special membranes--a floor and ceiling, basically. Special cells embedded in the floor membrane are connected to the ceiling membrane by a "hair"-like process; when the membranes flex due to vibrations in the cochlear fluid, the hair gets pulled, opening or closing ion channels in the hair cell wall that affect the cell's electrical potential. The hair cells are connected via the auditory nerve to the brainstem; changes in electrical potential travel along the nerve to the brainstem and then onward to other higher-order auditory processing areas in the brain. The special thing about the floor membrane in the cochlea is that it has a mechanical resonance so that different vibration frequencies preferentially vibrate different parts of the membrane--low frequencies mostly vibrate one end of the floor membrane, and high frequencies the other. So basically you determine sound frequency by where hair cells get stimulated. The rest of the auditory system is organized in a way to maintain this information, so the brain always knows a sound's frequencies by where in the cochlea these electrical signals originated.

The way a CI works is that metal electrodes are surgically placed along this floor membrane so that electrically stimulating them sends electrical signals directly into the auditory nerve. Outside the skull you have a battery, microphone, and computer that processes sounds that determines which electrodes should be stimulated in order to simulate the right hair cells in the right places being stimulated. In general, the more electrodes in the CI, the better, because you have better resolution over where along the cochlea you can stimulate. CIs can treat deafness that arises from problems with the conduction pathway (ear drum, middle ear bones, etc.) or with the hair cells themselves, because the whole point is to bypass this part of the hearing process. They can't treat problems downstream from the cochlea, like degeneration of the auditory nerve, or brain lesions in auditory processing areas.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
One thing about the movie I was unsure of was the signal fire stuff. There's one scene early on in the movie where John Krasinski lights a signal fire and dozens of other fires light up in response. Later on in the movie the children also light a fire but nobody responds--does this suggest that everyone else has fallen victim to the monsters, and this is the last family left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Zoracle Zed posted:

One thing about the movie I was unsure of was the signal fire stuff. There's one scene early on in the movie where John Krasinski lights a signal fire and dozens of other fires light up in response. Later on in the movie the children also light a fire but nobody responds--does this suggest that everyone else has fallen victim to the monsters, and this is the last family left?

That or everyone is cowering in terror