Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 6.35mm (female) to 3.5mm (male) adapter? I've got Sennheiser HD 558 and bent the crap out of it on my computer today. Ran over to Best Buy and they only have the opposite and don't feel like driving out to a Guitar Center.

Saw Monoprice sells one but the reviews seem lackluster. Would a generic one work or are adapters something where quality matters?

Also gently caress Sennheiser for their stupid 2.5mm jack that requires the stupid lock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Niwrad posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 6.35mm (female) to 3.5mm (male) adapter? I've got Sennheiser HD 558 and bent the crap out of it on my computer today. Ran over to Best Buy and they only have the opposite and don't feel like driving out to a Guitar Center.

Saw Monoprice sells one but the reviews seem lackluster. Would a generic one work or are adapters something where quality matters?

Also gently caress Sennheiser for their stupid 2.5mm jack that requires the stupid lock.

this sennheiser cable adapter does the trick

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

$20 though! I think I'd rather buy a replacement cord that doesn't have the 6.35mm adapter at the end for less.

Would there be a big difference in the Sennheiser adapter and a cheap Monoprice one like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-3-5mm-Stereo-6-35mm-Adaptor/dp/B003R70OA4/

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Niwrad posted:

$20 though! I think I'd rather buy a replacement cord that doesn't have the 6.35mm adapter at the end for less.

Would there be a big difference in the Sennheiser adapter and a cheap Monoprice one like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-3-5mm-Stereo-6-35mm-Adaptor/dp/B003R70OA4/

from my experience, a cable based adapter solution is better because those adapters have a bad tendency to have their 3.5mm jack ends break off in your gear. that's part of the reason why they're rated so poorly.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Fundamentally they're just a piece of metal (though the cheap ones breaking in equipment sounds possible, but like, don't yank on them). Sonically there's no difference, it's just a trs jack hooked up to different sized plug.

Also, if you're hard on cables, cable adapters can and will break in the same way.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

so I ordered those "Used - Good" condition Sennheiser HD800S's from Amazon a couple of days ago for $954.

they came in today, and I'm still shocked at how good of a buy this was for TOTL headphones. the cans are in mint condition, as are the cables, and the main box. the only thing in poor condition was the cardboard box outside of it. that's it.

edit: my current cans, plan on selling everything else now.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 13, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

5-HT posted:

so I ordered those "Used - Good" condition Sennheiser HD800S's from Amazon a couple of days ago for $954.

they came in today, and I'm still shocked at how good of a buy this was for TOTL headphones. the cans are in mint condition, as are the cables, and the main box. the only thing in poor condition was the cardboard box outside of it. that's it.

Oh yeah amazon warehouse deals have always been spot on for me. I’ve managed to save a good chunk of change getting new stuff from there. I always check that first to see what they have. (Snagged a $999 drone for $799). It can be hit or miss but always worth a look.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ve been burned by Warehouse deals enough that I stay cautious. I bought a welder marked as “very good” that was missing accessories and had been dropped hard enough that the entire frame was cockeyed. No love from customer service.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Lube banjo posted:

Have you looked at Audio-GD?

Have you looked at Audio-GD?

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-audio-gd-nfb-27-38-dac-and-headphone-amplifier.2486/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

I’ve been burned by Warehouse deals enough that I stay cautious. I bought a welder marked as “very good” that was missing accessories and had been dropped hard enough that the entire frame was cockeyed. No love from customer service.
Can’t you just return it?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Josh Lyman posted:

Can’t you just return it?

CS insisted because it was Warehouse, blemishes were to be expected, so I’d have to pay return shipping if I wasn’t happy. It was pretty heavy so I didn’t bother.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I decided to try my friend’s pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 wireless cans, and I really like them. They’re noticeably heavier than my Bose QC35 II, but much nicer sounding. They’re also £50 cheaper. I think I may send my new Bose cans back and just get a pair of these instead, as I value sound quality over noise cancelling (which the Momentum 2 also does, just not as well).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I want to swim with my phone while listening to music/podcasts.

I have a waterproof phone but it only has USB-C and no audio jack. I already have waterproof normal headphones. Is there such a thing as a waterproof USB-C headphone adapter? Or waterproof USB-C headphones?

I also own "waterproof" bluetooth headphones, which indeed don't break when wet, however the frequency bluetooth signal uses cannot travel more than an inch or two underwater.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

I'm not saying that guy is a complete buffoon, but if he can't find the amanero drivers and get them to work properly he might not be qualified to write such a scathing review.

quote:

They buy and OEM usb module called "Amanero" and hence that designation above. A reboot and multiple connection/disconnection did not make a difference. There are no drivers on Audio-gd web site. They send you to a web page for that module which I did not go to. Audio-gd says this is UAC Class 2 compliant and works without drivers on Mac and Linux. They need to test this on Windows and fix whatever bug there is.

Alternatively, just google Amanero Drivers

Setset fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 13, 2018

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Lube banjo posted:

I'm not saying that guy is a complete buffoon, but if he can't find the amanero drivers and get them to work properly he might not be qualified to write such a scathing review.

Alternatively, just google Amanero Drivers

Agree or not, Amir was a department head at Microsoft who was heavily involved in WASAPI and the current state of audio handling in Windows. He is majorly concerned about whether devices are class-compliant and will continue to work fully once custom drivers stop being updated.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

eddiewalker posted:

Agree or not, Amir was a department head at Microsoft who was heavily involved in WASAPI and the current state of audio handling in Windows. He is majorly concerned about whether devices are class-compliant and will continue to work fully once custom drivers stop being updated.

One thing i love about my klipsch heritage headphone amp vs my origen micca is i plugged it into windows 10 and the loving thing just worked. Dont know if id buy another dac that didn't "just work"

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Have had my Beyerdynamic DT770s for a week now and so far I’m pretty happy with them.

Almost no bleed out or bleed in while sound quality is crisp. Pretty happy with them so far.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

While ASR is a useful site, it's important to keep in mind the limitations of measurements. Measurements often tell you about edge cases but not how well a device actually performs for typical listening. That especially holds true for amps.

The O2 amp is a classic example of this. In terms of distortion and linear volume it measures well, but in practice it's clearly lacking in detail compared to other amps even in the price range, and it tends to sound artificially loud and fatiguing in any passage of music. It's also very lacking in the power department. Yet everyone on r/headphones says that's all you need, while angrily pointing to the O2 doing perfect square waves, and there are folks at ASR that claim to be fully content running Aeon Flows off of them (my ears hurt just thinking about that).

It's the sort of thing I would classify as "objectivist snake-oil", overextending the implications of a measurement without applying the same skepticism towards its value. The tech equivalent is like someone pointing to Internet Explorer getting a good score on Sunspider and saying "aha, clearly it's the fastest then"! You can design dacs and amps to handle edge cases perfectly and then suck for general listening unfortunately, which makes all of this more difficult than it has to be.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 13, 2018

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
So I recently got a new job that requires me to make/take occasional VOIP calls with a USB headset. The headset that was provided to me is made by Sennheiser and is actually pretty nice but it's REALLY uncomfortable on conference calls that last 30 minutes to an hour because they're 'on ear' headphones. I use this headset enough at this new job to warrant buying a more comfortable.

I only need the headset for voice so I don't care about sound quality at all really. I've been eyeing a number of those $20-$25 'over the ear' usb "gaming" headsets on Amazon. For a sub $30 budget does anyone have a recommendation?

They all pretty much look the same to me tbh.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

64bit_Dophins posted:

So I recently got a new job that requires me to make/take occasional VOIP calls with a USB headset. The headset that was provided to me is made by Sennheiser and is actually pretty nice but it's REALLY uncomfortable on conference calls that last 30 minutes to an hour because they're 'on ear' headphones. I use this headset enough at this new job to warrant buying a more comfortable.

I only need the headset for voice so I don't care about sound quality at all really. I've been eyeing a number of those $20-$25 'over the ear' usb "gaming" headsets on Amazon. For a sub $30 budget does anyone have a recommendation?

They all pretty much look the same to me tbh.

you're not going to get anything decent for sub $30 because the mic quality on them is just terrible. closest thing is going to be a used/refurbished Steel Series Arctis 3.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Bodyholes posted:

While ASR is a useful site, it's important to keep in mind the limitations of measurements. Measurements often tell you about edge cases but not how well a device actually performs for typical listening. That especially holds true for amps.

The O2 amp is a classic example of this. In terms of distortion and linear volume it measures well, but in practice it's clearly lacking in detail compared to other amps even in the price range, and it tends to sound artificially loud and fatiguing in any passage of music. It's also very lacking in the power department. Yet everyone on r/headphones says that's all you need, while angrily pointing to the O2 doing perfect square waves, and there are folks at ASR that claim to be fully content running Aeon Flows off of them (my ears hurt just thinking about that).

It's the sort of thing I would classify as "objectivist snake-oil", overextending the implications of a measurement without applying the same skepticism towards its value. The tech equivalent is like someone pointing to Internet Explorer getting a good score on Sunspider and saying "aha, clearly it's the fastest then"! You can design dacs and amps to handle edge cases perfectly and then suck for general listening unfortunately, which makes all of this more difficult than it has to be.

Is this a serious post or a joke?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
First, there is very little substantive knowledge on r/headphones in general, but the O2 is popular because it works and accomplishes it’s one goal: produce more power to headphones that need it.

I own an O2. It’s no frills, and doesn’t add much color. I’d use it more if not for the poor ergonomics and input placement on the original layout.

All of Amir’s measurements are done within the range and context of human hearing, so I’m not sure what point you’re making about the real world application of his numbers. Personally, I’m glad someone is finally doing what he’s doing.

I’ve been in the headfi game for a couple decades, and it’s ground breaking to have his kind of data on hardware. I think trying to make purchasing decisions based solely on the flowery subjective audio in-language and metaphoric adjectives sucks.

I will meet you at a middle ground and say: there are distortions and harmonics that our brains find pleasing. Those are difficult to measure and test objectively, so there will be likable hardware that looks bad on a scope. If you’re someone who wants that, you’re going to be stuck searching forums for wine metaphors like HeadFi circa 2008.

I’m pretty firmly in the objective camp, but I mix 200 events a year on a Calrec Artemis feeding Genelecs. I know objectively good can also sound good.

That said: I’m a day into owning the RME ADI-2 DAC and I’m totally in love. I’ve got to pore over the manual a bunch more though.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 13, 2018

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

5-HT posted:

you're not going to get anything decent for sub $30 because the mic quality on them is just terrible. closest thing is going to be a used/refurbished Steel Series Arctis 3.

Looks great honestly I think I'm gonna cop.

Are the mics on those cheapo gaming headsets really that bad? Would my coworkers notice on the phone?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bodyholes posted:

you are absolutely loving nuts.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

First, there is very little substantive knowledge on r/headphones in general, but the O2 is popular because it works and accomplishes it’s one goal: produce more power to headphones that need it.

I own an O2. It’s no frills, and doesn’t add much color. I’d use it more if not for the poor ergonomics and input placement on the original layout.

I have an O2 as well. Rather disappointed by it, but I bought into the r/headphones hype. Going back and forth between it and my XDuoo XD-05, which is in the same price bracket, I feel the XDuoo has more microdetail. The O2 has a blacker background and sense of attack. Way too much attack though, as if every song is loud somehow, no matter what it is. Never before knew there could be such a thing. It's a very strange quality.

quote:

All of Amir’s measurements are done within the range and context of human hearing, so I’m not sure what point you’re making about the real world application of his numbers. Personally, I’m glad someone is finally doing what he’s doing.

I’ve been in the headfi game for a couple decades, and it’s ground breaking to have his kind of data on hardware. I think trying to make purchasing decisions based solely on the flowery subjective audio in-language and metaphoric adjectives sucks.

Well yeah, like I said before, I think it is a very good resource, and I've enjoyed the immense dissection of poor engineering. I think DAC measurements are pretty useful at the end of the day. Especially when big name companies are making 16-bit DACs with clipping issues for $500+ it's very good to have watchdogs calling that bullshit out.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you are absolutely loving nuts.

don't sign your posts

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bodyholes posted:

I have an O2 as well. Rather disappointed by it, but I bought into the r/headphones hype. Going back and forth between it and my XDuoo XD-05, which is in the same price bracket, I feel the XDuoo has more microdetail. The O2 has a blacker background and sense of attack. Way too much attack though, as if every song is loud somehow, no matter what it is. Never before knew there could be such a thing. It's a very strange quality

yeah no i'm doubling down, you're ultra nuts

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yeah no i'm doubling down, you're ultra nuts

Here's an interesting thing to digest, which I actually encountered on ASR (and wish I had a long time ago).

https://www.neurochrome.com/o2-headphone-amp/

quote:

After listening to the O2 for the better part of a week I have a decidedly ‘meh’ feeling about it. I would call it decent, but not good, and certainly not stellar or high end. I find the presentation hazy and muddy across the audio range. The O2 lacks the precision of a good semiconductor amp and it doesn’t make up for it by being engaging or adding an “out of the head” experience like a good tube amp would. At one point I actually found myself wondering if it sounded better or about the same as the stock headphone output of my iPhone 5S.

I used my Sennheiser HD-650 headphones for the test. They’re easy to drive, so the O2 had every chance to shine.

The noise floor and residual mains hum of the O2 is impressively low. This is where the O2 shines. Some of the other measurements did show some localized bright spots as well. Unfortunately, when examining the graphs in full the shine quickly fades. The high distortion at even moderate power levels is disappointing and the IMD is lacklustre as well. This is also very likely the reason I found the O2 to be unimpressive in actual listening tests.

Due to the amplifier’s erratic behaviour as the battery runs low, I would not trust my headphones to it unless the batteries were freshly charged and the listening session kept reasonably short (a few hours). Thus, if you build or buy this amp, I recommend running it using the supplied AC adapter.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
who the heck even runs an O2 on batteries?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

5-HT posted:

edit: my current cans, plan on selling everything else now.

When did you get your lcd-x? Seems like they JUST changed to that headband or did you buy it separately? Apparently all but the lcd3 vegans are getting it. Wonder how it compares to my carbon headband.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Are there any good options for bluetooth iem's that support aac? Right now I'm just using shure se215's with the shure bt cable, so I'm stuck using sbc all the time. It's fine for podcasts and things like that but I'd like to be able to use a better audio codec for music. I feel like everything I've looked at only supports apt-x, but all of my audio players are apple so I need aac.

I know I could always just get airpods but I would prefer an actual iem for the sound isolation.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

When did you get your lcd-x? Seems like they JUST changed to that headband or did you buy it separately? Apparently all but the lcd3 vegans are getting it. Wonder how it compares to my carbon headband.

just this within this past month. can't make a comparison of this steel headband vs the carbon fiber but I can say that I honestly prefer it to any of the headbands on my other headphones because it distributes weight so well on my big head.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

5-HT posted:

just this within this past month. can't make a comparison of this steel headband vs the carbon fiber but I can say that I honestly prefer it to any of the headbands on my other headphones because it distributes weight so well on my big head.

Ahh ok yea. I tweeted them about it and they said the change just happened this month. Is your balanced cable still the flat one or is that braided as well? I know the quarter inch is braided now. Mines a 2016 pair with new drivers so both my cables are the flat ribbon.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

astr0man posted:

Are there any good options for bluetooth iem's that support aac? Right now I'm just using shure se215's with the shure bt cable, so I'm stuck using sbc all the time. It's fine for podcasts and things like that but I'd like to be able to use a better audio codec for music. I feel like everything I've looked at only supports apt-x, but all of my audio players are apple so I need aac.

I know I could always just get airpods but I would prefer an actual iem for the sound isolation.

Beats X unless you mean no-cord earbuds in which case just get AirPods. I'm pretty happy with mine but I don't use them in critical listening environments so I can't really give you an informed opinion on sound quality. They are good enough that I can hear the difference between random download tracks and 256 AACs on my phone.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Ahh ok yea. I tweeted them about it and they said the change just happened this month. Is your balanced cable still the flat one or is that braided as well? I know the quarter inch is braided now. Mines a 2016 pair with new drivers so both my cables are the flat ribbon.

i picked up the creator's edition, so I don't have a balanced cable, just a braided 1/4 inch. it's a nice little touch having them braided though since it does make cable management easier.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
hey fellas the right side of my sony mdr 7506s died after only two years and im very sad as i loved my earphones very dearly and they were working just fine yesterday. i kinda want to buy them again (or try the mdr v6s) but im thinking im might want to grab something a little more durable. is there a good pair of earphones at around 100$ that are known to last or are earphones just made to be flimsy?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
They're super easy to rewire, and parts are easily available. I would fix them. In fact if the headband and cups are worn you could replace the whole assembly for $20 if you wanna spruce em up: https://www.trewaudio.com/product/sony-7506-hdbandcup/

If you're handy enough you should really throw a 3.5mm jack in there too, it makes them much better for portable use.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4RcQIwCkfc

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Any recommendations on a pair of IEMs with really good bass response, flatish mids, non-piercing highs? Ive got 4 pairs of Velodyne Vpulse and they rock but are made like poo poo and die eventually. I've tried a bunch of other good-rated IEMs and their bass response is sad compared to the vpulse. I don't mean BASSHEAD OMG nothing but bass type tuning, more just something that can dip down to subwoofer lows with no effort.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Thinking about picking up some over-ears for my desk at home. Current headphones are a pair of SE215s, which I quite like, but they get uncomfortable when I'm sitting still. Isolation not required, so I'm leaning towards open backs, source is going to be Spotify more often than not, budget up to $200. Any thoughts on the Massdrop x Sennheisers, or recommendations for headphones that wouldn't need amp'd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ItBreathes posted:

Thinking about picking up some over-ears for my desk at home. Current headphones are a pair of SE215s, which I quite like, but they get uncomfortable when I'm sitting still. Isolation not required, so I'm leaning towards open backs, source is going to be Spotify more often than not, budget up to $200. Any thoughts on the Massdrop x Sennheisers, or recommendations for headphones that wouldn't need amp'd?

If you're okay with never wearing the headphones around your neck because they will break, Hifiman HE400i can be had for $180

just search for hifiman on slickdeals