Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Digital_Jesus posted:

Get a separate box to run veeam for vm backups then use a cloud service to offsite your veeam backups.

Works like a charm. Though Im not hot on crashplan myself, I have other offsite backup hosts.

I run Veeam locally and then use Azure storage sync to get my backups into Azure.

I even do test restores directly from azure storage over smb and it works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

The Fool posted:

I run Veeam locally and then use Azure storage sync to get my backups into Azure.

God bless you for testing your restores.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

someone on yospos slack was saying quip is the best thing ever https://quip.com/

idk anything about it though

My dream of collaborative Excel seems so much more achievable now! :downs:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hollow Talk posted:

My dream of collaborative Excel seems so much more achievable now! :downs:

https://www.smartsheet.com/

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Also the very obvious https://sheets.google.com.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Might as well https://office.live.com/start/Excel.aspx

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If only the largest banks in the US got up to the level of process control that smartsheet offers.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Digital_Jesus posted:

Get a separate box to run veeam for vm backups then use a cloud service to offsite your veeam backups.

Works like a charm. Though Im not hot on crashplan myself, I have other offsite backup hosts.

The Fool posted:

Thanks, this was helpful. I'm going to do Veeam to onsite storage and then CrashPlan the critical/finance stuff offsite rather than the whole machine(s).

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I am officially retiring our last 32-bit system as of tomorrow :toot:

Next up: Server 2008 R2

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010

Number19 posted:

I am officially retiring our last 32-bit system as of tomorrow :toot:

Next up: Server 2008 R2

Out with the old in with the new.

Got some major projects coming up with Server 2008 R2 getting close to end of support.

Can't wait.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
E: wrong thread

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I need to put in a UPS in a tiny office. Are there any good 1-2U UPS appliances? In place: 1 firewall, 1 WAP, 1 server doing DNS/DHCP/SMB file share (it's running on a desktop lol) I'd really only need enough juice to power this for 15 minutes.

we usually get apc smartups but idk if there's something better I should be looking at

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I need to put in a UPS in a tiny office. Are there any good 1-2U UPS appliances? In place: 1 firewall, 1 WAP, 1 server doing DNS/DHCP/SMB file share (it's running on a desktop lol) I'd really only need enough juice to power this for 15 minutes.

we usually get apc smartups but idk if there's something better I should be looking at

Last couple of times I've needed to buy a UPS I've just used the APC selector tool: http://www.apc.com/us/en/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I usually buy APC or Tripplite for 1-4U. They all equally suck (fail without warning etc)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Be careful because a lot of small UPSes are really deep for some reason, or they are shallow but to rack them needs a rail kit that requires a deep rack.

The Eaton Ellipse Pro is a small unit but you can get a rack kit for it that is shallow.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The Fool posted:

Last couple of times I've needed to buy a UPS I've just used the APC selector tool: http://www.apc.com/us/en/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm

thanks last time I used this I ended up buying one with the wrong voltage and everyone got mad at me

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

apc smartups 1500VA should be plenty tbh unless your server is actually a furnace

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

PSA with some poo poo I'm reading in SMBs suddenly woke about GDPR

Don't let anyone tell you GDPR is an IT problem. It isn't. It's a process control problem. A business process problem. How to devise and enforce policy minimizing customer data retention is up to management, tracking down who is using what data is up to each C exec within his/her responsibility, reporting on that data is up to a relationship between those data consumers and your devs, and finally deletion may involve your assistance with orchestration tools to go and pick EU Citizen Jesus H Christ's data out of backups or ensure any recovery process includes a subsequent removal of Christ's data in live systems.

Don't let the entire business make this an IT problem.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I mean let them make it an IT problem.

"We have too much customer data, fix it!"

rm -rf *

"Fixed."

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I just block all EU IPs from accessing my website :rollsafe:

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Digital_Jesus posted:

I mean let them make it an IT problem.

"We have too much customer data, fix it!"

rm -rf *

"Fixed."

rip your home dir

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Jeoh posted:

apc smartups 1500VA should be plenty tbh unless your server is actually a furnace

Yeah, this is our go-to option for remote sites, although it's not cheap with the network card.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I just got a casual request to make sure we're HIPAA compliant. I don't even know where to start, but we're a small shop with 2 IT people who have never had to be HIPAA compliant, so I can assure you we're not.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Gerdalti posted:

I just got a casual request to make sure we're HIPAA compliant. I don't even know where to start, but we're a small shop with 2 IT people who have never had to be HIPAA compliant, so I can assure you we're not.

hi5

Really looking forward to the conversation 5 years from now about GDPR. But I sent my CYA email, so I'm good!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Gerdalti posted:

If you allow users to touch computers, you're probably non-compliant.

Source: 6 years of being a medical IT consultant.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gerdalti posted:

Just write an internal policy that says that you treat customer data with confidentiality and you're done.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Digital_Jesus posted:

If you allow users to touch computers, you're probably non-compliant.

Source: 6 years of being a medical IT consultant.

Pretty much. I mean I think Microsoft finally addressed HIPAA in Windows 10 in December 2017?

I just tried my best to control what I could realistically control and CYAed everything else as much as possible.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

PSA with some poo poo I'm reading in SMBs suddenly woke about GDPR

Don't let anyone tell you GDPR is an IT problem. It isn't. It's a process control problem. A business process problem. How to devise and enforce policy minimizing customer data retention is up to management, tracking down who is using what data is up to each C exec within his/her responsibility, reporting on that data is up to a relationship between those data consumers and your devs, and finally deletion may involve your assistance with orchestration tools to go and pick EU Citizen Jesus H Christ's data out of backups or ensure any recovery process includes a subsequent removal of Christ's data in live systems.

Don't let the entire business make this an IT problem.

Perhaps this might be the first non-us law implicitly followed in the US?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

Perhaps this might be the first non-us law implicitly followed in the US?
Hahahahaha nobody in the US even follows existing US privacy law, why would we voluntarily follow some commie European snowflake stuff?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Aunt Beth posted:

Hahahahaha nobody in the US even follows existing US privacy law, why would we voluntarily follow some commie European snowflake stuff?

Because larger corps know the EU is exultant to bleed them to gently caress at 4% per year for fuckups and there's a huge amount of pushback against (a) US primacy in e commerce and socal media (b) US surveillance

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nobody gives a poo poo about much of US law because by and large it goes unenforced. You give a drat of you work with the DoD. You pretend to if you work in healthcare with a lot of smoke/mirrors/theory.

Thinking the same of EU political will to wield GDPR as a weapon is a good way to find yourself selling to a competitor in a few years.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

or just say gently caress 'em and don't allow those commie bastards to buy your poo poo anymore (except for the actual former commies who don't care either)

https://forums.warpportal.com/index.php?/topic/235548-important-notice-regarding-european-region-access/ posted:

Due to the changes of our company's service policy for the European regions, we are saddened to bring you news that, all games and WarpPortal services to the European regions listed below will be terminated on May 25th, 2018.
The following European countries will be affected by the termination of service: All the European countries except for Russian Federation and the CIS countries.

All WarpPortal game access and account access will be blocked by regional IP. Refunds will be gradually sent for purchases made from February 1st 2018 to April 30th 2018 to those affected by this service termination.

We have updated our User Agreement and Privacy Policy to reflect the new changes going forward.

We thank you for your patience and understanding.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I mean, if you want took at a market 5% larger than the US and think "nah they're commies" because you can't be arsed to pony up some dev cash, I hope you're comfortable about your niche right up to the point someone who did pushes you out domestically.

This isn't a low margin sector, and the tooling and business processes involved with GDPR compliance aren't exactly at odds with fostering good business intelligence systems or DFIR either.

If you've made the jump to gdpr, you've also made the bed for good insight into your actual business process. That's money, fuckos.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 27, 2018

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

I mean, if you want took at a market 5% larger than the US and think "nah they're commies" because you can't be arsed to pony up some dev cash, I hope you're comfortable about your niche right up to the point someone who did pushes you out domestically.

This isn't a low margin sector, and the tooling and business processes involved with GDPR compliance aren't exactly at odds with fostering good business intelligence systems or DFIR either.

If you've made the jump to gdpr, you've also made the bed for good insight into your actual business process. That's money, fuckos.

I agree 100% but quoted that because the shortsightedness and lack of business awareness made me laugh. Plus I never considered geofencing an international customer base, which is kind of original I think

'Make a reasonable eula and fix our business and software so we can be transparent to customers about their data and be GDPR compliant? Nah, let's just ignore 550 million potential users and boot the ones we already had'

:thunk:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ah okay gotcha

I'm entirely too excited for the coming few years; meaningful penalty on infosex fuckup is going to feel pretty good, and we just might get a stronger infosec industry out of it.

Kinda going to separate the businesses that run actual business from the ones that just throw stuff at a wall then softly moan "reeeeeee" when things go wrong.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 27, 2018

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

Ah okay gotcha

I'm entirely too excited for the coming few years; meaningful penalty on infosex fuckup is going to feel pretty good, and we just might get a stronger infosec industry out of it.

Kinda going to separate the businesses that run actual business from the ones that just throw stuff at a wall then softly moan "reeeeeee" when things go wrong.

we might, especially in the real businesses group you mention. They’ll be forced to do GDPR properly due to their size and they have the capacity for it. I think it’s more likely that the second category you mention is still going to be there and equally big, flying under the radar. There’s so many of those that they’re only going to get in trouble after some security incident arises because the chance of running into proactive auditing is so slim. pretty much the way things are currently, except the consequences of not doing things Right are worse

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Gerdalti posted:

well I know hipaa requires your company to have someone in a chief privacy officer role and someone in a chief infosec officer role so give each other a new title and enjoy.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What do you all use for the internal vulnerability scanning bits of PCI compliance?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Jack the Lad posted:

What do you all use for the internal vulnerability scanning bits of PCI compliance?

For just internal regular scanning, Nessus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

For just internal regular scanning, Nessus.

Nessus, Qualys work.