Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
The SPHL did their playoff selection show tonight. The matchups:

#1 Peoria picked #8 Roanoke
#2 Macon picked #6 Evansville
#3 Pensacola picked #5 Knoxville
#4 Huntsville is left with #7 Mississippi

So a little shakeup. A mild surprise that Peoria didn't pick Evansville, they beat the Thunderbolts in 10 out of 13 matchups this year, but they did win 4 out 5 against Roanoke and Roanoke's building isn't available for their 1st round game so it will be played in Lynchburg instead. Macon went with the team they had the best record against as did Pensacola, who may lose a home game if the series makes it to game 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
I was in the between-benches box for the Moose Jaw Warriors and Swift Current Broncos centre ice tribute to the Humboldt Broncos, and guys, you will never, ever hear the functioning of an air conditioning system more clearly than that night.
It was dead silent from the second the lights went down and Brett Howden of the Warriors and Glenn Gawdin of the Broncos skated to centre ice. The loudest thing in the building? The sound of the players skates as they slowed to stop to join the circle.
It stayed that way until after the national anthem.
Here's a photo from the start of it. That's the Warriors and Broncos leadership group. No emotion there, none at all.
https://ibb.co/jWFewc

acejackson42 fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 9, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ECHL/status/983502742734983168

let us go the god damned toledo walleye :coolfish:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The SPHL did their pick your opponent playoff draft yesterday, and surprisingly it wasn't exactly the same as if they'd just seeded it the usual way.

#1 Peoria Rivermen vs. #8 Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs

#2 Macon Mayhem vs. #6 Evansville Thunderbolts

#3 Pensacola Ice Flyers vs. #5 Knoxville Ice Bears

#4 Huntsville Havoc vs. #7 Mississippi RiverKings

No one wanted to play Mississippi despite the fact they finished 7th. That's awesome, and part of me really wants to see the NHL adopt the same system.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Knoxville just got the Wayne Gretzky of the SPHL back (he still looked really good in beer league over the summer): http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=33805

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Geekie has switched over to Beginner difficulty in NHL 18!
https://twitter.com/TheWHL/status/983905730708234241

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
gently caress man I really want the Royals to win a game at Tri-Cities so I can at least go to one playoff game this year (game 5 in Vic) as I haven't been able to get to a game so far this postseason.

But Tri-Cities are looking seriously good. The sweep of Kelowna was unexpected and now they're about to go up 3-0 on Vic. Rasmussen has looked pretty dominant. The Royals can't complete with their size at all. But yeah, please win game 4 Victoria so I can go to game 5.

edit: Victoria scores 5 goals in the 3rd period but still loses 6-5... gah

goldrush fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 11, 2018

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

a us division team will win the ed chynoweth cup

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

T-Bone posted:

Knoxville just got the Wayne Gretzky of the SPHL back (he still looked really good in beer league over the summer): http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=33805

Hell yeah, glad that dude is still playing

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Oh hell yea

https://twitter.com/bdnwheatkings/status/984049182808989696

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The Fronts are up 3-2 and, if they win tonight, will be only the second Fronts team to make the conference finals. The other team was the 93 team which you can see here featuring Chris Gratton, Craig Rivet, and teeny tiny Brett Lindros.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

The Fronts are up 3-2 and, if they win tonight, will be only the second Fronts team to make the conference finals. The other team was the 93 team which you can see here featuring Chris Gratton, Craig Rivet, and teeny tiny Brett Lindros.

As a soon to be resident of Simcoe County I gotta root for Barrie here, but I'm happy for you and the Fronts if they advance. Of course they'll be swept in the finals just because but it's nice to think they could make it there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LET US GO THE FISH

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Fronts... win?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Toledo/Indy in 1st OT, and Manchester/Reading in double OT

hell yeah echl OT

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:siren: FISH WIN IN DOUBLE OT :siren:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

As a soon to be resident of Simcoe County

A Canucks fan moving here? Just how strong are your antidepressants?

Hand Knit posted:

Fronts... win?

They earned it. Barrie played like poo poo and Kingston capitalized on every drat chance that was coughed up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ECHL/status/984998807007125504

Bike Lane Closed
May 26, 2006

Mistakes were made
Not to get all CanPol up ITT but I've put my stick out, i wore my jersey to work, what else is going to satisfy this idolization of the Broncos?

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

nature6pk posted:

Not to get all CanPol up ITT but I've put my stick out, i wore my jersey to work, what else is going to satisfy this idolization of the Broncos?

I figure, say, another $11.5M in donations to the gofundme account?

Shite is raw, mang. This is the kind of disaster that is just beyond comprehension. It's going everywhere and it's going to be everywhere, forever.
That Swift Current Broncos crash comes up every single anniversary, and that horrific thing now looks quaint to what happened to Humboldt.
I mean, we haven't even started on who was sitting where, that's going to be a major angle.
(Note, no one was sitting anywhere. They had started changing into their suits for the walk-in to the rink.)
They still have to (possibly) field a team next season.
If you think it's still bad now, you better wait until the thing start ramping up for next season in August.
This isn't going away for a very, very long time.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

A Canucks fan moving here? Just how strong are your antidepressants?

If Leafs fans could live here for a decade of darkness and not succumb to the Overlook fever then I suppose I can too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/billmeltzer/status/985144054857027584

:stare:

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Carter hart isn’t fair, for people not familiar with the western hockey league the US division was the strongest in the league and Portland has a lot of scoring talent that just couldn’t get anything past him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

inferis posted:

Carter hart isn’t fair, for people not familiar with the western hockey league the US division was the strongest in the league and Portland has a lot of scoring talent that just couldn’t get anything past him.

Regular season he had 41 games with a 1.60 GAA and .947sv%. He's been a cheat code.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

It just shows how bad Kevin Constantine was for Everett that they couldn’t win with Hart. He was indirectly responsible for auston matthews not going to the whl too

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

inferis posted:

It just shows how bad Kevin Constantine was for Everett that they couldn’t win with Hart. He was indirectly responsible for auston matthews not going to the whl too

Do tell, that's the first I heard about this

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

He missed the last 10 minutes of the 2nd because he was throwing up. He was apparently sick all day and was still ridiculous.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Do tell, that's the first I heard about this

Basically Everett got the rights to Matthews in the WHL, but they played a really boring terrible trap and never made it out of the second round so when they got the rights he explored other options. His agent was on 31 thoughts podcast and sort of danced around admitting it directly. The other factor is that there’s a lot of secret payments to players like college sports and Everett probably wasn’t able to pay him.

inferis fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 14, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/TonyAndrock/status/985563870034096134

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

We have the 1st SPHL challenger to regret their decision. #3 Pensacola lost in triple OT to #5 Knoxville to drop the series 2-0. They could have picked #7 Mississippi, who are going to game 3 at Huntsville tonight. Also tonight is game 3 for #2 Macon and #6 Evansville. #1 Peoria swept #8 Roanoke earlier this week, with both games being played away from their normal buildings. Roanoke had to go to Liberty University in Lynchburg and play in a building named after the "Left Behind" books guy, and Peoria had to host in a local skating rink, capacity of less than 1000.

Looking forward to a possible matchup next round, if Evansville & Huntsville advance they'll both lose home games to Monster Jam.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

PotatoJudge posted:

if Evansville & Huntsville advance they'll both lose home games to Monster Jam.

this is extremely minor league and i love it

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

More minor league: Monster Jam or Disney on Ice?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

If the Monsters went to 7 games in the ECF in 2016, we didn't have the arena for Game 7, so we would have had to play in Columbus.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

PotatoJudge posted:

More minor league: Monster Jam or Disney on Ice?

Monster Jam, no question

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Hockles posted:

If the Monsters went to 7 games in the ECF in 2016, we didn't have the arena for Game 7, so we would have had to play in Columbus.

admittedly that was due to the Cavs run, wasn't it?

and sadly Ringling Bros. is no more, so we no longer have that great old hockey tradition of teams having to go on long roadies because kids gotta see clowns. (I know every year Chicago always had the Circus Trip, which usually always happened around the same time the Blues went on the annual Missouri Valley Trip.)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

admittedly that was due to the Cavs run, wasn't it?

and sadly Ringling Bros. is no more, so we no longer have that great old hockey tradition of teams having to go on long roadies because kids gotta see clowns. (I know every year Chicago always had the Circus Trip, which usually always happened around the same time the Blues went on the annual Missouri Valley Trip.)

yeah that was NBA finals time if memory serves

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Bad ice delays the start in Macon, further delay as the Zamboni breaks down and starts spewing snow on the ice.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

PotatoJudge posted:

Bad ice delays the start in Macon, further delay as the Zamboni breaks down and starts spewing snow on the ice.

ahaha holy hell

E: go di hope there's video of that

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

DJExile posted:

ahaha holy hell

SPHL, so probably not. They missed the entire game 1 of the Pensacola / Knoxville series, then cut out for game 2's 3rd OT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

DJExile posted:

ahaha holy hell

There’s video of that qmjhl game where the corner of one of the ice ads was sticking out of the ice so the ref grabs it and destroys the ice

E: https://youtu.be/dxk4GMobWy4

inferis fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 15, 2018

• Locked thread