Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I remember those. Noah’s Island was definitely a lot weirder, with its defrosted mammoths and volcano engines, compared to Farthing Wood’s being relatively grounded in reality. That took a lot of the charm away from it, although I guess I still liked it as a kid because it was so unusual to have a cartoon with an ongoing plot, rather than just a series of self-contained episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm glad we could keep the Larry stuff Civil while I was asleep, Apperently he went on ResetEra to clarify the position as well so we can just laugh at his trolling CA. :v:

my parents boyfriend posted:

I've never posted myself in the thread because, well, I'm not incredible and I'm also not a critic but I do make a Something Awful history video every once in a while and I'd like to start doing it more often. I've covered Kevin Havens, David Hockey, and here's my latest video on Sonic in the Search for Love.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpvoon27lAU&t=1s
This is cool tbh, I love SA History, it's such a bizarre development this site has gone through the years.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
If people are interested in watching some depressing/gruesome animated movies for kids I have a couple of danish ones.

War of the Birds. The title says it all. Swearing, horrific death and a Woody The Woodpecker flipping off two small birds. In parts with subtitles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAXDiUzPqAA
Samson and Sally. Two young whales go on a search for Moby Dick to get some advice about how to defeat the humans who hunt them and pollute their home.
A jolly song from the movie that ends quite disturbingly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REN67hs8wnA
And someone wrote a Candle Cove esque creepypasta about it that's fairly accurate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRdbnx9md_8
The Monkeys and the Secret Weapon/Aberne og det hemmelige våben
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112274/
Basically Romeo and Juliette but with monkeys. And uh a girl child monkey who really want's to gently caress a child boy monkey.
Subway to Paradise/Dreaming of Paradise/Strit og Stumme.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124147/?ref_=ttrel_rel_tt
The surface of the earth is no longer inhabitable due to pollution so humans live undergound. Two children, one a mute boy and one a feisty girl journey towards the surface while getting followed and attacked by giant humanoid rats.
The first two have an E rating and the other two (I remember them being far less graphic but they also have humanoid characters and guns in them so maybe that's why) have a rating of 7+.All 4 are based on books by the author Bent Haller and directed by Jannik Hastrup.

The Danish Film Institute has completely wiped out all of the full versions on youtube so the last two might be hard to find.

Edit: Oh and this super cute but kind of sad short film.
https://youtu.be/zhfDc60s9xs

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 16, 2018

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Allegro Non Troppo, namely the Valse Triste segment. Then again I wept at Diana's Piano from Garfield: His 9 lives so take that with a grain of salt.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Moviebob has a new video out about The Simpsons and how they responded to The Problem With Apu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGMnnrw70lA

It's a pretty decent overview of the mess as it stands and the fairly nuanced causes behind it. Hopefully the next two parts are as good.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mr.Radar posted:

Moviebob has a new video out about The Simpsons and how they responded to The Problem With Apu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGMnnrw70lA

It's a pretty decent overview of the mess as it stands and the fairly nuanced causes behind it. Hopefully the next two parts are as good.

His last few totally not The Big Picture episodes have been pretty good imo (I didn't watch the one about RPO because who the gently caress cares) and it's a shame his politics are asinine and he broadcasts them very loudly all over Twitter.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Mr Phillby posted:

Hey man no need to be jealous just because you Americans were so poo poo at games that a single bad film tie in tanked your entire industry while we had a thriving home computer/demo scene.

Only a deranged lunatic would be jealous of Dizzy the Egg when we had Super Mario Bros within a couple years of the crash.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

DoctorWhat posted:

Only a deranged lunatic would be jealous of Dizzy the Egg when we had Super Mario Bros within a couple years of the crash.

Great Giana Sisters :colbert:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

You "had" it no more than we did, Mario and most of the platformers of the time you love are Japanese and the majority of American efforts were frankly just as shite as any of ours :)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Famiclones, baaaaby!!!!!!1

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

DoubleCakes posted:

I've only just began binging his stuff but is Nick usually this sassy? He's such a jokester in this video, although his charms work on me.

I think he's trying to compartmentalize the stuff he covers, some with more levity than others. The Cabin Fever Dreams series is mostly the "it can be weird or funny, but there's not much analysis to be done here" so it's probably better he treats it lightly than trying to frame-by-frame a lolrandom video series.

I kinda feel bad for some creators in niche stuff like NM: by the time you've got the following you've often mined the best of the material out there. Or worse in his case you have the creative Ouroboros of many new attempts at an ARG will be by his own followers which probably makes them more likely to be derivative and not worth talking about. Kinda feel like the guy might need to do some delving into classic horror or historic legends more to keep up his pace.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
am i allowed to like movie bob? his name is dumb

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tired Moritz posted:

file under "problematic fave" and be prepared to mock twitter threads imo

A lot of his old work at The Escapist still holds up, The Big Picture in particular.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Reminder: Bob likes Other M and considers it better than the Prime games because it's not a jock FPS.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kay Kessler posted:

Reminder: Bob likes Other M and considers it better than the Prime games because it's not a jock FPS.

This is actually his worst opinion imo, and I say this as someone who lives in one of the states he thinks is disposable and everyone here should die.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
florida?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Wisconsin, even worse.

At least it doesn't snow in Florida.

Jokes on them tho, we're not gonna be underwater in 20 years!

(jokes on Wisconsin, I'm moving to California)

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Me and Rifftrax are doing a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfoWtSIk_Ow

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

SA's own K.Waste does incredibly dope and good film criticism and gets like, sub 300 views, so y'all should peep his newest and watch all the old episodes; basically the high water mark for what Youtube film criticism should be imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TTjDk37W6c

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

no, sub-300 views is about appropriate for what k. waste puts out

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Phelous re-edited his Pulse 2006 review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zsi5104WGs

Care to guess why? :(

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

He is bad, also has idiot opinions and extremely bad takes.

Best part? His old bad takes have all aged just fine.

moviebob posted:

The cigar-chomping boogeyman of the old time Studio Mogul is long extinct, with even notorious figures like Harvey Weinstein looking like pussycats compared to their “Golden Age” predecessors.

From 2015 wank piece on the MCU killing auteur theory.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Apparently Guru Larry outlasted Doug Walker? Found out a minute ago.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

At this rate Guru Larry is going to outlast Mike Michaud. He is going to 200% complete this thing!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Doug's facebook page has him as "worked" at Channel Awesome now.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 16, 2018

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Kay Kessler posted:

I think whats worse is that he said people who hate Other M are the real xenophobes and don't understand Japanese culture.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm not sure if looking up and posting a pic of someone's personal FB is ethically kosher.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I honestly haven't watched or touched any of Justin's stuff in years, but somehow it still drags me back in some way.

In all of this, please remember that depression is still a problem for a lot of people. People who are a lot more upright can suffer as well, and recognizing it is still important.

Finally, gently caress theycallmedsp.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I'm not sure if looking up and posting a pic of someone's personal FB is ethically kosher.

I mean, he's not doxxing somebody who purely goes by a username or is trying to hide their general identity, and the screenshot is limited to what was directly pertinent or information that would be readily publicly available if you wanted to find it.

I wouldn't suggest posting anymore of it tho.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If this is true, then...well, may as well just shut the whole thing up. Nothing CA is going to be able to go on without Doug. Should just sell it to Larry for a dollar.

somekindofguy posted:

Finally, gently caress theycallmedsp.

Lol, has Phil done/said anything new or is this just general?

EDIT: I notice that he says he was offered a spot at CA but didn't get it because he got banned from blip (for making jokes about beating up Jews while playing Dead Space for some unknown/baffling/unfunny reason, which obviously he doesn't mention). I don't think he's actually bullshitting if I remember my DSP lore correctly, but still gently caress DSP always

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 16, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'll drop the screenshot to be safe. Last thing I want is to encourage harassing Doug no matter what part he played in this.

I wasn't the one who took the screenshot either, but the page is public.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

doug doesn't own the nostalgia critic name, right? would he have to like, rebrand himself? get a new face??

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

doug doesn't own the nostalgia critic name, right? would he have to like, rebrand himself? get a new face??

It's gonna be like Mistico leaving CMLL then coming back, by 2020 we'll have Nostalgia Critic as portrayed by Irate Gamer for CA versus Dougstalgia Walker or some other bizarre copyright avoidance name.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AriadneThread posted:

Apparently the trademark is owned by 4 people (Mike and Greg Michaud, Rob and Doug Walker) so Michaud can't do anything solo with it either. A fifth owner was supposed to be brought on this week, likely Doug's father who has been more hands on with Doug's work since his wife passed away a few years back.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

Yep. From what I understand if Doug left, the Nostalgia Critic is dead. Theoretically CA could recast him but lol.

Doug could call himself the Nostalgic Critic but that would probably infringe on the original copyright.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Apparently the trademark is owned by 4 people (Mike and Greg Michaud, Rob and Doug Walker) so Michaud can't do anything solo with it either. A fifth owner was supposed to be brought on this week, likely Doug's father who has been more hands on with Doug's work since his wife passed away a few years back.

Do they all count as a board for all intents and purposes? Like could Doug and Rob and their dad vote to sell the rights back to Doug?

Sounds like a mess.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Koalas March posted:

Yep. From what I understand if Doug left, the Nostalgia Critic is dead. Theoretically CA could recast him but lol.

Doug could call himself the Nostalgic Critic but that would probably infringe on the original copyright.

“Hel-loooo, I’m the New-stalgia Critic...”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate the NC and would be fine if I never see th shrill gun waving bald man again

But he could just call him self The Critic. Everyone calls him that away. Same character, different name.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

AriadneThread posted:

I doubt any amount of rebranding would change the quality of his videos.

Let me give a shout out to a YouTube channel called Mr. Puzzle. He unboxes and goes over a bunch of mechanical puzzles and explains how you might solve them. He recently did a video on an expensive puzzle called...ISIS.

This was named before the Islamic State really became a thing, so excuse the name. What really sticks out is that's it's not a good puzzle, and has a lot of extra content you have to pay for around it. This article goes into more detail than Mr. Puzzle covers.

I know there is something about spoiling a puzzle in a video, but quite a few of the puzzles he showcases are small batch and handmade, making them kind of pricey. Giving people a taste of what to expect might get them interested in physical puzzles and all the fun stuff designers do with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

But he could just call him self The Critic. Everyone calls him that away. Same character, different name.

Nostalgia hasn't had that much to do with the character since the return anyways.