Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Another awesome race, FE continues to deliver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

That was pretty good. gently caress the haters.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

What’re the easiest ways for me to catch a race replay in the US?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It's on FS1 in like 6 minutes actually

Alternately, VPN into Singapore and get it on YouTube from the formula e channel

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Or wait a week for them to put it on the official Youtube.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Holy poo poo that move from Evans in T13

e: jev is the master of the pruett fade

e2: that was a really good race

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 19, 2018

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

quote:

Ten cars roll onto the racetrack and take up their positions at the start. No rumbling engines disturb the silence. The signal turns green. Five cars race clockwise around the track while the other five make their laps in the opposite direction. The electrically powered motors propel the cars to speeds of up to 320 kilometers per hour before they meet at an extremely tight corner halfway round the track. At this point, the two sets of five cars are racing head on toward each other. But the dreaded prospect of a massive pile-up doesn’t materialize. Elegantly dodging each other, the racers avoid collision at breathtaking speeds by mere millimeters. What sounds like utter madness may be a very real possibility for the not-too-distant future. That’s because the race cars are self-driving—no human sits behind the wheel. At least that’s the vision for Roborace in Banbury, a town 120 kilometers northwest of London. Russian businessman Denis Sverdlov established the company with finance from his Kinetik investment fund, which is valued at USD 500 million.

http://www.audi-magazine.com/technology/464-racing-algorithms

Holy moley.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I look forward to the inevitable fiery crash the first time they try this in real life.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So they've finally fixed the two-cars Chinese fire drill nonsense so I guess I can get into Formula-E now.

Although if they keep calling the races "E-Prees" then I may not.

This sounds loving baller. I really love the idea of hyper-efficient perfect racing machines.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

They're absolutely gonna keep calling them e-prees and the fanboost isn't going anywhere either afaik.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Schlesische posted:

They're absolutely gonna keep calling them e-prees and the fanboost isn't going anywhere either afaik.

Fanboost is weird but doesn't turn me off as much as the Chinese fire-drills did. For whatever reason :shrug:

And I guess I can just mute the announcers since they're not great anyways.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think fanboost is at least "ok" because it's not something that has a huge effect and forcing drivers to give a poo poo about the paying customer is not the worst move any motorsport can make.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah I was all against our when I first started watching but the reality is, it's hardly ever used and even more rarely makes a huge difference. The window for using fan boost is so narrow (second car, before 50%) and the energy constraints that the drivers are running to means that they rarely hit the button, and even if they do, the car has to be set up for it before the race, so if you gently caress your quali car, chances are you're driving your fanboost car at the start of the race where it can't be used.
It's still dumb but it's not actively harmful to the racing imo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's a single use push to pass basically.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Rome today, track seems decent. There's even an area where cars are getting almost airborne.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Track is tight as gently caress, people hitting the wall all over the place in quali.

E: Da Costa just rammed Lopez in the pits.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 14, 2018

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
What in the hell is with the shortcut on the grid formation?

Alex Lynn is having one of the worst weekends of any driver I can remember

CactusWeasle fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 14, 2018

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
This track is... Actually good?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ICYMI, Porsche and Mercedes have been officially given a slot in the 2019-20 Formula E season.
That gives us Audi, DS (Peugeot-Citreon), Jaguar, Mahindra, NIO (???), Penske (yep, they're apparently making their own electric drive train) and Venturi (???) as drive train manufacturers, with Nissan taking over Renault’s slot, BMW, Mercedes and Porsche coming in all new by 19-20.

"Season 6" looks pretty tasty lads and ladettes.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Holy lol that pileup

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Poor Felix, that was a great lead battle

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Penske I think will be partnering with Dragon, I've seen Penske EV on the back of their race suits this weekend.

Meanwhile Evans is driving the choo choo train.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

njsykora posted:

Penske I think will be partnering with Dragon, I've seen Penske EV on the back of their race suits this weekend.

Meanwhile Evans is driving the choo choo train.

Penske are Dragon's partner. Andretti is partnering BMW.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
That was awesome

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Fun times at the end there.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
This one needs to happen a few more times, that's a fantastic street circuit, and a great race

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Shoutout to the dude in the crowd who's folded down the fingers on one of those big hands and is giving everyone a giant middle finger.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I thought they were down to 1 car now but looks like they had 2 cars in Rome?

E: Is that for the next season which starts later in the year or something? How do the seasons work in this sport lmao

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 14, 2018

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

E: Is that for the next season which starts later in the year or something? How do the seasons work in this sport lmao

The next season starts in October/November I think, that's when we switch to the new car.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, Formula E runs through the winter, seasons end around July and start again towards the end of the year.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dudley posted:

Yeah, Formula E runs through the winter, seasons end around July and start again towards the end of the year.

Yeah I think I knew that and forgot.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Paris today. Piquet has already crashed 2 cars :allears:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

FE looking to actually turn the racing into Mario Kart (or F-Zero, if you prefer): https://www.autosport.com/fe/news/135645/formula-e-evaluating-mariokart-race-format

loving hell, guys. I know it's just an idea at this point and I understand that they want to spice things up when there are no pit stops, but I don't think boost pads are what the racing needs.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Dangit, Ma

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

FE looking to actually turn the racing into Mario Kart (or F-Zero, if you prefer): https://www.autosport.com/fe/news/135645/formula-e-evaluating-mariokart-race-format

loving hell, guys. I know it's just an idea at this point and I understand that they want to spice things up when there are no pit stops, but I don't think boost pads are what the racing needs.

Yeah boost pads and weirdo shortcut paths would be really strange. That's a dramatic idea, compared to like... why not just copy F1 and have multiple tire compounds and require you to pit at least once if they miss having pit stops?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Slowdown area aside though, this is all stuff that already exists in other series. It's also not stuff FE needs since that stuff is generally introduced as a response to overtaking being too difficult due to aero wake, and the Gen2 car's aero increase is all focused under the car where it doesn't really produce that much wake.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah boost pads and weirdo shortcut paths would be really strange. That's a dramatic idea, compared to like... why not just copy F1 and have multiple tire compounds and require you to pit at least once if they miss having pit stops?

Formula E runs hard as gently caress all weather tires with one set per car per weekend with one spare per set because they don't want to be seen as wasting rubber, be green, etc

Also pushes street tire compound tech further, from the tech transfer angle

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Felipe Massa has signed for Venturi for 3 years :psyduck:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44131389

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Massa's going to clean up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU