Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've never played Shenmue so this sounds hoipe as gently caress honestly.

These games and Panzer Dragoon 1 2 and Saga are the games I thought never would be rereleased. There’s hope for those Saturn games still, even if it means reverse engineering it with roms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I want a Crimewave remaster, the game where you play as a police car that explodes criminals cars with grenades and rocket launchers isometrically

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

the English VA sucks because Yu Suzuki insisted on actors that were on-site in Japan and bore some real-world resemblance to the characters they were acting, meaning all the actually talented actors weren't eligible and the VA director had to fly random people over from the US who met the criteria

thats awesome

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

the English VA sucks because Yu Suzuki insisted on actors that were on-site in Japan and bore some real-world resemblance to the characters they were acting, meaning all the actually talented actors weren't eligible and the VA director had to fly random people over from the US who met the criteria

that pwns

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Yu! - said like Soulja Boy Tell Em

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
tnheres a song in lisa that samples some guys weird grunt sound from shenmue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZlj2p8W9M this one

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ween posted:

Serious post time:

Shenmue is, no joke, the father of modern gaming. Just about everything you can think of that is common in AAA games today, was pioneered in Shenmue. Even little things you wouldn't expect, like procedural generating forests, stems from Shenmue. When Shenmue was in production, it was something that was literally 15 years too early. Insanely ground breaking.

In terms of gameplay, it's a mix of an adventure game kinda like Heavy Rain, albeit more open, and an action RPG, with the combat itself being lifted from Virtua Fighter. You train, you level up, you learn new moves. In Shenmue I, the focus is on day to day living, perhaps more like harvest moon or any other daily sim game, but shenmue II is much more of a story focused game, with a much bigger emphasis on underground fighting tournaments. There isn't much combat in shenmue I, where shenmue II is full of it.

Unfortunately, the format shift between shenmue I and shenmue II ruined some of the more ambitious aspects. Example, even though there isn't much fighting in Shenmue I, there is a dojo where you can train and level up, and the game highly encourages it. THis is because, when you get to shenmue II, the moves you learned carried over, so you'd have a custom-made fighter for Shenmue II that would affect your approach to the underground fighting tournaments. But since Shenmue I was on the dreamcast, and shenmue II in the us was on the xbox, they couldn't transfer saves, and thus they just basically gave you all the moves in the US version of shenmue II, ruining the character-building.

The story itself is classic wuxia kung fu. It begins grounded with a mystery -- you come home and see your father murdered before your eyes by a chinese man named Lan Di. Your father, who was a martial arts master, hands of a sacred mirror to Lan Di before Lan Di performs a forbidden and fatal technique on your father. In his last dying moments, he begs you to keep your friends close. Ryo vows in that moment to avenge his father's death.

Pretty much all of Shenmue I is focused on beginning your adventure, i.e. raising money to travel to china to begin your quest. As such, it's kinda light on story. You discover that the mirror your father handed over was part of a pair, and that he had hidden the other mirror on the grounds of his dojo which Ryo finds. These mirrors are ancient magics, and it's said whoever holds both of them can summon a dragon that will devour the world.

Shenmue II is where everything really kicks into high gear. Ryo travels to china and finds out more about Lan Di, the mirror, and his own destiny. Throughout Shenmue I and II there is a repeated legend that is narrated:

He shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea,
A young man who has yet to know his potential,
This potential is a power that could either destroy him or realize his will,
His courage shall determine his fate,
The path he must traverse, fraught with adversity, I await whilst praying,
For this destiny predetermined since ancient times,
A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light,
And thus the saga… Begins…

You uncover that your father and Lan Di had a shared past, that there is a secret society of martial arts masters who are trying to gather the mirrors, and that there is a young woman living in the mountains that Ryo has been destined to meet for hundreds of years. This young woman seemingly has otherworldly powers and can communicate with nature in strange, unknown ways. In their brief time together, Ryo sees her do a number of pretty weird, mystical things.

Along the way, you also go through a surprisingly star-wars like adventure. You meet Ren of Heavens, for example -- probably the closest Shenmue has to a Han Solo. You fight crime lords. You travel to the ancient walled city of Kowloon. It's great. Shenmue II ends with a massive, massive cliff hanger, just as the story reaches it's climax. That's why people have been dying for it.

The other side of why this is such a requested series is because of YU SUZUKI. This is his magnum opus. His life's work. Yu Suzuki is Mr. Sega. Think of a classic sega game that ISN'T Sonic or Shinobi, and Yu Suzuki was involved. Yu Suzuki was the heart and soul of Sega's arcade empire. Hang On, Space Harrier, Outrun, Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter, Daytona USA, etc -- all Yu Suzuki. Shenmue was basically the last thing he was ever allowed to work on. When the Dreamcast died, Sega's best developer was given a "window seat" where he was technically still an employee, but not allowed to make anything. For 20 years, he was on the "window seat." Imagine if Shigeru Miyamoto disappeared after Mario 64 and wasn't allowed to make games. THat's what happened with Yu Suzuki.

Shenmue III is Yu Suzuki's grand return to gaming. And Shenmue III is being made by a restored version of AM2, his classic team.

The hype for Shenmue III is real.
gently caress, you hyped me for it. Now I have to play everything.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Palpek posted:

gently caress, you hyped me for it. Now I have to play everything.

Okay. You could start by making me a sick avatar as payment.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

You drive a hard bargain but I'll try cooking something up. You need to tell me what games to cross over though and if it's your old brand or are we stapling weens on video game characters now ot what.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Palpek posted:

You drive a hard bargain but I'll try cooking something up. You need to tell me what games to cross over though and if it's your old brand or are we stapling weens on video game characters now ot what.

lol. Let’s go with Ween+SMT+Bowser. The triple

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Anything to get rid of this massive loving homo you've had for a year.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Citizen Kane? More like Citizen Pain... in my rear end! I’d rather have Orson Welles take a massive chili dump on my face than watch this turd

The Turd Man

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://kotaku.com/sega-announces-a-mega-drive-mini-1825262924

Maybe the fifth time ATgames get the emulation right

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ween posted:

lol. Let’s go with Ween+SMT+Bowser. The triple

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Mods?

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Lol thank you palpek. I’m sure the boys in PHIZ are gonna go wild over this

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZy80khfFjE

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

power is power

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Thank you Sega
https://twitter.com/SonicNewsCentrl/status/985674032228990976

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

OP when you wrote the title were you thinking in the voice of the NXT/WWE Universe.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

thank you Sega

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Wormskull posted:

OP when you wrote the title were you thinking in the voice of the NXT/WWE Universe.

Lol yes

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lmfao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Dreamcast Era Virtua Fighter Model Walking Around In The Ring With His Hands Up Thank you Sega! Thank you Sega!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Ween posted:

Lol yes

lol

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Wormskull posted:

Dreamcast Era Virtua Fighter Model Walking Around In The Ring With His Hands Up Thank you Sega! Thank you Sega!

Mfao

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

HEY SEGA.. [hhh gets the big sausage face]....

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I read the title in the Wind Waker Beedle voice.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ween posted:

HEY SEGA.. [hhh gets the big sausage face]....

lmao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

I read the title in the Wind Waker Beedle voice.

nice

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ween posted:

thank you Sega

Where do I buy this

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Never played them but looking forward to being constantly reminded of the Shadenmue thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Thank you Sega