Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Remulak posted:

I love reading old Ebert reviews of poo poo he doesn't get:

I liked Ebert a lot and thought he was a great writer but when he missed, he missed big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
There is already a Wolf Warriors clone movie out, Dante Lam's Operation Red Sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sOD1Qc0O4M

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

The second one begins with a bizarre terrible underwater fist fight.

Bizarre yes, terrible no, I thought it really unique, inventive and quite impressive. Can't have been easy to do all that underwater and there were very long takes made to look like one long take. Nice to see something different attempted anyway before the mostly routine though entertaining 80s action fest that the rest of the movie was.

I don't know how uniquely Chinese the patriotism is in the movie, like you could almost just swap the Chinese for Americans and change the flag and you'd have something pretty close to a jingoistic American military movie.

e: ^^ Wow that Red Sea movie is now the 2nd most successful Chinese film. They really are embracing their 80s rah-rah action film era over there

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 9, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

Bizarre yes, terrible no, I thought it really unique, inventive and quite impressive. Can't have been easy to do all that underwater and there were very long takes made to look like one long take. Nice to see something different attempted anyway before the mostly routine though entertaining 80s action fest that the rest of the movie was.

I don't know how uniquely Chinese the patriotism is in the movie, like you could almost just swap the Chinese for Americans and change the flag and you'd have something pretty close to a jingoistic American military movie.

I'd prefer it if they tried things that were different and good, rather than whatever the gently caress that was. It throws off the timing and makes every shot feel really soft.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone recommend the Mel Gibson/Robert Downey Jr. movie Air America?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone recommend the Mel Gibson/Robert Downey Jr. movie Air America?

It's not without its charms, but it's pretty light weight stuff for what it covers. I'd put it a step below Good Morning Vietnam, it's a bit more cartoony than that.

Does have some nice aerial photography though.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
For some stupid reason, I used to get that movie and Always mixed up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I learned today that the early 80s Stallone movie Nighthawk began life as The French Connection III and was going to team Gene Hackman up with a fast-talking, wise-cracking African-American partner played by Richard Pryor. Would have beaten 48 Hrs. to the punch as the first buddy cop movie by a full year, which I find entertaining.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Not sure what to think of Costner. He just comes off as a pretty generic guy

That more or less sums up Costner's career.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I liked Ebert a lot and thought he was a great writer but when he missed, he missed big.

His negative review of The Thing is an outstanding example of this too.

""The Thing" is basically, then, just a geek show, a gross-out movie in which teenagers can dare one another to watch the screen."

Woof.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The genius of The Thing is that Ebert is right.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I liked Ebert but you could pretty much dismiss anything he had to say about horror movies

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Wandle Cax posted:

e: ^^ Wow that Red Sea movie is now the 2nd most successful Chinese film. They really are embracing their 80s rah-rah action film era over there

I think some of the more patriotic scenes would feel off if they were put in an american movie. I am mainly thinking of when they realize they are actually under attack and take off their unit patches and put on the Chinese flag patches.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

I think some of the more patriotic scenes would feel off if they were put in an american movie. I am mainly thinking of when they realize they are actually under attack and take off their unit patches and put on the Chinese flag patches.

That would be out of place because you'd never have american soldiers not wearing US flags.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The genius of The Thing is that Ebert is right.

Not really. The gore is amazing but the film runs on creating a great paranoid atmosphere between those moments.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

sean10mm posted:

great paranoid atmosphere between those moments.

It's almost like I was implying this exact thing. That good movies don't have to be split into false dichotomies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's why the Thing works so well, because it has such a heavy atmosphere, and you have the great gory payoff to that atmosphere.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The gore isnt even necessary to The Thing, the paranoia is where the real terror comes from.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

got any sevens posted:

The gore isnt even necessary to The Thing, the paranoia is where the real terror comes from.

True, but it makes a really spectacular payoff.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

got any sevens posted:

The gore does kind of serve a narrative purpose in that it supports the paranoia angle by completely dehumanizing the antagonist. Once the paranoid fears of the protagonists are verified, The Thing completely and literally shreds its cover by blowing apart whatever form it was disguising itself in. It’s a great example of the fear of the capital-O Other being made manifest by having whatever auspice of humanity it had adopted be completely destroyed in revealing its true intentions.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think it's a bit inaccurate to call the effects in The Thing "gore", because what makes them so great is way more than just blood and guts. It's this bizarre inhuman entity but mixed in partially with recognizable human features and it's just disturbing and off-putting to see.

Those effects are some of the all-time greatest ever filmed too, so I don't think it's wrong or a criticism to say that they are a huge part of what makes the movie work.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The claustrophobia and paranoia wouldn't work as well without a dude's head sprouting crab legs and skittering around or the weird flower-dog monster.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I never did see that prequel from a few years ago.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Wheat Loaf posted:

You’re not missing anything (though I think SMG has a boner for it and will tell you otherwise). The most notable trivia about the production was that all of the wonderful practical effects were CGI’d over because the studio got weird about how the puppets looked on set (without proper lighting).

Just watch ADI’s effects reel and you’ll see all that is worth seeing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's not like we get a ton of competently made, big budget rated R science fiction though, which The Thing remake is. It doesn't really bring anything new and interesting to the table but it's still plenty entertaining if you don't constantly hold it up to the original.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I watched all of the original Police Stories recently with a buddy who hadn't seen them. There's a longer copy of 4 but I couldn't find it and I don't really know what's missing.

Is the latest Police Story from like 2012 good? I'm pretty sure the one from the mid-2000's is the one with the cop killing rich kids.

Also re:born was alright, don't think it touches Versus, though. Which I also have to rewatch

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It’s very good in point of fact

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would also like to watch the Police Story movies because I haven't seen them yet. I'm a bit confused, though, because I was looking them up a while ago: Police Story 3 seems to have the subtitle "Super Cop" with a picture of Michelle Yeoh on the dvd cover, but apparently there's also a spin-off which is also called "Super Cop" starring Michelle Yeoh. Are they the same movie?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Nope- PS3/Supercop has Michelle Yeoh and Jackie Chan and the Supercop spinoff has Michelle Yeoh and a Jackie Chan cameo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm. It looks like "Supercop" is on dvd but "Police Story 3: Supercop" has only ever been on video here in the UK. Pretty strange.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYipGi0qPXY

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hmm. It looks like "Supercop" is on dvd but "Police Story 3: Supercop" has only ever been on video here in the UK. Pretty strange.

:psyduck: I was going to link an amazon.co.uk link but apparently Police Story 3 has only ever come out on modern formats in the US. Despite that Hot Fuzz joke, y'all basically missed the boat entirely.

The US blu-ray by Echo Bridge is apparently region free and really easy to find, if that helps any. It's not a great release (it's cropped to HDTV aspect ratio and the sound mixing is a bit poo poo) but it's better than not having Supercop at all.

e: okay, now I'm curious what the hell is up with that Hot Fuzz scene; is that a R1 DVD of it that inexplicably has a UK price sticker on it? It looks a lot like the old R1 DVD, at any rate, complete with the goofy snapcase.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 19, 2018

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
The way I've always known them has been

Police Story
Police Story 2
Supercop
First Strike
New Police Story
Police Story Lockdown

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

:psyduck: I was going to link an amazon.co.uk link but apparently Police Story 3 has only ever come out on modern formats in the US. Despite that Hot Fuzz joke, y'all basically missed the boat entirely.

I think I know what Jackie Chan would say to us if he knew about this.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would also like to watch the Police Story movies because I haven't seen them yet. I'm a bit confused, though, because I was looking them up a while ago: Police Story 3 seems to have the subtitle "Super Cop" with a picture of Michelle Yeoh on the dvd cover, but apparently there's also a spin-off which is also called "Super Cop" starring Michelle Yeoh. Are they the same movie?

Police Story 1 is probably Jackie's best overall film. The same way Beverly Hills Cop is actually a good cop movie with jokes, Police Story is actually a well above average cop movie, even outside of its brief (10 minute mall finale not included) but absolutely superb fight scenes
Police Story 2 follows on thematically, emphasising the personal cost of Jackie's job. It also has one of Jackie's best ever fight scenes, though they kind of forgot to film much of a final fight.
Police Story 3 has a Rambo/Predator tribute that is loving amazing. It's dopey as poo poo, but full of really good stunts and fights.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Police Story 1 is probably Jackie's best overall film. The same way Beverly Hills Cop is actually a good cop movie with jokes, Police Story is actually a well above average cop movie, even outside of its brief (10 minute mall finale not included) but absolutely superb fight scenes

It's a well above average cop movie crossed with a slapstick/screwball comedy, (though I think the US version cut out a lot of that stuff including the girlfriend scenes and stuff like Jackie answering all the phones at once?) which is a pretty strange tonal mix. I guess it's all part of the Jackie Chan charm though. Crazy action, serious cop drama, pie in the face type stuff all in one place.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Most of Jackie Chan's HK films have that mix of slapstick with seriousness. A lot of his insane stunts are played for self-conscious laughs. I've always felt that 'Project A' perfectly captures this mix.

The latest police story (2013? Lockdown.) I found quite boring and with a lot of redundant dialogue.

A good drinking game to play while watching Lockdown is every time you get a closeup shot of a gun.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Most of Jackie Chan's HK films have that mix of slapstick with seriousness. A lot of his insane stunts are played for self-conscious laughs. I've always felt that 'Project A' perfectly captures this mix.

For sure, that and Operation Condor seem to blend the comedic stunts with the action without too many superfluous, purely broad comedy scenes

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The latest police story (2013? Lockdown.) I found quite boring and with a lot of redundant dialogue.

A good drinking game to play while watching Lockdown is every time you get a closeup shot of a gun.

Tons of his stuff is this genre that only seems to exist in Hong Kong, where it's 90% drama/comedy/romance whatever, then there's a massive, elaborate fight scene at the end featuring a bunch of characters who basically aren't in the rest of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which American movies have tried the same balance of action, comedy, drama and romance and gotten it right? As far as big movies go, I feel like Indiana Jones and Lethal Weapon come closest (though obviously they're a lot less elaborate than a Jackie Chan movie would be) but I may be completely off the mark there.