Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Timby posted:

They were indeed sourced from the laserdiscs. They're non-anamorphic and they look like swamp rear end.
On the other hand the colors on the 2004 DVDs is so hosed up they look better in comparison. I'm going to have to give the Despecialized Editions a watch some time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Are there any really notable better than original fan edits? I know about Harry’s and that version of Fire Walk Woh Me with the deleted scenes but any cool notable ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygggcqKmUts

Casimir Radon posted:

On the other hand the colors on the 2004 DVDs is so hosed up they look better in comparison. I'm going to have to give the Despecialized Editions a watch some time soon.

Were the 04 DVDs the release where they got so overzealous with the digital cleanup that they accidentally erased the stars out of the space scenes and had to add them back in digitally?

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 14, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CPL593H posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygggcqKmUts

Were the 04 DVDs the release where they got so overzealous with the digital cleanup that they accidentally erased the stars out of the space scenes and had to add them back in digitally?
I don't remember that. Mostly it was that Luke's lightsaber was never the right color, and some other stuff like that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

What happened with the 2004 masters used for the DVDs and later Blu-rays is that Lowry Digital Images (now Reliance Mediaworks) and ILM were only given about three months to restore, color grade, and revise effects. For comparison's sake, Sony spent 2 1/2 years restoring Lawrence of Arabia.

Also, The Phantom Menace's original DVD was quite obviously an upscale of the 4x3 letterbox master used for tape and laserdisc.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 14, 2018

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It just blows my mind how shoddy the treatment of Star Wars has been in terms of video releases, but I guess that's to be expected when people will buy anything with that logo on it even if they slapped the discs in a pile of dog poo poo.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

It just blows my mind how shoddy the treatment of Star Wars has been in terms of video releases, but I guess that's to be expected when people will buy anything with that logo on it even if they slapped the discs in a pile of dog poo poo.

It does make one appreciate the filmmakers that are sticklers for getting their films to look best for home video like Ridley Scott, Francis Ford Coppola, David Lynch, Steven Spielberg, and Martin Scorsese.

IIRC, Lynch pretty much supervises every aspect of releases he's involved in from supervising the remasters to designing the menus/packaging. Eraserhead was the first DVD to use a direct HD-to-MPEG2 encode (rather than HD-to-Digibeta-to-MPEG2).

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Egbert Souse posted:

One thing I really wish would make the move from DVD to Blu-ray are the Walt Disney Treasures sets. Disney apparently has 4K masters of all their theatrical shorts now. It's still bizarre how the only thing to come out of the restorations is a vinyl set of the Silly Symphonies soundtracks (with no digital or CD edition!)

What? You don’t appreciate the HD “Have A Laugh” edits posted on the only official place to get your Mickey fix, Disney’s exclusive streaming app, Mickey Video™???

EDIT: I’m pretty sure that’s the only place the actual restorations have sorta kinda shown up in their entirety, but as always they are piece-meal, scattershot, and mixed in with horrible edits and masters that predate them.

But otherwise, the only actual proven use of the 4K restorations, to my knowledge, are those lovely “Have a Laugh”/“Blam” edits.

Because, as we all know, no one has the time or patience to watch a whole 7 minute short with Chip and Dale when they could be watching a version playing at 150% original speed with cuts added on top to bring the package down to 3 minutes tops.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 15, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

What? You don’t appreciate the HD “Have A Laugh” edits posted on the only official place to get your Mickey fix, Disney’s exclusive streaming app, Mickey Video™???

EDIT: I’m pretty sure that’s the only place the actual restorations have sorta kinda shown up in their entirety, but as always they are piece-meal, scattershot, and mixed in with horrible edits and masters that predate them.

But otherwise, the only actual proven use of the 4K restorations, to my knowledge, are those lovely “Have a Laugh”/“Blam” edits.

Because, as we all know, no one has the time or patience to watch a whole 7 minute short with Chip and Dale when they could be watching a version playing at 150% original speed with cuts added on top to bring the package down to 3 minutes tops.

Disney has been slowly having everything in their archive scanned in 4K for future use. The animated features (minus the 40s package films like Melody Time) through Sleeping Beauty were all from 4K scans of the successive exposure negatives. Steamboat Willie is from the 4K scan since they used a clip for the new logo. The DMC exclusive Blu-rays of Old Yeller, Pollyanna, Treasure Island, and Swiss Family Robinson are all from 4K scans.

Not just their Disney-branded films. Rebecca and Straw Dogs were also part of the 4K scan project and were utilized for the Criterion Blu-rays.

I've read somewhere that they even scanned Song of the South.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

George Lucas has (or had) a lot of control over the Star Wars home video releases, but here's the thing - he's not a particularly good film maker.

He has a lot of talent and a lot of good ideas. But he has a nasty habit of letting the perfect become the enemy of the good, and so when he oversees the home video releases of his movies, he tends to give into the instincts to tinker with his films because he could have done something differently or he wants to make a minor change to make them fit in better with films made after the fact. He's unwilling to accept them as a product of their time and place, and keeps trying to remold them into this vision that he had.

He wants to exert control over these films, and refuses to accept them for what they are. And here's the thing - the core films are still there. Sure, the new Jabba song loving sucks - but if you want to watch Return of the Jedi and you want the best version legally available - what are you going to do? And while these changes are small, they do annoy fans because it's just something that takes you out of the experience. When Boba Fett has a new voice, or there's CGI creatures roaming about in scenes where there weren't before, or Jabba the Hutt is a small, slender slug, well, what are you going to do? Are you not going to share these less than perfect experiences with your family?

It's funny - Spielberg did the same thing to ET, but nowadays, when he talks about that film, he talks about his tinkering as a misstep on his part. There was one event where he was talking about the upcoming Blu-ray release, and mockingly asked the audience would they prefer the original 1982 version or the version he did in the early 2000s where the guns were replaced with walkie talkies.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cemetry Gator posted:

He wants to exert control over these films, and refuses to accept them for what they are. And here's the thing - the core films are still there. Sure, the new Jabba song loving sucks - but if you want to watch Return of the Jedi and you want the best version legally available - what are you going to do? And while these changes are small, they do annoy fans because it's just something that takes you out of the experience. When Boba Fett has a new voice, or there's CGI creatures roaming about in scenes where there weren't before, or Jabba the Hutt is a small, slender slug, well, what are you going to do? Are you not going to share these less than perfect experiences with your family?

I mean, I think most people who actually care about these kinds of things just pirate the Harmy versions. A lot of "normal" people honest to God barely even know anything's up with the different versions, largely because they've never seen a pre-1997 or pre-2004 version.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

George Lucas has (or had) a lot of control over the Star Wars home video releases, but here's the thing - he's not a particularly good film maker.

He has a lot of talent and a lot of good ideas. But he has a nasty habit of letting the perfect become the enemy of the good, and so when he oversees the home video releases of his movies, he tends to give into the instincts to tinker with his films because he could have done something differently or he wants to make a minor change to make them fit in better with films made after the fact. He's unwilling to accept them as a product of their time and place, and keeps trying to remold them into this vision that he had.

It's funny - Spielberg did the same thing to ET, but nowadays, when he talks about that film, he talks about his tinkering as a misstep on his part. There was one event where he was talking about the upcoming Blu-ray release, and mockingly asked the audience would they prefer the original 1982 version or the version he did in the early 2000s where the guns were replaced with walkie talkies.

I have the 2006 DVDs with the laserdisc transfers and when my sister who had never seen Star Wars wanted to see Star Wars I had her watch those. In fairness she kind of knew it was A Thing because I've been complaining about it for years. So technically, yes I am not going to share those less than perfect experiences with my family. But I understand that I'm not really an example of a typical (or unbiased for that matter) viewer. And for what it's worth, even when Spielberg put out the walkie talkie guns version of ET he still allowed the original version to be available. At this point George Lucas is no longer part of the equation so the fact that there's still not even the thought of the original Star Wars on blu-ray just baffles me. I feel like even for people that aren't nerds putting that out would make a lot of money if they advertised it as "FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!" because if Disney knows anything, it's how to market poo poo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

CPL593H posted:

I have the 2006 DVDs with the laserdisc transfers and when my sister who had never seen Star Wars wanted to see Star Wars I had her watch those. In fairness she kind of knew it was A Thing because I've been complaining about it for years. So technically, yes I am not going to share those less than perfect experiences with my family. But I understand that I'm not really an example of a typical (or unbiased for that matter) viewer. And for what it's worth, even when Spielberg put out the walkie talkie guns version of ET he still allowed the original version to be available. At this point George Lucas is no longer part of the equation so the fact that there's still not even the thought of the original Star Wars on blu-ray just baffles me. I feel like even for people that aren't nerds putting that out would make a lot of money if they advertised it as "FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!" because if Disney knows anything, it's how to market poo poo.

It might have been in the contract to buy the franchise that they can't re-release the originals. On the other hand maybe Disney is just being super sly and is holding off on the release until they are an exclusive bonus for the 12 movie boxed 4k set.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Gareth Edwards confirmed that a 4K scan of A New Hope exists, but I can’t remember if he said what version it was.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was the special edition.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

CelticPredator posted:

It was the special edition.

I wish they'd do an April fools announcement that starts out like a 4k special edition release with Ewan McGregor edited into the ot. (then turning into the first trailer for a Ewan McGregor Obi Wan Star Wars Story)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Ars Technica has an article about the technical and legal challenges involved with releasing the unaltered trilogy. TLDR - it’s possible, but a bit messy.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's not too big of a deal if the camera negative is difficult to use at this point. They can use the 1985 interpositives or the color separations. The seps would actually be better since they're generally made prior to any other handling of the camera negative. Because the standard procedure for printing for color films would be to immediately make a new dupe negative for a damaged shot from color separations if the negative was damaged during printing. So, even by 1985, there was about 10% of the negative already replaced with dupes because of printing damage on the '77 film.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I wouldn't be surprised if it was going to happen, that Disney does it as some part of a huge box. God knows, that's the only way I'd buy the prequel trilogy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was going to happen, that Disney does it as some part of a huge box. God knows, that's the only way I'd buy the prequel trilogy.

I felt something, as if millions of angry neckbeards cried out in impotent rage...

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Harmy's Despecialized Editions are the only worthwhile versions of the Star Wars original trilogy released in the past 20+ years.

That's true for Empire and Jedi, but the "silver screen edition" is a scan of a private collector's IB Technicolor print and is as perfect as you're going to get until Disney buys Fox.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Since the Disney buyout, though, there have been new steelbook releases of the movies, so there obviously has to be some deal in place with Disney and Fox already.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There's also apparently a 4K77 project, and 4K83.

So far as I'm concerned all the various rights holders have gotten thousands of dollars out of me over the last 25 years or so, so if they're not going to release them then....

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Remember when the Gold and Silver Box VHS trilogy release was a thing?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I have the unaltered "faces" tapes with the Leonard Maltin/Lucas interviews. Got it for Christmas probably in 1995. They're a but chewed up after many many watchings.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Casimir Radon posted:

I have the unaltered "faces" tapes with the Leonard Maltin/Lucas interviews. Got it for Christmas probably in 1995. They're a but chewed up after many many watchings.
Same, except mine aren't chewed up.

Well, so I had those from the time they were released until 2005 when Hurricane Katrina washed them away. They were probably showing some wear even before the hurricane because of how many goddamn times I watched those tapes. But a few years ago, I found that exact set at a thrift store for $6 and they were in loving mint condition. It was unreal. I bought them instantly, of course, and also bought a VCR at the same thrift store because I didn't own any method of watching VHS tapes between Hurricane Katrina and then, only DVD players and Blu-Ray players.

Those tapes are the only reason I own a VCR, except now that I have the Despecialized versions which are higher quality and more easily accessible, I don't even watch the tapes anymore and the VCR stays in my closet, though you bet your rear end I'm never getting rid of them considering the availability of the OT.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive just announced Blu-rays of Gun Crazy, Colossus of Rhodes (Sergio Leone's first film), Dark of the Sun, and Two Weeks In Another Town

Gun Crazy is one of the best noirs ever made.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Criterion announced the July titles too
Bull Durham
A Matter of Life and Death
Sex, Lies, and Videotape
Dragon Inn

and finally a set of films staring Marlene Dietrich and directed by Josef von Sternberg including:
Morocco
Dishonored
Shanghai Express
Blonde Venus
The Scarlet Empress
The Devil is a Woman

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Just bought my first Vinegar Syndrome release, Death Machines. I'd been meaning to pick up some of their releases for a while but never got around to it. I found it at a local store. I was kinda surprised they'd even have anything from that label.

What should I expect in terms of restoration quality and also is Death Machines any good?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liquid Sky is one of my favorite "new to me" films of recent and the Blu-ray is awesome.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Liquid Sky is one of my favorite "new to me" films of recent and the Blu-ray is awesome.

Me and my rhythm box, me and my rhythm box, me and my rhythm box......

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Seeing this thread made me realize I still have a sealed VHS copy of Speed on my shelves.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want a shout factory speed Blu Ray please. Wall to wall special feature.

Demolition Man as well thanks.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I haven't seen Death Machines but Vinegar Syndrome does a really good job with their restorations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

CelticPredator posted:

I want a shout factory speed Blu Ray please. Wall to wall special feature.

Demolition Man as well thanks.

Speed is one of my go-to sick day movies. It deserves a good release.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

mallratcal posted:

I haven't seen Death Machines but Vinegar Syndrome does a really good job with their restorations.

Death Machines is awesome.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm not usually into Keanu Reeves but he's incredibly sexy in Speed. I think it's the muscles.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I think Speed belongs on the same pedestal as Die Hard and it really seems like a forgotten blockbuster.

Jan de Bont had so much potential.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

I think Speed belongs on the same pedestal as Die Hard and it really seems like a forgotten blockbuster.

Jan de Bont had so much potential.

And then he made the Haunting.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like people would like The Haunting just fine if it wasn't a remake of The Haunting. There's nothing wrong with it in a vacuum as a dumb-fun haunted house movie, but holy loving lord it's disrespectful to the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Jan De Bont: director of Speed; cinematographer for Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, and Basic Instinct; also DP and editor on Roar in which he survived a lion attack that required his loving scalp to be stitched back on his head.