Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
##vote Harold

That seems too specific to be uninformed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Got my role. Yeah, seems to be a lot of setup spec going on.

Harold Krell posted:

It is important to mention that the OP also mentions that this is a very role-lite mafia game, so it can even be fathomed that there may be no way of recruiting people at all.

Likewise, there exists the slim possibility of there being more than one third-party team. Me thinks there is at least one serial killer role and even the possibility of a werewolf-like role where the player switches from third-party alignment to town/scum depending on whether it's day or night, but this is only an initial d0 guess. :)

I agree this is pretty specific for the incredible lack of solid info town would have at this point.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

##vote Harold

Why would you make this assumption? If I was scum, how would it benefit me by explaining this out loud?

Dick Bastardly posted:

I agree this is pretty specific for the incredible lack of solid info town would have at this point.

I have played mafia games before that had weird role setups, even supposedly role-lite games. To say what I'm doing is wrong is to favor less posting from players, which is objectively wrong. It's day 0 and we can only speculate right now, but that's better than lurking.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cult recruit me ASAP tia

Also ##vote krell

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Retro Futurist posted:

Cult recruit me ASAP tia

Also ##vote krell

That's not nice :(

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Harold Krell posted:

Why would you make this assumption? If I was scum, how would it benefit me by explaining this out loud?

I have played mafia games before that had weird role setups, even supposedly role-lite games. To say what I'm doing is wrong is to favor less posting from players, which is objectively wrong. It's day 0 and we can only speculate right now, but that's better than lurking.

Uhh we should give the other players some time to participate; before accusing them of lurking. The entry length for this game has been pretty long. So I think it’d be pretty understandable to take a little bit to get in here

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

Dick Bastardly posted:

That's not nice :(

That's okay. That just looks to be a joke-vote. You can tell because it's just a one sentence supposedly "funny" (it's not) response followed by a vote.

It kinda really sucks that some people will just place votes willy-nilly at the start of the day to encourage a rushed lynch. And it really doesn't help when people dog-pile just for the sake of it either. :sigh:

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Dick Bastardly posted:

Got my role. Yeah, seems to be a lot of setup spec going on.

It all follows pretty logically from the OP. Mord has years' worth of modded games tracked on votefinder and none of them appear to include language about shifting alignments, so that's probably significant. Cults are the standard way to switch alignments, and most likely in a game described as very light on roles. There is at least one nightkill, and no other night actions, which means that anything that switches alignments does so in a way other than a night action.

Could also be a red herring and it's just votes and nightkills, but there's nothing that seems out of place in the train of thought.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Uhh we should give the other players some time to participate; before accusing them of lurking. The entry length for this game has been pretty long. So I think it’d be pretty understandable to take a little bit to get in here

You've completely misread my statement. Please read it again.

I said that the fact that people post to speculate at the very beginning does NOT make them more inclined to be scum. Of course it will takes some time before other players begin posting as well (although they SHOULD already have done so just to confirm their participation, this is a sensible request :shrug:).

I am not calling out lurkers right now, especially since the game just started a few hours ago. Please don't put words in my mouth and start spouting off how I'm attacking players that haven't even posted yet. Thank you.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Keane, on the other hand, has a very guilty look about him. We should vote for him.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
good morning

i don't know how useful setup spec will be yet but i dont see krells or aas posts as suspicious yet. gives us content, if thats all they've focused on by tomorrow then it may start to look suss.

i did not get this read at all

with the cult stuff, we may be dealing with one but we also might be seeing changes to the general rule list as a result of dbz. time will tell all.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

zzyzx posted:

Keane, on the other hand, has a very guilty look about him. We should vote for him.

Is it because he hasn't checked in yet?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

I don't know if the nod to the possibility of alignment changing is confirming that as a mechanicn beyond the strong suggestion, but I imagine it's going to turn reads in their head in short order.

So confirming! Let's play some mafia.

I'm going to plot out my victory strategy now.

This is a 15 player game.

If there's alignment changing there is probably a cult or a recruiter with some limited ability with a vote control win condition.

There's almost guaranteed to be 1 3P

Probably a 2 to 4 player scum team. If it's less than 3 scum, possibility for 2 3P, a survivor alongside a recruiter mayhap.

No player reads yet obviously, but I'll be looking to see how things for within this initial speculation.

##vote Harold

:rolleyes:

Setup spec is usually a hallmark of scum discussion as it gives no inferences to alignment and generates the illusion of content, but all this is just silly. It strikes me as pointless at worse. It doesn't seem very fair to Krell to call them out on this point when you started the line of discussion. I presume you're just stirring the pot?

Atomic Soda posted:

good morning

i don't know how useful setup spec will be yet but i dont see krells or aas posts as suspicious yet. gives us content, if thats all they've focused on by tomorrow then it may start to look suss.

i did not get this read at all

with the cult stuff, we may be dealing with one but we also might be seeing changes to the general rule list as a result of dbz. time will tell all.

this is a total non-comment and I don't like it. Why, as town, would you feel the need to chime in with this? ##vote Atomic Soda

Dick Bastardly posted:

Is it because he hasn't checked in yet?

Dicky Bee this is clearly a joke.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Somberbrero posted:

:rolleyes:

Setup spec is usually a hallmark of scum discussion as it gives no inferences to alignment and generates the illusion of content, but all this is just silly. It strikes me as pointless at worse. It doesn't seem very fair to Krell to call them out on this point when you started the line of discussion. I presume you're just stirring the pot?

this is a total non-comment and I don't like it. Why, as town, would you feel the need to chime in with this? ##vote Atomic Soda

Dicky Bee this is clearly a joke.

you're asking why i, as town, would post on the current topic of conversation? i'll break it down.

- i read aa's and krells comments on setup and i do not read either post as scum post at this stage, though its notable for aa to call krell out. i'm a bit suss of retro jumping on to vote krell

- i dont like irsmartlikerocks read of the krell post re: lurkers.

- during/after dbz there was some discussion of whether or not a general "this game may have alignment changes" note should be added to the general mafia rule set/op. i don't know whether this is the case this game or if we have alignment changes but given it was being discussed i thought i would note this.

i'm interested in why you think my post was a 'non-comment'.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Atomic Soda posted:

you're asking why i, as town, would post on the current topic of conversation? i'll break it down.

- i read aa's and krells comments on setup and i do not read either post as scum post at this stage, though its notable for aa to call krell out. i'm a bit suss of retro jumping on to vote krell

- i dont like irsmartlikerocks read of the krell post re: lurkers.

- during/after dbz there was some discussion of whether or not a general "this game may have alignment changes" note should be added to the general mafia rule set/op. i don't know whether this is the case this game or if we have alignment changes but given it was being discussed i thought i would note this.

i'm interested in why you think my post was a 'non-comment'.

Posting on the topic of conversation is one thing, but to post on the topic of conversation and not say anything meaningful about it is another.

as i'm typing this though i realize i'm being over-aggressive and misreading. mea culpa, retracted. i missed the original context of that smartrocks post.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Sorry I lost the time I should get a new WATCH.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Keane are you scum?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
What confused me a little bit was the talk about a werewolf style character. But even if Harold were scum, how would they know about a role that'd only really make sense as 3P? They'd have to be the 3P themselves which makes no sense to "speculate" the info out into the open.

Anyway, after doing some early reads, I'm still not 100% on Harold. But what strikes me as odd is how quickly people jumped on them. Their spec is really weird - but, more so than anything, it's not even really commenting on scum teams, in my opinion. It seems more of a really weird 3P speculation to me. Which a scum-team wouldn't really know about either.

What I think is, that this is a scum team trying to jump on a scumslip that doesn't exist. But I don't think it's AA, either. Their post is so short it feels like they didn't properly analyze Harold's post.

More so than anything Rock's post stands out to me, although I'm not quite sold on Retro either.

This just feels so grasping to me. This early there's literally nothing else to talk about other than setup spec, so I find the scum accusations on that front bogus anyway. But this post right here just feels... forced. As if trying to direct attention even more towards Harold, who made a weird post and already has some heat over it.

While I admit this part is grasping at straws, but them not voting Harold after clearly having read their posts and trying directing their attention their way may be an attempt at having a defense of "Well I didn't vote them!" if Harold should flip town.

It may be a bit early, but I don't really like what Rock's few posts so far have been trying to do.

As such, ##vote I R SMART LIKE ROCK

(This is how you vote correctly, right?)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

quote:

##vote I R SMART LIKE ROCK

Mafia edit

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Triple post to actually ##Vote I R SMART LIKE ROCK

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Somberbrero posted:

Posting on the topic of conversation is one thing, but to post on the topic of conversation and not say anything meaningful about it is another.

as i'm typing this though i realize i'm being over-aggressive and misreading. mea culpa, retracted. i missed the original context of that smartrocks post.

if you misread, why are you still voting for me?

quoting it won't work i think you'll need to repost w bolding if you want to vote.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

FIFTH TIMES THE CHARM, I'M GOOD AT MAFIA GUYS

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Yami Fenrir posted:

This just feels so grasping to me. This early there's literally nothing else to talk about other than setup spec, so I find the scum accusations on that front bogus anyway. But this post right here just feels... forced. As if trying to direct attention even more towards Harold, who made a weird post and already has some heat over it.

this also stood out to me, maybe scum looking for something to back up a case moving a bit too quickly. ##vote irsmartlikerock

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hello friends! And Harold!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Dick Bastardly posted:

Keane are you scum?

No I am have the most powerful town role.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Hal Incandenza posted:

Hello friends! And Harold!

Hi Hal, are you scum? If not who?

CCKeane posted:

No I am have the most powerful town role.

Oh ok, good

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I see what you guys mean about IRSLR grasping to shade krell. Krell was (obviously, I think) stating that he/she values set-up spec posts over no posts, and would rather do the former versus the latter. But IRSLR somehow tries to twist that against krell by making it look like a lurker call out.

Interesting.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Yami Fenrir posted:

What confused me a little bit was the talk about a werewolf style character. But even if Harold were scum, how would they know about a role that'd only really make sense as 3P? They'd have to be the 3P themselves which makes no sense to "speculate" the info out into the open.

Anyway, after doing some early reads, I'm still not 100% on Harold. But what strikes me as odd is how quickly people jumped on them. Their spec is really weird - but, more so than anything, it's not even really commenting on scum teams, in my opinion. It seems more of a really weird 3P speculation to me. Which a scum-team wouldn't really know about either.

What I think is, that this is a scum team trying to jump on a scumslip that doesn't exist. But I don't think it's AA, either. Their post is so short it feels like they didn't properly analyze Harold's post.

More so than anything Rock's post stands out to me, although I'm not quite sold on Retro either.

While I admit this part is grasping at straws, but them not voting Harold after clearly having read their posts and trying directing their attention their way may be an attempt at having a defense of "Well I didn't vote them!" if Harold should flip town.

It may be a bit early, but I don't really like what Rock's few posts so far have been trying to do.

As such, ##vote I R SMART LIKE ROCK

(This is how you vote correctly, right?)

So you don’t like the fact that I said we should give players some time to post? Harold’s next post is them saying everyone should have posted already as a courtesy

Harold Krell posted:

You've completely misread my statement. Please read it again.

I said that the fact that people post to speculate at the very beginning does NOT make them more inclined to be scum. Of course it will takes some time before other players begin posting as well (although they SHOULD already have done so just to confirm their participation, this is a sensible request :shrug:).

I am not calling out lurkers right now, especially since the game just started a few hours ago. Please don't put words in my mouth and start spouting off how I'm attacking players that haven't even posted yet. Thank you.

Anyway, I don’t think Harold is scum. I just don’t like that kind of behavior. We had a bunch of townies that got lynched due to timezone mismatches that made it seem like they were lurking in the dbz mafia 2 game and I don’t want a repeat

Also trying to get a vote going this early into the first day is kinda scummy

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

So you don’t like the fact that I said we should give players some time to post? Harold’s next post is them saying everyone should have posted already as a courtesy

I don't like your tortured attempt at misinterpreting what he's saying. Asking people to confirm their participation isn't wrong either.

Nutsack Rangoon
Mar 30, 2010

EVERYTHING IS NUMBERED HERE. THE MONSTER IS ZERO.
Hey I'm up in this let me know when joke phase is over

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Atomic Soda posted:

this also stood out to me, maybe scum looking for something to back up a case moving a bit too quickly. ##vote irsmartlikerock

your vote appears to have failed and added a vote to yourself, just fyi.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Nutsack Rangoon posted:

Hey I'm up in this let me know when joke phase is over

forever

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Krell’s very presence distorts reality and corrupts games at their source. He needs to be removed before anymore damage is done.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Dick Bastardly posted:

Hi Hal, are you scum? If not who?

Yes I am the scum good job DB.

Actually let me pore over the 40 posts in this game so I can definitively tell you the scum team hang on

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

OK done AA is the scum ##vote AA

good job team

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Somberbrero posted:

I always appreciate when someone posts like this, so thank you Somber

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I would also vote DB for telling us helpful things like "I got my role" and asking hard hitting incisive questions like "are you scum?"

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Hal Incandenza posted:

OK done AA is the scum ##vote AA

good job team

Was it this post?

I don't know if the nod to the possibility of alignment changing is confirming that as a mechanicn beyond the strong suggestion, but I imagine it's going to turn reads in their head in short order.

So confirming! Let's play some mafia.

I'm going to plot out my victory strategy now.

This is a 15 player game.

If there's alignment changing there is probably a cult or a recruiter with some limited ability with a vote control win condition.

There's almost guaranteed to be 1 3P

Probably a 2 to 4 player scum team. If it's less than 3 scum, possibility for 2 3P, a survivor alongside a recruiter mayhap.

No player reads yet obviously, but I'll be looking to see how things for within this initial speculation.

Or this one?

##vote Harold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Mostly the first one

• Locked thread