Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
gaethje is tough as they come but hes not championship level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Michael Johnson murdered Poirier.

recent poirier at 155 would smoke Johnson

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I think he can make his style work for him but he took an insane amount of head shots for pretth much the whole fight. Is getting constantly punched in the face integral to what he does? I'd imagine that improving his head movent or actually effectively blocking would go a long way, even if he keeps doing risky poo poo. There's risky poo poo, and there's bad defense, and he uh kinda does both. Bad combination.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Skip My Posts posted:

recent poirier at 155 would smoke Johnson

it was and he didnt?

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

i read that he developed his style because his vision is not only terrible, but he's near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other. he had the vision problem corrected with PRK before filming the ultimate fighter (and has, coincidentally, lost both his fights since).

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Michael Johnson murdered Poirier.

I mean yeah but Johnson is super uneven with a 17-13 record and is easily drawn into Gaethjes battle. hell Darren Elkins beat him.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

it was and he didnt?

drat youre right i thought it was longer ago

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

CRISPYBABY posted:

I think he can make his style work for him but he took an insane amount of head shots for pretth much the whole fight. Is getting constantly punched in the face integral to what he does? I'd imagine that improving his head movent or actually effectively blocking would go a long way, even if he keeps doing risky poo poo. There's risky poo poo, and there's bad defense, and he uh kinda does both. Bad combination.

Gaethje had eaten something like 120 head shots by the end of the second round. Most fighters barely eat that many in a 5 round fight.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
like you said tho poirier is always reckless enough to get cracked in a fight he should win

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Skip My Posts posted:

like you said tho poirier is always reckless enough to get cracked in a fight he should win

He seems to have fixed that issue since the Johnson fight. He has been very disciplined in his approach since then.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Le Saboteur posted:

He seems to have fixed that issue since the Poirier fight. He has been very disciplined in his approach since then.

I agree but gaethje got him once pretty good with a right, i thought he was in big trouble but gaethje clinched

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Insanely awesome fight. That left hand from Dustin was a rocket.

Gaethje should take a dude down once in awhile.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/DamonMartin/status/985346188445650944?s=19

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Awesome fight, Dusin’s Leg kick defence was still godawful but those eye pokes gave him a lot of recovery time that he needed. Gaethje owns.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Congrats to "Dustin" Diamond

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

no distinction between the head and the forearm inn the stats, apparently

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

pretty sure gaethje said some insane poo poo before this fight or the eddie one about how one of them is going to die in the ring that night, and that's exactly how he wants to go. and when you see the 142 significant strikes to the head landed, you realize that motherfucker is serious about it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Skip My Posts posted:

for real the michael johnson fight i'd have at 50/50 every time because of poirier's propensity for getting too reckless and losing. which is also why i want poirier to get the shot now. he's earned it, but he's a ticking time bomb for a gently caress up

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

They're not going to let Dustin Poirier fight Khabib.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
I remember Scott Smith's trainer was threatening to leave him if he didn't start trying to defend himself better back in '72 or so. I wonder if Gaethje's trainers feel the same.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

for real the michael johnson fight i'd have at 50/50 every time because of poirier's propensity for getting too reckless and losing. which is also why i want poirier to get the shot now. he's earned it, but he's a ticking time bomb for a gently caress up

johnson is one of the few guys that might have faster hands than poirier

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

They're not going to let Dustin Poirier fight Khabib.

ya :(

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Trevor Wittman understands his fighters and knows how to work with them better than literally every single person on this website.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Maybe an outside chance if Conor keeps being dumb as poo poo and Tony doesn't heal up and Khabib demands a title defence before Ramadan, or even after, if both those things keep happening, but even then, I think they'd give it to Eddie.

It sucks, but welcome to the Lightweight divison, where all the best, most exciting fighters exist, but they're never allowed to fight for the title because [unintelligible irish about 'diddy bread']

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I’d love to see Dustin vs Khabib but it’s probably gonna be the Alvarez rematch.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Dana said that they wouldn't book Khabib vs. Tony ever again, which of course means they will

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
fuckin eddie got melted by conor and then smoked by dustin until he cheated. NO NOO !

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Poirier is probably going to get a long medical suspension even in a win for that one. I'm not sure what Arizona's practices are, but lots of commissions give long breaks for especially hard fights.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cyber Dog posted:

no distinction between the head and the forearm inn the stats, apparently

What is significant strikes even signifying if is counting strikes that hit the guard?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
listen i respect eddie, but he can suck my dick

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i mean much love

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

fuckin eddie got melted by conor and then smoked by dustin until he cheated. NO NOO !

He cheated after hurting Dustin real bad, but yeah, they've left the division in limbo and now there's pretty much no one really 'ready' for a title shot barring Dustin.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

i mean much love

lol

MassRafTer posted:

What is significant strikes even signifying if is counting strikes that hit the guard?

Strike stats in general are useless garbage aside from for pointing to and going 'that's cool' and immediately forgetting about.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I would assume the fight metric folks don't count clearly blocked shots as significant strikes.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Skip My Posts posted:

listen i respect eddie, but he can suck my dick

He's too busy forcing goons to suck their own dicks

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Le Saboteur posted:

I would assume the fight metric folks don't count clearly blocked shots as significant strikes.

Fight Metric folks are like the potato in a briefcase photo in that everything about them only works in theory.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

this sport is too dumb for that

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Le Saboteur posted:

I would expect that too!

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

i mean, gaethje has a great chin, but i would wager that a great many of shots that slammed powerfully into his forearms were tallied as significant. when he's covering up, his head defense is quite good. it's why body shots pay such dividends against him (both because they tire him, and because he bends his high guard into them at the waist rather than drop his forearms)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
https://streamja.com/pAdj

That paint brush effect.

• Locked thread