Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I do hate how much (ep 6)"Be bad" factored into the plot since I thought it was silly that he said that instead of "Defend yourself" or "Protect the colony", like he suddenly became six years old.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lycus posted:

I do hate how much "Be bad" factored into the plot since I thought it was silly that he said that instead of "Defend yourself" or "Protect the colony", like he suddenly became six years old.

Yeaaahhh that was some cringey rear end writing. It kind of tanked an otherwise p impactful scene that, again, played off something quickly established in an earlier episode.

e: like poo poo, even something like "fight back!" would have fit so much better. "Be bad again" just sounded so dumb, esp because the kid playing Will, while an ok actor for his age, isn't good enough to make bad dialogue sound less dumb

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

esperterra posted:

At first I was wary about how they were handling the robot in this show, but then he ended up being super adorable and I appreciated him just being a dude in a robot suit 80% of the time instead of a CG monstrosity all season long-- it made it look even better when he did need to be CG.

But yeah they ended up making him pretty dope and then also integral to p much everything by the end in more than one way, so that was cool.

And for as much flak as I've given the writing on this show, in general they did a pretty good job even in those early episodes having throwaway moments or scenes that became much more relevant when poo poo went down or were revealed to be something more or w/e

I just think some of the writing for a TV show is always going to have issues. Like for example, the whole fuel tank return situation. It was entirely predictable that there would be a reason why they wouldn't make it back with all the fuel even before they got to that geyser field and it was entirely predictable that the dude would die once the crash was revealed as the reason why they wouldn't get all the fuel back. But hey, of course that's just how television shows work so whatever I'm not going to make that big of a deal over it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lycus posted:

I do hate how much (ep 6)"Be bad" factored into the plot since I thought it was silly that he said that instead of "Defend yourself" or "Protect the colony", like he suddenly became six years old.

Definitely agree.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TMMadman posted:

I just think some of the writing for a TV show is always going to have issues. Like for example, the whole fuel tank return situation. It was entirely predictable that there would be a reason why they wouldn't make it back with all the fuel even before they got to that geyser field and it was entirely predictable that the dude would die once the crash was revealed as the reason why they wouldn't get all the fuel back. But hey, of course that's just how television shows work so whatever I'm not going to make that big of a deal over it.

Yeah, same tbh. Stuff being predictable isn't inherently bad.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Virtually the same thing happened on the 100, but yeah that's just how TV goes.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 15, 2018

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

esperterra posted:

Yeah, same tbh. Stuff being predictable isn't inherently bad.

Oh I agree and the same thing happens even with dialog. There are always going to parts that are boring/stupid just because that's the way TV shows work. So it all comes down to do the parts that intrigue you outweigh the parts that irritates you and it's all glued together with the standard predictable TV stuff.

Overall, I think this series has more parts that are intriguing that parts that are boring or stupid.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I think the eldest daughter would've worked better if she was a little bit older and they did less sister bickering.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They vaguely set up the West/Judy thing and it feels really creepy as he looks like he's firmly 35 and she looks like she's 14.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

They vaguely set up the West/Judy thing and it feels really creepy as he looks like he's firmly 35 and she looks like she's 14.

Oh yeah, that's another aspect of what I'm thinking. She should've been in her twenties.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Y’all need a thread.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

Y’all need a thread.

Someone took your advice: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854439

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

I had the same problem with Altered Carbon and Dark with Netflix.

Just make your platform louder Netflix, it's not rocket surgery.

I think it's an issue with certain TVs and their encoding. I only had to turn Lost in Space up to 10 (normally at 5). There was one film on Netflix where we had to turn our TV literally up as far as it would go and it was still a bit too quiet.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/RLeeErmey/status/985651917870202883

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh no, R. Lee Ermey's dead :(

e: beaten

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 16, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Awww man, Art Bell and R Lee Ermey in the same weekend. :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's a real shame Art Bell was never on the X-Files :(

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
nooo not The Gunny :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Popelmon posted:

The Penis McHale show keeps getting better and better.

"Oh is it Kayla? Who loving cares."

"Right here on Netflix! Bo-Bong."

I got quite a laugh out of "ABC's new show American Idol"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Was RISE already canceled? My wife put it on and we made it about 12 minutes in before we had to quit, it's just garbage tier television.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joel keeps talking about it, so no?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Terror is so loving good. I am so happy this exists, it combines everything I love about old stuffy adventure stories and pulpy sci-fi genre stories.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Joel keeps talking about it, so no?

I hope Rise stays on the air just so Penis has an American scripted show to poo poo on. It fits in nicely alongside the VanDerPump and Love & Hip-Hop stuff (also both those shows make me feel like reality TV knew McHale was coming back and upped its game)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

HBO made a new trailer for Rome recently for some reason. God dang it looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW7Def-Meog

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

pahuyuth posted:

nooo not The Gunny :(

RIP Devil Dog. Full Metal Jacket was one of the reasons I decided to be a Marine. It made Parris Island this mythical place to me that I had to find out if I could survive it or not.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 16, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Rome really set the sleazy/prestige HBO template, didn't it? Though not enough Pullo and Vorenus in that trailer by a mile.

I should give it a rewatch. At the time I was very un-generous to its last season, hating the time jump and the time compression forced by cancelation, as well as Vorenus becoming an unlikable dick. I might be able to approach it better now, with so much distance and expectations lowered.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It definitely doesn't have the sophistication of The Wire or Sopranos. I found it a fun romp. On the DVD it has a special feature where it gives real historical trivia while you watch it. It's clear they put in a poo poo ton of work on the show.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I much preferred it to the sopranos lol

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

feedmyleg posted:

Rome really set the sleazy/prestige HBO template, didn't it? Though not enough Pullo and Vorenus in that trailer by a mile.

I should give it a rewatch. At the time I was very un-generous to its last season, hating the time jump and the time compression forced by cancelation, as well as Vorenus becoming an unlikable dick. I might be able to approach it better now, with so much distance and expectations lowered.

I loved both seasons and rewatched it a month ago along side listening to the History of Rome podcast. Obviously there is some historical inaccuracy and some liberties taken but they over all do a good job.

Second season could have been dragged out more, but listening to the podcast they didn't really miss anything crucially important since they were basically planning on wrapping up Antony and not telling how Augustus came to be. If the goal had been telling the story of Augustus from start to finish it would have been at least 4 seasons longer and none of it would have been as interesting as Julius Caesar; though this isn't to say it is boring it just wouldn't have been as good.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

I think it's an issue with certain TVs and their encoding. I only had to turn Lost in Space up to 10 (normally at 5). There was one film on Netflix where we had to turn our TV literally up as far as it would go and it was still a bit too quiet.

Its just on my devices like the laptop and tablet. On the tv i can amp it to ear splitting with a wave of my hand.
I ended up downloading both Lost in space and altered carbon instead of watching on Netflix. Which was annoying because i had to wait

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One really nice thing about using a Roku instead of a console is that it has a built in mode called "Night Listening" that makes dialogue louder and explosions quieter. It's not perfect of course because it's an algorithm but it tends to work extremely well for plot-heavy scifi shows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Holy poo poo, John Oliver bought out a ton of Russell Crowe movie memorabilia from his divorce auction for the explicit purpose of sending to the last few remaining Blockbusters in Alaska to drum up business.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If you think Oliver didn't actually just buy that stuff because he's allowed to burn HBO money and loves doing it and the Blockbuster thing was just a convenient excuse of what to do with it then you haven't watched enough of his show.

Like at this stage I assume Oliver is just doing that thing where he every year he spends X amount of dollars because its budgeted for him and he knows if he doesn't spend it then his budget will go down next year. But instead of some new desk chairs and an office party he spends half a million dollars on nonsense for his show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

Holy poo poo, John Oliver bought out a ton of Russell Crowe movie memorabilia from his divorce auction for the explicit purpose of sending to the last few remaining Blockbusters in Alaska to drum up business.

Wait, he did what?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I love that two TV shows I watch this weekend talked about Russell Crowe's jockstrap

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
e: moved to other thread

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 16, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rhyno posted:

Wait, he did what?

He spent $7,000 in Russell Crowe's leather jock strap among other things.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

bull3964 posted:

there are still Blockbusters in existence?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Argus Zant posted:

there are still Blockbusters in existence?

Yes, apparently 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
John Oliver being all :homebrew: with HBO's money is frankly the best part of his show

see also: when they bought ad time on FOX News to run those "wise old cowboy" commercials.