Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Trying to follow new people in Twitter with Fenix, I can read all their posts, but the follow button is greyed out. Has this happened to anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I saw the podcast discussion a few pages back and it looks like Podcast Addict is still considered okay for free. Has anyone had the app suddenly start swallowing battery power by the gallon? I literally have it - playing fully downloaded episodes with access to wifi - in my pocket for about 4 hours a day and in the last couple weeks that drains the entire battery from full to about 15% when Battery Saver kicks in. 30 minutes past that the phone powers down, as I found out quite suddenly.

I've already taken the dev's recommendation to switch the style of ads and clear the cache. The suggestion that I pay out for better performance is really rubbing me the wrong way.

EDIT: The dev's FAQ suggesting that I need to pay out is what's bothering me, not the idea of paying for an app in general.

Yak Shaves Dot Com fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 10, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

I saw the podcast discussion a few pages back and it looks like Podcast Addict is still considered okay for free. Has anyone had the app suddenly start swallowing battery power by the gallon? I literally have it - playing fully downloaded episodes with access to wifi - in my pocket for about 4 hours a day and in the last couple weeks that drains the entire battery from full to about 15% when Battery Saver kicks in. 30 minutes past that the phone powers down, as I found out quite suddenly.

I've already taken the dev's recommendation to switch the style of ads and clear the cache. The suggestion that I pay out for better performance is really rubbing me the wrong way.

If you want to try a random different free one, Acast is pretty good. Didn't eat my battery, easy to find and download stuff. Not sure how the podcast distribution system works though, so not sure you will find your fav ones, but it's easy to find out.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
On this topic: if I don't mind paying for a party app is there one that stands out as being exceptionally good? I'm coming from overcast on IOS and I'm using pocket casts now and it doesn't really cut it for me. The way it handles playback just doesn't make sense to me. I download episodes and then close the app and they're gone? It does got the mark with silence clipping and vocal boost though. I also tried podcast addicts and acast but didn't fall in love with either. Any recommendations?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

grvm posted:

I download episodes and then close the app and they're gone?

FWIW, this is not a thing its supposed to be doing...

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm a big fan of Player.FM; they went freemium a while ago but I haven't ever felt like I needed a paid feature. I really like their UX, the model they use for subscriptions and queueing works great if you subscribe to some you don't actually listen to every episode and often dip into episodes of ones you don't want to subscribe to. Drawbacks are it can be a little slow to update new eps and they've been promising premium feed support for a long time but I don't think it does yet.

I'd happily toss them a few Google funbux as a one-time but for some weird reason they went with a monthly subscription model.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, this is not a thing its supposed to be doing...

I figured that, but it persists after I restart and also after I uninstall/reinstall. Only happens if I'm downloading from LTE oddly.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I'm a big fan of Player.FM; they went freemium a while ago but I haven't ever felt like I needed a paid feature. I really like their UX, the model they use for subscriptions and queueing works great if you subscribe to some you don't actually listen to every episode and often dip into episodes of ones you don't want to subscribe to. Drawbacks are it can be a little slow to update new eps and they've been promising premium feed support for a long time but I don't think it does yet.

I'd happily toss them a few Google funbux as a one-time but for some weird reason they went with a monthly subscription model.

I'll give this a look. Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

grvm posted:

I figured that, but it persists after I restart and also after I uninstall/reinstall. Only happens if I'm downloading from LTE oddly.

I have to think you're just doing something wrong, there's no reason it should behave this way.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Pocketcasts, maybe you need to switch to download instead of stream, or perhaps you have filters set up in some messed up way, things should be filed into your "In Progress" folder after playback has started.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My Amazon app has gone from showing me a notification for a Deal of the Day or a sale on something in my wish list every few days to showing me sales on blackout curtains a few times a day.

What does Amazon know about me???

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Uthor posted:

My Amazon app has gone from showing me a notification for a Deal of the Day or a sale on something in my wish list every few days to showing me sales on blackout curtains a few times a day.

What does Amazon know about me???

I wonder if the app is checking when you log in versus your time zone to conclude that you keep weird hours. Does the phone clock need special permission to access it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I know my mom was shopping curtains and thought maybe I was logged in at her house, but I didn't see any of those searches in my history. I never got these when I WAS working weird hours.

:iiam:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

I wonder if the app is checking when you log in versus your time zone to conclude that you keep weird hours. Does the phone clock need special permission to access it?

It wouldn't need that if it could access the server and location since, well, it could easily deduce the time from that.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

LastInLine posted:

I have to think you're just doing something wrong, there's no reason it should behave this way.

That's what I thought too, but I checked my settings and I'm really not sure how I can meet up hitting a download button. To be clear, the episode does download and I can then play the episode, but any episodes that I don't immediately play are no longer there after I let the app go to background. So I can't, for example, download 2-3 eps to play in a row or whatever.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

grvm posted:

That's what I thought too, but I checked my settings and I'm really not sure how I can meet up hitting a download button. To be clear, the episode does download and I can then play the episode, but any episodes that I don't immediately play are no longer there after I let the app go to background. So I can't, for example, download 2-3 eps to play in a row or whatever.

Dumb question, did you check to see if it has storage permissions?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

grvm posted:

I download episodes and then close the app and they're gone?

Whoa, same thing is happening with pocketcasts to me too. Seems to be when I'm downloading on LTE, not WiFi.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

LastInLine posted:

Dumb question, did you check to see if it has storage permissions?

Definitely not a dumb question. It does have permissions and it can save just fine if I downloaded over WiFi. There are also no universal or series storage limit settings that I can find in the app.

Edit: worded that wrong. There are no limits imposed that I can find.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Report it to the developer: androidsupport@shiftyjelly.com They've been very responsive the few times I've seen bugs.

I know I've downloaded whole podcast series over LTE and they were all there later and I'm talking like 60-100 eps but I haven't done it in a month or so. There have been 3 or so updates in the last month or two so the bug must've been introduced in that timeframe.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Is there a calendar app that would give me a notification in the morning if I have any events that day?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Havana Affair posted:

Is there a calendar app that would give me a notification in the morning if I have any events that day?

I don't know the answer to your question but assuming you're using Google Calendar you can simply request a notification when you create an event to give that notification whenever you want from time beforehand to simply a notification at a specific time. When you create an event for a day that's clear, set it for the time you'd like to receive a notification then on subsequent events for that day don't ask for an event.

Now if this is for a calendar and events you don't control, I guess you're out of luck. I know my alarm clock AMDroid has calendar integration and I'd probably set an alarm profile for a given time (maybe silent) that only goes off at its time when a given calendar has an event but I've never tried that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LastInLine posted:

I don't know the answer to your question but assuming you're using Google Calendar you can simply request a notification when you create an event to give that notification whenever you want from time beforehand to simply a notification at a specific time. When you create an event for a day that's clear, set it for the time you'd like to receive a notification then on subsequent events for that day don't ask for an event.

I use Google Calendar for my work schedue, and it's poo poo for giving notifications the day before. It's been months since it worked right.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone use a torrent app? There are lots of options and I'd like to avoid one that is full of malware.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

Anyone use a torrent app? There are lots of options and I'd like to avoid one that is full of malware.

Malwarebytes is okay with zetaTorrent

e: first review for comedy value

A Google user posted:

April 6, 2018
Way too many adds. Going back to u torrent. Found torrent for u torrent pro, free, add free.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

syscall girl posted:

Malwarebytes is okay with zetaTorrent

e: first review for comedy value

Thanks.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
What's the recommended password manager on Android? I currently store my passwords in a Keepass database on PC and I would like to have some solution where I can access those on my phone as well, ideally something that supports Oreo's autofill. I'm okay with paying for the app but would like that to be a one time payment rather than a subscription.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

What's the recommended password manager on Android? I currently store my passwords in a Keepass database on PC and I would like to have some solution where I can access those on my phone as well, ideally something that supports Oreo's autofill. I'm okay with paying for the app but would like that to be a one time payment rather than a subscription.

Keepass2Droid, does autofill and supports all Keepass databases.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CLAM DOWN posted:

Keepass2Droid, does autofill and supports all Keepass databases.

Thanks! How are other folks making the database available on the phone? You guys just keep a local copy on the phone or upload to Google Drive? Is that safe?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Incessant Excess posted:

Thanks! How are other folks making the database available on the phone? You guys just keep a local copy on the phone or upload to Google Drive? Is that safe?

I kept mine on dropbox, but Drive would probably work too.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I keep the database file on Drive, and made a keyfile that I move to whatever device I need it on by flash drive.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Deeters posted:

I keep the database file on Drive, and made a keyfile that I move to whatever device I need it on by flash drive.

How do you use the database on your phone? Do you keep a copy of the keyfile on it permanently?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I use google drive to move my database file around. When you install keepass2droid or keepassdroid you go into google drive and pin your database file so it's available offline, then you just open drive, select it, and it will auto-launch the app.

No idea how you make a keyfile work in this context, presumably you have some other way of storing files on your phone. I just use password auth with a long passphrase.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Keepass2droid will pull the dB from Dropbox or drive and keep it updated when you launch the app. At least that's how I have it set up. Also supports fingerprint authentication if your phone does.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Wacky Delly posted:

Keepass2droid will pull the dB from Dropbox or drive and keep it updated when you launch the app. At least that's how I have it set up. Also supports fingerprint authentication if your phone does.

Yes, this is the way to do it.

You could walk around giving your database to everyone and it wouldn't matter...it's encrypted. So yeah, sync database from your PC to your phone with Dropbox.

(assuming keepass hasn't hosed up the encryption, but I'm fairly confident the OSS password manager favored by paranoid nerds has been gone over pretty well...in fact IIRC, there's even been a funded audit of the codebase. google for more info)

Of course, being nerd software you probably want to manually configure the syncing stuff with triggers as described here.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, this is the way to do it.

You could walk around giving your database to everyone and it wouldn't matter...it's encrypted. So yeah, sync database from your PC to your phone with Dropbox.

(assuming keepass hasn't hosed up the encryption, but I'm fairly confident the OSS password manager favored by paranoid nerds has been gone over pretty well...in fact IIRC, there's even been a funded audit of the codebase. google for more info)

Of course, being nerd software you probably want to manually configure the syncing stuff with triggers as described here.

I had Keepass on my last phone and I don't remember if I configured it other than pointing it at my dropbox and when I transferred my google account to this phone it was still syncing perfectly. Very slick for free open sores

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I find that for whatever reason either KeePass2Droid or Drive can be bad at synching changes. I'll occasionally have to delete the local copy and re-download it to get a new or changed password on my phone, and I try to avoid creating a new password on my phone because I haven't had any luck getting that to sync back to my computer.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I can't quit Swype

Gboard is so god drat annoyingly bad at getting my swipes right. I keep giving it chances but it's so frustrating. I just went three weeks using it and I'm immediately typing two to three times as fast after switching back to Swype.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hooah posted:

I find that for whatever reason either KeePass2Droid or Drive can be bad at synching changes. I'll occasionally have to delete the local copy and re-download it to get a new or changed password on my phone, and I try to avoid creating a new password on my phone because I haven't had any luck getting that to sync back to my computer.

You probably need to set up the triggers I just linked.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Stevie Lee posted:

I can't quit Swype

Gboard is so god drat annoyingly bad at getting my swipes right. I keep giving it chances but it's so frustrating. I just went three weeks using it and I'm immediately typing two to three times as fast after switching back to Swype.

I feel this. I haven't given in to temptation and switched back, but I am frustrated with Gboard on a daily basis. Swype said they're just getting out of consumer-facing products, so maybe someone will license their software or something. I can dream, anyway.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just a heads up that Google Voice integration with Sprint will end on June 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm always surprised when I'm reminded sprint exists