Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, thanks. Clears aren't giving me the super crisp tactility I want and I bottom out on every switch I've ever used so I'm going to go for it :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Getting antsy for my box navy switches to show up, come on singapore post :pray:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

internet celebrity posted:

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, thanks. Clears aren't giving me the super crisp tactility I want and I bottom out on every switch I've ever used so I'm going to go for it :homebrew:

Yeah, I'd say Kailh BOX Navy switches would be worth a look then. If you need a quieter version of those, rumor has it the upcoming NovelKeys BOX Royal will fit the bill. Those should become available for purchase come May, from https://www.novelkeys.xyz.

I like crisp tactility as well, and I think my favorite available switch is the Kailh BOX Brown or the heavier variant, NovelKeys × Kailh BOX Burnt Orange. Kailh Speed Copper is also fairly crisp, but those ended up being a little too light and over-easy to actuate for me.

I am currently on Kailh Pro Purple. While the bump doesn't start at the very top of the keypress nor is it quite as sharp as the BOX Brown/Burnt Orange, it does help with stopping me from bottoming out as much. I like them a lot, but I'll probably swap out for the Royals as soon as they're available.

Man, I look like some Kailh/NovelKeys fanboy ...

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 12, 2018

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Man, I look like some Kailh/NovelKeys fanboy ...

Absolutely the same in my case.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know there's the running joke about blue switches being heard from the space station, but how annoying are they actually to people sitting around you? I'm starting to get some dead springs on my came-with-the-PC keyboard, and all of the cheap mechanicals seem to be blue switches.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know there's the running joke about blue switches being heard from the space station, but how annoying are they actually to people sitting around you? I'm starting to get some dead springs on my came-with-the-PC keyboard, and all of the cheap mechanicals seem to be blue switches.

They're pretty high pitched so they tend to annoy people. Most switches cost about the same unless you're looking for a weird one, though.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Joking aside, I've got three people on my team with blues, and I'm genuinely thankful that they don't sit in the same pod as me. Previously, two of them sat side by side in the next pod over, and when I walked over to talk to somebody, the sound was distractingly loud. Meanwhile, the guy with clears in that same pod uses headphones all the time to drown the sound of them out, and I've gotten zero complaints with my blacks, even when I'm going 100 WPM and hammering the crap out of the board.

But with a cube wall between me and them, and a distance of about 30 feet, I don't even know they're typing, so it's not that awful. The key, I would say, is to talk with your peers about what they find acceptable noise-wise.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Rexxed posted:

They're pretty high pitched so they tend to annoy people. Most switches cost about the same unless you're looking for a weird one, though.

I mean the cheap pre-made mechanicals. Not the switches individually. It seems like everyone gushes over the blues despite complaining about how loud they are, so everyone makes cheap stuff with blues.

In this case it's my wife sitting about 4 feet away. Granted she's the loudest typist I've ever known, but two wrongs doesn't make a right.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Walk into Best Buy or Fry's or whatever's near you, find a board, and type on it. Make sure to bring your wife. Odds are good that you'll be able to find a Razer locally with the green switches, which are a close-enough reproduction of Cherry blues. Otherwise, see if they have a Corsair handy, last I knew those use Cherry, and they offer red/brown/blue. See what she thinks that way.

Edit: Expect that if you buy a cheap board, it WILL be louder than Razer/Corsair, and you'll be in a small room rather than a large, loud store. Keep those things in mind.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's funny, I actually just called Best buy and asked. They do have a couple mechanical ones out for testing.

Is the noise from a cheaper board the kind of thing o-rings can fix, or is it something else? And can o-rings make blues less clicky, or am I right in thinking that the click is from coming up and o-rings only help avoid noise from bottoming out? I know buying o-rings costs money, but not much.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
If noise is an issue that you'd consider using o-rings, then don't get blues. You're in the US, so I'm sure you'll be able to find cheaper mechs with reds or browns.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
There's also specialty "quiet" switches which work pretty well. Topre boards are also much less...expressive. The sound is more of a thock, like rain on a roof, than the sharp click of most switches. It's quite relaxing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I really like the Velocifire VM01. It's $40 from amazon US and it's got brown clones. Mine came with feet but it might be crapshoot because the photos show the back of the board without feet.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

The Azio MGK-1 with Kailh Browns I had for a few days is louder than the Cooler Master Masterkeys L PBT with Cherry blues I had the pleasure of trying out recently. I think it's because the Azio is a flat board with more exposed switches and thin as hell caps, and the CM is more enclosed with
much thicker caps. I don't think the wife would complain too much about the CM from across the room. I'm a heavy typist with linear and "tactile" though, slamming that board like a rubber dome. With blues or similar clickies I'm much more gentle. I'd love to try a board with Matis Quiet Clicks...

e: *much* thicker.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 14, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Tried a Corsair of some sort with browns and a Razer Chroma with Razer greens. Liked both of them. The browns were definitely easier to actuate (which is stating the obvious), and had a very obvious breakpoint, but the greens felt very satisfying and like it would be very easy to type quickly with them. I wonder how quickly I could type with them given that I get almost 100wpm with a membrane keyboard. The thing is that I don't really write anymore so 90% of my typing is shitposting on here, and you don't really need the ultimate in typing technology for that.

My wife said that since she's such a loud typist she wouldn't care at all what I got, but I wonder if she would change her mind once I got a keyboard with blues. There's a Redragon Kumara 552 for sale for $20 locally. That one is apparently extremely loud, though.

Is there really a significant difference between blues and reds/browns for gaming, or is that only if you're trying to be MLG pro?

I really like the idea of a $20 used keyboard since that would still leave me enough in my discretionary fund to buy a much needed shirt for the office, but I don't want to make her hate me and go back to one of the crappy keyboards. I also really want to find a TKL one since I never use my numpad and I could use the mouse space on my keyboard tray.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 14, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

The redragon is a good board.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My wife said that since she's such a loud typist she wouldn't care at all what I got, but I wonder if she would change her mind once I got a keyboard with blues. There's a Redragon Kumara 552 for sale for $20 locally. That one is apparently extremely loud, though.

I really like the idea of a $20 used keyboard since that would still leave me enough in my discretionary fund to buy a much needed shirt for the office, but I don't want to make her hate me and go back to one of the crappy keyboards. I also really want to find a TKL one since I never use my numpad and I could use the mouse space on my keyboard tray.

I was actually about to recommend you check out a Redragon board. I say jump on the $20 local one. I believe they use Outemu switches. While not generally regarded as top of the line or anything, they're by no means terrible either. I've read that their sound is pitched higher than Cherry MX Blues, so that might be why you've heard (hah) that they're extremely loud.

ActionExpress
Dec 28, 2002

mewse posted:

The redragon is a good board.

Yes I liked mine, but it was very loud. But for $20-30 you can't really beat it.

Been using a Ducky One 2 TKL with MX Silvers and I am enjoying it. Got a MK Typist with MX Browns for work which so far seems like a good board. Wanted a no frills, black keyboard that wouldn't be too loud and it seemed to fit the bill.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there really a significant difference between blues and reds/browns for gaming, or is that only if you're trying to be MLG pro?

No, it's bullshit marketing wank. The idea that you may push a key down slower with a click in the middle or have trouble quickly double tapping unless it's a linear switch is garbage. You'll do best with what you're used to. Speed switches with shorter travel and higher actuation points even come in clicky varieties and they basically exist to be "gaming" switches. The only real gaming downside would be if you're streaming and talking and people complain about the noise. If you're not streaming for a living this won't likely matter at all.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
The original reason for the invention of the rubber sheet membrane keyboard was to silence the keyboard for close quarters office space.

Keep that in mind when you think about sound.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Loud typing is the sound of getting poo poo done.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
what if i have those rings that silence tapping? am I being lazy then?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dizz posted:

what if i have those rings that silence tapping? am I being lazy then?

I can't hear you.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rings silence the bottom-out, not the click.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Rexxed posted:

Loud typing is the sound of getting poo poo done.

New thread title please.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

ActionExpress posted:

Got a MK Typist with MX Browns for work which so far seems like a good board. Wanted a no frills, black keyboard that wouldn't be too loud and it seemed to fit the bill.

Dang, that sounds almost perfect for a thing I'm working on. Wish they came in MX Clear though. Guess I could always start learning how to desolder and solder! :v:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’m not getting a reply on the Redragon, so I think he might have sold it and not removed the posting.

I’m also seeing the Velocifire TKL01 for $26 open box, HCMan 87 key blue switch for $22.50 open box, Bestek with black switches (can’t find any reviews on this) for $25, and a HCMan 87 key that might be black or blue switches (doesn’t say) for $27. All of those are open box / damaged box.

Or a new Redragon Kumara for $30 or so. Are any of those way better or complete trash?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I found a dirty old thing and cleaned it up:

I kinda like it. Enough to get an AT > PS/2 adapter. Maybe enough to also get a PS/2 to USB adapter.
It's tiny and super low profile. ~ is in a weird place, 2 alt keys and no windows key is not fantastic, and having the Fn on the left and small shift on the right is gonna take some getting used to but the ML switches are kinda neat. They're smooth but feel like they've got some heft to them.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
That's a neat looking little board. Nice find.

mewse
May 2, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’m not getting a reply on the Redragon, so I think he might have sold it and not removed the posting.

I’m also seeing the Velocifire TKL01 for $26 open box, HCMan 87 key blue switch for $22.50 open box, Bestek with black switches (can’t find any reviews on this) for $25, and a HCMan 87 key that might be black or blue switches (doesn’t say) for $27. All of those are open box / damaged box.

Or a new Redragon Kumara for $30 or so. Are any of those way better or complete trash?

I'd go with the velocifire if you want brown switches or the redragon kumara if you want blue switches.

Black switches are linear - no click, no tactility, similar to reds but a different stiffness.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, I think I’ll probably go with the Velocifire. I liked the browns a lot at the store and while the Razer greens were nice, I hear the Outemou blues are heavier and louder than standard blues. The greens already felt a bit heavy and I liked the browns about as much as the blues. The brown volume was also a lot lower which would be nice for voice chat while gaming.

And hey, if I don’t like it as much I can probably flip it for about $25 locally. TKL browns on a budget are hen’s teeth locally.

How’s the consistency on the browns? I heard they can be significantly uneven for actuation pressure on the Velocifire.

mewse
May 2, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How’s the consistency on the browns? I heard they can be significantly uneven for actuation pressure on the Velocifire.

I'd say that's bullshit. I have a velocifire full size and ducky one with genuine cherry browns and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the switches.

There are some significant things that stand out as $100 keyboard vs $40 keyboard, but the switches themselves are essentially the same.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I put some 2mm-thick craft foam inside the bottom of my K-Type, and it seems to have significantly reduced some noise. I used to get some vague pinging and internal echo when typing, but those are all gone now, leaving only a satisfying thocking sound as I type.

The process was really easy with the K-Type too. I removed the eight hex screws easily with a 3mm allen key to remove the base plate, then the white plastic LED diffuser pops out of the top case. I used the diffuser to trace out the rounded-rectangle shape of the foam, then cut it out with a knife. After a bit of trimming, the foam fits neatly inside the diffuser. I reassembled the case and used my knife to poke holes where the screws go, and then simply screwed everything back together.

I only had a bright green sheet of foam at home handy, and now it has the added benefit of really showing where to poke the flash mode button on the underside of the case.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That's actually a great idea. Probably would dampen a lot of boards that could use that.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Luckily the construction of the K-Type left a large contiguous volume of space that could be simply filled with foam. I did not have any success with the GMMK TKL, which could greatly benefit from some sound dampening. The bottom case had a bunch of extra plastic for structure, I guess, which didn't leave much space between the case and PCB for foam. :(

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Does the foam have any effect on the faint electrical whine of the LED circuitry?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Wondering the same. My number one problem with this keyboard is the whine when it's lit up. I've resigned myself to leaving it dark when I'm not just showing it off to people.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I've never heard the whine from my K-Type, so I couldn't say if it would reduce that sound. Guess I'm lucky :shobon:

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 18, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mewse posted:

I'd say that's bullshit. I have a velocifire full size and ducky one with genuine cherry browns and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the switches.

There are some significant things that stand out as $100 keyboard vs $40 keyboard, but the switches themselves are essentially the same.

Thanks. I pulled the trigger on it and found some other stuff I had been looking for too, so two birds and one stone. Looking forward to trying it out in a week when it gets here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks. I pulled the trigger on it and found some other stuff I had been looking for too, so two birds and one stone. Looking forward to trying it out in a week when it gets here.

Before you know it, you'll be selling things from your other hobbies to buy a rare Korean custom keyboard