Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

Joseph Anderson made a new short video about an indie game. It is surprisingly self-aware.

lmao him making fun of his mario mispronunciation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao him making fun of his mario mispronunciation.

Obligatory Dark Souls Reference!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was kinda bummed because when i heard of minnit i actually thought it'd be just like his comparison so that was extra funny.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Fastest channel subscription ever! <3

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
While the camera choice might be intentional, I remember Brad saying that he uses a pretty old computer to produce his shows. Though that was years ago and I seriously hope he's upgraded since then.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Has Lindsay’s Hobbit Part 3 been released yet?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VanSandman posted:

If we're gonna get the full experience it's going to need to sit in development hell for awhile, then at the last minute Dan Olson will make it after writing the script the night before.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Are there any internet review people who are not boring rear end white people?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rich evans is some kind of bog troll.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

BobbyK posted:

There was That Girl With the Goggles, but I think she only did like 1-2 videos. No idea what she did afterwards.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

VanSandman posted:

I'll let you know when we patrons get it. Then you'll only have three more days to wait!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

iirc she became a camgirl for a while? But I'm not sure how long that lasted.

e: re: girl with goggles

She seemed cool.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

BobbyK posted:

La'Ron Readus seems cool; I've only seen a few of his videos so far after finding him through one of Lindsay's videos but I like what I've seen.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

rich evans is some kind of bog troll.

Poking his head out from under the bridge to shout about how easily offended people are about his racist chinese impression.

La'Ron seems pretty fun though, thanks.

BobbyK fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 14, 2018

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

VanSandman posted:

Will it come at all? I got mixed signals; like the ending of that second video was just a joke.

I hope we get more tho.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

ricdesi posted:

Honestly, this is the most mindblowing thing to me. How in god's name did Doug let some other schmuck get the rights to his character (and as a result, his likeness as said character)? How can you be so horrific at negotiation that you give up the rights to the thing that made you famous in the first place? What stops Mike Michaud from waking up tomorrow and saying "Nah, gently caress it, the Nostalgia Critic is dead, and if anyone tries to save it, you can talk to my lawyer"?

It’d almost be different if Channel Awesome was an established brand at that point. But as far as I know, Michaud was just some guy Doug knew from around town.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

Will it come at all? I got mixed signals; like the ending of that second video was just a joke.

I hope we get more tho.

The joke was that there were originally 2 Hobbit movies planned but then it suddenly expanded to 3, so Lindsay repeatedly said she only was going to do 2 until the reveal at the end of the video. Pretty certain she fully intends to do a 3rd video about the effects the movie had on New Zealand.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Garrand posted:

La'Ron Readus seems cool; I've only seen a few of his videos so far after finding him through one of Lindsay's videos but I like what I've seen.

I started watching his most recent video and I enjoy his format and reading style, it's very straightforward. This is a pro click imo, based on what I'm seeing so far.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BigglesSWE posted:

I hope we get more tho.

You might want to give those videos a rewatch, then.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.
As for PoC who talk about media, some up and comers are La'Ron Readus and MelinaPendulum (who's since stopped posting as much now that she works for The Mary Sue). There's also Gita Jackson, who's started doing some video work with Kotaku and io9. Jourdain Searles has several podcasts, and also has started being in Kyle Kallgren's videos more and more (she's Kyle's girlfriend.) And of course, old favorite Rap Critic (who recently did a collab with me on the Bright video).

The big problem with PoC on YouTube talking in predominately white spaces is not just that it is innately more hostile for them (like if you thought that being a white woman was bad...) but the real issue is that the YouTube algorithm handles the vast, vast majority of traffic, and the algorithm tends to select PoC, especially in traditionally white spaces, because it goes off of what it thinks the viewer wants to see (and white people are statistically less likely to click on a thumbnail with a black face - that's just how it is, and the YouTube robot knows this). So not only is it harder to get a foothold if you aren't white, it's harder to get the robot to promote you, and it's harder to find new voices in recommendations as well.

I vote for me as mod - give me all of the power so I can exercise the most shameless of nepotism*

*I am kidding. Don't mod me. It would be a legit conflict of interest.

Edit: Wednesday. The answer is Wednesday.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pirate Jenny posted:

:neckbeard:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Double Toasted is your answer for non white media talk.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mr.Radar posted:

I'm guessing he signed over the rights at the point where TGWTG/Channel Awesome was incorporated as a legal entity, before any of his (many) characters had taken off so the magnitude of the decision wouldn't have been blindingly obvious (and Doug, as we know, sometimes misses even that).

The trademark was filed in 2016 and according to CA (though I don't think they have any reason to lie here) is shared between four people. I'd assume Doug is one of the four.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Yeah and Greg Michaud (Mike's brother) is apparently the 4th owner
so its a split between 2 brothers
and a 5th owner coming along

BobbyK posted:

Does Todd count?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jenny posted:

As for PoC who talk about media, some up and comers are La'Ron Readus and MelinaPendulum (who's since stopped posting as much now that she works for The Mary Sue). There's also Gita Jackson, who's started doing some video work with Kotaku and io9. Jourdain Searles has several podcasts, and also has started being in Kyle Kallgren's videos more and more (she's Kyle's girlfriend.) And of course, old favorite Rap Critic (who recently did a collab with me on the Bright video).

The big problem with PoC on YouTube talking in predominately white spaces is not just that it is innately more hostile for them (like if you thought that being a white woman was bad...) but the real issue is that the YouTube algorithm handles the vast, vast majority of traffic, and the algorithm tends to select PoC, especially in traditionally white spaces, because it goes off of what it thinks the viewer wants to see (and white people are statistically less likely to click on a thumbnail with a black face - that's just how it is, and the YouTube robot knows this). So not only is it harder to get a foothold if you aren't white, it's harder to get the robot to promote you, and it's harder to find new voices in recommendations as well.

I vote for me as mod - give me all of the power so I can exercise the most shameless of nepotism*

*I am kidding. Don't mod me. It would be a legit conflict of interest.

Couldn't that be easily solved by YouTube adding an "I want to see PoC-videos" option, which makes this algorithm run backwards?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It is grotesquely comical how algorithms like that have entrenched and furthered systemic racism with such laser-like precision less than a decade after they first started coming into service. And it’s all of a piece with the human-driven colorblind racism behind poo poo like the war on drugs, as the machines literally can’t see race.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

business hammocks posted:

It is grotesquely comical how algorithms like that have entrenched and furthered systemic racism with such laser-like precision less than a decade after they first started coming into service. And it’s all of a piece with the human-driven colorblind racism behind poo poo like the war on drugs, as the machines literally can’t see race.

At least the machines can be fixed. Whenever I bring up "fixing" humans with surgery, people tend to be weird about this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes that is weird.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Libluini posted:

At least the machines can be fixed. Whenever I bring up "fixing" humans with surgery, people tend to be weird about this.

:same:

Pirate Jenny posted:

This was a good post but also new video hype!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

BobbyK posted:

Linkara's wife Viga does a series on idol animes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ6yWwPiS9Q

I've never watched any of them, though, since I'm not particularly interested in anime. She's fun on his fanmail unboxing videos, though.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 14, 2018

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Mashups of Smash reactions almost always have a large quantity of PoC re-...reacting.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Just wanted to say after watching The Death of Stalin that I realized I should never be made a mod of anything since I would basically be a Malenkov.

CelticPredator posted:

Double Toasted is your answer for non white media talk.
Yeah they are pretty much the gold standard (all the way back in the Spill days too)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BobbyK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IriconYObSo

This guy is pretty rad

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I fell in love when I heard the hydrocity zone music.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

BobbyK posted:

There's Satchbag, who's part of NormalBoots (https://www.youtube.com/user/satchbags). I've not watched any of his stuff, though, outside of his video on Fez.

There's MarsReview (https://www.youtube.com/user/InfenoBearGaming/featured), who does animation reviews. He was the guy who did the video on the weird 2nd season/reboot of George of the Jungle .

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I enjoyed this movie but this video is really good. :allears:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

There's also Black Nerd, of course.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Double Toasted is cool but I've started only watching their movie shows and I might be at a point where I can't take Korey laughing at his own jokes anymore. Also that guy Ray and Danielle are horrible.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I wish there was a box I could check on youtube that hid every video of some white nerd standing in front of a shelf full of video games.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Danielle rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't know if I mentioned him before but I'm a fan of the1janitor for internet commentary.

Also that Double Toasted review of Acrimony was the funniest thing I've seen in awhile and you know that Korey is keen on Tyler Perry tropes which is what makes the review so much better. I was introduced to Double Toasted when I heard about their Zootopia review and that was literally the best way to be introduced to them because that review was as earnest as it was raunchy.