Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Lightning Knight posted:

So uh, not to interrupt Channel Awesome fun times, but there's a guy named nerdSlayer I've been watching who has a fun series he does called "Death of a Game." Typically it's been about how this or that MMO game flamed out but there's been other stuff, such as the history of Visceral Games and Troika Games. I haven't watched all of his videos but the ones I have, have been enjoyable.

The most recent one was on FireFall.

I like that new intro he has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anyone remember the weird Nine lives of Garfield movie? IIRC it had a sequence pretty obviously inspired by plague dogs.

The most (only) ambitious thing Jim Davis has ever done. It expanded my mind as a young kid expecting only safe, stale humor and Lorenzo Music’s dulcet voice.

Given the Lorenzo Music connection, it might make good material for Phelan some day.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

He supported GamerGate. Generally from what I've gleamed of Larry, he's a bit of an anti-PC conservative-ish person.

From everything I've heard, that's more former. I heard he doesn't agree with that anymore? I mean, he's not like as left as me or the majority of this thread, but not that anymore,

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Linear Zoetrope posted:

From everything I've heard, that's more former. I heard he doesn't agree with that anymore? I mean, he's not like as left as me or the majority of this thread, but not that anymore,

Larry's just an extremely knee-jerk guy who tends to side with anyone claiming to be CENSORED or the like. I don't think he's hateful, just really kinda dumb and tends to assume that actually both sides have extremes that are equally bad and we can't talk about one without the other. Hardly the worst guy like that but it's annoying none the less and has led to him siding with some really gross people before realizing 'oh, woops, think I'm the rear end in a top hat here'.

Him dedicating his week to loving with CA as it implodes has been a strong tally in his favor.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He seems like the rare human who actually would be really motivated to criticize computer magazines for a lack of rigor and maybe not pick up on the horde’s real motives until a few weeks later.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has there ever been a more misjudged use of production-funds than the Firefall bus?

Star Citizen, three years into production and in a move that would only increase dev-time, announced it has a story-module were the characters are all mo-capped by actors you've heard of, like Gary Oldman.

This was in late-2015 and the game still isn't finished. I highly doubt there'll be more than ten seconds of Oldman in the final product. Wasn't this supposed to be Freelancer but with more content?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 16, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

business hammocks posted:

He seems like the rare human who actually would be really motivated to criticize computer magazines for a lack of rigor and maybe not pick up on the horde’s real motives until a few weeks later.

yea from what I remember (god I hope I'm not wrong) he was like, genuinely invested in asking why hobby magazines and sites weren't PROPERLY INVESTIGATING things and not understanding the answer is 'they don't care, no one actually cares, this is a smokescreen'.

Like, he was in the smokescreen and going 'guys can we talk about all this smoke? Fuckin crazy, right? Why aren't you talking about this smoke? Smoke is bad, dude...' It was almost cute except for it ending with him caping for nazis and poo poo

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

business hammocks posted:

That's mostly true tbh, especially when such things as games mags historically sucking are in his wheelhouse (and mine tbh) he didn't say much about it after the early days.

Larry isn't so much a "both sides have their extremes" person as he is a "just not terribly political at all" person.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
MarzGurl addresses the Carmical issue.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

khwarezm posted:

I like that new intro he has.

It's extremely silly and nerdy, just like him. :allears:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Wow, I can't imagine how one would feel after 6 months of work on a movie dedicated to a deceased friend, only to find out that friend did horrible poo poo.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 16, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Edit - Holy gently caress am I in the wrong thread.

Truly, this thread really is a black hole that we all get sucked into.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Kunster posted:

Oh hey, everyone's fave ShapeShifting 4 armed 3 eyed cat shaped being has posted the Cabin Fever Dreams of this year!

I wonder if the first few seconds of his vids are supposed to get weirdly muted due to high frequencies or my wireless headphones are just messed up.

I've only just began binging his stuff but is Nick usually this sassy? He's such a jokester in this video, although his charms work on me.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anyone remember the weird Nine lives of Garfield movie? IIRC it had a sequence pretty obviously inspired by plague dogs.

Lab Animal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkdvyc92_8w

Prolly the best part of that video - if you can watch it outside of the context of Garfield. Kick-rear end music too.

DoctorGonzo1969
Apr 8, 2018

sexpig by night posted:

Larry's just an extremely knee-jerk guy who tends to side with anyone claiming to be CENSORED or the like. I don't think he's hateful, just really kinda dumb and tends to assume that actually both sides have extremes that are equally bad and we can't talk about one without the other. Hardly the worst guy like that but it's annoying none the less and has led to him siding with some really gross people before realizing 'oh, woops, think I'm the rear end in a top hat here'.

Him dedicating his week to loving with CA as it implodes has been a strong tally in his favor.

Yeah, he's not the worst person to be associated with GG but he's got his flaws that are frustrating.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DoubleCakes posted:

I've only just began binging his stuff but is Nick usually this sassy? He's such a jokester in this video, although his charms work on me.

He's usually a little more dry, yeah.

I wouldn't mind it so much if it didn't feel like the horrible skits from Channel Awesome Classic. It adds nothing and doesn't suit his performance style.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

He varies, some videos are dryer, but stuff like his Night Vale video is more on the schticky side. Personally, I think he's got a nice balance of deadpan and schtick.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kim Justice posted:

That's mostly true tbh, especially when such things as games mags historically sucking are in his wheelhouse (and mine tbh) he didn't say much about it after the early days.

Larry isn't so much a "both sides have their extremes" person as he is a "just not terribly political at all" person.

From what little I've seen from videos by people like Larry and Ashens, it seems like UK game magazines had way worse problems than I recall US magazines ever having. The one that stands out was that video Ashens did on Renegade 3, where magazines gave it glowing reviews, when in reality, the game barely functioned.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

From what little I've seen from videos by people like Larry and Ashens, it seems like UK game magazines had way worse problems than I recall US magazines ever having. The one that stands out was that video Ashens did on Renegade 3, where magazines gave it glowing reviews, when in reality, the game barely functioned.

Oh yes, plenty of that sort of thing - not that it's UK specific at all, you can be sure many US mags are guilty cause hey, games journalism is mostly pretty poo poo and publishers do carry a hell of a lot of sway over some folk who are afraid of giving games a bad score lest the pubs pull ads. Thus, the kicker: Yes, there are major ethical issues in games journalism. Like, all the way across the board. The actions of chuds obfuscated that alas.

If you want a fine historic UK example, check out the history of the great Amiga Power and see how many companies they utterly pissed off (Team17, Ocean, US Gold just to name three) for having the temerity to actually use a 0-100% scale properly (as in giving mediocre games 50% instead of 70%).

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I liked Charlie Brookers nonsense that he did for PCGamer back in the day like the underground pokemon battle articles. It seemed like games mags used to be more than just previews/reviews but I guess that was back when people actually bought them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kim Justice posted:

Oh yes, plenty of that sort of thing - not that it's UK specific at all, you can be sure many US mags are guilty cause hey, games journalism is mostly pretty poo poo and publishers do carry a hell of a lot of sway over some folk who are afraid of giving games a bad score lest the pubs pull ads. Thus, the kicker: Yes, there are major ethical issues in games journalism. Like, all the way across the board. The actions of chuds obfuscated that alas.

Easy example: Kane and Lynch.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Games journalism is poo poo, but anybody who's been paying attention to the wider world outside of video games the last few years (admittedly a big ask, I know) will realize that journalism in general is poo poo.

Of course, the problem with journalism isn't [whatever right wing poo poo heads are on about this week, usually women or black people], it's capitalism. :colbert:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

This was hard to watch. Jesus Christ... :smith:

Puppy Time posted:

He's usually a little more dry, yeah.

I wouldn't mind it so much if it didn't feel like the horrible skits from Channel Awesome Classic. It adds nothing and doesn't suit his performance style.

I Before E posted:

He varies, some videos are dryer, but stuff like his Night Vale video is more on the schticky side. Personally, I think he's got a nice balance of deadpan and schtick.

I don't mind it too much, I think Nick Nocturne is a very charming lovable character although I understand the Channel Awesome comparison.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Wrageowrapper posted:

I liked Charlie Brookers nonsense that he did for PCGamer back in the day like the underground pokemon battle articles. It seemed like games mags used to be more than just previews/reviews but I guess that was back when people actually bought them.

I never played the game or read the review, but I remember one of PC Gamer's more controversial reviews was the high score they gave to Sierra's Outpost, which turned out to be a really bad game. However, the issue with that was that the version they review was different than what was released.

Lightning Knight posted:

Games journalism is poo poo, but anybody who's been paying attention to the wider world outside of video games the last few years (admittedly a big ask, I know) will realize that journalism in general is poo poo.

Of course, the problem with journalism isn't [whatever right wing poo poo heads are on about this week, usually women or black people], it's capitalism. :colbert:

So long as we're talking about capitalism and the right getting angry about things (not that I think that the right specifically are angry about this in particular), is it worth bringing up the whole Bully Hunters debacle?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I have a lot of sympathy for British Games fans of Larry's era, since they all suffered collective stockholm syndrome for Amiga mascot platformers that, in America, would be junked en mass, and then the junkyards declared a Superfund site.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Max Wilco posted:

So long as we're talking about capitalism and the right getting angry about things (not that I think that the right specifically are angry about this in particular), is it worth bringing up the whole Bully Hunters debacle?

I've never heard of this but a Google search tells me it's been shut down, what's the deal?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I've never heard of this but a Google search tells me it's been shut down, what's the deal?

The gist of what I've gotten is that there was a show or event on Twitch where there was going to be a group of players for online games (the only one shown was Counter Strike) who would come in and...I guess take out players who were harassing people in game? There was a showcase where they did that in-game, but it was observed that the game-play was faked. It also turned out that the whole thing was sponsored by SteelSeries as way of selling headsets.

This was one of the first things I saw about it, which was a little discomforting.
https://twitter.com/PlatinumParagon/status/984460076818845696

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 16, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Max Wilco posted:

The gist of what I've gotten is that there was a show or event on Twitch where there was going to be a group of players for online games (the only one shown was Counter Strike) who would come in and...I guess take out players who were harassing people in game? There was a showcase where they did that in-game, but it was observed that the game-play was faked. It also turned out that the whole thing was sponsored by SteelSeries as way of selling headsets.

https://twitter.com/PlatinumParagon/status/984460076818845696

lmao of course.

The whole concept is kind of stupid but it's a good example of how the always online 24/7 streaming nature of modern gaming is ripe for abuse by both corporations and people seeking to focus on specific people.

It also begs the question, "being an rear end in a top hat in a video game" is bad, but targeted mass harassment is a whole other problem.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

lmao of course.

The whole concept is kind of stupid but it's a good example of how the always online 24/7 streaming nature of modern gaming is ripe for abuse by both corporations and people seeking to focus on specific people.

It also begs the question, "being an rear end in a top hat in a video game" is bad, but targeted mass harassment is a whole other problem.

It got exposed pretty quickly. I think it's been somewhat overshadowed by the CA Meltdown

This guy made a video about it that goes into a bit more detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYYa9wcxdaQ

EDIT: SteelSeries also posted this on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/notes/steelseries/our-statement-on-bullyhunters/10156227670083808/

quote:

BullyHunters pitched us with a simple idea - let’s work together to fight online harassment. And because we believe that’s a noble cause, we supported it.

It’s now clear that we didn’t do a good job in understanding exactly what we were supporting. And we’re sorry for that.
The way BullyHunters represented the gaming community was wrong and disingenuous. Most gamers don’t experience harassment, and more importantly, 99%+ of gamers don’t do the harassing. We’re well aware of the many faults with BullyHunters. We hear you guys, and we agree.

To clear a few things up: BullyHunters was not a viral campaign stage-managed by us. We did not hire a marketing agency to create it. We didn’t have anything to do with its execution, content or messaging. And more importantly, we would never take advantage of an issue like bullying to sell hardware. They asked us to supply some headsets, support the call for positive change, and we did.

Although we still believe in a world where harassment isn’t tolerated, it’s clear to us that BullyHunters is hurting, not helping, that cause. On Friday, we ended our support and partnership with the organization.

We apologize to those who support our brand and expect more due diligence in vetting out campaigns and partnerships we associate ourselves with.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 16, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Wow, that whole thing appears to be a complete and total clusterfuck. The sort of thing that does way more harm than good.

Anyway, don't watch that! Watch this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bYsDGkR_Ks

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 16, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The inane bullyhunters crap has unsurprisingly been picked up by a load of chuds as just another avenue to 'acceptably' harass women some more as well.

I was thoroughly unsurprised when every time I saw someone with a name referencing it in Dan's comments the other day, they were all peddling the various channer conspiracy theories.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

KayTee posted:

When I bought the thing it took me almost 6 months to work up the guts to watch it, coz I knew what it was going in - even though I was never that hard affected by Watership Down.

Kay cries at the thought of dead doggos

Don't worry, if you read the book.
The dogs survive, they're rescued by someone rowing a boat off the coast and thanks to the rear end in a top hat journalist, are reunited with Snitter's master and declared plague free. The owner was in the hospital recuperating, rather than dead and saw his dog mentioned in the paper.

Plague Dogs and Watership Down sit alongside films like Threads and other overly depressing/overly realistic (delete as appropriate) British films that traumatise a lot of people at some point.
(Which seems to be a common thing during British media in the 70's and 80's Because as far as I can tell, the UK during that time was pretty loving depressing!)

I'm also reminded of "The Animals Of Farthing Wood" which had a bunch of animal murder at a surprisingly early time of day. (I still remember watching the episode where an elderly hedgehog couple are pasted crossing a motorway).

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

DoctorWhat posted:

I have a lot of sympathy for British Games fans of Larry's era, since they all suffered collective stockholm syndrome for Amiga mascot platformers that, in America, would be junked en mass, and then the junkyards declared a Superfund site.
Hey man no need to be jealous just because you Americans were so poo poo at games that a single bad film tie in tanked your entire industry while we had a thriving home computer/demo scene.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Mr Phillby posted:

Hey man no need to be jealous just because you Americans were so poo poo at games that a single bad film tie in tanked your entire industry while we had a thriving home computer/demo scene.

:iceburn:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mr Phillby posted:

This is both incredibly true and reminds me of that presentation Ashens did about Hareraiser a while back.

Not to say that's really equivalent or anything, mind.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Venmoch posted:

I'm also reminded of "The Animals Of Farthing Wood" which had a bunch of animal murder at a surprisingly early time of day. (I still remember watching the episode where an elderly hedgehog couple are pasted crossing a motorway).

Don't curl up.... don't. .... curl....

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
It ran in Denmark too but it's not on the list of international television.:confused:

KayTee posted:

Also, the team who made Watership Down made another animated film also based on a book by Richard Adams called Plague Dogs.
Yeah if you really wanted "Homeward Bound" to be depressing as gently caress that's your jam. And John Hurt sure liked doing voice work for animals getting maimed.

Venmoch posted:

Uuuurgh the pheasants, the snake, the one eyed fox, the hedgehogs, the badger, and every drat time a there's a rabbit on screen deahts are still so vivid.
have anyone seen a cartoon called "Noah's Island" about some zoo animals led by a polarbear on a floating island? I remember there being a little death and a lot of annoying catchphrases. Kind of seemed like it wanted to be "The Animals Of Farthing Wood"-light.

It's nice to see people respond to content. :kiddo:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sarcopenia posted:

It ran in Denmark too but it's not on the list of international television.:confused:

Yeah if you really wanted "Homeward Bound" to be depressing as gently caress that's your jam. And John Hurt sure liked doing voice work for animals getting maimed.

Uuuurgh the pheasants, the snake, the one eyed fox, the hedgehogs, the badger, and every drat time a there's a rabbit on screen deahts are still so vivid.
have anyone seen a cartoon called "Noah's Island" about some zoo animals led by a polarbear on a floating island? I remember there being a little death and a lot of annoying catchphrases. Kind of seemed like it wanted to be "The Animals Of Farthing Wood"-light.

It's nice to see people respond to content. :kiddo:

Holy poo poo, someone else remembers Noah's Island :stare:.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

How can anyone forget Sasha and her incredibly convoluted catchphrase "Oiski Boiski!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Kunster posted:

How can anyone forget Sasha and her incredibly convoluted catchphrase "Oiski Boiski!"

Pretty sure he was a dude.

edit: Oh, just got it. :thejoke: