Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

sheep-dodger posted:

5. The Siblings Scylla and Charybdis are looking for an ambitious amphibious Dungeon builder. The straits that are inhabited by the siblings have recently seen a massive decline in traffic, as explorers have found a new route to bypass their strait. They are therefore looking for an enterprising dungeoneer that will set up a new dungeon along that new route and sink ships that try to travel along it, thus funneling traffic back to the original route. Project requires a percentage quota of ships to be sunk every week that will start at 25% and rise to 90% as Dungeon construction progresses.

This seems to be thematically appropriate.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Nothing like some good old fashioned colonial invasion and resource extraction against the wishes of the locals to start off our capitalist empire.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

sheep-dodger posted:

5. The Siblings Scylla and Charybdis are looking for an ambitious amphibious Dungeon builder. The straits that are inhabited by the siblings have recently seen a massive decline in traffic, as explorers have found a new route to bypass their strait. They are therefore looking for an enterprising dungeoneer that will set up a new dungeon along that new route and sink ships that try to travel along it, thus funneling traffic back to the original route. Project requires a percentage quota of ships to be sunk every week that will start at 25% and rise to 90% as Dungeon construction progresses.

I like this one.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sheep-dodger posted:

3 is a lost cause, switching to this.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Voting for 4.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

LLSix posted:

Clever.

I thought so too.

5, 4

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I vote 4, get some capital built up for future endevors.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

sheep-dodger posted:

Sounds fun.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Overfishing? We were made for this!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

5 is a lot to ask out of the gate; let's take 4 to get our dungeon motor-limbs underneath us.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

dont be mean to me posted:

5 is a lot to ask out of the gate; let's take 4 to get our dungeon motor-limbs underneath us.

seconding this

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

4 sounds good

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Interview with a dwarf

One other add cathes her eyes.

“The Siblings Scylla and Charybdis are looking for an ambitious amphibious Dungeon builder. The straits that are inhabited by the siblings have recently seen a massive decline in traffic, as explorers have found a new route to bypass their strait. They are therefore looking for an enterprising dungeoneer that will set up a new dungeon along that new route and sink ships that try to travel along it, thus funneling traffic back to the original route. Project requires a percentage quota of ships to be sunk every week that will start at 25% and rise to 90% as Dungeon construction progresses.”

Tempting. But does she really want to be working for gods or demigods right out of collage? She thinks not. She should start safe, a nice little mining op, lots of nice damp tunnels.
She reaches out and touches the card, doing so activates the spell and she is transported to a dark room, lit only by a single magical globe right above the summoning circle she is now standing in.
In front of her sits an old, board looking dwarf. His skin is so pale it looks almost translucent, his eyes are tiny and red. Cave adaptation in action, whoever these guys are, they have spent generations outside of the light.

“Interviewee number twelve. Sarga Scrawgill.” He intones into a box in front of him. “Recent graduate with honours, no past work experience but excellent grades.” He turns to Sarga.

“I invoke the rite of confidence, you shall speak of none of what you hear here to anyone, upon pain of instant immolation.” Sarga suppresses an eye roll. Trust a bunch of isolationist dwarves to be behind the times. Most people used a rite of interview, a much more modern spell that blanks the mind off all but the successful interviewee. People can’t say what they can’t remember. Now if Sarga didn’t get the job, she would have to be careful what she said, as one wrong word, depending on how strict the caster had been in his or her wording, could lead to her catching fire.
Better get the job then.

“Understood.” she replies.
“Good. I am Recruiter Irontongue. I represent High King Goldhorde of the Deep dwarves. We have been hired by the Kingdom of Light, a petty human kingdom, to acquire resources for them for the construction of a new temple. The kingdom is populous, but only rich in foodstuffs, and cannot afford the prices their neighbours want in trade - they can however provide us with much needed food, so we are working for them in stealthily collecting what they need. We have access to most of what they want, but they are asking for a large quantity of sapphires, and we have been unable to find a source we can access. The Sapphire Isles have a large deposit, but the area is far too moist and sunny for us.” It’s hard for Sarga to decide which of the two words the dwarf had more distaste for. But she can’t judge, that’s why they were subcontracting this part of the operation, if Sarga needed something from a desert region, she’d do the same - it was already to dry in here for her, she could feel her skin tightening as the dwarf droned on.

“We wish to hire someone to mine twenty crates of sapphires for us. What is your bid?” The dwarf asks. So it was one of those interviews then. They didn’t really care about how much experience she had, the tightfisted little albinos just wanted the lowest bid. Sarga did some quick maths, she would need something or someone to do the mining….

“A Question, Recruiter.” asked, and the dwarf nodded. “Is the island populated, and if so, how expendable are the locals deemed?”
“As long as the name of our clients is kept out of this, and we get our Sapphires, we don’t care if you raze the entire island.” The dwarf replies. Sarga things quickly, she don’t want to seem desperate, but she also wants the job.
“In that case, I am sure that I will be able to do this job for two thousand gold pieces.” she announces. She looks for a reaction from the dwarf, but see none.
“Your bid has been accepted. Please wait.” He replies. Things go dark for a second then she is back in the circle.
“I am happy to announce you have won the bidding. We have deposited two thousand gold pieces into your account at the Bank of Woe and will be contacting you in three weeks for our first shipment of Sapphires. We look forward to your deliveries.” With that she is back in the Pyramid.

Surrounding her are fifteen other people, all blinking in the light of the room. A holding spell. The dwarves had left the advert open for several days before doing all the interviews at the same time. Dammit, how long was she gone - then she overhears another of the interviewees asking a passer by - three days had passed. But at least she had the job!

Making her way back down to the ground floor, she stops off at the stables, the last of her personal money is used to pay for the fees for her chariots. She’s annoyed to see that Pinky has eaten Brains leg again. It’ll grow back, but it makes her exit from the Pyramid less dramatic.
Making her way through the city, she returns to her room at the academy. She had a week’s grace to move out, but had already packed most of her things into crates. She was not expecting to linger her any longer.

On her desk was a scrying globe. She sat down and concentrated on the sapphire Isles - trying to find a place for her new mine. Several options presented themselves.

1 - A natural cave system - this was a ready made, if rather small, base of operations. It would speed up the initial setup, but the locals may well know of the entrance.

2 - A cliff in the side of the island. She would need to burrow in, but it would be hard for outsiders to reach once she did.

3 - The coral reef. She might be able to forge a lair there, it would be well concealed, but the waters above would have fishermen visiting regularly.

4 - A deep trench. This is safe, secure, but on the other side of the reef. So it would take some time to reach the island and its gems.

5- Wait, what’s that? (Standard free choice)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

5: What at first glance appeared to be a rocky promontory reveals itself upon further scrutiny to be the algae-festooned hull of a sunken dwarven treasure hulk. Its stem-stern line implied it was heading for the isles, not from, so it wouldn't be an easy source of gems, but its size, depth and the fact that it was already showing signs of nascent reef growth meant it had potential.

Or, 4,3

Announced this update on the cyoa discord, btw

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 16, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

3. Comfortable, well-concealed, and with an easy source of biomass right there.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

This

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
5. An area of Rigid Vortex Zones where multiple vortexs circles in static motion. Figuring out its rotation pattern would create a quick and gravitation weight reducing route of naval transpotation. Getting caught in one unprepared could get annoying and triple the recovery effort. Not that it will ever happen under my watch.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Security is paramount, and it would be an excellent test of our mining techniques.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Let's go with 2. It's more work up front, but it means a secure and private lair.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

The sunken ship idea is nice for flavor. Maybe there is one in the reef already.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

The reef could be very easily converted into a defensive system with a gentle nudge, and the fishermen can easily be picked off as they come to get more intel on the locals.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
3, who cares what they do up top. Or we can eat them/enslave them/become their new god

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Sinking ships is easy. As is kidnapping sailors.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

malbogio posted:

The sunken ship idea is nice for flavor. Maybe there is one in the reef already.

I like it. Also just think how pretty the reef would be. Relaxing to sharks swimming past

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Azhais posted:

I like it. Also just think how pretty the reef would be. Relaxing to sharks swimming past

Voting 3 for the abundance of :science: that can be done on the local wildlife! Can anyone else say rock-eating parrotfish?

E: vvv They’re lookers, aren’t they? vvv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-blz2ghKOU

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 17, 2018

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dem teef :stare:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Fishermen? More like Fresh Meat.

Kid Blink
Feb 24, 2013

Of course, the whole point of
a Doomsday Machine is lost if
you KEEP IT A SECRET!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Outrail posted:

3, who cares what they do up top. Or we can eat them/enslave them/become their new god

I am agreeing with Outrail on a thing. What even is the world.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Everything’s better, down where it’s wetter.

Who could turn down a picturesque coral lair with a steady supply of unsuspecting humans? Not Sarga Scrawgill! She waves her hand over the scrying globe and packs it into its box. She then summons the Academies porter zombies (Never flunk out of a school for monsters.) to begin moving her personal belongings back to the Pyramid of Opportunities.

Rapidly outpacing the sluggish zombies, she stops at the Bank of Woe and opens her account properly. She moves top the first till and places her hand on the globe.

“Your account currently stands a 2,000 gold pieces. Would you like to cast a Payspell?”
“Yes. Password is Scraawmma-k’k’k’Gah.” Her mother's maiden name. The globe changes to a dark green colour and below it a small rectangular strip of obsidian is dispensed.
“Your account has been authorized for Payspell payments. Please use the provided foci and your password to make remote payments.” It was much safer than carrying a huge pile of gold around - not that huge piles of gold didn’t have their place, but this was an extraction contract, not an attraction one.

She resumed her trip to the Pyramid. Arriving there and waiting a few minutes for her belongings to groan and stagger up to her, she then joins the que for the portal. Once it is her turn, she intends her destination, imagining the point she saw through her scrying glass, the world flashes for a second, then she is under water, the crates containing her belongings settling to the sea bed around her.

The coral reef is beautiful. The sea is a deep blue colour, and the reef itself is multicoloured, as are the multitude of aquatic life that swim around it.
It’s a paradise.
You are here to change that.

Time to get building!

A short update, but lots of choices now. I’m also going to introduce two resources. Money and Mana. Money is simple, to exchange this to get people or goods. Mana is what you need to cast spells. It regenerates slowly (1 a day base), but is free. As we did not major or minor in magic, we have 40 mana at this time.
I don’t intend to be to stat heavy, but some things need tracking, mana is basically there to stop you using magic to solve all problems.

We need to start construction of our lair - we need a room and a lab to begin with. But we have some options on what and how to build.

We need a bedroom, and with the plan being to perform hideous experiments on the islanders, we will also need a lab and some cells. These are the base costs, but your knowledge of architecture will, hopefully reduce these costs somewhat.

1 - Do we cast a spell to shape the coral into the rooms we need.
A - A large bedroom or Lab/cell area would be 15 mana each.
B - A small bedroom or Lab/cell area would be 5 mana each.
Magical construction would take three days.

2 - Do we hire some deep ones to build us a lair under the coral reef?
A - A large bedroom or Lab/cell area would be 300 Gold each
B - A small bedroom or Lab/cell area would be 100 gold each
Physical construction would take a week.

We also need some equipment.

3 - What kind of equipment do we want?
A - Basic lab equipment is 250 gold
B - Good lab equipment is 500 gold
C - excellent lab equipment is 1000 gold.

4- Finally, what about our room.
A - Just a basic room - 0 gold/mana - comes with construction.
B - a fine room - 50 gold. For a nice sea anemone bed.
C - A channeling room - 10 mana, but doubles our mana regeneration rate to 2 a day!

We will not be getting any more gold off the Dwarves, but may be able to find other sources. Mana is a very useful resource, and can be used on more than just construction.
So spend carefully.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How portable is lab equipment? Assuming a successful conclusion to this engagement and/or a graceful withdrawal, would we be able to take it with us to our next gig?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

How portable is lab equipment? Assuming a successful conclusion to this engagement and/or a graceful withdrawal, would we be able to take it with us to our next gig?

Yeah, it should be movable.

We won't be getting any more gold for this venture, unless we can come up with some other way of gaining it, but we can start accumulating resources.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Then I vote
1 - nothing
2 - Large lab area/cellblock, small bedroom (400 gold) - get some Deep Ones to build our lair. Good, traditional Union craftsmen.
3B We need decent equipment to work our speciality, but blowing half our total net worth is too much. Especially if we turn out to have to flee our crumbling lair vowing revenge.
4C - Investment now reaps dividends later. Only a week and a half to be mana-neutral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

1A
3B
4C