Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
loving ROTC grads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

vulturesrow posted:

loving ROTC grads

The sad thing was most of them were my buddies from OCS, we told them summer whites, but they thought it was meant as full choker whites. It sucked for one of my friends who checked in in proper SDBs, but rolled in at the same time as Navy Ball group so even though she had been in a correct uniform, she had to do the inspection too

But yeah the ROTC grads looks like rear end in their uniforms the whole while I was in schools command.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I checked in in PT gear. Seabees get some things right.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
haha bunch of operations classes got cancelled because poo poo keeps breaking, effectively doubling my hold time from ~3-5 months to ~6-10 months due to the amount of people ahead of me

apparently the few classes that didn't get cancelled literally go in to the classroom and sleep or jerk around all day

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Only ever checked in once in dress blues and that was pcola. Everywhere else was nwus.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
I checked in with khakis and then just did the A-pool muster thing in PT gear for a few months in 2009. Though every 6 months or so some new hilarious Ensign fuckup makes them knee jerk some new bs for everyone. For us it was endangered bird hunting and breaking into the schoolhouse to steal tests.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wonder Free posted:

I checked in with khakis and then just did the A-pool muster thing in PT gear for a few months in 2009. Though every 6 months or so some new hilarious Ensign fuckup makes them knee jerk some new bs for everyone. For us it was endangered bird hunting and breaking into the schoolhouse to steal tests.

drat, that's crazier than our for sure. We mustered in khakis with mandatory group PT 3 times a week (too many dudes were coming in from OHARP with an extra 20-40 pounds and failing the APIT), but in terms of trouble the worst we had were a couple guys sneaking into the survival pool to practice tread and float and the institution of a mandatory 4 hour parking lot watch in khakis to make sure students didn't park in instructor spaces. Also we had so many people getting pink sheets in IFS testing because the proctor liked to change questions from the study material to mess with the students.

Killing birds and stealing tests though, that sounds like a story.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

mandatory 4 hour parking lot watch in khakis to make sure students didn't park in instructor spaces.

Hahahahahahahahahaha. God drat that place is run by a bunch of chodes.

Not a whole lot to the other two stories.

Birds: four guys decide to go shoot birds on a wildlife preserve. Get busted, spend a bunch of time in disciplinary limbo. I think some got kicked out, but at least one of them eventually classed up and continued. He was stashed at CTW-6 as the watchbill officer while I was going through.

Tests: a 2nd LT (not an ensign this time!) decides to exercise initiative and breaks into the cabinet with the API tests. He ended up confessing a few days later. This happened right as I was leaving, so I don't know all the details of what the reaction was, but I assume it was something stupid.

There was also a guy a few years later who beat up Mickey Mouse. (the article doesn't say if the park employees were in costume but that's how it happened in my head)

quote:

"I've seen plenty of drunk people, being from a small town in Texas, but I've never seen someone so drunk that they would attack someone randomly," Craig told The Sentinel.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dang no EP for me. Still though got a 3.85. I'm not a total dirt bag.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Dang no EP for me. Still though got a 3.85. I'm not a total dirt bag.

Were you at least #1 MP? What's the summary group average? What's your CO's average?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Were you at least #1 MP? What's the summary group average? What's your CO's average?

I was the runner up to the two people who EP. I only know who one of them was for certain and she's amazing.

Summary group average was 3.4.

I'm not sure how to find the CO average.

Got a 5, two 3s and four 4s. Got some nice platitudes in the comment box so that's nice.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

I was the runner up to the two people who EP. I only know who one of them was for certain and she's amazing.

Summary group average was 3.4.

I'm not sure how to find the CO average.

Got a 5, two 3s and four 4s. Got some nice platitudes in the comment box so that's nice.

Poor crab man is a poo poo bag my condolences.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bengy81 posted:

Poor crab man is a poo poo bag my condolences.

My problem is eval season isn’t around crab season.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

My problem is eval season isn’t around crab season.

MORALE BUILDER! IT2(?) single-handedly caught, cleaned, and cooked 300lbs of crabs for the command picnic resulting $600 donations from 300 service members and families.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Hahahahahahahahahaha. God drat that place is run by a bunch of chodes.

Not a whole lot to the other two stories.

Birds: four guys decide to go shoot birds on a wildlife preserve. Get busted, spend a bunch of time in disciplinary limbo. I think some got kicked out, but at least one of them eventually classed up and continued. He was stashed at CTW-6 as the watchbill officer while I was going through.

Tests: a 2nd LT (not an ensign this time!) decides to exercise initiative and breaks into the cabinet with the API tests. He ended up confessing a few days later. This happened right as I was leaving, so I don't know all the details of what the reaction was, but I assume it was something stupid.

There was also a guy a few years later who beat up Mickey Mouse. (the article doesn't say if the park employees were in costume but that's how it happened in my head)

I got lucky, the pool was down to like 20-30 people and I managed to avoid all the major bullshit watches (parking lot watch and 8 hour quarter deck watch), worst watches were random one hour RAM checking the bags and IDs for 0-6's coming to the command. Museum watch was fun though.

Love the last line of the article:

quote:

The source said the squadron commander pulled all of the students and reminded them not to be stupid.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Some poor sailor on the Nimitz just bought a scummy subcontractor a drink. Those vending machines have some real hangtime when a credit card is used on them.
Poor(er) guy didn’t mean to gently caress ya.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Do ships not have some kind of debit system? Like the stupid Eagle Cash stuff AAFES does on Army/AF bases overseas? Using actual bandwidth for poo poo like vending machines is laughably loving stupid.

"Welp, we're at war and in EMCON, guess everyone's just gonna pass out on duty 3 hours in because they can't feed their energy drink addictions."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nimitz is in dry dock with multiple fiber connections (shout out to my crew) allowing the machines to have cc readers on them for dockyard personal to buy hot pockets and energy drinks too. Hell even the coffee and smoothie shop has a shack in the hanger bay now.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I remember we had these chip cards that you could transfer money to from a bank account to use in vending machines. We could also do chip-to-chip transactions for ~our shipboard craigslist~, really kept the grey market going.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MancXVI posted:

I remember we had these chip cards that you could transfer money to from a bank account to use in vending machines. We could also do chip-to-chip transactions for ~our shipboard craigslist~, really kept the grey market going.

One of the ships in our squadron had a prostitution ring going on and it was traced via the cash cards.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

What did a BJ go for?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Insert joke about finding a locker with $1000.25 from prostitution.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hope they kept track of taxes owed.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Godholio posted:

Do ships not have some kind of debit system? Like the stupid Eagle Cash stuff AAFES does on Army/AF bases overseas? Using actual bandwidth for poo poo like vending machines is laughably loving stupid.

"Welp, we're at war and in EMCON, guess everyone's just gonna pass out on duty 3 hours in because they can't feed their energy drink addictions."

It does have a connection that travels though the various SATCOM based IP service systems across the fleet. However, the NavyCash system is not "always on" and can function offline during EMCON or when the connection inevitably drops for some reason.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ManMythLegend posted:

It does have a connection that travels though the various SATCOM based IP service systems across the fleet. However, the NavyCash system is not "always on" and can function offline during EMCON or when the connection inevitably drops for some reason.

Ok, that's what I expected. It makes sense if the ship is docked with a hardline, too.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Some poor sailor on the Nimitz just bought a scummy subcontractor a drink. Those vending machines have some real hangtime when a credit card is used on them.
Poor(er) guy didn’t mean to gently caress ya.

Wait, what?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

CMD598 posted:

Wait, what?

The (or a particular) vending machines if you use a credit card need to be manually told to stop vending stuff. There was a sign about it right at face level but who reads that poo poo. I couldn’t give it back if I wanted to.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

LingcodKilla posted:

The (or a particular) vending machines if you use a credit card need to be manually told to stop vending stuff. There was a sign about it right at face level but who reads that poo poo. I couldn’t give it back if I wanted to.

Every few months we get a departmental email from some aggrieved person in management who lost $1.50 to the same thing. Funny every time.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh lol, I thought there was something serious going on. On deployment it was all navycash cards. (randomly nonfunctional) I guess they switched them to regular cards after it went in.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I believe that these large deck ships only have the CC readers setup while in the yards, once they leave they usually go to all Navy Cash Card only.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nick Soapdish posted:

One of the ships in our squadron had a prostitution ring going on and it was traced via the cash cards.

Hey OS3, do a snack run for the watch team. My pin is 1234.

Man, it's two decks; why does OS3 always take so long?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Today was my last day of doing Navy stuff. Terminal leave starts Monday...feels weird man.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Non-Fat Leonard scandal: Navy and Tetra Tech completely fake cleanup of San Francisco shipyard superfund site
https://sf.curbed.com/2018/4/10/17219434/hunters-point-shipyard-navy-cleanup-san-francisco-faked

quote:

However, an independent review by the EPA found that the Navy dramatically understated the scope of the problem. According to the EPA, as much as 97 percent of the cleanup data is unreliable and must be retested, John Chestnutt, manager of the EPA’s local Superfund Division, wrote in a December 27 letter.

“The data analyzed demonstrate a widespread pattern of practices that appear to show deliberate falsification, failure to perform the work in a manner required to ensure [cleanup] requirements were met, or both,” Chestnutt wrote.

Tetra Tech first admitted to providing false soil samples in 2014, but was allowed to continue working after blaming the problem on low-level employees and submitting other workers to “ethics training,” excuses and solutions the Navy appeared ready to accept until more whistleblowers came forward alleging more widespread and systemic fraud—allegations that have now been sustained.

“What makes these findings so remarkable is that the Navy was on notice for years that it had a major data meltdown on its hands yet is still trying to cook the books,” said Jeff Ruch, PEER’s executive director. “The Navy created an environmental nightmare on this stretch of the San Francisco Bay but instead of cleaning it up has spent the past several years compounding it.”

According to Ruch, the shipyard scandal is “unfolding into the biggest case of eco-fraud in U.S. history.” Only the Volkswagen emissions scandal, in which the automaker sold 500,000 cars designed to cheat the Clean Air Act, can compare, Ruch told Curbed SF.

The shipyard is divided into alphanumeric parcels. In a review of the work on Parcel B, the Navy found issues with 15 percent of the data collected. On Parcel G, the Navy recommended 49 percent of the data be resampled.

But according to a “technical team including national experts in health physics, geology, and statistics” assembled by the EPA, 90 percent of the data on Parcel B is untrustworthy. On Parcel G, 97 percent of the data is “suspect,” according to the EPA.

Tetra Tech workers falsified data in a variety of ways. These include pulling soil samples from an area known to be clean—the site of a former movie theater—and passing them off as soil from areas known to be dirty; running scanners too quickly to detect contamination; faking chain-of-custody records; and faking results at on-site testing laboratories.

Together, those two parcels comprise about 40 percent of the base’s land area. According to plans filed by FivePoint, the developer of the SF Shipyard, those parcels are the planned future homes for the area’s densest residential development and the core of a retail area.

Yet for some inexplicable reason, “we’re not seeing California’s or even San Francisco’s delegation up in arms about this,” PEER’s Ruch noted. “San Francisco’s members of Congress are very well placed. They could enact revenge. They could force hearings.”

“You would think at the head of the line of aggrieved parties would be the U.S. Navy, but they don’t appear to be aggrieved,” he added. “There are no consequences.”

Consequences are for little people.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

vulturesrow posted:

Today was my last day of doing Navy stuff. Terminal leave starts Monday...feels weird man.

Congrats man. I got out almost a year ago (went on terminal in May). Currently in school, starting my job as an engineer in June working on DOD/Navy stuff but it will be R&D focused.

It takes some getting used to. Since all of my friends are still in sometimes it's hard to detach yourself from the service. Whenever I talk to my friends it's nothing but SWO talk. And they're reaching a point where they are fully drinking the kool aide (the 5+ YCS mark) Not gonna lie, on some days I was regretting getting out but overall I'm happy with my decision. It's good that you have a job lined up right away, because that's gonna give you a purpose. Being in school has been challenging since it's been hard for me to take it seriously and the other students are hard to relate to.

Howard Phillips fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 15, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

On orders for 139 days. Time to get my Navy on. Woo.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Redeploying. What a successful deployment, our triad got fired, there are a dozen on going investigations, countless mishaps. The real mission was making the friends we did along the way, though :)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Man the Seattle uso rocks! Clean toilets lots of food!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

no mustard no moustache no soft drink

1/10

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

no mustard no moustache no soft drink

1/10

Photoshop opportunity spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Well apparently people get all in a tizzy if you allegedly disassemble your M9 on watch because you're bored. loving students running their mouths. Wish me luck!