Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hey, that's not what I said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Any more reactions to Regalia? I was turned off by the comments that it is a mediocre PC port.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

a.lo posted:

Link should definitely marry in one of them Zelda games.

I agree, he and Sidon would be very happy together

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If your dream Star Fox game isn't entirely a rail shooter then your dreams are wrong and you should see a psychologist.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bongo Bill posted:

If your dream Star Fox game isn't entirely a rail shooter then your dreams are wrong and you should see a psychologist.

I like All-Range Mode.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Warbird posted:

We’ve got a fairly beefy power strip handling “not frying everything” duty. I could see a UPS for my desktop, but that seems a bit overkill for a tv and switch.

Plug you monitor and PC in to the UPS with your TV and Switch. It's definitely worth it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the Yiga clan hideout might be my single least favorite part in any video game.

E: that’s hyperbole but I don’t like it at all.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 16, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Plug you monitor and PC in to the UPS with your TV and Switch. It's definitely worth it.

Wait so am I understanding correctly? Messing with the power source on the switch or a TV can improve the image quality? I might be misinterpreting this convesation entirely

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

veni veni veni posted:

I think the Yiga clan hideout might be my single least favorite part in any video game.

Drop bananas to distract them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

I agree, I have two of them. One for my computer and another for my router and media server. Each one has enough power for 30 minutes.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

veni veni veni posted:

Fly over everything, and bolt when you get caught. You'll make it out before anything kills you. At least, that's how I cheesed it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

It was stupid bullshit and even with the bananas it was awful. Know you aren’t alone in your hatred.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

its a unique dungeon thing and thats p cool in a game that forgot to do that anywhere else

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I didn't like it either even tho the mechanics in BotW could have decently supported a stealth section. The really small, boxed-in areas and low ceilings that limit your vertical mobility feel totally antithetical to the way that like literally every other area in the game (including other indoors ones) worked and the whole segment seems like it's cut content from a pre-BotW Zelda game that somehow got thrown into this one. It's short and easy though, and discovering the secret stashes in their hideout is cool, so as far as low points go it didn't really stick out enough to kill my vibe. Even though it's pretty simple the boss fight at the end is pretty fun/funny too, so I mostly give it a pass

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Real hurthling! posted:

its a unique dungeon thing and thats p cool in a game that forgot to do that anywhere else

All four divine beasts were built around fairly significantly different mechanics

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I hated the Yiga thing, it went against the cool "try whatever and maybe it will work" mechanics of the rest of the game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

High point of the game to me btw is Hyrule Castle . I didn't hate the Divine Beasts but if they were more like Hyrule Castle I would have been so happy. The bits leading up to them were cool. it the dungeons themselves were anticlimactic and it felt like something I just had to get through before I got back to the "real game" -- meanwhile, Hyrule Castle was an enclosed dungeon area that actually felt like it incorporated all the freeform exploration elements that made the rest of the game so great and I loving loved it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Playing through a non-destroyed version of Hyrule Castle would have been pretty cool.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

All four divine beasts were built around fairly significantly different mechanics

Oh for sure

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was really hoping the second DLC would have been a prequel or something where we could see pre-calamity ganon Hyrule. I've always loved exploring the worlds of Zelda games and I'm always sad there's never a post game "run around and check out all the cool poo poo now that everything's back to normal" mode.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

A majora's mask type-DLC for BOTW would be dope - set it in the same map but give the player a rune that lets them reverse time in certain areas so you can see past/present stuff, explore hyrule castle in the past or reach areas otherwise inaccessible by flipping between the two or whatever

edit: im sad now that this isnt happening

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

A majora's mask type-DLC for BOTW would be dope - set it in the same map but give the player a rune that lets them reverse time in certain areas so you can see past/present stuff, explore hyrule castle in the past or reach areas otherwise inaccessible by flipping between the two or whatever

That sounds like more of an Oracle of Ages thing. Which would be dope.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Dlc?
Nintendo would charge 80 dollars for that and a cardboard time hat

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What about a post windwaker subnautica style submarine zelda game?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

goferchan posted:

High point of the game to me btw is Hyrule Castle . I didn't hate the Divine Beasts but if they were more like Hyrule Castle I would have been so happy. The bits leading up to them were cool. it the dungeons themselves were anticlimactic and it felt like something I just had to get through before I got back to the "real game" -- meanwhile, Hyrule Castle was an enclosed dungeon area that actually felt like it incorporated all the freeform exploration elements that made the rest of the game so great and I loving loved it

That's how I feel about all dungeons, tbh. :shrug: The thing I like best in Zelda games is exploring. In most games, dungeons are these annoying things I have to do from time to time to give me the tools to explore more. I liked the different gimmicks in the Diving Beasts and they didn't drag on the way a lot of dungeons do.

So BotW is basically my perfect Zelda game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The dungeons are usually my favorite part of a Zelda, but Breath of the Wild having such limited and perfunctory ones was the right choice for that game. Keeps the focus on the real star, the exterior. But I hope the pendulum swings back a bit for the next one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Silver Falcon posted:

That's how I feel about all dungeons, tbh. :shrug: The thing I like best in Zelda games is exploring. In most games, dungeons are these annoying things I have to do from time to time to give me the tools to explore more. I liked the different gimmicks in the Diving Beasts and they didn't drag on the way a lot of dungeons do.

So BotW is basically my perfect Zelda game.

You should go hiking

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you walk through the correct part of a town in Xenoblade with the rare Blade Dahlia equipped, it'll trigger a two or three minute fully voiced cutscene where a little girl runs up and tells Dahlia she's pretty. It's not part of a subquest or anything, it's just a little extra thing.

This game has so much loving stuff in it, jesus christ.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

If you walk through the correct part of a town in Xenoblade with the rare Blade Dahlia equipped, it'll trigger a two or three minute fully voiced cutscene where a little girl runs up and tells Dahlia she's pretty. It's not part of a subquest or anything, it's just a little extra thing.

This game has so much loving stuff in it, jesus christ.

Xenoblade is truly packed, and for all of its flaws that's something I seriously unironically respect . I need to finish it-- I'm like within an hour of the final
boss and I uninstalled it to free up space which is a bad habit i have with RPGs. Hell, speaking of BotW, I still haven't beaten that either even though I'vedonee everything but a few spare shrines I haven't stumbled across

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
So, I'm probably getting a Switch tomorrow, along with BOTW, and Mario Odyssey. I've read about the switch getting scratched when putting it into the dock, and also that it can warp due to heat. I'm guessing these aren't that wide spread, as they'd be getting bad press like the Red Ring of Death. Has anyone here experienced any of these issues?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The "screen scratch in dock" issue seemed to stem from poorly packaged docks; since it's just plastic, things that weren't shipped in proper boxes (like some of the early press review copies) were prone to being squished inwards and thus too tight. Wedging a book in it for awhile fixes the issue but it doesn't seem to be A Thing recently.

One or two people ITT posted warped switch pictures but it wasn't affecting actual play, I don't know if there was any followup but I assume they got them RMA'd.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Kragger99 posted:

So, I'm probably getting a Switch tomorrow, along with BOTW, and Mario Odyssey. I've read about the switch getting scratched when putting it into the dock, and also that it can warp due to heat. I'm guessing these aren't that wide spread, as they'd be getting bad press like the Red Ring of Death. Has anyone here experienced any of these issues?

I haven't. Just keep an eye on the right top corner of the Switch screen. If it starts puffing out, it's a 1st gen battery and Nintendo will replace it really quickly. I 3D printed a replacement front for my switch dock, but before that I had this sleeve, just-in case.

Either way, get a screen protector.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kragger99 posted:

The scratching thing was due to warped docks and/or people slamming the switch into the dock all willy nilly. Put a glass screen protector on it and you won't have that issue. I don't know what the warped switch thing was all about, but I haven't heard anything about it except for that one time. Plenty of people play their switch exclusively in the dock and their switches aren't warped.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Awesome, thanks for the responses. I did order a screen protector as well. I always put those on all my phones/handhelds.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
If you stuff your switch into a closed backpack while it's on, it's going to get warped.

But just being in the dock can't warp it. The Switch doesn't generate enough heat for that to happen.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I never put a protector on it and it hasn't been scratched, nor did it warp. I am sure there's some truth to these things but I don't think you need to be overly worried.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
My dock was bent inward.

You can see the flaw in the manufacturing process, too. There's a small gap on the inside where two different plastic pieces are manufactured and then stuck together. The bend is caused by the outer piece not having quite enough plastic to push itself up straight. To fix the bend, I cut out four tiiiiny pieces out of a business card, like each cutout being just barely larger than the "-" symbol on the Pro controller's minus button, then I stacked two cutouts and shoved them into the inner left gap and the other two into the gap on the inner right.

That was enough to fix the issue. A tiny wedge, two business cards thick, bent the front of the dock back into being straight.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 16, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

If you stuff your switch into a closed backpack while it's on, it's going to get warped.

But just being in the dock can't warp it. The Switch doesn't generate enough heat for that to happen.

Actually on? Or in rest mode? Because I don’t know why anyone would do the first and why anyone wouldn’t do the second

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Bzz, wrong. It's not the switch itself warping, it's battery swelling. A lot of them were first-gen units that let the battery get pretty hot during charging, in the dock, in standby. A software update tightened the battery temperature limits during charging in sleep mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

veni veni veni posted:

Actually on? Or in rest mode? Because I don’t know why anyone would do the first and why anyone wouldn’t do the second

As in actually on. Rest mode should be fine if you don't keep the Switch in there for ages.

• Locked thread