Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ha this is interesting

Livestreaming Country Life Is Turning Some Chinese Farmers Into Celebrities

There are several articles about this guy Liu JinYin but none of them have any info on where I can watch him

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHUL3i4O5kU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anime watch Somebody Feed Phil on Netflix? It's pretty funny! It's a food travel show but it doesn't take itself too seriously

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Oh, the link was right but lowtax's youtube [/] tagging magic breaks it. Updated it to remove the tags. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoC47do520os_4DBMEFGg4A

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Anime watch Somebody Feed Phil on Netflix? It's pretty funny! It's a food travel show but it doesn't take itself too seriously
Yes, I totally dig it. He had a PBS series a few years ago, I'll Have What Phil's Having, that led to this, and that one's also good and also on Netflix. It's so nice to see an in-depth food travel show that's like sweet and goofy instead of desperately trying to be macho and profound.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQXQ4FtNJSY

Here's a Japanese Guy Cooks Dozens of Meals At A Time Channel

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ohhhhhhh poo poo dawhgg
http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201802/10/WS5a7dc8e5a3106e7dcc13be34.html
bite of china 3 feb 19

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN_XItALHmM

David Chang has a new food travel series called Ugly Delicious. I'm halfway through so far and it's very good.

What's new for a David Chang show is that there's much more of a focus on sociopolitical aspects of food. Arguably, it is a show about people and cultures masquerading as a show about food, and it gets into pointed, uncomfortable moments disagreeing on issues

What's new for David Chang is very obviously trying not to explode on people

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 25, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Chef's Table Season 4 is out on Netflix now, it's all pastry and it starts with Christina Tosi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9J7BBLpncI

https://www.netflix.com/watch/80198...4c16e1a0a%2C%2C

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I love Chef's Table but gently caress me if I couldn't care less about pastry.

Ugly Delicious was fantastic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I love Tosi and she’s a great person and she makes great food but I have to admit her episode was pretty boring.

“I had a great childhood and then I worked for Wylie Dufresne and it was great and then I worked for Dave Chang and it was great”

TBF, it’s kinda hard to beat Grant Achatz getting tongue cancer or a Korean vegan Buddhist monk

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chef's Table is the worst food show ever. I rather watch Mark Summers chow down on garbage State Fair food.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

Chef's Table is the worst food show ever. I rather watch Mark Summers chow down on garbage State Fair food.

I really liked these episodes:

Enrique Olvera (Pujol in Mexico City, Mexico)
Nancy Silverton (Mozza in Los Angeles, United States)

I couldn't finish any others.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Even when it's about someone or something I'm interested in, I find it insufferably boring. None of the episodes I've seen have anything resembling a point of view.

Ugly Delicious loving owned though and I want more of it right now.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

The Francis Mallmann episode was great background while cooking, since 90% of the episode was “campfire+meat+Patagonian landscape.”

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

I really liked these episodes:

Enrique Olvera (Pujol in Mexico City, Mexico)
Nancy Silverton (Mozza in Los Angeles, United States)

I couldn't finish any others.

Nancy Silverton is the only one I couldn't watch at all. Her food is so goddamn boring.

All the others were at least partially watchable.

Edit: actually I don't think I finished the Mallmann episode either. His food was not interesting at all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnZ_70XyVAk

Three Italian chefs tell youtube chefs they suck at making carbonara

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeah garlic in carbonara can gently caress right off.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Casu Marzu posted:

Edit: actually I don't think I finished the Mallmann episode either. His food was not interesting at all.

I know I watched it. It moved very quickly to being background. Yes, fire plus meat equals good. So, tell us more! But the program seemed to be more about him having lots of Patagonian sex and not really caring about the subsequent children. I was interested, cause I kept seeing his book exulted, interest disappeared and the scenery was pretty wall paper.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Cavenagh posted:

I know I watched it. It moved very quickly to being background. Yes, fire plus meat equals good. So, tell us more! But the program seemed to be more about him having lots of Patagonian sex and not really caring about the subsequent children. I was interested, cause I kept seeing his book exulted, interest disappeared and the scenery was pretty wall paper.

My main memory of it is watching it with my ex and some talking head prattling on about how much Mallmann loves the Maillard reaction over footage of him throwing bread directly in a fire or something and my ex saying "... that's not a Maillard reaction. He just loving burns things."

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Steve Yun posted:

The follow-up video where said three Italian chefs actually make carbonara was pretty interesting. They prefaced by saying that Carbonara is the ingredients (eggs, pasta, parmesan and romano, guanciale, pepper) and not the recipe itself, and each presented their own preparation takes:

The old guy makes an entree-sized classic carbonara with an interesting restaurant-consistency preparation twist (taking the cooked guanciale, cooling it with some mineral water, adding the eggs, and then heating it back up with the hot pasta added, cheesing at the end), the hipstery-looking guy does a side-dish portion with a different pre-prep mixture (egg yolks, pepper, and cheeses beaten into a paste and tempered in a bain-marie, guanciale fried and then drained, pasta cooked, tossed into the egg mixture with a small amount of the drained fat and some pasta water, warmed up as it's combined, then the meaty bits added back in), and the shaven-headed guy going full Modernist on us and taking a rigatoni, filling it with an egg cream, topped with a single cube of fried guanciale, set in an emptied-out eggshell, topped with a parmesan-romano foam (essence of carbonara in miniature appetizer form)

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I was surprised when they didn't like that babish was using fresh pasta for the dish, that's something that wasn't in my classical Italian cookbook.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Stangg posted:

I was surprised when they didn't like that babish was using fresh pasta for the dish, that's something that wasn't in my classical Italian cookbook.
they're actually disagreeing with the use of egg pasta in a dish that's sauced with egg

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Elizabethan Error posted:

they're actually disagreeing with the use of egg pasta in a dish that's sauced with egg

Yeah sorry that's what I meant, I didn't know you could make fresh pasta without egg. Of course now that I think about it, why wouldnt you be able to, you just make it and then cook it instead of drying it out.

Stangg fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 11, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Italians are sticklers about food definitions, man. I got an old hunchbacked Italian grandpa who sells imported stuff in a little shop in Pasadena. When I asked for guanciale, he asked me what I was going to use it for, and when I said pizza he shook his finger at me and refused to sell it to me. "Pasta only!"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Italian people are basically insufferable. Doesn't matter if something tastes good. They'll call it poo poo if it's not the way their grandma made it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Italian people are basically insufferable. Doesn't matter if something tastes good. They'll call it poo poo if it's not the way their grandma made it.

And Jews ARE stingy, right guys?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I specifically meant Italian people in the online comments section. In-person they are good people.

I'd love to see those chefs watch a Filipino version of pasta carbonara. They'll flip their poo poo.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The thing I thought was most interesting is they were all totally fine with using bacon or pancetta instead of guanciale. gently caress garlic or parsley, but eh, if you can't find pig face we forgive you.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Tendales posted:

The thing I thought was most interesting is they were all totally fine with using bacon or pancetta instead of guanciale. gently caress garlic or parsley, but eh, if you can't find pig face we forgive you.

In pork we find peace and harmony. Pork knows no nation, no borders. Pork is love.

My favorite meat to be sure. I am glad I don't keep kosher/halal because those blokes are missing out.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 14, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anthony Bourdain killed himself, apparently.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well poo poo

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That loving blows.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Man gently caress this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This day, it is poo poo and garbage and can eat my rear end.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Terrible, terrible.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

PT6A posted:

:same:

Between finding out that Lidia Bastianich is a goddamn monster and now Anthony Bourdain is gone this is a lovely week for food TV for me.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 8, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PT6A posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Croatoan posted:

:same:

Between finding out that Lidia Bastianich is a goddamn monster...

Woah; what? A quick google search comes up with nothing.