Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

NowonSA posted:

Ah okay I was way off, my memory for this stuff is so hit and miss take anything I ever say with a huge grain of salt. I'm more confident I'm in the right ballpark on the missile facts, for what that's worth.

Someone define delta-v for me too please, since I just have no clue what that is. I'm sure it's come up in the books or on the show but I can't recall it.

It literally means "change in velocity". It's a scalar (vector) so there's a direction involved.

At its most basic and linear sense ∆v=|v1-v0| ("0" is when acceleration starts and "1" is when it ends. if I'm remembering correctly. Rocket scientist please chime in and correct)

Another touch I liked was when Bobbie's mag lock failed she immediately began "falling" toward the engines. While attached to the ship, she was subject to the same acceleration. But when she wasn't, she was now on a purely ballistic trajectory while the ship was still accelerating. It's a little thing, but it's all these little details that make the show so great to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It's not acceleration.

Wikipedia posted:

Delta-v (literally "change in velocity"), symbolised as ∆v and pronounced delta-vee, as used in spacecraft flight dynamics, is a measure of the impulse that is needed to perform a maneuver such as launch from, or landing on a planet or moon, or in-space orbital maneuver. It is a scalar that has the units of speed. As used in this context, it is not the same as the physical change in velocity of the vehicle.

You can kinda-sorta think of it as how much propellant you've got to expend to do whatever it is you're trying to do.

Edit: the Razorback is light and maneuverable, but in terms of being able to outrun stuff, the humans on both ships are the limiting factor; most Epstein-drive ships are more than capable of accelerating hard enough to kill everyone aboard.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 15, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Delta-v isn't really an issue in the Expanse. They mention in the books that the Roci can cross the entire solar system at least twice under standard acceleration before needing to think about refueling.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

NowonSA posted:

I'm sure this isn't exactly the case, but while an Epstein drive lets you go fast as hell most of the rules of physics are in play, so with no gravity slowing you down accelerating means you keep on accelerating, and you need to stay burning jets for a long time to go from planet to planet for that reason. Once you're really cooking you turn the engines off entirely and drift, and then even though you're shooting through space super fast it's a zero-g environment and much more comfortable, especially for belters who are used to zero-g and also used to being on the burn, so ironically while 1g on earth really sucks for them I'm sure they (in general) get through sustained higher g's better than earthers, just like how a fighter pilot is way less likely to puke on a wild flight than, say, Adam Savage getting taken up and sent on flippy-doos.

In-universe, the Epstein drive is extremely efficient, and relatively inexpensive when it comes to fuel. So the most effective thing to do when traveling from point A to point B is to accelerate continuously up to the halfway mark, then flip the vehicle around and accelerate in the opposite direction (i.e., decelerate) for the second half of the trip. No need to stay "on the float" (not accelerating) for any substantial part of the trip.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Yeah delta-v is used as shorthand for how much propellant a vehicle has left, in a way that isn't effected by the properties of its engine. It is most relevant in orbital contexts, i.e. real life, where you don't really think about moving between places but between orbits with different velocities.

In the expanse the premise basically gives you infinite fuel (thats the real magic of the epstein drive). And while it is implied that most drives can easily accelerate hard enough to squish everybody on board, I guess the thing with the razorback is that unlike most other ships it's really specifically designed for hard acceleration - hence those gimballing couches, and maybe it's sturdier than normal, etc etc.

Plus the final thing to keep in mind is that out-accelerating someone (as opposed to out-speeding someone) means once you start pulling away you start pulling away really really fast, with the square of time. So to escape they need to burn hard quickly and for a while so they can build up that lead.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

etalian posted:

The next episode will be about Holden trying to steal a replacement space Keurig from the MCRN

And somehow will end up torturing a barista who worked at a coffee shop in one of Protogen's offices

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In space there is no wind resistance, so once you get up to speed then you will continue on that path indefinitely without burning any fuel (assuming you don't run into any obstacles). The only time you have to burn fuel is to speed up, slow down, or change direction. Delta-v is the amount of energy (i.e. fuel) it takes to do any of those things.

edit: This chart appears to show how much delta-v it takes to do various orbital maneuvers in the solar system. For instance, it takes at least 9400 m/s just to get from the ground to low-earth orbit, but only another 5670 m/s to get all the way from the surface of the moon to low-earth orbit. It also takes the same amount of energy to get from the surface of mars to low-earth orbit as it does to get from the surface of the earth to low-earth orbit.

withak fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 15, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm pretty sure delta-v is just space v-tec, red go-faster paint and racing stripes on Razorback confirms this

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 15, 2018

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

withak posted:

In space there is no wind resistance, so once you get up to speed then you will continue on that path indefinitely without burning any fuel (assuming you don't run into any obstacles). The only time you have to burn fuel is to speed up, slow down, or change direction. Delta-v is the amount of energy (i.e. fuel) it takes to do any of those things.

edit: This chart appears to show how much delta-v it takes to do various orbital maneuvers in the solar system. For instance, it takes at least 9400 m/s just to get from the ground to low-earth orbit, but only another 5670 m/s to get all the way from the surface of the moon to low-earth orbit. It also takes the same amount of energy to get from the surface of mars to low-earth orbit as it does to get from the surface of the earth to low-earth orbit.

This is all true but the epstein drive actually makes it irrelevant. That map and those numbers are for systems with todays constraints, which are basically sharply limited propellant and thus delta-v. The whole thing in the show is that you really can just point your nose at where you're going (or, well, where where you're going is going to be when you get there) and go straight, which isn't something we can do today because we don't have infinite fuel.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
For the record the crash couches on Razorback are standard on every ship in the books. I assume either budget or whatever us why they aren't in the show

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it has the advantage that now there is visual language that says that this ship is unique in its design, as a "more money than god" design should be.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Errinwright's fall is going to be super sweet. He's pretty much single handedly engineered this war, though its too bad the Sec Gen didn't put him in his place more, he folded pretty quickly.

Also, I am still confused on what exactly happened on Ganymede, that started the battle that lead to the destruction of Orbital Mirrors and the UN forces attacking Bobbi's squad (or was that they were shooting at the Protomonsters and it was misinterpreted by the MMC).

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

(or was that they were shooting at the Protomonsters and it was misinterpreted by the MMC).

Pretty much it. They were running from the monster and ran into Bobbi's squad. I still wish that if they couldn't do Bobbi's armor correctly because it would be seen a lot and be costly to cgi-up they could have at least done the mechsuit thing from the book (like the only place its seen is Gany I think). Its the future, give me giant gently caress-off mechs.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ganymede was a protomonster breaking loose and tearing up the UN. The surviving UN marines then came running across the ice towards Bobbie's squad and IIRC shooting their guns, but at the thing chasing them, not at the Martians. There was also some sort of heavy comms jamming going on, and nobody could talk to anybody and nobody knows what the hell is going on, but there was shooting happening on the surface, and presumably someone got jumpy in orbit and then next thing you know everyone is shooting everyone.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Also, I am still confused on what exactly happened on Ganymede, that started the battle that lead to the destruction of Orbital Mirrors and the UN forces attacking Bobbi's squad (or was that they were shooting at the Protomonsters and it was misinterpreted by the MMC).
Marines started shooting each other on the surface, so ships started shooting each other in orbit.

Come to think of it I'm not entirely sure why blowing the poo poo out of a bunch of other warships is a natural consequence of a group of like seven people being ambiguously attacked. I guess all it takes is one warship to fire and then there's a chain reaction of "oh poo poo, they're shooting at us, better shoot back!" But who thought, "Our marines got attacked! Better start shooting this UN battleship now."?

Maybe they assumed the UN marines were attacking as part of a wider surprise attack and didn't want to let the UN ships get the jump on them?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I thought the space battle was triggered by a Protogen or Mao controlled ship/turret opening fire, and both fleets, already on edge over the Donnager and Phoebe, were tricked into thinking the other was shooting at them

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah, if I were captaining a ship and suddenly massive comms jamming came down with no warning and the last thing I knew was that ground forces had started shooting each other I would assume it's a surprise attack, and from there going to full alert and maybe even shooting back makes perfect sense.

E: Although yeah Protogen could have made sure it would explode by opening up themselves. I don't remember if that was explicitly shown or not, though, I think the scene was kept intentionally chaotic and confusing.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Eiba posted:

Marines started shooting each other on the surface, so ships started shooting each other in orbit.

Come to think of it I'm not entirely sure why blowing the poo poo out of a bunch of other warships is a natural consequence of a group of like seven people being ambiguously attacked. I guess all it takes is one warship to fire and then there's a chain reaction of "oh poo poo, they're shooting at us, better shoot back!" But who thought, "Our marines got attacked! Better start shooting this UN battleship now."?

Maybe they assumed the UN marines were attacking as part of a wider surprise attack and didn't want to let the UN ships get the jump on them?

Well nobody is going to go 'hmm, maybe they are being attacked by an anonymous third party. better wait for better intel!'. There is one enemy as far as they know, and last anyone saw there was a bunch of UN marines headed towards mars territory firing poo poo off. There was drones but who knows if anyone got a glimpse of the protomonster in action.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Didn't Errinwright say that he had a martian ship coming in to pick up the protomonster from Ganymede destroyed? Was that the trigger for the space battle perhaps or am I misremembering and it referred to a ship that was lost elsewhere?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Crazycryodude posted:

E: Although yeah Protogen could have made sure it would explode by opening up themselves. I don't remember if that was explicitly shown or not, though, I think the scene was kept intentionally chaotic and confusing.

It wasn't shown, but I recall someone alluding to it - certainly there's going to be nobody paying attention to the surface to see a protomonster demonstration they're not meant to see when they're busy skirmishing in orbit. Earth and Mars destroying the Belts food source in the process was also a good way to rile up the Belters enough to get the OPA fighting too, especially after all the mysteriously disappearing ice freighters put them on water rations for months.

Slashrat posted:

Didn't Errinwright say that he had a martian ship coming in to pick up the protomonster from Ganymede destroyed? Was that the trigger for the space battle perhaps or am I misremembering and it referred to a ship that was lost elsewhere?

That was the Spec Ops ship Alex heard about and tried to follow in with his gravity slingshots, well after the battle

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Slashrat posted:

Yea, Errinwright specifically says that he gave the order for the UN ships to open fire over Ganymede when he's talking to Mao on his yacht. This was even in the "Previously, on The Expanse" preview before last week's ep, at like 1:30.

The marines weren't really a cause of anything on their own.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
In the flashback scenes with the the doctors taking Mei to the other base the lady doc complains about the space battle going on and the male doc says that they knew it was possible things could get out of hand so I don't think protegen started the battle in space.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, Errinwright specifically says that he gave the order for the UN ships to open fire over Ganymede when he's talking to Mao on his yacht. This was even in the "Previously, on The Expanse" preview before last week's ep, at like 1:30.

The marines weren't really a cause of anything on their own.

These are two different incidents several episodes apart.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Slashrat posted:

That was like after the Roci landed and 5 episodes after the battle

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Syzygy Stardust posted:

These are two different incidents several episodes apart.

TVIV in a nutshell

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Think it should be noted that the Vietnam War was basically started because someone misinterpreted a radar blip

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Literally said "Aw yeah, there's my favorite Ojibwe badass" out loud when I first saw her in the new episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Literally said "Aw yeah, there's my favorite Ojibwe badass" out loud when I first saw her in the new episode.

I had no idea she was first nation, that is awesome.

And thanks for the info, I guess it makes sense it should be confusing because, well, it is. Also now the season is back I am gonna play the poo poo out of Stellaris.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://giant.gfycat.com/MatureVigilantFlatcoatretriever.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/InsignificantRequiredKillerwhale.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/LikableNaughtyFrogmouth.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/PeriodicShinyBluetickcoonhound.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/BabyishAccurateJuliabutterfly.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/HardtofindLinearGadwall.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/PotableFancyIndigobunting.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/DelectableOfficialEarwig.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/ComplicatedBitterCommongonolek.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/GentleOblongEwe.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I understand that Drummer is surrounded by a ring light for reasons of cinematography, but that light would be really annoying to gaze into every rep.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Awesome, but the green haze around Mars in the end of the shot got cut out from the gif. That was the best part imho.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It makes sense the Razorback is literally just an engine, and nothing else. And the battle is exactly why I'm playing Stellaris. Unless someone has made an Expanse mod for Sins of a Solar Empire.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Platystemon posted:

I understand that Drummer is surrounded by a ring light for reasons of cinematography, but that light would be really annoying to gaze into every rep.

The anger from annoying things only makes her stronger. It sustains her, nourishes her, gives her strength to shoot more fools in the head.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

404notfound posted:

Cotyar played a very minor role in the books, to the point where I honestly don't even remember what happened to him. His role on the show has diverged enough at this point that I don't think anybody could tell you what's going to happen.

I like that Abraham and Franck aren't shy about rewriting the story as they go along to make a more TV-friendly narrative. It means you can enjoy both forms without having to say "the book/show did it better"

Wife has sworn she will quit watching the show if Cotyar dies :[

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

AlternateAccount posted:

Wife has sworn she will quit watching the show if Cotyar dies :[

Why tho? I dunno, he's been such a bit character, he hasn't done much besides advise Avasarala about security issues. Like, I usually understand when people are into some minor character from whatever show, but Cotyar's been such a non-entity. If you guys didn't know him from Spartacus or whatever it was, would you care?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Phenotype posted:

Why tho? I dunno, he's been such a bit character, he hasn't done much besides advise Avasarala about security issues. Like, I usually understand when people are into some minor character from whatever show, but Cotyar's been such a non-entity. If you guys didn't know him from Spartacus or whatever it was, would you care?

Never saw Spartacus but I would be sad if Cotoyar left the show. Really hoping that dropship is okay! :ohdear:

People like a loyal rogue: he's basically Amos-lite!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Phenotype posted:

He is a cool guy, I like him. Never watched spartacus and I also hope he will show up a again

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Phenotype posted:

Nothing special he's just a super likable auxiliary character

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

If you havent watched Spartacus then I hope Jupiter parts cheeks and rams cock in (your) rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The proto-molecule has the Hat.