Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

Yeah Word had random crashes due to a lovely patch. Every loving month there are new Office problems. Yay!

Office 2010 was the best office. Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

Office 2010 was the best office. Seriously.
2013/2016 are theoretically as good or better, but when Office 2010 was current Microsoft still had QA staff and didn’t just poo poo out a massive patch rollup every month and hope their developers didn’t gently caress up too badly.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Larchesdanrew update:

Our PR guy had a nervous breakdown and specifically cites the director as the cause.

After nearly 3 years I have finally completed the card access project.

:siren:The Director is about two weeks away from accepting a position as superintendent in another city:siren:

He has become unbearable and his most likely replacement is the nicest guy I have ever met.

I have been offered a job as technology director for the engineering school at a college. It pays $20k more than I make here with regular raises and bonuses. Word is that it’s extremely laid back and they have more money than they know how to spend. I’ll also have employees again :allears:

Things are shaping up nicely.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Larchesdanrew update:

Our PR guy had a nervous breakdown and specifically cites the director as the cause.

:siren:The Director is about two weeks away from accepting a position as superintendent in another city:siren:

He has become unbearable and his most likely replacement is the nicest guy I have ever met.

I have been offered a job as technology director for the engineering school at a college. It pays $20k more than I make here with regular raises and bonuses. Word is that it’s extremely laid back and they have more money than they know how to spend. I’ll also have employees again :allears:

:drat:

:woop:

:byewhore:

:allears:

:toot:

:woop:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:yotj:

Very happy for you, Larches!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

Larchesdanrew update:

<starts looking to the skies for that one giant meteor to hit the Earth>

Yay you, buddy!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

my cat is norris posted:

Very happy for you, Larches!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

larchesdanrew posted:

Larchesdanrew update:

Duuuuuude that's awesome. Congrats!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

larchesdanrew posted:

Larchesdanrew update:

Take that job offer and run. New bossman might be nice, but :yotj: for $20k more and not being the sole man upon which rely all things is nothing to sneeze at.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Especially considering his job at the station was making $30k, that’s a ridiculous raise for Mississippi.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Especially considering his job at the station was making $30k, that’s a ridiculous raise for Mississippi.

This job pays three times that.

That's rich man money around here.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

And you have a written offer? What's holding you back? Would you need to move?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

Are you paying alimony or just child support? IIRC she made as much money as you. Not sure if MS is an at-fault State, but she was cheating on you so if so I would guess that hurts the alimony chances. $90k is drat good in Colorado, you could be absolutely rolling in it right now.

Time to buy a red Porsche and some gaudy jewelry to get back on the market.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are you paying alimony or just child support? IIRC she made as much money as you. Not sure if MS is an at-fault State, but she was cheating on you so if so I would guess that hurts the alimony chances. $90k is drat good in Colorado, you could be absolutely rolling in it right now.

Time to buy a red Porsche and some gaudy jewelry to get back on the market.

Just child support, but she owns a restaurant now and they've gotten pretty creative with her reported income. But they're also not looking to stick me for more than I'm already paying. She doesn't even spend it. It's all still sitting in the account and they're using it for college funds.

Proteus Jones posted:

And you have a written offer? What's holding you back? Would you need to move?

It's a 30 minute drive and the schedule for my kids' daycare means I'd have to organize someone to take them in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon. So I'm weighing the financial and logistical aspects of it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

larchesdanrew posted:

Larchesdanrew update:

GodDAMN I hope the moon is just it's normal sort of large in the sky right now....

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

larchesdanrew posted:

Larchesdanrew update:

Larches winning?

I'm not sure how to parse this.

Congrats dude. You are certainly past due for some good luck.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 17, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Plot twist: the CE gets Larches’s current job.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

ilkhan posted:

Congrats dude. You are certainly past due for some good luck.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What everyone's bitching about today:

New company apparell program. Instead of getting 2 free shirts, we now get a $50 gift card to buy things from the 'online store'. It's a local printing company and they have a polo, long sleeve button up, hoodie, fleece jacket, a couple womens type shirts, etc.

The gift card doesn't cover tax or shipping which is what everyone is miffed about. Why are they charging us shipping when they are a local company and they can just pack all the poo poo in one box or someone from here can go pick it up?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

larchesdanrew posted:

Just child support, but she owns a restaurant now and they've gotten pretty creative with her reported income. But they're also not looking to stick me for more than I'm already paying. She doesn't even spend it. It's all still sitting in the account and they're using it for college funds.

It's a 30 minute drive and the schedule for my kids' daycare means I'd have to organize someone to take them in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon. So I'm weighing the financial and logistical aspects of it.

For the money, you can hire a nanny/babysitter to watch kids for 2-3 hours a day. $90K is amazing, even where I'm at. take that poo poo and run with it, you fool!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Plot twist: the CE gets Larches’s current job is Larche's new co-worker.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

Larchesdanrew update:

Well deserved man!
You were deff due for change of luck

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

An mass email came in at 6:45pm from a disgruntled student who was expelled. This email put on blast every single student who has drugs in their rooms, secret places they sex, all the dirty laundry in the student world.

The principal texted me in a panic telling me to revoke email access and retract the email.

I was sort of panicking as well, as this has happened before where I have neglected to revoke email access in time and I’m just loving the idea of the shitstorm waiting for me in the morning. I revoked the access, but not a lot I can do about retracting it short of changing everyone’s password and deleting them out of each inbox one by one.

Then I went through all student withdrawal paperwork to see where exactly I hosed up, but couldn’t find where I had been notified by anyone.

Turns out, this student was slated for expulsion at 6:30pm, and no one felt the need to inform me ahead of time.

For once I’m completely in the clear on a tech related fuckup.

This day just gets better and better.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

larchesdanrew posted:

An mass email came in at 6:45pm from a disgruntled student who was expelled. This email put on blast every single student who has drugs in their rooms, secret places they sex, all the dirty laundry in the student world.

The principal texted me in a panic telling me to revoke email access and retract the email.

I was sort of panicking as well, as this has happened before where I have neglected to revoke email access in time and I’m just loving the idea of the shitstorm waiting for me in the morning. I revoked the access, but not a lot I can do about retracting it short of changing everyone’s password and deleting them out of each inbox one by one.

Then I went through all student withdrawal paperwork to see where exactly I hosed up, but couldn’t find where I had been notified by anyone.

Turns out, this student was slated for expulsion at 6:30pm, and no one felt the need to inform me ahead of time.

If this is exchange you do a content search for the parameters unique to the email in question. You check the content results to make sure its catching the emails you expect. Then you do a delete based on the content search.

Exchange on prem (newer exchange is probably close to this)

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13915.deleting-a-specific-email-from-entire-organization-in-exchange-2010.aspx

Office 365

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...d4-5ebd37b3762a

If this isn't exchange you might be hosed.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
e:f;b

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Nah, we’re on gmail. They’re moving over to 365 over the summer, but it’s not going to do them a whole lot of good right now.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Nah, we’re on gmail. They’re moving over to 365 over the summer, but it’s not going to do them a whole lot of good right now.

if it's a google apps for education situation, GAM can do this.

https://wpsit.blogspot.com/2016/06/delete-specific-email-using-gam.html

Edit : GAM is basically powershell for google apps. I've barely scratched the surface of it, but it's dope. We're mid-transition to getting users migrated to Gmail. I got one of my guys to use GAM to set timed access to a google group (can't access it during the school day), so every day a server sitting somewhere fires off a GAM command to grant all staff access to a group at like 4pm, and runs again at 8am to remove everyone's permissions to the group.

And most importantly : Judge Schnoopy is absolutely correct. Be sure to set expectations accordingly. Or don't. gently caress 'em. Take the new job :)

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 18, 2018

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Congrats on the good news, condolences on that exciting email situation. See if Nerdrock's solution works!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

The Macaroni posted:

Congrats on the good news, condolences on that exciting email situation. See if Nerdrock's solution works!

It's already been delivered to all the kids. Even if you delete it from every inbox, the email will still exist somewhere. Some kids probably printed it already, or forwarded to personal accounts. The damage is done.

The only real approach is for adminstration to suck it up and call an all-school assembly to address the situation as professionally as possible.

And then when they're done eating crow they need to review their expulsion procedure and identify who forgot to tell larches about it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
And yet I can't help this feeling that the dipshit director will try to throw Larches under the bus somehow. How dare he not use his psychic powers to see the future and preemptively disable the account!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Very kind of that student to alert the school of all the nefarious activities going on.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

What a punk! I went to a school similar to yours, larches, and an email like that would have led to half two thirds of us getting expelled.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Nerdrock posted:

if it's a google apps for education situation, GAM can do this.

https://wpsit.blogspot.com/2016/06/delete-specific-email-using-gam.html

Whaaaaaat this is amazing. I didn't know GAM was capable of this. I've been using it for about a year or so now and it's completely changed how I deal with Gmail and Drive. Thanks for the link!

Also, director was surprisingly chill about it. Upset, but he said mistakes happen. I'm completely in the clear as I was not made aware of it, but now he expects me to be on call 24/7 for emergency account suspension. Ok, yeah, good luck with that, pal.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Larches I can’t wait till you hand in your resignation.

Please document the reactions in full.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

larchesdanrew posted:

Whaaaaaat this is amazing. I didn't know GAM was capable of this. I've been using it for about a year or so now and it's completely changed how I deal with Gmail and Drive. Thanks for the link!

Also, director was surprisingly chill about it. Upset, but he said mistakes happen. I'm completely in the clear as I was not made aware of it, but now he expects me to be on call 24/7 for emergency account suspension. Ok, yeah, good luck with that, pal.

Sounds good director! After hour support calls are counted as 1 hour per call, with 2 compensation hours per 1 off-hour worked.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steakandchips posted:

Larches I can’t wait till you hand in your resignation.

Please document the reactions in full.

This, please make sure you hand in your departure ticket before your director fucks off as well.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Truga posted:

I use yyyymmdd everywhere all the time, often broken up by /, even though the standard here is dd.mm.yyyy, because gently caress that noise that doesn't sort

Am I the only one that uses DDMMMYYYY? As in 18Apr2018?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

Am I the only one that uses DDMMMYYYY? As in 18Apr2018?

Military does it that way. It's good in that it's exceptionally clear.

Sorts like garbage, though, and writing automation around it is more of a pain in the rear end.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thanatosian posted:

Military does it that way. It's good in that it's exceptionally clear.

Sorts like garbage, though, and writing automation around it is more of a pain in the rear end.

Yeah I use it primarily for my own notes and documentation, I don't get to use it for anything that a computer has to actually read. But I imagine it's fairly easy to get Excel to do a conversion or a few lines of PowerShell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Received this email yesterday:

"I’m unable to access my email at the remote office. When I plug in the internet cord, my files on my network folder come up. But my internet isn’t working when I click on my outlook. But I’m able to access websites. I’m not sure what the issue is."

Please note that Outlook is not installed on her PC, and the email was sent from her work email account.