Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
[mod edited] you all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

[mod edited] you all

We will never know what message he was trying to convey

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
To be fair, it is basically cruel to let xbone and the PCMR into the same sandbox.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

ZeusCannon posted:

Thanks I had no clue about this. It actually makes the games pass ( and other services like it ) seem far more useful for just trying things out.

I agree! The passes I've come across are a drop in the bucket too, which makes them all the more sweeter. It's almost free video games at that point.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How much crying could be avoided if solo players just took the chests they had off their ship and hid them on the island they're working on until they're done there? I usually only do 2-3 maps before making an outpost stop depending on the number of chests, but most bigger islands have plenty of hiding spots right near the shore where you can stack all your loot and no one will be able to find it unless they already know where it is. Obviously you don't want to do this with any animals that make noise, and I don't know if there's any pc settings tomfoolery that can make vegetation easier to see through, but I haven't lost a single chest since I started doing this. Even if somebody comes and sinks your sloop while you're away you just have to sail back to the island and remember where you hid the stuff.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

bango skank posted:

How much crying could be avoided if solo players just took the chests they had off their ship and hid them on the island they're working on until they're done there? I usually only do 2-3 maps before making an outpost stop depending on the number of chests, but most bigger islands have plenty of hiding spots right near the shore where you can stack all your loot and no one will be able to find it unless they already know where it is. Obviously you don't want to do this with any animals that make noise, and I don't know if there's any pc settings tomfoolery that can make vegetation easier to see through, but I haven't lost a single chest since I started doing this. Even if somebody comes and sinks your sloop while you're away you just have to sail back to the island and remember where you hid the stuff.

Too much work for the whiny assholes. These are the same people who bitch on MMOs because they can't solo raid content.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

The Protagonist posted:

To be fair, it is basically cruel to let xbone and the PCMR into the same sandbox.

Yeah, that last quote has a point, there isn't anything the xbox crowd can do to PC players if they are using controllers, I can bunnyhop around their ship for days while eating their bananas without worry of them tracking me well.

It's sorta cruel of them in this PvP focused game to have PC and xbox players not separated.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 16, 2018

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

bango skank posted:

As far as I'm aware quite a few solo players do actually do this. At least one on Reddit said at least for the island they are at they unload their stuff and hide it while they aren't on their ship, meaning if you sink it while they are gone there's no loot.

To be fair to them we have never bothered checking the island after sinking a ship parked at an island, so it probably works well.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah, that last quote has a point, there isn't anything the xbox crowd can do to PC players if they are using controllers, I can bunnyhop around their ship for days while eating their bananas without worry of them tracking me well.

It's sorta cruel of them in this PvP focused game to have PC and xbox players not separated.

Wouldn't be such a big problem for them if they didn't all insist on using the blunderbuss and cutlass instead of the superior pistol and cutlass.

Since I started using the pistol the amount of times I've been able to simply walk backwards and shoot, and then bunny hop around a blunderbuss shot and do the same again is ridiculous.

Pistol and blunderbuss is better than blunderbuss and cutlass, but again far easier to bunny hop around a blunderbuss than it is a cutlass. The cutlass actually hits you and stun locks you even if you've jumped, the blunderbuss just skims you and does minimal damage.

If you try to use the cutlass against someone with a blunderbuss dead on it obviously won't go well, but the point is to try and get them to shoot at a time where they won't do much damage because you're too far away or jumping around, and then lay into them.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Isn't there something of a problem with the stash strat in that there's still no reason not to sink the boat and then you have to respawn and go back to the island to collect. At that point I'd rather just start some new maps, but then again, I'd rather do none of that dumb poo poo and just be the guy sinking the ship.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

ILL Machina posted:

Isn't there something of a problem with the stash strat in that there's still no reason not to sink the boat and then you have to respawn and go back to the island to collect. At that point I'd rather just start some new maps, but then again, I'd rather do none of that dumb poo poo and just be the guy sinking the ship.

For sure, and with the new respawn system it may respawn you on the other side of the map. It took me about 3-5 minutes of straight sailing to sail across the map in a galleon, which when it has full wind is significantly faster than a sloop, so potentially you waste time sailing back. On top of that of course you may run into the galleon again when you head there.

I guess if you got a really good haul of high value items then *maybe* it's worth it. Can't see how it would be a better use of time then simply returning to an outpost to sell poo poo now and again.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Sea Of Thieves Whiner posted:

You may call my words "spam" .... but this is what happened ... i explained what happened... and the endless come back of sunken ships is the real ingame issue ..and it is similar to spam... My post about it isn't a issue . So if you feel offended because of the facts then i didn't see a upcoming change to solve the problem . And the problem is not that i'am a bad PVPler or a bad or weak Player. And i know .... my post is disturbin , shocking and sad....but it is true . And if you read the same sentence over and over again endless times then maybe you can understand how boring , senseless and dumb it will be into the gameplay situation that the same sunken ship comes back thousand times. Why shouldn't i write here thousand times the words "they sunk and came back" to demonstrate what this pvp gameplay system really is ? The irony is that no one must care about what i write here ...no one must read it.... if you think that i'am a troll or a spammer then read it or not thats your choice... but every player is forced to care ingame about a enemy player ship aslong it will attack and if the attacks will be hours long because no one gives up than this all could be more bullying instead of pvp. And it feels like bullying if i be forced to leave the Server because another player nerves me . The question is : Should SOT be a game for bullys , griefer , trolls , hacker , cheater and spawncamper ?

For context the tread they called spam and locked he copied and pasted "We made them sunk... And they came back" like a hundred times.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 16, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Almondbeard is the scourge of the seas and has collected more treasure then any other pirate.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Okay game redeemed, this is some premium salt

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Kitchner posted:

For context the tread they called spam and locked he copied and pasted "We made them sunk... And they came back" like a hundred times.
Ahahaa at least he has a point

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
We made them sunk... And they came back

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Our crew got accused over voice chat of aimbotting and otherwise cheating by some sloop that didn’t have their lives together. They were *shocked* that our galleon got the drop on them in Shipwreck Bay and we pvped our way to victory, taking their treasure and quest skulls before sinking their ship.

Did they think a well-crewed galleon couldn’t enter the rocky area? Did they know that it’s possible to successfully hit other crews with guns and cannonballs? All signs point to no.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If pubbies didn’t want to get sunk at skull first maybe they shouldn’t be greedy shits who want the vault loot all to themselves? I give a ship coming to a skull fort one chance to be cooperative because a bunch of bodies working together really helps burn down the skellington waves, as the few pubbies who have agreed to help have proven. But the vast majority of pubbies, sloops and galleons alike, coming flying in cannons blazing so I sink their rear end and will sink them again at the first site of them. Notice how those whining on the Reddit aren’t complaining no one wants to help them; they’re whining because they can’t get all the loot themselves uncontested without other players being able to do anything about it

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
The FPS combat is slow and imprecise so I don't see a huge advantage for the PC crowd. Maybe just a little one. For the ship combat I'd rather have a joystick for cannon aiming, personally.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If pubbies didn’t want to get sunk at skull first maybe they shouldn’t be greedy shits who want the vault loot all to themselves? I give a ship coming to a skull fort one chance to be cooperative because a bunch of bodies working together really helps burn down the skellington waves, as the few pubbies who have agreed to help have proven. But the vast majority of pubbies, sloops and galleons alike, coming flying in cannons blazing so I sink their rear end and will sink them again at the first site of them. Notice how those whining on the Reddit aren’t complaining no one wants to help them; they’re whining because they can’t get all the loot themselves uncontested without other players being able to do anything about it
You come out ahead by cooperating, but each crew is suspecting the other crew will shoot them in the back right at the turn-in and take all the treasure. A classic prisoner's dilemma.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I feel like the rate of random fort cooperation has gone down since launch once it got so that people had a more reliable payout from spending a few hours on mid to high ranked voyages then scrumming it out at Keel Haul or wherever. Most people sailing for the skull I meet now are looking to brawl.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I don’t think Microsoft will have any problem keeping one of their developers just barely afloat so as to keep their IPs in business for future cashgra- *ahem* console generations.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 16, 2018

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Caidin posted:

I feel like the rate of random fort cooperation has gone down since launch once it got so that people had a more reliable payout from spending a few hours on mid to high ranked voyages then scrumming it out at Keel Haul or wherever. Most people sailing for the skull I meet now are looking to brawl.

Plus every goon crew I've been on has brutally betrayed the guys helping us at the last minute.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Zaphod42 posted:

Destiny is a huge flop but it seems weird to pin them as the villains of updates...

Small updates are the norm. For MOST of videogaming only MMOs have seen lots of content in updates. Its only recently that started to be a thing in normal games.

Destiny 2 "is a huge flop" because the SA nerds enjoy hating it. In the real world of reality though, it has likely done close to $1b in revenue. ..

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr. WTF posted:

Destiny 2 "is a huge flop" because the SA nerds enjoy hating it. In the real world of reality though, it has likely done close to $1b in revenue. ..

Destiny is a gigantic property and they want it to be an ongoing one with dlc and updates and sequels. Yes, D2 sold well, based off D1 and Bungie's name, and D1 sold well because of Bungie's name.

But Bungie's name is now meaningless, and they can't even attempt to make a D3. They're going to be in an uphill battle for the rest of their life. This may be the beginning of the end for Bungie as a company if they can't do something dramatic.

So yeah, technically "Destiny 2" is a financial success. But there's no way anybody at Bungie is happy with its performance right now. They're putting out fires and in 24/7 damage control mode right now. Player numbers are guaranteed to be extremely anemic at this point. They haven't even released the 2nd DLC yet and already nobody wants anything to do with it or whatever comes after.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Bungie is the only company ive ever seen have the audacity to remove the ability to play the base game if you didnt buy the dlc and that was definetly not advertised as thing when it launched. That company deserves to go down and it cant happen soon enough.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Plus every goon crew I've been on has brutally betrayed the guys helping us at the last minute.

we used to try and do this and now we just sink everyone. It's not even worth it, having to babysit some idiots running around so they don't try to gently caress with us, while not being able to cannon skeletons on the island due to fear of hitting them slows us down more than "only" having 4 dudes ever would.

plus, Balls and Nanners crew has pretty much supreme domination in any given server, people are constantly throwing themselves on us and dying with minimal effort on our part lol. I need to make an "Average Sea of Thieves Galleon Fight" compilation and it'll be mostly stuff like the guys who attacked us last night with drive by cannon fire, swerved and zigged and zagged off into the distance while we were unloading at Galleon's Grave, and then scuttled

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Also Destiny 2 is a games as service product that needs an active player base to keep making money and the player count of Destiny 2, thanks to Bungie dropping the ball plus making GBS threads out their own version of loot boxes into it, has been collapsing pretty significantly to the point big video game sites like Polygon are wondering if the game is pretty much dead

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Babe Magnet posted:

we used to try and do this and now we just sink everyone. It's not even worth it, having to babysit some idiots running around so they don't try to gently caress with us, while not being able to cannon skeletons on the island due to fear of hitting them slows us down more than "only" having 4 dudes ever would.

plus, Balls and Nanners crew has pretty much supreme domination in any given server, people are constantly throwing themselves on us and dying with minimal effort on our part lol. I need to make an "Average Sea of Thieves Galleon Fight" compilation and it'll be mostly stuff like the guys who attacked us last night with drive by cannon fire, swerved and zigged and zagged off into the distance while we were unloading at Galleon's Grave, and then scuttled

To be fair when the ships used to respawn close it was worth the betrayal strategy just to stop them from attacking you. With the new system I'm not as fussed which is a shame as the goon betrayal was great fun.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There is also the fact that two people just slashing skeletons at a chokepoint can clear a wave in 10 seconds compared to 5 minutes of idiots running around and respawning when they eventually get shot in the open.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Also Destiny 2 is a games as service product that needs an active player base to keep making money and the player count of Destiny 2, thanks to Bungie dropping the ball plus making GBS threads out their own version of loot boxes into it, has been collapsing pretty significantly to the point big video game sites like Polygon are wondering if the game is pretty much dead

Praise Satan.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Exactly.

Bungie is definitely not considering D2 a success right now.

Hell, D1 was actually popular and they didn't even consider THAT a success because it wasn't as mainstream and never hit Halo 3 numbers. Hence them making D2 more approachable to casuals and ruining it for the few people who gave a poo poo.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Amen men brother!

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Zaphod42 posted:

yes, the game with close to 1bn in revenue is not successful, your anecdotal evidence definitely shows that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

no_funeral posted:

yes, the game with close to 1bn in revenue is not successful, your anecdotal evidence definitely shows that

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2018/04/16/i-want-to-be-excited-about-destiny-2s-warmind-dlc-but-im-struggling/#5bf11539467b

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/03/08/this-destiny-despair-cycle-feels-different-than-all-the-others/#2f6152fe628f

https://kotaku.com/destiny-2-six-months-later-1823552550

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/6/17206654/destiny-2-future-expansion-roadmap-backlash-gear

but k

Also what I said was

Zaphod42 posted:

technically "Destiny 2" is a financial success. But there's no way anybody at Bungie is happy with its performance right now.

but thanks for being a dick :thumbsup:

E: This is also completely off topic. I wasn't even the person who brought up Destiny 2 lmao y'all are super defensive about Destiny for some reason

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 17, 2018

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I agree that all these games are bad, but now I'm having a hard time remembering which game was good.

Probably none of 'em.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

congrats Baba you loving psychopath

e:

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 17, 2018

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Babe Magnet posted:

congrats Baba you loving psychopath

e:

Ahahaha I know these guys in real life lmao

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
tell me details I cant wait to give them poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Zaphod42 posted:

Exactly.

Hell, D1 was actually popular and they didn't even consider THAT a success because it wasn't as mainstream and never hit Halo 3 numbers. Hence them making D2 more approachable to casuals and ruining it for the few people who gave a poo poo.

Ok, I've got to disagree. Could D2 have been better and do they wish the player base was more loyal and they had actually monetized the ongoing game? Absolutely.

Saying two released games in a franchise that did ~$2 Billion in sales are "not a success" is just not how math works. You both are out of your mind if you think a corporation won't pursue a third iteration of a franchise that's done that much revenue. They will just try and correct the mistakes. I do think it's funny though how D2's development path seems like it is basically migrating it back to D1.. Anyway, I dig the game, I think both have been awesome. I was never looking for Destiny to solve every gaming desire in my life for a decade. I'm not defending it frankly, but when 99% of the thread is 'comedy' poo poo posting about how much the game sucks, it's annoying, but when it departs completely from commercial reality I HAD TO STEP IN AND BECOME THE HERO THAT FACTS DEMANDED.

Mr. WTF fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 17, 2018