Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TV Zombie posted:

That Reika and Miyu match was awesome and so hard hitting. I'm guessing I'd have to subscribe to DDT watch more of the same?

TJP is worth the DDT Universe sub imo. While the roster as a whole isn't as athletic as Stardom's they make up for it with entertaining characters.

if you're in it for Reika only, be sure to check out her music with Lady Beard. I don't normally get excited about Idol music but Deadlift Lolita is just too fuckin wild to not talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

really didn't think oedo tai could get better but i expect brandi will take it to the next level in the popular consciousness, much like cody did for the once-tired bullet club

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Agreed. Cody has been knocking it out of the park lately, and while Brandi isn't Cody she has been part of what has gotten him over and has him to consult with. If it brings more attention to Stardom and Oedo Tai all the better.

For the most part I'm assuming Kagetsu and Hana in storyline understand that and wish to use her for those purposes. The betrayal (if I'm predicting the story right) is gonna be rad. I wonder if they're gonna start out pretending to care for her or if they're gonna just watch as she struggles and then laugh.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
The factions after tonight's draft matches for STARDOM were revealed. I'll say this much. Io is really bad at picking members for her faction.

Oedo Tai:

Kagetsu
Hana Kimura
Natsu Sumire
HZK
Nao Yamaguchi
Martina

Queen's Quest:

Queen’s Quest:
Io Shirai
AZM
Momo Watanabe
Bea Priestley
Chardonnay
Viper
Konami

STARDOM Army:

Mayu Iwatani
Saki Kashima
Starlight Kid
Tam Nakano
Natsumi
Shiki Shibusawa

It's worth noting that Team Jungle saved Kagetsu from being eliminated, and are pissed off about being left out, and also refuses to be a part of STARDOM Army. Io and Kagetsu refuse to draft them as well. Speaking of Io, she is real bad at this draft thing picking a bunch of part timers/people only here on excursion. However I guess Io's plan may be to expand Queen's Quest into Europe, and that's why she picked so many Euro people.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 15, 2018

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Just got back from my first live Tokyo Joshi Pro show. They don't come out to Osaka often and get pretty small-time venues when they do, so it was a bunch of not-too-consequential tags so everyone outside of Tokyo gets to see all their favorites (the only singles match was between two Up Up Girls), but it was still a great time. Hyper Misao and Priscilla Kelly were way more fun as a team than I expected; Yuu and Yuki Kamifuku vs. NEO Biishikigun ended exactly as everyone knew it would the moment it was announced; the main event - Miyu Yamashita, Reika Saiki and Marika Kobashi vs. Rika Tatsumi, Maho Kurone and Maki Ito - was clearly there to feed Yamashita and Tatsumi's upcoming Korakuen match but it had a pretty unexpected (to me) ending.

Stone Pitbull Nodoka Oneesan is even smaller in real life than she looks on TV.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

DarkstarIV posted:

The factions after tonight's draft matches for STARDOM were revealed. I'll say this much. Io is really bad at picking members for her faction.

I was definitely not expecting them to draft the whole roster.

Why the hell were the people on a tour picked as well? Are all the new women passing through going to get put into a group as well?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Go RV! posted:

Why the hell were the people on a tour picked as well? Are all the new women passing through going to get put into a group as well?

I'm curious as to whether there was anything said at the draft that might expand upon this, but I guess we'll have to wait for the video to go up to see. I certainly wasn't expecting it, but I'll admit that the idea of Kagetsu looking over everyone who was left and saying, "Martina. Welp, that should do it for us, smell ya later," while all the remaining full-time and established members of the roster look on in disbelief is pretty funny.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Touring talent normally get sat in factions. Viper was both a member of OedoTai and QQ. Some of the prematch promos run down the political wrangling that happens when factions want a particular talent.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

coconono posted:

Touring talent normally get sat in factions. Viper was both a member of OedoTai and QQ. Some of the prematch promos run down the political wrangling that happens when factions want a particular talent.

I've only been watching less than a year, but that definitely doesn't seem true, at least lately. Viper aside, there's been no other touring talent in a faction. I know a lot of foreign talent went to OT v1, but that's definitely not been true since Kagetsu took over.

I wouldn't have even questioned popular/frequent talent being drafted, like KLR, Toni or Xia, but Session Moth and Chardonnay is just sort of confusing? :shrug:

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Either way, if there's something to be taken away from this entire thing, its that both Io and Mayu are bad at this whole drafting thing. Especially Mayu. She picked all the jobbers and has to deal with a hostile Team Jungle on top of it all.

HZK is apparently VERY pissed that Io didn't pick her though, so I would expect her to get some sort of revenge against Io in the future, whether it be through an Oedo Tai beatdown or outright taking the White Belt.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Johnny Landmine posted:

I certainly wasn't expecting it, but I'll admit that the idea of Kagetsu looking over everyone who was left and saying, "Martina. Welp, that should do it for us, smell ya later," while all the remaining full-time and established members of the roster look on in disbelief is pretty funny.

My kayfabe explanation: Its hard to get drugs in Japan, but if anyone can be Oedo Tai's weed hookup it'd be Session Moth Martina. Meanwhile everyone else left was an obvious snitch.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I'm actually a little surprised and impressed that Stardom took her on instead of getting gunshy (weedshy?) about it like New Japan supposedly did with Matt Riddle.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Johnny Landmine posted:

I'm actually a little surprised and impressed that Stardom took her on instead of getting gunshy (weedshy?) about it like New Japan did with Matt Riddle.
Matt Riddle is very openly a weed enthusiast in a country where it's very illegal and nearly ruined Io Shirai's life. I don't know much about Session Moth outside of her gimmick but having her still coming to the ring and drinking beer and grinding on referees is a lot less problematic, I have no idea if she's any more or less likely to do something stupid than Evan Bourne was trying to do, but I've seen her twitter and insta and all she really does is play up the drinking $2 tall boy gimmick

e: And for a long time ACT showed up with non-gimmick rum and drank it/spat it at people so I don't see why they'd have a problem with that part of the gimmick

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 16, 2018

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Oh, if drinking $2 tallboys is problematic, then every single person in Japan is problematic. I'm pretty sure I've seen her make copious weed references on social media and a few fliers where she's shown smoking blunts (not necessarily weed but, like, come on), though, which is the part I thought they might trip over.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Johnny Landmine posted:

Oh, if drinking $2 tallboys is problematic, then every single person in Japan is problematic. I'm pretty sure I've seen her make copious weed references on social media and a few fliers where she's shown smoking blunts (not necessarily weed but, like, come on), though, which is the part I thought they might trip over.
I guess the difference comes down to Session Moth playing it up as a gimmick and maybe doing it recreationally versus people like Matt Riddle and RVD viewing it as a total lifestyle and part of who they are. For someone who does it recreationally, even every day it probably isn't too much of a deal to quit for a couple months when going to another country but if you're a massive activist like Riddle is, there's probably no give/take on that front

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if your name is session moth of course your gimmick is gonna involve tweeting about lots of stinking god darn drugs!

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
I'm thinking of going to another Stardom show in May, but I'm not sure if I should go to a second Shin-Kiba 1st Ring show (especially since it's not going to be as dreadfully hot in May as in July, plus Shin-Kiba is just about four miles away from where I live) or go to my first Korakuen Hall show ever. Thoughts?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

RealFoxy posted:

Matt Riddle is very openly a weed enthusiast in a country where it's very illegal and nearly ruined Io Shirai's life. I don't know much about Session Moth outside of her gimmick but having her still coming to the ring and drinking beer and grinding on referees is a lot less problematic, I have no idea if she's any more or less likely to do something stupid than Evan Bourne was trying to do, but I've seen her twitter and insta and all she really does is play up the drinking $2 tall boy gimmick

e: And for a long time ACT showed up with non-gimmick rum and drank it/spat it at people so I don't see why they'd have a problem with that part of the gimmick

She's mostly booze and grinding, tbh.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Auritech posted:

I'm thinking of going to another Stardom show in May, but I'm not sure if I should go to a second Shin-Kiba 1st Ring show (especially since it's not going to be as dreadfully hot in May as in July, plus Shin-Kiba is just about four miles away from where I live) or go to my first Korakuen Hall show ever. Thoughts?

Korakuen is a great venue if you've never been before and the matches should be bigger. I've only ever been in Shinkiba in the winter so I don't know hot it gets.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Auritech posted:

I've only been to one Stardom show but it was on Korakuen and I'd highly recommend it. Going to any show there would feel special and they will bring the bigger matches.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
As long as I get to see Martina do the Oedo Tai dance, this will all be worth it.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Careful Mayu! Jungle Kyona liked this tweet. She may be plotting something!

https://twitter.com/FadedEndless/status/985552348247478275

Also I don't think she's handling this too well.

https://twitter.com/junglekyona/status/985837788086988801

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

So after saying I was going to watch some for ages, I finally sat down and watched the SHIMMER 100 from 'Mania weekend and really enjoyed it. I saw that WWN Live has the Club WWN thing, but I can't seem to find out if the VODs for SHIMMER are on there (as I'd like to go back and watch some of the older stuff) and since that's the only thing I really care about (right now; I'd probably watch some of the other stuff eventually), it'd be nice to know before subscribing.

Of course, I've seen people saying Club WWN isn't worth it, so I'm looking for wrassle goons' opinions as well.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
I'm not 100% sure, but if there is any SHIMMER on there it would only be the previous WrestleMania shows. Dave Prazak has hinted that SHIMMER shows will be on some streaming service or another in the near future (especially since they're backlogged 20 DVDs at this point).

Speaking of SHIMMER , here are results and some notes from the weekend:

RISE

-Removed from her stable in Australia, the Facebrooke gimmick *really* doesn't translate
-I wish Saraya Knight vs. Joey Ryan at RISE was a better match, but nothing of note really happened until they both beat up Andy Long afterwards
-Kevin Harvey calling out that he oversold the building on a SHIMMER weekend was kind of a dick move.
-Mercedes Martinez mocking a child with cancer and then winning her match against Taya Valkyrie is maybe some of the worst booking I've ever witnessed.
-I wonder how co-promoting their big tag team supershow in July with Impact will go over
-Zoe Lucas' gauntlet match was pretty dumb, but she's awesome
-The live broadcast of the show never got started, but I'm guessing the commentary team of Veda Scott and Alysin Kay is worth watching the VOD

SHIMMER 101 & 102

-Half the roster having the flu really impacted the match quality and how much of the roster was available for every show, but everybody gave it everything they had
-This was probably Cheerleader Melissa's best weekend as far as match quality since she won the title for the second time
-Su Yung returning was a genuinely surprising moment and considering how long it's been since she's been at SHIMMER, it's clear how much she's improved
-Seeing Kris Wolf live really hammers home how much more energy she has than anybody else in the building. She's a joy to watch.

SHIMMER 103 & 104

-It was probably too soon for Shazza to lose the Heart of SHIMMER title and losing it to Dust was a weird, bad decision. Hopefully Shazza gets a shot at the Mae Young Classic this year.
-Also, for making such a big re-debut the day before, Su Yung lost a title shot and then didn't do much in a six way match on the two tapings. I wish she would've won the six way.

-Even if it was just for one night, seeing the reunion of the Minnesota Home Wrecking Crew felt right.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

coconono posted:

TJP is worth the DDT Universe sub imo. While the roster as a whole isn't as athletic as Stardom's they make up for it with entertaining characters.

if you're in it for Reika only, be sure to check out her music with Lady Beard. I don't normally get excited about Idol music but Deadlift Lolita is just too fuckin wild to not talk about.

I thought that both wrestlers in the main event were so impressive with their hard strikes that I'd want to watch more of both, hopefully together in other matches.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Both Reika and Miyu have very recently had good (albeit short) singles matches against Marika Kobashi, which might be a good next step for both of them. The three of them tagged together last weekend to build to Miyu's next defense, but I dunno if video's online yet or not. Most of Reika and Miyu's Princess of Princess title defenses are also really solid (subliminal message: watch Yuu's too, Yuu is great). TJPW only has a handful of workers of Miyu and Reika's caliber, but all the Good Wrestlers do a good job putting on compelling matches with the "lower tier" ladies. (I only call them that for lack of a better word, since TJPW is so heavily focused on characters and pretty much everyone brings their A game as far as that goes).

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I was a big fan of the Miyu Yamashita vs. Maho Kurone match earlier in the year. Maho's gimmick is a zombie and she plays up to it in matches so fair warning if that isn't your thing.

Miyu had a really good match with Meiko Satomura last summer that's worth looking for too.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My head was buried in my hands the whole dancer beats cancer segment.

I loved seeing Kris in person.

Also the submission match was great.

Kimber as a heel sure is weird.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://twitter.com/GlowNetflix/status/986605726712807424?s=19

Save the date.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/986985989368233984

Tournament is April 30. Lots of real interesting inter-faction matches here.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

So what’s the point of this drafting factions thing? It just seems like a pointless booking obstacle but I admittedly watch Stardom sparingly.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

sportsgenius86 posted:

So what’s the point of this drafting factions thing? It just seems like a pointless booking obstacle but I admittedly watch Stardom sparingly.

I have no clue. I guess they wanted to shake things up? I mean its a moot point since the factions can boot/invite people from their factions as they see fit. They could also be building up some matches for Io. HZK is pissed she isn't in Queen's Quest right now (and that Io passed her over), and she's one of the favorites to take the White Belt from Io. Kagetsu is the other. Its like...the entire premise of Queen's Quest is people who don't really trust each other and would stab each other in the back if it meant getting a title reign/dethroning Io.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Basically, it's a way to do some roster shakeups. Japan loves its factions :shrug:. Hell, look at New Japan. Most of the big names are part of Chaos, Bullet Club, LIJ or Suzuki-gun. It's easy booking, you can just toss two factions at each other as a filler match on a card, and it works towards a bigger story.

The draft changes relationships around some, and that's a good thing. There's only so many times that you can do QQ vs OT, especially after the big climactic match where they lost Tam. It gives OT some interesting storylines, introduces a new faction (Stars) and reframes Team Jungle. My gut is Kyona is getting a heel push soon.

DarkstarIV posted:

Its like...the entire premise of Queen's Quest is people who don't really trust each other and would stab each other in the back if it meant getting a title reign/dethroning Io.
Io picked AZM and Momo above her, so I imagine that's why she's pissed. Also that her and Hana don't particularly like each other, and now she's stuck with her.

In post-draft Oedo Tai news, Oedo Tai is getting creepy. Hana continues to be unwell. HZK is now Hazuki.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
One of the better promos in the Wrestling this year
https://twitter.com/InsaneChampWres/status/987284797461540864

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/ProWrestlingEVE/status/987432097131520001?s=19

If you've got any Fite credit left over from Wrestlemania weekend, this looks like a good card

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Baron Corbyn posted:

https://twitter.com/ProWrestlingEVE/status/987432097131520001?s=19

If you've got any Fite credit left over from Wrestlemania weekend, this looks like a good card

fair warning, this will be their first time live streaming but I'm sure they're testing the poo poo out of it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Toni/Mayu has finally been uploaded and it's really good. Not as good as Io/Momo or Miyu/Reika but I really enjoyed it. The callbacks from Toni to Mayu injuring herself last year were really well done and I loved Mayu's selling of the Strong Zero. Jungle Kyona/Viper was pretty good too. I haven't checked out any of the other Dreamslam stuff yet but I'd definitely suggest going out of your way for at least Toni/Mayu.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Today in STARDOM news, there was only one real notable moment from the show.

After Io retained (to the shock of no one), Oedo Tai came in for a beatdown on her. Hazuki/HZK refused to join in as part of it, but Nao happily joined in on the attack on Io.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

TheHock posted:

I'm not 100% sure, but if there is any SHIMMER on there it would only be the previous WrestleMania shows. Dave Prazak has hinted that SHIMMER shows will be on some streaming service or another in the near future (especially since they're backlogged 20 DVDs at this point).

So I went ahead and got the ClubWWN sub, and while SHIMMER isn't on there, Shine is. They do still have the majority of the SHIMMER shows as VODs, but at $15 a pop it gets a bit pricey.

What is the usual release schedule for the non-Mania shows though? Are they only still doing DVDs or do they do more VODs now?

Trying to find answers on the internet has been hard oddly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Rovert now that Tessa is on Impact, when is she going to NXT