Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

sebzilla posted:

Does the double candy count for Mew? Wonder how hard I need to push in this event or if I might as well just chill.

Yes and you cannot pineapp it. You get unlimited Red Balls and is caught after the third hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I got an EX pass for a gym I've only ever done one 2 star raid at.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
After never seeing any Solrocks, I've seen six in the past day or two. Wut

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Welp. I guess I have a new buddy for the next 20k.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I_Socom posted:

It is cheesable, but you can't quit. You have to either beat the 'mon (i.e. use up a raid pass) OR wait for the raid to time out. If you really want to cheese it then get to a 1* or 2* raid just before it starts, spend 40 mins doing the raid 8 times (2 mins in the lobby + 3 mins waiting for the raid to time out), then beat the raid (i.e. 9 "raids" in total). You'll need to do one more raid after that, but hopefully you can find a decent 4* / 5* to do with a group and resume your usual raid schedule.

Apparently they fixed this glitch this afternoon.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

dwarf74 posted:

Welp. I guess I have a new buddy for the next 20k.

Nice! My best is a 91IV but I am on my third Milotic now.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

RodShaft posted:

Really? poo poo. I need three more raids still.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
https://twitter.com/egoraptor/status/985027091904122880

Daaaamn I hate being the kind that rags on Niantic for not doing enough but hot drat that's a lot of cash. I wish someone had a realistic breakdown of what a company like this needs to spend a day to keep their game running and to pay their employees.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

With the pace of development thus far, they probably had like 2 coders and 1 intern.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

With the pace of development thus far, they probably had like 2 coders and 1 intern.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think you meant the other way around.

I gave my son his own account to screw around with. 9 Pikachu later he catches a shiny. I would've been happy for him if he didn't keep rubbing it in.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I’m sure there’s a lot of money spent on maintenance and latency sustainability, keeping a game that rakes in $1m a day with tens of millions people playing daily isn’t easy to upkeep. Factor in licensing costs, paying Nintendo and Gamefreak for their shares and it’s easy to see where the money goes.

At least Niantic has stepped up to committing having events consistently instead of once every two months.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

RodShaft posted:

An egg popped at our park when the kids were asleep so I took both my wife and my phones down.

Oddly, she got credit upon joining the raid the first time, and never again.

I got credit every time I finished (lost / timed out) on the raid, 6 times total.

So either they fixed it in a weird way, or it's not on all accounts?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

~Coxy posted:

An egg popped at our park when the kids were asleep so I took both my wife and my phones down.

Oddly, she got credit upon joining the raid the first time, and never again.

I got credit every time I finished (lost / timed out) on the raid, 6 times total.

So either they fixed it in a weird way, or it's not on all accounts?

I believe the variance came down to whether or not you had already reached step 6 before they applied the fix. If you had it pre-fix, you can still cheese the raid lobbies. If you didn't, it seems kinda like their fix actually changed the quest that's assigned by progressing to step 6, rather than doing anything to the raids, and it doesn't work.

Basically, you got grandfathered in.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
honestly I feel sometimes that the devs are really aware how they have a finite amount of pokemon to work with + a lot of the later generations are ones that the target audience isn't really nostalgic for

better parcel out the ones people remember instead of running headlong into generation 6/7 and then off a cliff until the next game gets released

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
I am pretty casual but finally got an EX invite that happened today, was about 40 people + there and we all orderly divided into teams and I got my Mew 2! Now into the next 9 raids for my normal mew. The research stuff has been a lot of fun and just adds something else to do every day, wish they had this back at release and expanded on it back then because it would have gone along way to retaining people and continuing engagement.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Vegastar posted:

I believe the variance came down to whether or not you had already reached step 6 before they applied the fix. If you had it pre-fix, you can still cheese the raid lobbies. If you didn't, it seems kinda like their fix actually changed the quest that's assigned by progressing to step 6, rather than doing anything to the raids, and it doesn't work.

Basically, you got grandfathered in.

Interesting, that was actually our situation (I commute via PT/walking so was ahead.)

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

The hell, 3 super balls trying to catch a
125 Karp, get the thing in the ball and “Wild Syther has been caught” pops up on the screen. Sure enough it had some how became a 1925cp Syther...

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if niantic's figured it out, that Ex raids get them some money, does anyone think the field research get more? I would be totally fine if the next professor research was for Mewtwo, or even a shiny Mew.

Or there could be some kind of stone you get instead that let you make any Pokemon you have a shiny.

I do like the field research releasing the legendaries though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I am considering dropping Earth dollars on the box with a grip of raid passes so I can knock out that step in a day.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I have a pink sheep now. This is my event story.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I am considering dropping Earth dollars on the box with a grip of raid passes so I can knock out that step in a day.

What's the rush? If you're at that stage of the quest you're already past the point where you have to hurry so you can use the Gastly spawns from the gen1 event. It's not like you have to hurry before a new quest line comes out or that Mew is any good as a fighter, it's basically just a fancy dex entry.

a sexual elk posted:

The hell, 3 super balls trying to catch a
125 Karp, get the thing in the ball and “Wild Syther has been caught” pops up on the screen. Sure enough it had some how became a 1925cp Syther...

same but a Geodude that turned into a Venonat

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 15, 2018

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Community day box is a very good deal: 3x super incubators for the low, low price of 480 coins. Worth it!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

What's the rush? If you're at that stage of the quest you're already past the point where you have to hurry so you can use the Gastly spawns from the gen1 event. It's not like you have to hurry before a new quest line comes out or that Mew is any good as a fighter, it's basically just a fancy dex entry.

99% of my play time is at night and it's taken me 2 weeks to get three raids done. it's a weird situation

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh isn't there supposed to be an event like right now?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh isn't there supposed to be an event like right now?

it's from 2pm to 5pm EST in the US, so you're an hour early

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

flatluigi posted:

it's from 2pm to 5pm EST in the US, so you're an hour early

ugh the website said 11 mst which is right now

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Maker Of Shoes posted:

ugh the website said 11 mst which is right now

are you in a place with timezone weirdness

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

flatluigi posted:

are you in a place with timezone weirdness

Yes so I'm guessing the website dynamically displays the time

:argh:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

3 Mareep in my house, third is a shiny. Had 180 Mareep candies banked. That was a short event haha.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

a sexual elk posted:

3 Mareep in my house, third is a shiny. Had 180 Mareep candies banked. That was a short event haha.

One Horsea in my house. This is BS!

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Learned a hard and frustrating lesson today: never prepare for an event :argh:

Bought some regular incubators...right before they released the limited time box with super incubators.

Put some eggs into those regular incubators yesterday...only to find that the event driven “stuff incubates faster” behavior only appears to apply to incubators you start using during the event itself.

:doh: :argh:

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

bitprophet posted:

Learned a hard and frustrating lesson today: never prepare for an event :argh:

Bought some regular incubators...right before they released the limited time box with super incubators.

Put some eggs into those regular incubators yesterday...only to find that the event driven “stuff incubates faster” behavior only appears to apply to incubators you start using during the event itself.

:doh: :argh:

Ouch!

The egg part was a little confusing and personally pretty useless. Otherwise it was a fun community day! We had rainy weather (only ingame, not actually) so we got some weatherboosted sheeps which was nice.

The catch-mareeps field research thing was a nice addition.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Ouch!

The egg part was a little confusing and personally pretty useless. Otherwise it was a fun community day! We had rainy weather (only ingame, not actually) so we got some weatherboosted sheeps which was nice.

The catch-mareeps field research thing was a nice addition.

Yea, aside from the irritation about the incubators/eggs, it was a fun event; neither my wife nor myself have caught more than a couple Mareeps ever, so now we're flush with all 3 evolutions and a handful of shinies to boot. At one point I had all 3 field research slots going with the day's quest as well, which was amusing.

Also caught my first Omastar which was unexpected. Been seeing more in that family out lately.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I got the last Mareep I needed for an Ampharos with 1% battery remaining on my phone. Lucky!

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Ended up getting 7 shinies this time around, two of them weather boosted level 30+.

During the dratini event I caught way more and only found 1 shiny that run.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Catch 3 mareep field research was a pretty excellent idea, I wasn't expecting event field research so well done on that Niantic.

caught half a dozen shinies, completed a ton of field research events, hatched a ton of eggs, polished it off with a ditto catch for special research. Excellent event all around.

Steve Jorbs posted:

two of them weather boosted level 30+.

oh yeah, i got weather boost for 2 of the 3 hours and it was excellent, especially since it didn't rain a single drop and yet I was getting boosted catches left and right. That was an unexpected bonus.

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 15, 2018

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
3 shinies, got enough whale candy for 2 Wailmers....poo poo I didn't check the store!

Fuuuuuuuuuuck it's still there!

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
73 mareep caught, not one shiny.

Damnit.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Not the best Pokémon, but it was the best event. 1/4 egg time, and quests aimed at the event Pokémon were awesome. That’s how you do it, Niantic. Really hoping for Machop next time. Or Abra.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Psion posted:

Catch 3 mareep field research was a pretty excellent idea, I wasn't expecting event field research so well done on that Niantic.

yeah this was really clever

only got 2 shiny and both in the 60-70% range. still fun though, the egg distance combined with the current double candy event was the real winner here. got enough back to back hatches on beldum's to poo poo out a 3k Metagross

hundreds of people at my local park and its always super fun to see kids running around at mach 17 screaming about shiny stuff :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I like how the shiny Mareep looks like cotton candy :3:

• Locked thread