Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

fizzymercy posted:

See also: AWOLnation. And I don't blame any band for selling out. Being a rock star seems extremely worth having your music played over footage of a mid-range vehicle doing sweet donuts in a desert.

It was funny seeing Smash Mouth go from sorta-edgy punk-ska band to movie soundtrack and commercial pop sellouts. They even sold their song about weed to Chevy for car commercials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

All of that and they couldn't sell out for eggs

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thin Privilege posted:

Stereotype that men in heterosexual couples hate weddings and planning and it’s all that women are crazy about their weddings.

Ads that try to reinforce stereotypes are poo poo (see any cleaning ad where the guy is totally clueless about how to; for example, use a Swiffer on the floor and the woman does it with a smug look on her face).

I always see this in car commercials, too. Ford had the lovely "Fight Song" commercial of the woman having it all and doing it all and all she gets to drive is some low to mid-range econobox. gently caress that, put her in a god drat Mustang. Even the high end luxury sports car commercials always show the dude in an awesome car while the gal drives some boring piece of poo poo made to ferry kids around.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Mahoning posted:

Let me preface this by admitting that I actually don’t mind Imagine Dragons’ music. I even like some of it. But if you’re familiar with their music you quickly realize they are the biggest corporate sellouts on the planet. Their music is EVERYWHERE and in EVERY COMMERCIAL EVER. Or more often, it’s used as a bumper going into and out of commercial breaks during sporting events. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Make me a make me a believer, beeeeeeeeliever.

You're absolutely right. They're in every god drat phone and car ad.

Also that wedding registry thing is super annoying.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

ElwoodCuse posted:

It was funny seeing Smash Mouth go from sorta-edgy punk-ska band to movie soundtrack and commercial pop sellouts. They even sold their song about weed to Chevy for car commercials.

What broke my and many old die hard fans’ hearts was when Billy Corgan sold Today to some credit card commercial. He had aaaaalways said he would never sell any of his songs. Lyrics are “today is the greatest day I’ve ever known.”

The song is about suicide.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Thin Privilege posted:

Stereotype that men in heterosexual couples hate weddings and planning and it’s all that women are crazy about their weddings.

Ads that try to reinforce stereotypes are poo poo (see any cleaning ad where the guy is totally clueless about how to; for example, use a Swiffer on the floor and the woman does it with a smug look on her face).

There's a Merrill lynch commercial where they find a stereotypical gay couple and show them they hadn't saved enough for retirement. "How is this happening?!" One of them screeches in most :gay: way possible.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Not really a awful ad, but that was not the best pairing of ads. The first ad was some psa showing a funeral while showing a cop finding a phone on the roadside near a crash, with a warning that texting while driving might be your last message. And then the next ad is for Mountain Dew showing a driver talking on the phone with Siri while driving.

In actual bad ad news, the Nike ad with the people obsessed with shoes is awful.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gaunab posted:

A lot of commercials are using the same music. I think that "if you ain't where it is" song has been played like six months straight on several different commercials. It's so bad that I was surprised it was a real song since it sounds like it was created by a committee.

Is that the one that's on those Samsung phone commercials, because that loving song makes me strongly consider punching my television

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Add Portugal the man (I refuse to spell it the correct way) to the list of overused-in-commercials artists.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Cyril Sneer posted:

Add Portugal the man (I refuse to spell it the correct way) to the list of overused-in-commercials artists.

I can't turn on the radio without hearing Feel it Still or one of a dozen Ed Sheeran songs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Beastie posted:

I can't turn on the radio without hearing Feel it Still or one of a dozen Ed Sheeran songs.

Whenever I hear Ed Sheeran I really want to break things, I'm not sure why this happens.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Not since that Cadillac ad has there been such an accidental self own on the American capitalist system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2zkZgZYEng

I know this one isn't new but it's been on a bunch and when I don't mute it in time I get "THEY CALL ME D.J NANA" stuck in my head.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Radish posted:

Not since that Cadillac ad has there been such an accidental self own on the American capitalist system.

I know this one isn't new but it's been on a bunch and when I don't mute it in time I get "THEY CALL ME D.J NANA" stuck in my head.

Not even GMC's commercials to the tune of Eminence Front?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Radish posted:

Are they trying to play on The Jeeps "Bucko" catchphrase 🤨

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Doctor Butts posted:

Or GE's ads extolling the virtues of coal to the tune of Sixteen Tons?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

raditts posted:

Or GE's ads extolling the virtues of coal to the tune of Sixteen Tons?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

Irony is dead.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

If we didn't have video proof that it was real and completely meant to be taken as genuine, you would never convince me that wasn't satire.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This commercial isn't offensive really, but there's one thing about it that just bugs the gently caress out of me: this guy's glasses are off-kilter and it's all I can ever see now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeIsWu_pXhw

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

I actually spit out the water I was drinking when I saw this come on. It was some through the looking glass poo poo for sure.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I saw a commercial with the sound off at the gym but what I gathered seemed pretty hosed up. It was for some kid's nutrition drink (I think Pedialyte) and it was straight up saying your kid isn't going to grow unless they drink our stuff.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

This commercial isn't offensive really, but there's one thing about it that just bugs the gently caress out of me: this guy's glasses are off-kilter and it's all I can ever see now:

He also has varying levels of beard and it throws me off. In some he has a heavier beard and i make up the scenario that things are not going well at the addiction network

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

DizzyBum posted:

Not a good look putting a stethoscope on your janitor for a commercial.

Acting level: Lean forward and clasp hands for emphasis.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DizzyBum posted:

Considering that I only ever see these commercials on Subchannels, it reminds me that Farmers Only has somehow started making their commercials much worse.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m the heterosexual man in the Summer’s Eve commercial showering with his wife’s douche.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

DizzyBum posted:

I love having a skinny nerd stereotype from the 80's scream "WHY WON'T YOU ADMIT YOU'RE AN ADDICT?!" in my face.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

DizzyBum posted:

These come on all the time late at night, and I love how every iteration of it the glasses guy gets increasingly more intense. He'll hopefully go down in history as yet another classic commercial spokesperson/mascot. I love this man. He really cares about me and my addiction.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The Allstate ad where the kid is telling his parents about his fender bender seems to get longer every time they show it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There isn't a "best commercial" thread but this is certainly it.
(watch until the very end)

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

welcome to the pro-click zone

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
LONG Looonng maaaaaaaaaaaaannnn

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Holy loving poo poo that is the most incredible story I've ever seen played out in commercials. It's just... Perfect!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

StormDrain posted:

LONG Looonng maaaaaaaaaaaaannnn

I love when Japanese commercials are like jap>eng>moonspeak. If you aren't fluent in 6 languages just forget watching tv in Japan.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Its the living embodiment of a shaggy dog joke done perfectly.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Rover.com "Walkitoutwalkitoutwalkitout". :fuckoff:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Rirse posted:

Rover.com "Walkitoutwalkitoutwalkitout". :fuckoff:

At least you can understand it. The lady signing for axe body spray keeps asking you to rub her balls.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:vince:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Progressive commercials were never that great but the new focus on the Jamie sidekick guy is the worst.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Gaunab posted:

Progressive commercials were never that great but the new focus on the Jamie sidekick guy is the worst.

I just saw the one where he's coaching an a cappella group and it should be labeled a war crime.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sadly I doubt it’s up on YouTube, but I just saw a local ad for an electrician company called Patriot Electric Services.

Guys... the place is called PATRIOT Electric Services, and their company logo has an American flag in it... but the music playing in the ad was Dixie.

:heritage:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Conservative politics in Georgia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q1cfjh6VfE