Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I started off drinking neat, and farted around with different amounts of water, but I've found that 2 ice cubes per pour is pretty much ideal for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Jamsta posted:

IMO Blanton's Gold absolutely deserves the hype, just the regular "original" does not as it's noticeably weaker in flavour and ABV.

Plus they're the only whisky bottles I've bothered keeping

I've heard as much, but for some strange reason I think Blanton's Gold and Straight from the Barrel are only sold outside the US.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Quiet Feet posted:

I started off drinking neat, and farted around with different amounts of water, but I've found that 2 ice cubes per pour is pretty much ideal for me.

I got Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or on the rocks at Enzo's Hideaway last night, and they have GIANT ice cubes that must be 2.5 inches across. They just do one per glass, out of a big freezer drawer that has them stacked like Tetris blocks.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Enigma posted:

I've heard as much, but for some strange reason I think Blanton's Gold and Straight from the Barrel are only sold outside the US.

Yup, a quick search seems to indicate it's due to a distribution agreement with Buffalo Trace.

So international sellers are the only way to get them - which sucks, as it's Blanton's best produce.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

So I went up to the Hakushu distillery again this past weekend.
The gift shop was of course pretty hopeless, but the paid tasting was fully stocked as usual. 600 yen for Hakushu 18? Who wouldn't.
The new Hakushu rye whisky is actually really, REALLY good. Like "spend another $10 to use it as my Manhattan base" good.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Friday night I celebrated the first paycheck of my new job by opening the bottle of Glendalough 13 I brought back from Ireland. It was like drinking a really great hug.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

emotive posted:

Wishing I bought Monkey Shoulder instead of Dewars 12 year after seeing reviews. New to scotches and wanted to pick up something cheapish... not much of a fan I don’t think.

edit: With an ice cube, I'm enjoying it MUCH more.

Monkey Shoulder is amazing value for how good it is.

I've loved all of the blends I've had from Compass Box as well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Had this over the weekend, right up my alley

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

So whay do you think Barb was drinking when she died

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Josh Lyman posted:

Had this over the weekend, right up my alley

Is that the same NAS Taketsuru that's on sale at Costco?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

So whay do you think Barb was drinking when she died

Regular Jim Beam. She died so she didn't have to drink any more.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

DerekSmartymans posted:

They probably serve it in Hell.

Related

https://youtu.be/4tTkOfp27iU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DerekSmartymans posted:

Still beats Jack.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Vox Nihili posted:

Still beats Jack.

Jack is not bourbon 🥃.

And yes, JD is even worse.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I was going to say that I used to drink Jim Beam Rye, but my local TW shows it as being $7 more than Old Overholt and only $2 less than Rittenhouse. So, that's basically not a product I'd ever recommend at the price point.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DerekSmartymans posted:

Jack is not bourbon 🥃.

And yes, JD is even worse.

It meets all the requirements to be a straight bourbon, so it is in fact a bourbon. They just call it Tennessee Whiskey to be *~special~*.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

KozmoNaut posted:

It meets all the requirements to be a straight bourbon, so it is in fact a bourbon. They just call it Tennessee Whiskey to be *~special~*.

I know. As a person who lived in all three divisions of TN in 43 years, I stand by what I said.

The folks in Lynchburg get mad if you call it "bourbon ."

:banjo:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My first ever (and worst) whiskey drunk was on Jack Green label. I was 16 or 17. My friend stole the bottle from his dad's liquor cabinet and we drank it all. Thought I was going to die. For many years after the only whiskey that didn't make me retch was Wild Turkey.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

wormil posted:

My first ever (and worst) whiskey drunk was on Jack Green label. I was 16 or 17. My friend stole the bottle from his dad's liquor cabinet and we drank it all. Thought I was going to die. For many years after the only whiskey that didn't make me retch was Wild Turkey.

A buddy of mine got his first drunk on a bottle of Jack, threw up, blacked out, the whole deal. Set him off whiskey for a while. A couple of years later, he was near the distillery and decided to visit on a whim. As soon as he walked in, the smell hit him and he threw up right there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

wormil posted:

Jack Green Label is actually way better than the original though???

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Do you guys re-use your bottles for anything? I like my High West bottle and I want to use it for water (in the house), but would the cork "go bad" if its constantly getting wet?

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

KozmoNaut posted:

AFAIK bourbon requirements are stricter than whiskeys, but bourbon is a Kentucky thing and Tennessee folks like their whiskey

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

bourbon is a Kentucky thing

Bourbon can be made, and labeled as such, in any state in the Union.

http://www.ascendantspirits.com/breaker-bourbon/

Buellton, California, for example.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
I meant culturally. Tennessee folks aint like to call their firewater "bourbon"

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

obi_ant posted:

Do you guys re-use your bottles for anything? I like my High West bottle and I want to use it for water (in the house), but would the cork "go bad" if its constantly getting wet?

When you're removing them, very old corks break apart in the bottle and usually fall in. If you're just keeping water in the bottle knock yourself out, the worst you'll do is ruin some water.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Officially, any TN whiskey must go through a sugar-maple charcoal filtering process to be labeled as such. Whether or not this imparts any distinct flavor, I have no idea.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

obi_ant posted:

Yeah, I have two that I use for "eternal blends", the final drops of any good bottles I finish. One for peated, one for unpeated.

I'm also going to use one for a soap dispenser, I saw that in a bar once.

For water bottles, I would think the corks would grow mold eventually, but you can get plastic/rubber stoppers instead.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I know it's boring but Macallan is by far my favorite scotch. Usually the 12 year. Looks like those are all yearless bottles or whatever we're calling it? Guess I'm okay with that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

I know it's boring but Macallan is by far my favorite scotch. Usually the 12 year. Looks like those are all yearless bottles or whatever we're calling it? Guess I'm okay with that.

The bottle on the right is Macallan M, which costs about $5400.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

The bottle on the right is Macallan M, which costs about $5400.

Just squish a fly between the 4 and the 0 and hope nobody at the counter notices. :ninja:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Huh. Guess that explains why I've never heard of it. :v:

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

So I have a few minutes with Dave Broom. Anything I should ask?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I'm kind of surprised by the redbreast love. After years of hype and not being able to get it in Canada, I was finally able to get a bottle, and its just really really meh. Just kind of bland and not very memorable. I feel the same way about Jamesons, but drink a ton of it since most bars seem to have it on special all the time.

I'm also very disappointed in the state of Canadian whiskey. For a people who love rye and cokes and double rye and gingers (if you are from Saskatchewan) we don't make much that's worth a drat. The only Canadian whiskey I would recommend to people is Alberta Premium which for the longest time was the only 100% rye out there.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Am I correct in thinking that Canada doesn't make a legal distinction between blended and straight whisky, at least in the context of how Canadian whisky is labeled?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I am at Jack Rose in DC. They have 3,000 bottles and the largest collection in the Western Hemisphere. Pricey though.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

Am I correct in thinking that Canada doesn't make a legal distinction between blended and straight whisky, at least in the context of how Canadian whisky is labeled?

Yea, the bar is super low. It has to be mashed and distilled in Canada and be at least 3 years old. That's it

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Demon_Corsair posted:

I'm kind of surprised by the redbreast love. After years of hype and not being able to get it in Canada, I was finally able to get a bottle, and its just really really meh. Just kind of bland and not very memorable. I feel the same way about Jamesons, but drink a ton of it since most bars seem to have it on special all the time.

I'm also very disappointed in the state of Canadian whiskey. For a people who love rye and cokes and double rye and gingers (if you are from Saskatchewan) we don't make much that's worth a drat. The only Canadian whiskey I would recommend to people is Alberta Premium which for the longest time was the only 100% rye out there.

Everyone's got their own personal taste, but really, Alberta Premium? Forty Creek is way better, and only $2 more around here.

Alberta Premium is the poo poo you drink out of a plastic bottle at the back of the bus.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I bought a pint of Crown Vanilla for shits and giggles, it tastes exactly how you imagine. Don't buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

Everyone's got their own personal taste, but really, Alberta Premium? Forty Creek is way better, and only $2 more around here.

Alberta Premium is the poo poo you drink out of a plastic bottle at the back of the bus.

Nah, thats Alberta Pure. Alberta Premium has been in glass bottles for a few years now. And its a little rough to drink straight but it makes a fantastic manhatten. Their dark horse is good straight up.